Type keyword(s) to search

Sister Monica Joan: The Senile One

• Start Topic

All the senile (dementia or Alzheimer's or whatever) people I've known, like my father before he died, have seemed kind of mean.  I guess it's that total lack of a gating system in the old brain.  I'm already scared about what I might say.  If all I talk about is Plato and Aristotle I'll be fine but I expect it will be something disgusting like what I'd like to do to the good looking young intern at the hospital.  (shudder) Kill me now.

)

• Love 2

I love her.

More correctly, I love Judy Parffit, but it's transferring nicely.

She makes all the sense in the world as long as you are able to decipher the way her brain works.

Aside from the dememtia, that is. And what's a little dementia between friends?

• Love 2

I love her simply because my grandmother has dementia and I see the same things happening.  Judy Parfitt is acting the part of Sister Monica Joan splendidly.  The fear and confusion, the outright anger at what's happening and frustration at not being able to be "of use", the meanness (yes, sometimes very mean because, as noted above, lack of filter), the moments of brilliant lucidity.  It's just perfect.

• Love 9

I like Sister Monica Joan, but I know that if I had to deal with her in real life, I would be totally exhausted after two days.  I like the way that the actress portrays the character as obviously suffering from dementia, but also showing that she probably has a bit of a mean streak in her as well.  And her love of sweets is funny.  I just watched the one (near end of season 4) where she opened the cake tin that Chummy had brought in expecting to find cake and was so crestfallen to find Mater's ashes.

I've not paid attention to a lot of what she says, but every once in a while she has some good lines.  I love this one:  'My books have been in boxes for far too long.  If they're not set straight, their contents will jumble and become deranged.'

• Love 3

I have some relatives with dementia, so I know I'm supposed to feel sympathy for her because she has dementia, but I really can't stand her.  And I know it's supposed to be "cute" but I hate that she is  so greedy when it comes to sweets.  Sure, she has her lucid, "good" moments, but they're not enough for me to like her.  

• Love 5

I love Sr. MJ.  Some of the stuff she says makes me think she's channeling the Dowager Countess on Downton Abbey.  

My mom had Alzheimers and it was sometimes difficult but I just had to think of her as a toddler in an adult body when she did odd things.  That made it easier to let things pass.  We don't dislike kids for acting childishly and people with dementia have no filters just like little ones.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Ohwell said:

And I know it's supposed to be "cute" but I hate that she is  so greedy when it comes to sweets. 

Something I learned from watching this show: people suffering from dementia often develop a sweet tooth. I had thought it was just a character detail but apparently it's a symptom.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Something I learned from watching this show: people suffering from dementia often develop a sweet tooth. I had thought it was just a character detail but apparently it's a symptom.

I think you're right.  I have a close relative who has dementia and she developed a craving for candy and cookies in the past couple of years and we couldn't figure out why; she never ate candy before.  However, she still doesn't act like Sister Monica Joan.

I don't care for  her character  at all, and I especially hate her manner of speaking. Funnily enough, my dear old Dad loved words and had an excellent vocabulary, and dementia did not diminish his ability to turn a beautiful phrase. Yet I find Sister MJ's flowery, cryptic speech patterns unrealistic and annoying as hell. I always get the sense  that  the show's writers must be very, very  pleased with themselves.

• Love 4

If anyone is familiar with ER, Pop is running the series. I was surprised to see a much younger Judy Parffit in the role of British Dr. Elizabeth Corday's mother in a few of the episodes. She becomes friendly with Dr. Mark Green's father. She was an attractive woman.

• Love 1