Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

6,509 steps yesterday.

I did run to grocery store yesterday and glad I went early. My road is a huge muddy swamp! I barely got out and then back in again after shopping. No way after the rain last night and this morning's showers am I even going to try to take the garbage up. Will move it to garage and hopefully next Monday the road will be better.

May have some shoveling to do today if we actually get snow (1-3" in forecast) and I'm sure some things will need to be found, no matter how carefully I secure them, some always manage to escape in the high winds.

• Like 6

6,822 steps yesterday.

My neighbor finally dragged the road with this huge weight and made it almost passable, I was able to get the garbage out. Yay!

Was trying to take it easy and then in the afternoon, Mama Millie decided the kitchen counter would be a great place to sleep. That is the one place cats are not allowed ever! After I discovered her the first time I diverted her to another sleeping spot and sat down. Not long after she disappeared again, got up and found her lazing up on the counter again! Some very firm No's and took her in the living room with me. Rinse repeat 2 more times. Then I put things along the edge of counter thinking to deter her. Not long after there she was again! Practically built a wall of things next to discourage her. I cleared a spot on the chest I have next to the end of counter to mix cat food and she sat there looking at the cats on the deck. That seemed to please her. But for the next few hours I kept getting up. to make sure she wasn't on the counter. And thus there were more steps than I really wanted...  

• Like 5

5,778 steps yesterday.

Hoping for a calm day so I can start going through things to get rid of.

Supposed to be another storm coming through tomorrow with lots of snow in the mountains, fortunately not much impact in the valleys. Except for high winds again. Ugh! As much as I dislike the bitter cold, I HATE the wind!!

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

5,778 steps yesterday.

Hoping for a calm day so I can start going through things to get rid of.

Supposed to be another storm coming through tomorrow with lots of snow in the mountains, fortunately not much impact in the valleys. Except for high winds again. Ugh! As much as I dislike the bitter cold, I HATE the wind!!

After having almost two weeks of 70-80 degrees and Monday it was 92.  We are going to have a few days in the 40-50 range and then back to the 70's again.  I've noticed a few trees blooming already.  Too early for that.  I hope I don't get sick from the constant change.  I use a nasal allergy spray, so hopefully that will help.  Yes it has been very windy here in Texas too.  Minus the temps you are having.  Stay warm and try not to over do it.

• Like 6

6,015 steps yesterday.

Made a quick grocery, PO and pharmacy run early. Rain and high winds coming so want to miss them if possible.

Thanks @Pickleinthemiddle! I try to take it easy but it seems the Universe always has slightly different plans. Along with the wind and possible rain we are having very Spring-like temps, today is supposed to be 50°/28°. We get rain in the valley but higher elevations are getting a lot of snow in places.

• Like 5

6,556 steps yesterday.

The errands brought the count up, the wind kept my going out and checking that things weren't blowing away.

Today's forecast is 42°/28° with flurries AM and maybe rain/snow later in day. Winds not as bad as yesterday. Heavy snow for mountains, maybe only an inch or two here. From what I can see outside right now (7AM) less than 1" of snow and 30°. I hope the forecast is right!  My hands just can't take too much more shoveling!

Will begin work on cat section of garage once weather settles. On the 8th, I have dentist appointment for 6 crowns to be done. That is not going to be fun!!

• Like 7

Go me!  I've now lost 80.8 lbs since my birthday in July, 46 of them since my surgery just before Thanksgiving. I feel good and am committed to continuing until my body decides it's ready to stop. 

• Applause 12

That is so great!!  You have every right to be proud of yourself!  Are you still being followed by a dr.? Sounds like a great plan to go until your body says stop, and not push yourself trying to get to some "magical" number.  Yay for you!!! (((HUGS)))

• Like 4

7,091 steps yesterday.

There was only just above an inch of snow yesterday, but I cleared the decks and paths as it is easier to do when it is fresh and light. Better to stay on top of it and not let it freeze hard overnight. Will do the same if more snow today, otherwise I will try to take it easy.

• Like 5

5,210 steps yesterday.

Feeling a bit off so really tried to take it easy. I'm going for the same today. Can't afford to get sick now with all the dental work coming on the 8th.

Sure is nice to see light outside this early (7:10AM) again, temp is 22° and a very light dusting of snow. Makes going out to feed kitties so much nicer.

• Like 6

4,565 steps yesterday.

Achey especially hands and knees. Hope the snow stays away for a while so I can rest up.

