Type keyword(s) to search

The Amber Ruffin Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Peacock will be streaming this weekly half-hour comedy show starting September 25.

The Amber Ruffin Show will be a mixture of jokes, sketches and thoughtful monologue.

Jenny Hagel, will exec produce alongside Amber Ruffin, Seth Meyers and Mike Shoemaker.

Emmy and WGA Award nominee Amber Ruffin is a writer and performer for NBC’s Late Night with Seth Meyers and was the first Black woman to write for a late-night network talk show in the U.S. She wrote and performed on Comedy Central’s Detroiters and is a regular narrator on the cabler’s Drunk History. In addition, she was a writer/performer for the 2018 and 2019 Golden Globe Awards and has written for the series A Black Lady Sketch Show.

Amber Ruffin will also continue with her duties on Late Night With Seth Meyers, where she is a writer.

The show will initially launch without an audience, but hopes to be able to have an audience in the future.

• Love 6

Anyone else have a hard time finding this? It was supposed to air at 9, but neither my cable app nor Roku could find it. It finally showed up on the website about 20 minutes late. Hopefully, they'll get the bugs ironed out, but Peacock seems rife with bugs, so who knows?

I thought it was fun and a good try for a new "late night" show. I love Amber and hope it does well enough to keep it on. 

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought it was pretty funny. Shows like this without an audience tend not to be very funny, I suspect the show will get even funnier when she gets her audience.

And every show I can recall with a host doing monologues has always had a tenuous start, so, in comparison, this was pretty good. 
Tarik was great. Good casting for the "side kick."
But I really wanted to jump through my computer screen and jump on stage to give her a 3M giant Post-It pad to peel off like they have in those brainstorming meetings at work. Still, she didn't miss a beat pulling off the remaining bits of paper that were potentially in the way. And the drawings were good without being over the top.

• Love 3

Demetri Martin does bits with a tear off pad and drawings just like that, and I kept thinking of him while Amber was doing hers. They really should have ironed out the paper-ripping bugs in rehearsals, though!

I liked it, but maybe my expectations were too high, because I really think Amber is a genius but I thought the show was only okay.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2020 at 2:42 AM, possibilities said:

but I thought the show was only okay.

Me, too. Chalking it up to first show/no audience/still working out the kinks. Will definitely give it a chance.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:53 AM, AnimeMania said:

Amber Ruffin will also continue with her duties on Late Night With Seth Meyers, where she is a writer.

That's good to read. I was afraid we were losing "Amber Says What" and that made me sad.

• Love 1

Shows 2 and 3 were much better. I think the low budget shows a lot, but only because she's ambitious and not just sticking to straight desk stuff that's easier to do without money. I mean-- song and dance routines! Costume dramas!

I love the lullabyes!

Her VP debate recap was great-- the fly dominated the rest of the media coverage, but Amber actually highlighted KAMALA. And she reminded everyone of Melania's profane anti-xmas rant, so that was also good.

I also like her suits. Razzle dazzle but still formal-- it's perfect.

I'm really hoping people will watch and maybe someday she'll get the bigger audience/bigger budget. It makes a good companion for Wilmore. Larry does a good job, but he has two interviews to fill time, and Amber is carrying her show with just herself and her sidekick (is his name Terrance? or is it Tarik?)! Getting the guests just for the good-bye cracks me up. I get the sense that she will never run out of material and will just get better and better the more she's allowed to follow her ideas. 

I'm also glad we may still see her on Seth's show. I like the bits she does there, too.

Don't exhaust yourself, Amber! We love you and want you healthy!

• Love 7

The Amber Ruffin Show is curiously missing from Peacock tonight. I went looking for why and couldn't find anything. Here are some videos that were posted today.

