Type keyword(s) to search

Renovation Inc. - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was interesting to see individual homeowners, and remodeling for them.     Of course, the homeowners can't agree on their priorities, think everything will be cheaper than it turns out to be, and communicate to either Sarah or Bryan, and not both.   

The second house where Sarah met with the couple by herself amazed me.   That 'pool' looked more like an oversized goldfish pond.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I like this show since they actually talk about the budget and priorities. For the folks who want to do their basement AND a complete backyard landscaping project, I think they are crazy for wanting a new pool with a deep end. OK, they want to be able to dive ... is that worth spending $100,000 (or whatever the number is) when you already have a very nice pool that fits into your yard nicely?  If they are in Canada, how many months can they use the pool? 

If I'm Bryan and Sarah, I'd run a few different scenarios with them and discuss "must haves" versus "nice to have". If it were me, I'd give up the new pool in order to have everything else done (better landscaping in backyard and the basement). I could also give up a fireplace in the basement.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2020 at 1:47 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I like this show since they actually talk about the budget and priorities. For the folks who want to do their basement AND a complete backyard landscaping project, I think they are crazy for wanting a new pool with a deep end. OK, they want to be able to dive ... is that worth spending $100,000 (or whatever the number is) when you already have a very nice pool that fits into your yard nicely?  If they are in Canada, how many months can they use the pool? 

3-4 usually. You can use it in June, July and August and some chunk of May and September depending on where you are and your cold tolerance (some chunk of those two months are usually above 20 C, some people might keep swimming down to 15 or so, but not many). The being said, while a $100,000 price tag is pushing it, most Canadians love making the most of summer, so we'll spend surprising  amounts despite the limited time we can use it. 

• Love 1
On 8/30/2020 at 10:19 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

It was interesting to see individual homeowners, and remodeling for them.     Of course, the homeowners can't agree on their priorities, think everything will be cheaper than it turns out to be, and communicate to either Sarah or Bryan, and not both.   

I thought her design choices in their own personal home left a lot to be desired.  Time to come off her high horse.

• Love 3

I'm watching the second episode, and I'm really enjoying it a lot more.    When Bryan's talking to the workman, and the other man asks if Sarah's coming to talk about the popcorn ceiling, and Bryan says he knows she's on her way because he feels a disturbance in the Force.   The other man's look is hysterical.    Then when they find out they ordered either the wrong size French door, or have to pull out the top lintel (because apparently someone did something odd years ago), that's funny too.   

Sarah and Bryan actually discuss things like adults in this series.   I suspect the Island ones were badly edited to make everything more dramatic, as Bryan commented.     

• Love 2

Yeah, I’m liking the series. Bryan is cool. He actually read the instruction manual to the sand blaster! 😆 I like his sense of humor. Sarah comes off better than she did on Renovation Island. I hope they get a Pygmy donkey. 
The electrical work in that one basement looked as if it had been done by Monkey Inc. 😬

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1

The end result for the younger couple (James and Lisa?) was very nice. They said the bathrooms cost $44,000. Was that 2 full baths upstairs plus the new powder room downstairs?  

Kitchen was very nice but I question the placement of the kitchen island. It seemed away from the main kitchen area.

• Love 1

I don't love this show.  I don't like the way Bryan talks down to Sarah.  Does he do that with other employees or co workers or is it because she's his wife.   She's a professional in her own right which we saw on Renovation Island where she apparently has her own lines of home interior goods.

Its also funny to see them working on average homes since we saw the gigantic project on the island as our intro to them.

Did Bryan design the architecture of their house?  It's ugly.  All I see are garages after garages with a large apartment on top.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Did Bryan design the architecture of their house?  It's ugly.  All I see are garages after garages with a large apartment on top.

My memory of their show when they built the house, twice I think because one burned down, is that they decided on the design together. And Sarah was just like she was on Renovation Island, constantly changing her mind, cost be damned. I find that trait of her to be exasperating.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2
On 9/20/2020 at 10:54 PM, LittleIggy said:

That baby was totes adorbs! I like the room Sarah made for her. The whole basement remodel looked really nice.

