Type keyword(s) to search

The Amber Ruffin Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I had known that the SATs were a biased, bullshit measure, but I had not realized how consciously manipulated they were. No matter how bad things are, it always turns out they're actually worse than they seemed.

I watch clips sometimes on YouTube, and that one was pretty interesting, especially since SATs aren't really a thing that matters in Canada. Although I kind of wish it had been longer, since just about everything I know about the SATs is from tv shows, and most of that is that there are English and Math sections and people who you think are dumb often do really good on them. So if half the test is math, I couldn't really figure out how you can make a math question racist. I mean sure the system that teaches how to answer questions can be racist and that is shitty, but I am not sure that is the same thing.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
11 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So if half the test is math, I couldn't really figure out how you can make a math question racist. I mean sure the system that teaches how to answer questions can be racist and that is shitty, but I am not sure that is the same thing.

I don't have an example handy, but I recall years ago reading or hearing (on NPR?) examples of SAT (and ACT?) math story problems that had references and examples that those growing up in the projects would have never seen or heard about. The SATs are a timed test, which does not leave a student time to ponder WTH is La Crosse? 

Also, many scholarship students who came to the college where I was employed often had to take "remedial" math courses because Calculus (or even Advanced Algebra) was not offered at their high schools. My own oldest daughter went to a high school where no AP (Advanced Placement) course were offered. 
Not all, but some of these students quickly grasp the concepts of higher math once they have been presented.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

NBC Nabs ‘Aunties’ Comedy From Shantira Jackson, Amber Ruffin & Seth Meyers As Put Pilot

Shantira-Jackson-Amber-Ruffin.jpg?w=681&

Shantira Jackson, a comedy writer from The Amber Ruffin Show, has a put pilot commitment for "Aunties" and Amber Ruffin will executive produce. 

A put pilot commitment means the network has agreed to air the pilot, or it will owe the studio a significant amount of money. This used to be a way of ensuring the show got picked up.

Aunties tells the story of what happens when a young woman goes back home and helps raise the women who raised her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh I didn't know they were going on a long winter break. I was worried when I didn't see any new shows in January. She's gonna miss most of February too. I guess that's what I get for not being on Twitter.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

They're not letting us watch it free-with-commercials anymore, it seems. 

Apparently? 
I'll keep checking to see if there's a just a one-week embargo or something.
☹️
It would be nice if they'd given us a heads up.

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It would be nice if they'd given us a heads up.

Yeah, if they're changing this show to Peacock Premium only, they could at least wait until the end of season 2. To make this change in the middle of the season was an unpleasant surprise. I guess I will eventually upgrade for her and some other Premium shows I like, but that means I gotta decide which one of my other streaming services I'll have to cut for it.🙁

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Cress said:

Yeah, if they're changing this show to Peacock Premium only, they could at least wait until the end of season 2. To make this change in the middle of the season was an unpleasant surprise. I guess I will eventually upgrade for her and some other Premium shows I like, but that means I gotta decide which one of my other streaming services I'll have to cut for it.🙁

I got lucky, Spectrum Cable subscribers got free Peacock Premium for a year.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1

Off target, but interesting none the less.

Peacock Hits 28 Million Monthly Active U.S. Accounts, 13 Million Paid Subscribers

That total is up from the 24.5 million Monthly Active U.S. Accounts and 9 million paid subscribers Comcast reported for Peacock at the end of 2021.

Peacock is hoping to have $3 Billion to spend on content this year, that it hopes will increase to $5 billion in the future.

(I got a free paid subscription to Peacock for having Comcast/Spectrum Cable Service) 

Guest interview:  Vanessa Williams from the Broadway play: POTUS: Or, Behind Every Great Dumbass Are Seven Women Trying to Keep Him Alive.

The Amber Ruffin Show will return June 17th.

Kale, it's Collard Greens for White People.

• Love 2

I just signed up for the 1 yr of Peacock premium for $19.99 (goes up to at least $49.99 if not canceled in 1 yr) so I can watch Amber on Friday nights and not have to piece together YouTube videos next day or later (and so I can watch other stuff too). 
The deal is good through the end of this month. 
Why do I feel like I just put my paycheck down at a poker table in Vegas?
(Not that I've ever been to Vegas or played poker, but I've seen it done on TV.)

• Love 1

S03.E01: September 30, 2022

Amber explores the outrage over “The Little Mermaid” and interviews Hillary and Chelsea Clinton.

Although there are possibly only 5 episodes this season, the episodes appear to be longer. The show could have used a little more Tarik Davis.

I signed up for Peacock Premium too and got caught up on Amber's shows recently.

I did like the show with Lacey and Debarge, but I'm not sure I like the new format where they do game-show stunts with a celebrity. That and the interviews make it seem like they don't have time for sketches anymore.

I did like Tariq and everybody offering to go to space to destroy that asteroid, though. That was a funny bit.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Tarik Davis is strangely missing from all the sketches and songs.

And Tarik seems to be deliberately projecting grumpiness during his “hi” to the audience.

I wonder what’s up. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The November episodes had some funny sketches and guests, but the next episode isn't until Dec 16th. I mean, I know it's the holidays, but it's been approximately 1 episode a month this season. They need to be more regular.

• Like 1

Just saw this news. Amber is starring in a pilot for a scripted sitcom. The article mentions the impact on her talk show:

While the first two seasons of the Peacock series were weekly, Season 3 consisted of only five specials; going forward, the streamer will continue to develop specials of the show rather than weekly episodes.

So it looks like the Amber Ruffin Show won't be regular anymore. I mean, I'm happy for her, but I'll miss the skits and songs.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I subbed to Peacock specifically for the Amber Ruffin Show. I guess that was a mistake.

9 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Unless you like Poker Face, I think it was a mistake.

I subscribed to Peacock mostly for Amber Ruffin, but also because it was only $20 for a year during the September sale.
Then on Black Friday at the end of November they had a 99¢/mo. for 12mo. deal ($12 for a year).

I love Poker Face and like being able to catch the occasional NBC episode that I missed.

So when my alert comes up in September, if there's nothing on Peacock that I don't want to miss at that moment, I'll cancel and then start it up again at the next sale. I'll try the same email again, but if it doesn't permit the deal again, I'll just use another.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Unless you like Poker Face, I think it was a mistake.

I do like Poker Face! 

And I did hop on the $20/year deal. 

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about it. And I'm happy for Amber, even though I'll miss her weekly show.

• Love 1

there are other shows and movies on Peacock that I like too, and I read somewhere that they were doing away with their free tier, so I'll have to pay anyway to continue watching. It's not like they're removing Amber's old shows, which I can still rewatch if I feel like it.

• Useful 1

NBC is developing another show with Amber based on the book she and her sister wrote. In the article they mention the talk show:

The show has run for three seasons on the streamer after launching in September 2020. The first two seasons were weekly, airing every Friday, but the third season, which launched in September 2022, only consisted of five specials.

In February, when Non-Evil Twin, which was written by and set to star Ruffin, was handed a pilot order, the company said it would continue to develop specials around the show.

However, we understand that no additional episodes have been ordered and it’s not clear whether the show will return for these specials.

There’s a few reasons for this; firstly, the late-night world is still on pause as a result of the writers strike, Peacock is still figuring out its strategy with regards to variety/talk and whether one of Ruffin’s scripted projects, such as You’ll Never Believe What Happened To Lacey, goes to series.

Edited by Cress
  • Useful 2