Seth Off-Air: Amber Ruffin   In this podcast exclusive conversation, Seth talks to Amber Ruffin, host of The Amber Ruffin Show on Peacock, away from his desk in Studio 8G.

https://podcasts.apple.com/fi/podcast/seth-off-air-amber-ruffin/id1182084796?i=1000495004930

45 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The Amber Ruffin Show is curiously missing from Peacock tonight. I went looking for why and couldn't find anything

Amber tweeted: "The Amber Ruffin Show will be back next week with an all new episode. TONIGHT WE REST!"  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I love her so much!! I can't choose a favorite part of the show, but I agree the singing and dancing is a great mood lifter, whatever the subject. I also love her "business fabulous" outfits. And yes, "Day 2" joke was great, especially how she committed to it rather than just saying it and moving along quickly. I also really love that she only has guests on for a few seconds at the end. She's flipping the format of a late night show and I can't get over how much fun she is. I'm also impressed that for a topical show that airs at the end of the week, she manages not to just repeat everything that's already been said, but comes up with a fresh take.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

And yes, "Day 2" joke was great, especially how she committed to it rather than just saying it and moving along quickly.

Yes, her timing is actually way better than Seth’s or Fallon’s, who just keep reading. 

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I'm also impressed that for a topical show that airs at the end of the week, she manages not to just repeat everything that's already been said, but comes up with a fresh take.

Good point. 
The show still seems a little rough around the edges to me, but, again, still way better than the first shows of the 3 main late nighters were (the Jimmys and Colbert).

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The show still seems a little rough around the edges to me

She seems to want to do the entire show in one take. I would be OK if she wants to take another try at that bit again if it will be funnier.

Was Tarik Davis violating the rules of their previous song by dressing as Bruce Lee? Did they mean dressing up as a "person from another race" or dressing up as a "person who is from another race"?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

She seems to want to do the entire show in one take. I would be OK if she wants to take another try at that bit again if it will be funnier.

Was Tarik Davis violating the rules of their previous song by dressing as Bruce Lee? Did they mean dressing up as a "person from another race" or dressing up as a "person who is from another race"?

Yes, and yes, and Amber's costume too. I wondered if she doesn't have the time allotted to do retakes, and if the costumes were supposed to be an anti-cancel twist.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I loved last night's outfit, and even more so in front of the sparkly red, blue, etc. background:

image.png.17ad58eb6d8617b72fe5c03cf3b41e0e.png

(Sorry, not the best screen grab)

On 12/11/2020 at 1:04 AM, AnimeMania said:

I stand by your assessment too, Amber! 🤣

2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Extended is a weird notion. It's not really a renewal. 

I believe the term we're more familiar with is "back half of the season," but that's from the Before Times.

• Love 5

Don't forget to watch the Amber Ruffin Show or you might not learn that Mary J. Blige turned 50 😉 or that "You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey: Crazy Stories About Racism" is also available as an audiobook read by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Lamar.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

We don't have a studio audience, but we have a Tarik Davis, oh wait, no we don't.

Tarik did have an apparently pre-taped spot in which he had a baby --so I was guessing IRL he was on paternity leave. Maybe?

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the first-time substitute side-kick slipped right into the role.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

They are giving her a test run on NBC on Fridays in place of Lily Singh reruns. 

All right!! I like Lily, but her show has suffered with quarantining. I love Amber, but Peacock interface is probably one of the worst to navigate. This will be excellent exposure.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They are giving her a test run on NBC on Fridays in place of Lily Singh reruns. 

I wonder if the show will also air on Friday night at 9 Eastern on Peacock since I would probably have to DVR it and watch it the next day if it doesn't. I am pretty sure it will air later (sometime Saturday) on Peacock if not.

On 2/19/2021 at 6:16 PM, AnimeMania said:

I wonder if the show will also air on Friday night at 9 Eastern on Peacock since I would probably have to DVR it and watch it the next day if it doesn't. I am pretty sure it will air later (sometime Saturday) on Peacock if not.

You might have already figured this out but it will continue to air on Peacock at 9 and the  1:30 on NBC.

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:
On 2/19/2021 at 9:16 PM, AnimeMania said:

You might have already figured this out but it will continue to air on Peacock at 9 and the  1:30 on NBC.

I watch it on Peacock usually a day later just because I can. 

I’m not sure the gory sword stabbing was the best bit for the show’s first prime time, network airing, but Amber can be counted on to push the envelope, so I guess I should have expected something OTT.