The baby was cute but I hope Sarah followed Bryan's instruction and ran the idea of a kiddie play space past the homeowners before just going ahead with it. The homeowners' plan was for that to be a workout space.

I didn't love the basement or the backyard.

Basement TV area was weird. Couch seemed far away from the TV, and I like to have recliners or ottomans to put my feet up. Color palette was blah. I think Sarah really loves her neutrals, but I think they are boring.

Backyard had too much hardscaping. Maybe homeowners really don't want to mow, but with a small child, I think a little bit more grass would have been nice.

The next project where the couple is on multiple acres and he wants to do a garage, she wants to redo the sunroom, etc. I would engage an architect for that large of a project, and then bring in the contractor. Not smart talking to Bryan and Sarah separately ... they all should have stayed together to avoid the inevitable "He told me this"   "But she told me that". I do not need the conflict or drama.  🙄

• Love 1

I'm guessing the basement finish people decided on the color palette, and Sarah only chose shades.    

I think when the acreage people put their budgets together, they will have a big shock.   Of course, they'll probably add things to the budget too.  

So they bought in the boonies, in a conservation area, and are whining because they can't build their giant garage and workshop without waiting for permits?     I know it's Canadian funds, but $500,000 for an addition, with a future addition planned on the house is mind-boggling.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

When Brian and Sarah were looking at the exterior drawing for that couples’ house and the big black sunroom stuck out like a sore thumb, IMO, I was like “How did Alison Victoria get hold of those plans?” 😆

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 7
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

When Brian and Sarah were looking at the exterior drawing for that couples’ house and the big black sunroom stuck out like a sore thumb, IMO, I was like “Who did Alison Victoria gets hold of those plans?” 😆

I didn't like the black sunroom either.  Why not make it the same color as the house?

• Love 2

I don't like the people with the sunroom, garage, and other additions.      I see no point to putting a huge front sunroom, and the huge black sunroom, it looks awful.   

However, I really like the grandmother (Don, Bernadette and Cara) who is renovating the basement apartment, moving down there, and leaving the rest of the family upstairs.  The 94 year-old great grandmother is so much fun.    I hope her renovation turns out to be exactly what she dreamed it would be.    Actually, I think the downstairs suite needs it's own laundry room, sharing with the family upstairs would be awful.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
(edited)

The picture of young Bryan with the flute! 😆

I don’t get the laundry room fire-proofing thing. Who outside the house would know who used the washer/dryer anyway? Is there a government Laundry Monitor? 😏

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

They must have extensive inspections in Canada, and the house would have to be up to code, including the laundry.   I suspect it's more to protect the rest of the house from fire from the laundry, than anything else.    Dryer lint fires have burned more than one home here locally, so I'm thinking this code would be valuable.  

Since the work crews are there, it would be easier and cheaper to do the work to the upstairs laundry now, instead of waiting.     I'm guessing that the daughter will claim she's not going to use the upstairs laundry, and the second inspections are over, and the cameras leave, she'll go back to using it.     I suspect there is zero chance that Bernadette (the grandmother in case I got the names wrong) that Cara, the daughter will be hauling clothes to the basement at laundry time.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Not a fan of that hair style either but he's a kid so he is going to go through many hairstyle choices in his lifetime.  He probably figures eventually he will end up bald like dad so better enjoy it while he can!

What I did like about them when they were on the island was that they seemed to allow their kids to be kids and to explore and play without hovering over them all the time.  What an amazing opportunity for a child to have that freedom.

Having said that I'm not a huge fan of children who feel free to talk back to their parents but it's not my kid...LOL!

• Love 2
On 10/4/2020 at 8:16 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the downstairs suite needs it's own laundry room, sharing with the family upstairs would be awful.  

Yes, this was a no-brainer. The laundry for the main house will be busy enough. Plus, why carry clothes up and down if you don't need to? (I will admit that I was with Sarah in being confused as to why the main level laundry would need to be fireproofed at this point.)

