Type keyword(s) to search

Your Hosts John & Zack: Framing the discussion

What are John's qualifications as a tiny house maven? Zack lives in one he built and tows it with him on tour for the outdoor gear company that sponsors his skiing.

Saw a pilot (so to speak) with Zack & his gf. He seemed much more spontaneous and relatable than on THN, where he's almost dopey-acting.

• Love 1

Sometime between when the shows were filmed and when they did the promos, Zack must have spent sone serious time in the gym. I confess, it was his arm bulging out of his sleeve that caught my attention to watch the show (although the tiny house movement does intrigue me).

I don't care for John; there's just sonething about him that doesn't click for me. I think he's a poor man's Peter from "Clean House" what with the psychological approach to discarding and decluttering.

I though the guy they brought in to help Zack with the bachelor pad had a much better chemistry with both Zack and the homeowner. I'd like to see more of him.

Edited by SmithW6079

I'm watching the "Top 10 Tiny Houses," which is basically a clip show, but it annoys me any time John talks about the houses "Zack and I built." No, John, Zack built the houses; you pretend to be a psychologist helping families downsize.

• Love 3

I must say, John and his douchiness is ruining my enjoyment of the show. He's not the only reason, but he comes across as smug and condescending. That, plus the manufactured drama of the short build time and unrealistic expectations of the homeowners.

• Love 3

I like Zach but John drives me crazy.  My daughter and I think this could be a 30 minute show with just Zach building and just about nothing about the family downsizing.  They are choosing this, I don't really care how they downsize and John talking to the kids just drives me batty.

• Love 4

Hadn't thought of it, but you're right.
One thing that might be interesting, is where do you buy the smaller things, and what's available.  I'd never seen those under-counter units that could be either freezer or refrigerator.

• Love 2

I can't take John's incessant use of "you guys."  Sometimes multiple times in one sentence!  And I'm not even necessarily against using "you guys" when addressing something other that a group of guys.  But...enough!

And then he makes it possessive by saying, "Your guys."  "What is your guys favorite part of the tiny house?"  Unbearable.

Dr. Drew does it on Teen Mom, such that I can't stand to watch it any more (which is probably a good thing).  But he says, "Your guyses," as in "What is the status of your guyses relationship?" 

So there's not even a consensus on how to mangle the possessive of "you guys," and people are freestyling it.  Argh.

I'm just about done with the show. I really don't like John, I can't stand the pop psychology to downsizing (Peter Walsh he ain't), and the families are starting to annoy me. I'm tired of building them all on trailers, like the families really are going to move them, and stuffing four people (plus pets!) in 200-square feet.

I would, however, watch Zach work with designers to build tiny homes.

• Love 1

I'm just about done with the show. I really don't like John, I can't stand the pop psychology to downsizing (Peter Walsh he ain't), and the families are starting to annoy me. I'm tired of building them all on trailers, like the families really are going to move them, and stuffing four people (plus pets!) in 200-square feet.

I would, however, watch Zach work with designers to build tiny homes.

My husband, who is in construction, thinks they must build most of these on wheels because codes are different.  When you don't have to abide by certain codes which might make the building less expensive.  The only time we have even heard them talk about a building inspector that I recall was the MS post-Katrina rebuild. 

If I built a tiny house, I'd want Zach involved but not John. 

• Love 1

My husband, who is in construction, thinks they must build most of these on wheels because codes are different.  When you don't have to abide by certain codes which might make the building less expensive.  The only time we have even heard them talk about a building inspector that I recall was the MS post-Katrina rebuild. 

If I recall, the Memphis episode mentioned something about city building codes, which is why they built the home on a trailer in their backyard as opposed to a lot.  

• Love 1

i also think that I like Zach because he walks the walk.  He lives in a tiny home and is very knowledgeable about what works.  Does Jon live Tiny?  What background does he have to be lecturing people about how to pare down?

• Love 1

Is it just me or did the formula for this show get really old really fast? Like, even faster than usual for these types of shows. I think it's the "OMG! We just realized we're getting married/relocating/have laundry to do in just five days and we need the house ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!" and the John "Let me play psychologist" tripe.

On "Tiny House/Big Living" or "Tiny House Hunting" (I forget which), they talk about talking several months to build or renovate a tiny house. I'd rather live in a house that was well-constructed than one of these. 

• Love 1

for some reason, I watch this show with half attention, I just watch the parts about the actual homes and how they are laid out and the clever gadgets. For some reason, at first I thought that Zack and JOn were a couple that lived in a tiny house, but I can tell that is now wrong, since I read that Zack lives with his girlfriend. Maybe it was the loose use of the word Zack my partner. 

I do remember that my trailer was allowed to have lower standards and the taxes were a lot cheaper than permanent located housing.

The last few episodes I watched were families looking for a weekend or vacation getaway. Nobody downsized anything, which meant Jon's full attention was on directing some "wants" for the house and acting as master of ceremonies. Don't hate him. Yet. Love how Zack figures out how to make the best use of space and builds some pretty cool stuff. I'd watch the Zack builds stuff hour, no problem.

I think a great "extra" show would be going back and if family or couple was willing, after a year or so, showing the ones who succeeded and the ones who failed. Some weren't in long term but many left in less than a year...I heard one, in months. That is I suspect more wanting an idea vs reality or wanting to be on TV.

I wish they'd mention how some get electricity or water and other issues that involve tiny homes.

One couple in an interview, said their outlets could only have one appliance on at a time or it overheated,  had smoke fill their home. Another said they had leaks, another had frozen pipes underneath her home (Zack mentioned that issue once) and her Dad wrapped them and the whole area under the house.  The more information they give beyond downsizing, the better outcomes they will have.

I saw youtubes called tiny house nation the first 24 that showed the couples real things going in the house, another reality moment. ; )  http://www.fyi.tv/shows/the-first-24/season-1/episode-10

One not on site  

The interviews later in articles are more realistic but I liked the first 24 for a peek into the homes without the props.

Edited by debraran