I need to make a cat food run as I don't think Chewy order is going to get out of Reno on schedule. Garbage gathering and taking can to road is about all I have on agenda for today.

• Hugs 7
(edited)

Late to post...

7,918 steps yesterday.

Shopping always adds steps, and then in the evening Mama Millie played one of her hiding tricks. I went throughout the house several times calling her and checking her normal hideouts. Then I was afraid she had gone out when I was cleaning the heated water bowl for the outside kitties so I searched the yard calling her and went all around the house. No luck. Gave up in frustration decided if she was out, she would be all night as she had been before. But she is older 8 or 9 and has had so many litters she isn't going to last many Winters outside. I walked inside and there she was sitting by the fridge with a "You looking for me?" look on her face. Brat! She wasn't cold so she had been hiding inside. Expended a lot of steps searching...guess I am a worry wart when it comes to her.

crazy cat lady?.jpeg

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

5,750 steps yesterday. Mama Millie decided to be a lap cat most of the afternoon so actually was able to get more rest than normal.

Today will start to tackle cleaning up garage while weather is nice.

• Like 6

7,309 steps yesterday.

Worked hard in garage yesterday, until my back stopped me. Half of it is cleared and storage shed now is holding spot for all the boxes of things we are moving out. Lots of bending and lifting. It was good I had help because otherwise I would easily have fallen down the rabbit hole of looking at all the things in the boxes! Back and hands gave out after about 3 hours but we accomplished a lot.

Really stiff and achey today but will be forced to sit a lot as Dentist appointment today for 6 crowns will take 3 hours, then travel time 1 hour each way. Not sure if it will be "restful" but I won't be walking much today!

(Guess I didn't hit Submit after I typed yesterday's post.  Oops!  Steps were 5,697 for Wednesday.)

• Like 7
On 2/19/2024 at 11:24 AM, ginger90 said:

Now you’ll find your missing gloves for sure, @Gramto6!!

I found my gloves!! The new ones weren't the "charm" though. They were in the tin shed that we were originally going to make into the "catterie". Some time ago, I had taken some things out of a box and then set the empty box on top of the gloves. When we were clearing the garage on Wednesday and putting boxes in the shed, I moved that empty box and there they were!!  I think my friend was kind of surprised how excited I got to find them. I was almost jumping for joy! 

I just knew they were not truly lost, I could "feel" they were around somewhere. I am one happy camper now!!  😸

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
On 3/5/2024 at 2:52 PM, Gramto6 said:

Late to post...

7,918 steps yesterday.

Shopping always adds steps, and then in the evening Mama Millie played one of her hiding tricks. I went throughout the house several times calling her and checking her normal hideouts. Then I was afraid she had gone out when I was cleaning the heated water bowl for the outside kitties so I searched the yard calling her and went all around the house. No luck. Gave up in frustration decided if she was out, she would be all night as she had been before. But she is older 8 or 9 and has had so many litters she isn't going to last many Winters outside. I walked inside and there she was sitting by the fridge with a "You looking for me?" look on her face. Brat! She wasn't cold so she had been hiding inside. Expended a lot of steps searching...guess I am a worry wart when it comes to her.

crazy cat lady?.jpeg

I’m a worry wart when it comes to all our cats. We have 7. 5 inside, 2 in/around the barn. One of my inside babies got out in November and somehow got in the crawlspace under my house. I spent an hour down there crawling around trying to corral him. Now if I can’t find one, I almost panic until I get eyes on them. 

• Like 7
(edited)

A rather surprising 6,194 steps yesterday.

9AM I was running around like a crazy person getting things done and taking care of kitties and had 1,847 steps! We drove to dentist, were early, so Mall Walked a bit, some of the 1,847 was in that. I only had 120 steps 10AM. Then zero for 11AM & 12PM. Minimal walking when I got home but did have 7 hours over 250. So I guess it all added up in the end.

Don't know how today will go as my jaw and my gums hurt so much I am considering an oxycodone pill this morning. The temporary crowns will be replaced on 3/29 with the final ones and molds for the lower bridge made. Still a ways to go before I am all done....And I really am not going to push it at all today.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Hugs 10

6,021 steps yesterday.

And that is what taking it easy is I guess... laundry and a little cleaning up outside. More sitting than usual though.

Today will be busy...back to work on garage.  At least mouth is feeling much better, feeling tired and achey still though.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 6

5,341 steps yesterday.

My friend wasn't feeling well yesterday, (too much Happy Birthday on Sat.)  😸  so no work in garage. It was good that I took another day "off" though as I do feel better today.