I liked how Sarah talked with grandma about what type of kitchen appliances she wanted for her suite. If it were me, simple appliances would do. I would not need to blow the budget there.

I didn't get to really analyze Bryan and Sarah's own kitchen since hubby fast-forwarded through all that, but wow. It is amazing. I'd like to see the plans for their house and go through it in detail. 

Does the inspector have to inspect the upstairs unit also?  It could be that the family will keep the upstairs laundry (because I might be wrong but wasn't there already an existing upstairs laundry and now there will be a downstairs as well?) and use it like they already were without anyone official knowing?  That's what I could do...LOL!

• Love 1

My guess is the daughter has no intention of making the upstairs laundry match code with the fire rating, but will just say she's not using it anymore.    Then, they will claim the downstairs laundry that's up to code, will be used by everyone.    I wonder if the daughter will have to take the washer/dryer out of the upstairs?     I would just have Bryan and the crew finish the upstairs laundry to code now, because you know the daughter will never do it later.     I'm sure the inspector will check out all of the house before approving it for occupancy for the basement apartment. 

If you take out the upstairs washer/dryer and temporarily store it (perhaps in a closet where the inspector really has no reason to go) and then reinstall after the approvals then the problem would be solved (unless the house burned down of course which would probably negate their insurance).  Does this mean I have a sneaky mind?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

If I understood it correctly, there is absolutely nothing currently wrong with the upstairs laundry room, so there is no reason why the family upstairs would have to do anything to it to pass inspection. The only issue is if it is a shared space with the unit downstairs. The new codes say the unit downstairs has to have full fire protection separating it from the unit upstairs. It's like when you see someone (e.g. Good Bones) reno a duplex, and they learn that the middle wall, or an outside wall that is only a few feet away from a neighbor's house, has to be fire-rated. That's the issue: keeping a fire in one dwelling from spreading to an adjacent dwelling. 

So in this case, part of their reno is to put in necessary fireproofing on wall, ceilings, doors etc. (I don't remember the details) separating the downstairs unit from the upstairs. But if they wanted to say that the laundry upstairs was shared between the two dwellings, then that laundry room also has to be entirely fire-rated, so that a fire could not spread somehow from one unit to the other via the laundry room. (If I'm right about this, this potentially seems silly, depending on where exactly the room is and how it would be accessed from the lower level, but that's the way codes work sometimes.)

If this is correct, then as long as that upstairs laundry room isn't part of the downstairs unit, it wouldn't be part of the inspection, and more importantly, there's nothing fundamentally unsafe or not-up-to-code about the room. There's no code violation for the family upstairs to use it as part of their dwelling. It just can't be a shared space. 

So there were two solutions to this code issue: get the upstairs laundry room fire rated, or add a laundry room to the downstairs unit so that this was no longer an issue. Adding the room downstairs was the cheaper and easier option, so that's what they're doing. Two laundry rooms, no shared spaces = no code violation.

Edited by Dawn
Add additional info
  • Love 3

The laundry issue was very confusing.   I think that the family was planning on sharing the current laundry, and that would have required upgrading the current first floor laundry room to fire code.     The daughter didn't want that, so since they were working downstairs anyway, and everything was wide open, Bryan and Sarah decided to do the shared laundry downstairs, where the access wouldn't be through Bernadette's living quarters.     However, I think (and I could be totally wrong, and probably am) that because it was a multi family dwelling, because of the addition of the downstairs apartment, that the current first floor laundry would have to be updated to fire rated also.     

So the daughter said they would used the downstairs laundry, and I don't see that happening.   My guess is that the daughter will do exactly what was suggested, and hide the current washer / dryer, and say they got rid of it (or just be out when the inspector comes through), and then after everything is over, put the original washer/dryer back in place.     

I think the intent of the code was to make apartments with shared laundry safer, but it also impacted the family that was just turning the basement into an apartment.       In the daughter's place, I would have had Bryan fix the main laundry to code, and then still give Bernadette her own laundry room.    

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

and hide the current washer / dryer,

If they did that, the water and power connections would still be there. Any inspector could see that a washer and dryer could easily be added, I don't think that would wash, (pun intended).

