Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Patisserie Week

• Start Topic

On 11/17/2020 at 1:14 PM, Aulty said:

Noel and Matt chipping in again in the pre-juging chat. Pointing out Laura scraping by for weeks. But it had to be Hermine, its sad, but her Showstopper was crap. Laura is one lucky girl. I am not excited about the final.

Others have commented that Noel does this a lot, but this was the first week that it seemed to me that Noel was trying to influence the judging. I didn't like it.

On 11/20/2020 at 4:10 PM, krankydoodle said:

I wish we had found out what Hermine's original idea for her showstopper was and why she had to abandon it, or why she seemed to be completely winging it at one point. Even though she didn't have time to practice it, I was surprised when it seemed like she was just guessing at the amounts for some ingredients. I also wanted to know what Dave did differently to finally succeed with his caramel since they made a point of showing him fail at making it twice.

Did she say she had just rewritten it the night before? I wonder if she was second-guessing herself and as a result was making decisions on the fly.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:57 PM, phalange said:

As an American, I did laugh at Dave being confused by what a cornucopia is supposed to look like. It's like a few episodes back when no one understood how to make a crescent. He tried, though.

His made sense, for someone who didn't know what a cornucopia was. He positioned it like it was growing out of the plate, rather than just lying there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2020 at 5:02 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

I guess I'm in a minority but I like Laura. I love how she's always up to laugh, and pokes fun at herself. She seems to be a happy, cheerful person, and I get the feeling that the competition is taking a lot out of her. She's seemed less bouncy the last couple of weeks. I also love her exchanges with Matt--I know she's a fan and it must be such fun for her ton trade quips and just casually say "Hey, Matt, can you get me a spoon?" or whatever. 

^100%

• Love 4

Love Hermine, but quite frankly she panicked a bit, the pressure apparently  getting to her in the Semifinals stage.  Improvising your recipe with gelatine at the last moment,  Oh no.

Laura is messy, emotional and what reality TV loves, a "cryer".  Having said that, the judges rarely have issues with how her bake taste, which is something you can't say about so many other contestants.

• Love 3
On 11/21/2020 at 9:29 AM, Ellaria Sand said:

Agree about the US competitive cooking/baking shows. I don't watch any of them. I watch this show precisely because it is soothing and beautiful to look at (the English estates!). It is good for my soul.

I have really enjoyed this season of TGBBS.  All the contestants were really nice and seemed to get along even though it is a competition.  Early on there was an accident where the lady was swatting at a fly and knocked one of Dave's bakes onto the floor.  He did not get mad and was so gracious to her.  He has been so cool and just a nice guy throughout.  Laura is fun and seems to love baking though she is a bit clumsy.  I can relate.  Hermine was fun to watch and it seemed her skill was great.  But as the judges have often said, who goes home is based on what is produced in the three bakes that week, not previous work.  However, I do remember one season where that was not the case.  Rakesh, who went on to win, had a terrible week, but they sent Ruby home instead.  I hated that season.

I miss Sue and Mal.  They were fun and not obscene.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, CatLady said:

Rakesh, who went on to win, had a terrible week, but they sent Ruby home instead.  I hated that season.

I miss Sue and Mal.  They were fun and not obscene.

You probably mean Rahul but Ruby was not sent home she was a finalist so I'm not sure who you mean? Mel and Sue could be obscene they were just a bit more ladylike about it. Definitely remember Sue talking about Paul's balls.

GBBO is one of my favorite shows to watch. I agree it's on shaky ground right now but I'm still hopeful it will recover it's glory days.

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, dgpolo said:

You probably mean Rahul but Ruby was not sent home she was a finalist so I'm not sure who you mean? Mel and Sue could be obscene they were just a bit more ladylike about it. Definitely remember Sue talking about Paul's balls.

GBBO is one of my favorite shows to watch. I agree it's on shaky ground right now but I'm still hopeful it will recover it's glory days.

You are right.  His name is Rahul.  And it was Manon who had to leave so Rahul could stay.  He made errors on all three tasks  that week but he got to stay.  From what I understand there was many, many viewers who felt as I did about the rank favoritism toward Rahul.

Mel and Sue may have alluded to some things but Noel and Matt are being pretty specific.  It seems to tarnish a fun and clean show.

Overall I really love the show.  Home bakers who love what they do striving to learn and master difficult techniques is appealing, especially when the bakers are nice people, which most of the contestants seem to be.

• Love 2