Garbage to the road, and if my friend is up to it, working in the garage is the plan for today. If no garage work, then I'll make a quick errand run.

• Like 6

5,194 steps yesterday.

Not a lot of steps but a lot of lifting, shifting and sorting through boxes. We're about 2/3 finished with clearing out and organizing. Then come the construction portion. The dead line is end of March as TNR reopens and my friend will be busy there again. She has been a real help and will do the construction as she had her own construction company for a longtime.

I got a little bogged down looking in some of the boxes...too many memories in them! Many to go through still...

So many of these boxes haven't been touched since I packed them for the move here, 20 years ago. And the tubs of Christmas decorations the same, so hard to look at all the beautiful ornaments that we collected and treasured together for years, carefully putting them up each Christmas and then packing them away for the next year. I kind of wish I didn't look in those tubs!

• Hugs 11

Just the thought of downsizing makes me tired!  It's hard to part with things that we've had for many years.  I've been looking at condos in the area, just to get an idea of how much we'll be able to keep in a smaller place.  

I never thought, when we moved here 30+ years ago, how hard it would be to have a multi-level house.  It's a lot different from being 30-somethings to now being 70ish seniors.  

• Hugs 9
(edited)

6,552 steps yesterday.

Quick PO & grocery run. While shopping, the furnace people called and said they are coming today to finish installation of A/C and moving thermostat. Great, but I'll have to postpone garage work for a day.  They'll be under the house and that is kitties "safety" spot so don't want to also take away the side yard one too by working near there. (Crazy cat lady flag flying here 😸) So Friday will be garage day instead.

It at least gives me another day of rest. Just some light work in garage is it for today.

I understand completely @xwordfanatik! I brought way to much here with me when I moved. DH's death was still weighing heavy on me then and I just couldn't sort things so boxed them up now here I am 27 yrs after he passed doing it! Very hard.....and sad....

Edited by Gramto6
  • Hugs 10

6,326 steps yesterday.

Never did get to garage yesterday. Lots or workmen in and out between the 2 Furnace men, then 2 Electricians to wire it into the house, it was kind of a mad house here! And of course I was watching and asking questions all along the way so lots of up and down as they worked.

A/C all installed except for a new breaker and then Monday furnace people will do the final start up procedure and I will be ready for whatever Summer brings!

Today will be back to the garage clearing/organizing hopefully.

• Like 8

6,993 steps yesterday. So close to the goal I have set right now of 7,000 steps! It was just by accident though, not that I was trying.

Worked hard in garage, totally exhausted when I finally had to stop. All the boxes have been moved and reviewed, stacked in "keep to go through" later and "yard sale" piles on car side of garage. All the furniture is in yard sale area. The throw away pile is not nearly as much as the other two!

Almost finished with clearing, just a tiny corner mostly straw and my lawn mower/yard tools to get out of build side. Glad the heavy lifting and moving is done. It has been an exhausting couple of days and I am so achey all over, a few days of rest will come well.

I never in a million years been able to do this alone!! I am so grateful to my friend for her help and ideas on the construction. Having had her own construction co. for years she knows how to source the best prices for things we will need. I really lucked out that she was part of the TNR volunteer organization, and became my friend through that work! She cares as much about my kitties well being as I do!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

4,193 steps. yesterday.

I did as little as possible, really feeling all the work in garage. Just swept up all the straw and bagged it and went through one last box. It contained my mother's sterling silver baby cup! But it opened up a whole new mystery. She always said it was her baby cup but the initials engraved on it were BJN. Her childhood initials were BJT. But she was adopted, and I don't know at what age, so those may have been her birth initials. Funny I never noticed that before. And ironically her married initials were BJN! Can't think of any reason she would have had a "baby" cup made after marriage. Weird.

Today final clean out of garage and measuring for wall board and divider for car area.This just might get done this month after all! Only other thing on agenda is gathering garbage.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

She always said it was her baby cup but the initials engraved on it were BJN. Her childhood initials were BJT. But she was adopted, and I don't know at what age, so those may have been her birth initials. Funny I never noticed that before. And ironically her married initials were BJN! Can't think of any reason she would have had a "baby" cup made after marriage. Weird.

