Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Welcome to the Rooster

• Start Topic

An eco-conscious new neighbor, and his pet rooster disrupts the community, leading a desperate Dave and Calvin to team up on a covert mission to restore order. Also, when Tina stops by Marty's apartment for a surprise visit, the youngest Butler son is forced to come clean about a long-held secret

Airdate: 12/07/2020

That rooster was quite handsome. 

One the one hand, the story line made me cringe because I hate any cruelty when it comes to animals so when they were discussing killing him, I wasn't thrilled. But at the same time, I knew they wouldn't so I laughed but then felt guilty. This episode left me very conflicted, heh. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I am supposed to believe that when Marty first moved into his apartment everybody in his family didn't completely look at every nook and cranny. I wouldn't be surprised if his entire family didn't have keys to get in.

Gemma could have used a little more screen time.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Most urban areas that allow chickens only allow hens, not roosters.  

If you want eggs, you need a rooster. But I think that guy just wanted a pet.

Of course, this is a sitcom, so they had to have the kidnapping (chicken-napping?) part, but they should have just reported it. Seems to me that would be a noise nuisance. We would have gotten another chance to see Wayne Brady!

• Love 3

Once upon a time....there was all this.  LMAO. Best line of the episode. I love how much Tina and Calvin are into each other.

I liked that they remembered that Gemma grew up in a rural area and therefore she wasn't bothered by the noise. A nice bit of continuity there that shows the writers are paying attention.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Of course, this is a sitcom, so they had to have the kidnapping (chicken-napping?) part, but they should have just reported it. Seems to me that would be a noise nuisance. We would have gotten another chance to see Wayne Brady!

3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Only if you want them fertilized. Hens will produce eggs regardless.

• Love 1

That rooster sound is the EXACT same tone as my alarm. Exactly the same. It startled the hell out of me. I chose that alarm because it was the most obnoxious and would get me out of bed. I guess they have stock sounds. 

• Love 2

As I also understand it from my abandoned degree at the College of Suburban Farm Pets, in a flock of chickens without a rooster, the most dominant hen will take on the aspects of a rooster's behavior and their role so far as protecting the flock, keeping everyone in line, etc. is concerned.  Taking on those aspects sometimes will also include crowing like a rooster.  So getting rid of a problem rooster may not necessarily solve the problem.

Ironically, this morning was the first time I've heard my across-the-street neighbor's new chicken flock's rooster crowing.  They've had the chickens for a month or so now, but I've barely heard a peep.  We do live out in the country so there is a fair amount of separation between houses, but their coop is in their front yard against the fence, and my bedroom is in the front of my house.  When I heard the rooster crowing, I thought "Nah, it is just suggestion from the episode last night."  But no, it was the rooster.  I didn't mind it, when I checked the time it was 7AM and about time for me to get up anyways.  It wasn't all that annoying either.  Yet....  My favorite vacation spot is Kauai, and they have a LOT of feral chickens including lots of roosters roaming around, crowing at all hours.  So the sound reminds me of lovely vacation times, and that's OK.

I like the new neighbor.  I like his matter of fact IDGAF attitude.  I like that he flummoxes Calvin.  I especially liked Calvin's line "You're finally cooler than a black guy, David."

• Love 4
On 12/9/2020 at 8:52 PM, Machiabelly said:

Oh, I hate the new neighbour. When someone brings you a gift you don't call them foot soldiers for the sugar cartels, and you don't put your desire for a rooster over your neighbour's sleep.

Wait, I needed to be more clear.  I like the new neighbor as a character for the show.  I hate him as a person.  He's certainly rude and annoying for exactly the reasons you listed.  But I see the potential for this character in the neighborhood providing some interesting and fun one-off conversations.  This guy is just counter to everything Calvin thinks a black guy should be, and Calvin continually running up against that, then comparing back to David, will be kind of amusing--on a limited basis. 

• Love 2