Good pun.    I thought the laundry issue had great intentions, but was over the top for a two family home.   I think it was meant for multi family units, and I don't think it should have been required for the same family occupying the same home.   

I'm getting a kick out of Bernadette picking tile, and finishes for the apartment.    She says she likes black, and white, and Sarah keeps showing her modern stuff, and a lot of it is dark gray.     I do like the glimpses of the finished apartment for Bernadette.    I really like Bernadette, and I hope she's very happy in that lovely apartment.   Bernadette is the paying client, so she should get a design plan she likes.   If I ever had a designer doing my house, I would be demanding too.   It's all about what the client wants, not what the designer wants.  

The daughter (Cara) certainly is over the renovation.  She can't even move the kid's toys out of the way for the equipment to work?   That's a big passive-aggressive statement if I ever heard one.     

So on the gigantic pizza oven, and BBQ, is Chef Sebastian the one who is at the resort in the Bahamas now?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

As for the laundry issue, it doesn't matter what you think should be required, only what is, in fact, required.  I work as a masonry contractor and see issues like this all the time.  Some codes seem very strict, yet we don't lose so  many lives in fires anymore, or to carbon monoxide, etc etc. 

On a completely other subject, I was originally  impressed with a lot of the work Sarah did in the Bahamas.  But now, seeing where they live i'm rethinking that.  My word, what a sprawling mish mash that house is.  I feel no warmth like you would expect in a family home.  Looks like the same glitz she used in the hotel!

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I felt sorry for Sarah on the new show tonight. Bernadette is such a sourpuss. I would have fired her as a client.

I like Bernadette. She knows what she wants. Sarah had to learn that not everyone agrees with her design tastes. I did like Sarah saying that she didn’t like everything black and white. Hear that, Alison Victoria? 😏

Jason the Mason is cute! Wonder how much that whole pizza oven/barbecue set-up cost. The pizza made me hungry. I liked Bryan inviting the production crew to dig in.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I felt sorry for Sarah on the new show tonight. Bernadette is such a sourpuss. I would have fired her as a client.

Right with you.  Can't stand Bernadette.  Always looks like she is sucking on a lemon.

I think Bernadette is awesome!  First there's that great accent, and then there are those great eyebrows that are so expressive!  It's her house, she's paying a whole lot of money, and she should get what she wants.  It is a great learning experience for Sarah.

I would be one of those clients who wouldn't want the overly busy patterns and would pick something really boring, so I would definitely need the designer to move me out of my comfort zone but I don't want to go too far out.  I wouldn't have wanted that small pattern in the entry way - it was too hard on the eyes and kept looking like it was moving to me.  

• Love 2

I find something off about Bernadette and her husband.  It's always just her daughter and her making all the decisions about the renovations.  She always specifically says my apartment, my bathroom, my kitchen, etc. like he isn't going to be living there.

• Love 2

I figured Bernadette's husband is still working, at least part time, and the husband really doesn't care about the house as long as he's comfortable.  Or the husband trusts Bernadette's judgment about the house, and really didn't want to get into tile selection, etc.  I know a lot of people with relationships like that, where one partner really cares about decoration, and the home, and the other really doesn't.    

If I ever was rich enough to hire a designer to decorate my house, then I would want exactly what is my taste, and nothing less.   Bernadette is the paying client, so she should get what she wants.    

I may have missed something, but everything I noticed said the house is Bernadette, Cara and Don, and Cara's husband wasn't mentioned in that.   We did see Don a little, but otherwise, they only show Bernadette and Cara.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I figured Bernadette's husband is still working, at least part time, and the husband really doesn't care about the house as long as he's comfortable.  Or the husband trust's Bernadette's judgment about the house, and really didn't want to get into tile selection, etc.  I know a lot of people with relationships like that, where one partner really cares about decoration, and the home, and the other really doesn't.    

I could see that concerning the decorating but thought he would have been involved in the financial matters.  As least that's how it has gone everytime we have purchased a home. I  stayed at home and he made the money.

