Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Japanese Week

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

That's not what he said at all plus pulled a face when they were mentioned.  

Also, while I could easily see being digestively sensitive to them, it's probably pretty rare to be allergic to either cucumber or vinegar (the two main components). An allergy to salicylates (a chemical in cucumbers) apparently is not uncommon, but salicylates also exist in equal or greater measure in many other foods. 

• Useful 1

I'm still struggling with the "Signature bake" - being a tried and true home recipe - as a part of the competition.  Your family favorite Japanese bake recipe?!  Really?  If they've thrown that concept out, why not call it something else?  It's like it's a "Day One Showstopper."  I do realize it's not really been a "signature" thing for a while now.

But I thought it cool to have them doing new things, and I like technical challenges where the contestants learn a new technique, or like Pru said, things they already know how to do, just applied in an unusual way. 

Always a fun show to watch.  Sorry to see Mark go.  And I agree - a Mark and Lottie show (with guest appearances by Noel) would be a hoot.

One thing I really like is the comraderie this time, due to the living arrangements. They all really seem to be fond of each other and seem to know each other.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 6
On 11/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, SandyToes said:

I'm still struggling with the "Signature bake" - being a tried and true home recipe - as a part of the competition.  Your family favorite Japanese bake recipe?!  Really?  If they've thrown that concept out, why not call it something else?  It's like it's a "Day One Showstopper."  I do realize it's not really been a "signature" thing for a while now.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right - so many of these "signature" bakes aren't signatures at all anymore.  I wouldn't want to call it a showstopper, though, as there really should be only one showstopper per episode.  And the showstoppers haven't been much of showstoppers lately, either. 

So, what to call the first bake, if not a signature?  Judge's Choice?  Fan Favorites?   Random Bake That Fits The Theme of the Week? 

Edited by chaifan
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/30/2020 at 9:55 AM, Omeletsmom said:

I thought I heard several people get that comment.  I can't tell you who without rewatching, but I remember thinking how ironinc that a steamed bun could be deemed dry.

Steamed buns are one of my fav foods, and sadly they are often very dry. Both the bread and the filling. It's so disappointing when that happens!

On 10/30/2020 at 1:47 PM, AZChristian said:

I was googling around on my phone while waiting for my husband.  Apparently, there has been some controversy about this being called a Japanese challenge.  The steamed buns, for example, are a Chinese cuisine item, not Japanese.  And panda bears?  And curry?

I appreciated the curry bun -- while Japanese curry is my least fav curry, katsu curry is a classic dish. They weren't required to use Japanese flavors, but he got extra credit points from me for embracing it.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:14 PM, Kromm said:

One thing that was in the back of my mind while watching is that even Steamed Buns don't really fit the theme.  They're traditionally CHINESE not Japanese.  They do indeed exist in Japan, under the name Nikuman, but they're acknowledged as a Chinese item, Bao, that's been adopted. 

Thanks for this. I'm very familiar with Japanese culture and food and don't think of buns as a part of it. Borrowing bao makes a lot of sense, though. That's the problem with challenges like this where they have to stretch -- that item exists but it's not exactly iconic. And it does make one wonder if they were conflating cultures a bit.

On 11/2/2020 at 12:15 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I do love a good steamed bun. 

I'm squarely on the dill pickle side of the pickle fight.

We can sit together! A great bbq pork bun is the food of the gods. And dill pickles all day, but never sweet ones.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:46 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Bath is short A. The ah sound is not. 

On 11/1/2020 at 2:56 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Well, they say b-ah-th across the pond, further complicating things. 😁

It depends where you're from and your family background.  I'd be willing to bet that Paul says bath with a short a and Prue certainly says it with the long a. 

And look at (or rather listen to) how Americans butcher Des Moines.

Just watching this season now (the last season I haven't watched), and I was sorry to see Mark go. I also thought it was really sweet that Dave looked crushed-- like, he was actually teary-eyed at the end there. Despite all the negative comments he seems to get here, I like Dave, and I noticed all the way back in maybe the second episode that he seemed to really like Mark; they were sitting next to each other during the Technical judging, and when the judges said nice things about Mark's food, Dave gave him this delighted little nudge. 

• Love 1