What an interesting mystery. They may have been her birth initials; another possibility is that it was her baby cup but was not engraved until after she was married with a baby on the way.  My grandfather's toddler rocking chair had his name carved into it, but with a date coinciding with the birth of my father. My great-grandmother had kept the chair in her attic and got her son's name carved into it for posterity before giving it to her grandson.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Denize said:

What an interesting mystery. They may have been her birth initials; another possibility is that it was her baby cup but was not engraved until after she was married with a baby on the way.  My grandfather's toddler rocking chair had his name carved into it, but with a date coinciding with the birth of my father. My great-grandmother had kept the chair in her attic and got her son's name carved into it for posterity before giving it to her grandson.

That is an interesting way to explain it. The cup was always "put out of reach" as kids and to be honest I really didn't connect the initials even as a young adult. She had always been BJN to me so I didn't really think about it. It has been packed away for over 20 years and was tarnished, as I polished it, I really looked at the initials and it struck me as strange. But yes, that is possible she had it engraved after marriage and when she was expecting my older brother. Great idea @Denize!

Unfortunately, there is no one left to ask, so it will just be one of those mysteries one thinks about now and then trying to come up with a reasonable answer.

• Like 5
(edited)

No clue what happened there!

Sorry maybe have messed up something?

Whaaatttt is going on??? Double avatars????

Edited by Gramto6
45 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

No clue what happened there!

Sorry maybe have messed up something?

Whaaatttt is going on??? Double avatars????

It's not just you, I'm seeing it too.  This site has been so wonky lately.  At least I finally got rid of that white banner at the bottom of my screen.

• Like 1

Thank goodness! I thought it was something I did! This was the first forum I came to when I came back to read...

Sheesh! After all that time down "fixing things" weird things are still popping up.

Also is any one else getting narrow ads between posts and small ones on the side and bottom now, even with an ad blocker? This just recently started.

3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Thank goodness! I thought it was something I did! This was the first forum I came to when I came back to read...

Sheesh! After all that time down "fixing things" weird things are still popping up.

Also is any one else getting narrow ads between posts and small ones on the side and bottom now, even with an ad blocker? This just recently started.

It looks like the double avatar problem went away for me because suddenly it's gone. 

I had that issue too a few days ago with the ad blocker.  I think it's because the ad blocker got updated to include more options which are set to "off" unless you go into its settings and turn them on.  I know, it's a PITA but now there are options in there that ask you if you want to see "non-intrusive ads".  You have to set that to "no".  If that doesn't take care of all of the ads there are even more settings.  To get rid of that white banner that was annoying me at the bottom of my screen I had to put on a certain feature that lets you target which ads you want gone and then when you click on the offending ad it goes away forever.  They just keep making everything more complicated and it's ridiculous.  But at least it works.  I hope this helps.

• Useful 3

6,217 steps yesterday.

Cat area is all cleared out, shelves and bench removed in prep for wall board installation. I am so tired and achey and my hands hardly work at all. But this has to get finished so we can be ready to get the rest of the cats fixed once the TNR reopens in April, before too many kittens are born. Today is going to be the real planning stage and shopping lists for items needed made. Garage still needs a good sweeping out, but major clearing is done.

Also today, the A/C guys and electricians are coming to do final install and start up of AC so it is going to be a very hectic day. Poor kitties have had their schedules disrupted so much during all this I hope we can get back to calm soon for their sake!

I could stand a nice long rest too!!  😸

• Like 3
  • Hugs 5

Missed a day, guess I forgot to hit Submit!

6,699 steps on Monday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7,808 steps yesterday.

Quick PO run. Then I loaded the back of a pickup truck with the pile of debris that has been in driveway a couple years. Kitties like to play in it in hidey holes under the branches and on top of boxes squished by the rain and snow. I am paying for that dearly today, I hurt all over. Then I helped my friend rip all the plastic sheets off the walls that were covering the insulation so she could put up new, maybe today. Then did a laundry. I am not used to all this physical labor hope I can make it to the finish!

• Hugs 5

5,625 steps yesterday.

Ran a few errands, no garage work, my friend was burning winter trash pile so was busy there. I was still really sore so needed the day off anyway. Today we hang plastic on walls in prep for the wallboard. Not sure what else, but the press is on to finish before the end of the month!

• Like 6

6,233 steps yesterday.

Another rest day from garage work. We are both feeling it and decided rest was the better choice. I did laundry and some tiding around the house and sat a lot in the recliner. Didn't realize I actually made that many steps!

I think today we will begin again! The weather is going to be nice today, but rain and snow back over the weekend. 

• Like 8

5,177 steps yesterday.

Got all the plastic up on the walls and measured for wall board. I did the marking of the studs on the floor for the nailing wood process so lots of bending and reaching. Today we go and buy the wood for the walls and a few other things. If the weather is not too wet!

