Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: The Blind Auditions Season Premiere

• Start Topic

I wasn't very impressed with any of the singers. I actually ended up fast forwarding through the first audition. I think my fav singer was actually Corey Ward who sang "Way Down We Go", but didn't get a chair turn. Maybe he'll be one of the comeback artists.

I liked Gwen's t-shirt launcher. I don't care what people say, I think she and Blake are cute and fun together. 😊

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 5

I'm not particularly impressed with any of the contestants either. For me if they weren't mush-mouthing their way through songs, the band was drowning them out. How the show has lasted this long with such crappy sound engineering, I will never understand. It is seriously awful. 

I can see once again the Voice is a hot topic around here. Heh.

I don't know if I'll watch eventually as I like to finish watching the previous season before starting a new one. I gave up when the competition came down to glorified versions of people singing into hair brushes while bouncing on their beds at home. Lost a little something in the transition.

Also losing Nick this year and filling the opening once again with Gwen doesn't really make me very excited to tune in.

• Love 6

I am not  a fan of Gwen's coaching. All she's interested in are little girls and the only coaching advice she gives is how she can help bring out their personality on stage. I think she has a really pretty smile though but the outfits she wears look like something you would see on ice skaters.

Kelly looked like she lost weight and looked really pretty in that black jumpsuit and I liked that she didn't have her usual red eye-shadow on.

I don't get the coaches they don't turn then tell the person how good they were. Then turn and do your coaching duties to help make them better. It's like they're only looking for someone that's already ready for the finals they don't want to put any work into it.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Also losing Nick this year and filling the opening once again with Gwen doesn't really make me very excited to tune in.

Same. Nick was such a pleasure to watch last season because he spoke like a musician. Though he did occasionally fall into the “you’re so amazing/special/unique” BS platitudes the other judges use, I enjoyed listening to his specific advice. His brothers did a good job of that as well. If a show is going to employ “coaches,” I want to see some actual coaching rather than all that unicorn nonsense. Gwen’s fixation on looks and personality drives me crazy, because she doesn’t understand that the “indie singer/songwriter girl” hat does not equal personality.

Also: I have never liked Gwen’s voice. I remember getting dragged to Bush concert by a friend in the early 90’s (I wasn’t a fan but she didn’t want the guy she was going with as friends to think it was a date). The Goo Goo Dolls were the opening act. We got there during the warm-up act and it was seriously awful. Like, everyone was asking who the hell these people were. Some crappy band called “No Doubt” that no one had ever heard of. When they finally got big I never changed my opinion and I *still* think Gwen is overrated. When I’m not fast-forwarding her time on camera, I’ve never heard her say anything useful.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I remember getting dragged to Bush concert by a friend in the early 90’s (I wasn’t a fan but she didn’t want the guy she was going with as friends to think it was a date). The Goo Goo Dolls were the opening act. We got there during the warm-up act and it was seriously awful.

Hah I think I saw them during that tour as well! It was 1996. Honestly, the only thing I remember from the show was that a girl threw up on my chuck taylors while I was standing in the merch line. 😖  In episode 2, I thought it was funny that Gwen said something along the lines of how the Fuel song was giving her PTSD from the 90s. I wonder if it was just from that time period, or because it's when she got together with Gavin Rossdale? I think the only No Doubt song I liked is Just a Girl, because I could relate to it back then.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Hah I think I saw them during that tour as well! It was 1996. Honestly, the only thing I remember from the show was that a girl threw up on my chuck taylors while I was standing in the merch line. 😖  In episode 2, I thought it was funny that Gwen said something along the lines of how the Fuel song was giving her PTSD from the 90s. I wonder if it was just from that time period, or because it's when she got together with Gavin Rossdale? I think the only No Doubt song I liked is Just a Girl, because I could relate to it back then.

Late ‘95 for me, now that you mention it. The memorable things for me (aside from how terrible No Doubt was): Gavin was so wasted, he didn’t know where he was. We were so close to the stage, we could see how glazed his eyes were. Also, it was my first time smelling pot: somebody walked past us *reeking* of it and one of my friends had to tell me what the smell was. I learned to never again go to a concert that only had “festival seating” because the crush of unwashed grunge-fan bodies was not pleasant.

I caught Gwen’s PTSD comment too and it made me laugh, given my own (fake) PTSD from seeing her perform back then. I thought the singer sounded like Ed Kowalczyk from Live. I kinda liked him.

22 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Late ‘95 for me, now that you mention it. The memorable things for me (aside from how terrible No Doubt was): Gavin was so wasted, he didn’t know where he was. We were so close to the stage, we could see how glazed his eyes were. Also, it was my first time smelling pot: somebody walked past us *reeking* of it and one of my friends had to tell me what the smell was. I learned to never again go to a concert that only had “festival seating” because the crush of unwashed grunge-fan bodies was not pleasant.

I caught Gwen’s PTSD comment too and it made me laugh, given my own (fake) PTSD from seeing her perform back then. I thought the singer sounded like Ed Kowalczyk from Live. I kinda liked him.

I went to see that tour too in late '95 although I was excited about seeing No Doubt and thought GooGoo Dolls were horrible! Just a Girl was my anthem! 🙂But the memory I have from that show was a couple who decided to go for it at the top of the bleachers - I was on the side mezzanine and had a perfect view as she straddled him. Lovely. 

So while I like Gwen/No Doubt - especially back in the 90's and such - I can't stand her as a coach. She doesn't really give them any strong help and focuses so much on the look. I also think her pitches are cringe-inducing. I really wish Nick was back - like everyone says, he really was there to coach them and help them be better. 

I really like that Fuel song and thought he did a good job with it and wish there would be more 90s rock mixed in. 

• Love 1

Before I watch, before I read anything I'm so glad they are in studio. I really didn't like the at home version. Also, why does Gwen need to dress like she's performing? I would love to see her wear jeans and a sparkly top instead. Anyway on with the show. See you later.

• Love 2

There needs to be an age that you need to be like 17. 14 is too young no matter how talented you are. You have to have a little maturity to handle the stress. You could see how nervous Hailey was.

How do you do such a sob story as the mom with cancer and then have her son not chosen? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, retired watcher said:

There needs to be an age that you need to be like 17. 14 is too young no matter how talented you are. You have to have a little maturity to handle the stress. You could see how nervous Hailey was.

How do you do such a sob story as the mom with cancer and then have her son not chosen? 

There also should be a ceiling.