Type keyword(s) to search

Media for The Old Man

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

This is the best series I have seen in a long time.....

Yeah, its quite different than but also immediately great like Justified and the very first season of True Detective, in my opinion.

By the way, if you like this (you said generally of course), seek out an amazing series from Australia called Mr. InBetween. I can't recommend this enough although it hard to get (its still up on Hulu but no where else I can find).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

There was just an article in the NYT today about how shows that should stay one season are being renewed, mostly because streaming services need content and they want the dough.

It’s not just content, it’s proven successful content. Networks and streaming services throw a lot of expensive darts at the wall to find shows that will attract an audience and it makes economic, if not artistic sense, to try to milk the successful ones for more than one season.

(edited)

Well maybe by the end of this season, they won't have covered the whole book and the outline that was pitched assumed two or more seasons.

Given the production history of this show, with the delays due to Bridges health, you wouldn't think they'd just add more seasons cavalierly, just because it's been received so well.

It's possible the show was always conceived as a multi season thing.

I don't think they ever presented this as a limited series, have they?

Edited by aghst

Andy Greenwald says The Old Man has been renewed for season 2.

He expresses surprise, because this felt like a limited series and didn't think Bridges would sign up for another season at his age.

Just now, dubbel zout said:

I hate the practice of renewing shows that are obviously written to be one season. The subsequent seasons are usually never as good. 

That could be.

But I bet they invested a lot of time and money to set this first season up so maybe they think they could make more money with an additional season, especially after how well the show was received.

Yeah it may not result in the best storytelling but we'll see how the rest of season 1 goes.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:18 AM, aghst said:

Andy Greenwald says The Old Man has been renewed for season 2.

He expresses surprise, because this felt like a limited series and didn't think Bridges would sign up for another season at his age.

Bridges has been ill, so that may be an issue. However, they may feel that Angela/Emily may be a character worth following, and if they have either Lithgow or Bridges they can find someone else. Then all they need is another spy plot and they are off.

6 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Bridges has been ill, so that may be an issue.

He's fine now. The show stopped filming during this season after he was diagnosed with cancer and then contracted Covid.

I don't know if TV actors need to be insured the same way movie actors do, but I doubt he'd continue if he didn't think he could do it.

• Like 2

Interview with the executive producers after the finale.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/the-old-man-finale-producers-discuss-ending-1235074172/

So it was suppose to be 10 episodes, not 7 and Bridges illnesses interrupted the schedule.

One of the first things they shot when Bridges came back was the car chase scene in the finale.  They didn't have him do do anything too physical.

That may be why the hand to hand combat in the first two episodes wasn't repeated but also being realistic a guy in the 70s barely escaped being captured or killed against much younger foes.

They plan to reveal more of Zoe's story in season 2 and have both Chase and Harper see Afghanistan 30 years later.

Apparently in the book there are suggestions that Chase stole a lot of money but they're not delving into that, wants the flashbacks to be about other things than money.

• Love 1