It is supposed to be nice during the day, a shower or two, but rain/snow in evening and overnight. We really need the snow in the mountains...

It is really taking shape and I'm getting excited for it to be finished!!

• Like 7

6,170 steps yesterday.

Drove to Lowe's and got 15 sheets of OSB Sheeting for the walls, I had no idea what it was until I saw it and best description I can give is pressed largish chips of wood. It will be painted. Between that and 2/3 of Chewy order arriving, I was worn out from lifting and carrying. Even though my friend did most of the unloading of the wood...

Work in progress....

1B7E5276-EDE8-4DDD-98E9-6E3D8A0D3E6D_1_105_c.jpeg

3F791F35-1BD4-4F0D-A25F-9769ACD74DD0_1_105_c.jpeg

E0158E4A-0C8E-4EA1-8C27-743AFEBD355E_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 8

5,970 steps yesterday.

I am so sore/achey, I was glad my friend decided to take the day off yesterday! She's going to gather all her tools and saw horses for putting up the walls for today.

5" of new snow last night, but no more in forecast. I cleared feeding stations this morning, the rest, I am just going to let melt. Our work is inside the garage so the snow on the ground won't be an issue. 

What a relief having all the feeding done in the garage will be!!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

6,775 steps yesterday.

I didn't do much in garage, my friend was hanging the wallboard, she's a pro at that!! I cleaned out all the coolers and replaced the straw. Shoveled the decks around feeding stations in morning, afternoon sun melted the majority of the rest of the snow.

Most of the wall boards are up, just anchored with a few screws at this point. Today I will be snapping chalk lines to mark studs and she will either be using roofing staples or more screws to do the final anchoring. It looks so cool inside even with just the bare boards up!

• Like 5

5,112 steps yesterday.

We were both too tired to work yesterday so took a day of rest. Plan is to get rest of panels up today and firmly anchored. TNR reopens 4/2 so she is going to be busy there, we are trying to get garage done before then...

• Like 4
(edited)

4,226 steps yesterday.

I didn't do much in garage yesterday, just couldn't push myself any more. Instead I started my Taxes...UGH!

My knees and hands are really feeling the pain from all this building. I keep meaning to make an appointment for the hand surgeries, each hand done separately, but there always seems to be something holding me back. Either the Winter snow shoveling or now the construction. I have to get this done as I can barely hold on to anything and opening jars, etc is really hard/painful.  Soon I hope.

One slim strip of wall board is left and all the walls will be up. Then the dividing wall will be dealt with. Looks so different in there. Will take another pix when last of walls done.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Hugs 4

5,642 steps yesterday.

Long dentist appt today, plus drive time will probably lose 5 hours of walking time. It is what it is, I'll make up for it tomorrow!  I think I'll be painting a lot!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4

6,742 steps yesterday.

More than I expected. We got to dentist 1/2 hour early so did some mall walking and in that single hour I did 1784 steps which helped because the next three hours were a total of 100 steps. I guess there is something for mall walking as it is so mindless to wander and just look at stuff to kill time. No mall near enough to me to be a real option. I do manage the steps right here at home just fine most days.

May be painting today, but we both have found that we are pushing ourselves too much and have needed these last couple days of rest. She is going to bring me an assortment of left over paints for the walls and go home to begin constructing the divider wall in sections, I may do a little painting and see how my hands like it.

Just talked to my friend, today is going to be a rest day. Will take advantage of it and finish taxes and take to preparer and have that off my mind!

• Like 4

6,064 steps yesterday.

Took the time off from garage work to finish taxes and take to preparer. Then shopped in the larger grocery in town which added more shopping steps than normal. Rest of the day I took it pretty easy.

Hopefully I will get some painting done today while the weather is warmer.

• Like 6

4,496 steps yesterday. Another take it easy day.

No "work" in garage, but some planning. I ordered new LED overhead workshop lights from Amazon to replace the old fluorescent ones, half of which aren't working anyway. We discussed window trims. At the Home Resource store there are donations of leftover building supplies for cheap and we decided getting different types of trims for each window would be fun. No painting as it is still too cold now for that, but soon hopefully. Still lots to be done!

• Like 7

5,220 steps yesterday.

Today my friend works at TNR shelter so I am going to do some Spring cleaning inside the house. Time to switch out most of the Winter clothes for Spring clothes as temps slowly warm up.

The work in the garage has been very hard on my hands, knees and back so it is good to have some rest from that heavy work for a few days.

• Like 5