It is interesting seeing the "design with and for a client" process. Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient for Sarah to go shopping WITH Bernadette, versus bringing samples to the house and having them all shot down? And/or, saying to Bernadette "Why don't you go through these home and design magazines and mark things that you like and don't like? Or create an 'idea book' on a design web site?" Talking about your preferences is much different than showing pictures or picking things out in the store.

So much fun to have the $$ to be able to work with a designer and have custom stuff done (especially with fabric and tile), instead of just buying stock items from the store. It is the dream.

• Love 1

I bet the reason that Bernadette, and other clients don't go shopping is that my understanding is designers get a discount from private suppliers, and that is part of their profit.   So, depending on the designer, and how much business they do with a particular supplier, the designer can get a big discount, and then the client pays almost full price for the product, plus installation.    If the client went along, then they might figure out that they could do much better sourcing their own tile, and other finishes, and the designer/contractor lose out on that commission from the store.  

I know that because a friend was getting carpet and good quality sheet vinyl flooring put in, and the installer sent us to the warehouse supplier he used, and the installer tells the store how much discount the home owner will be getting, so they can quote a price on what the materials will cost them.   If someone was getting a huge amount of flooring, then the installer would give them a better deal, because they bought a larger quantity, and because he would make a lot on the installation.  

So the elusive Don shows up.   

I noticed something interesting, Cara (Bernadette's daughter who's buying the house from her) said something about her basement storage is gone now.    I think Cara figured that Bernadette would move, and Cara would have the entire house for her, and the kids.   I think that's a lot of what's driving the complaints about noise and disruption with the construction.  

I love how Bernadette's place turned out.   So smart to heat the stairs and landing to the apartment.    I love the living room, and kitchen.   The bedroom and bath are spectacular. 

So Cara's husband makes an appearance!    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/13/2020 at 9:36 AM, RoxiP said:

It really is a woman-driven household, for sure.  We also never see Kara's husband, just the three women and the children.

We finally got to see Cara’s husband right at the end (I assume that was him). The apartment looked great. I would love to have drinks with Bernadette. She is a force of nature. I loved how she had the poor electrician come up and eat. Made me hungry for fish and chips! 😋

• Love 1

Not sure how well  that the snow melting feature will take care of a big canadian snowfall in that stairwell.   Still not a fan of Bernadette.  Have to wonder if the finished product is just staged for TV like Fixer Upper or it stays.  They stored a lot of furnishings from the basement in their dining and living room on the first floor.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, cameron said:

Not sure how well  that the snow melting feature will take care of a big canadian snowfall in that stairwell.   Still not a fan of Bernadette.  Have to wonder if the finished product is just staged for TV like Fixer Upper or it stays.  They stored a lot of furnishings from the basement in their dining and living room on the first floor.

I have a weird hobby of watching Toronto area real estate listings-- esp birdhousemediatv, on YouTube.

Those walk-outs seem to be a very common thing up there in upscale homes.

In one of Sarah Richardson's past reno shows, she added one as well

Edited by sheetmoss
On 10/18/2020 at 7:06 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I noticed something interesting, Cara (Bernadette's daughter who's buying the house from her) said something about her basement storage is gone now.    I think Cara figured that Bernadette would move, and Cara would have the entire house for her, and the kids.   I think that's a lot of what's driving the complaints about noise and disruption with the construction.  

If I remember correctly (and I may not) they were planning on using part of the space that ended up being the downstairs laundry as storage.

Loved Bernadette and think her home turned out nicely.  I wondered how well the outside heated area would work for a huge snowstorm but at least it is something (and are there drains installed? - I live in Texas - this is all Greek to me!).  Was their an additional inside staircase?

When I lived in Colorado, a lot of people (those with a lot of money, or my plumber who did the heating pipes and put the driveway over it himself), heated driveways.   The ones I saw had a piped system, but I wonder if they use radiant heat elements now?     They work very well, with proper drainage.   You turn them on to start the heat elements, or warm water pump, and when the first snow flake falls they melt.   Even with a lot of snow the sidewalks or driveway are clear of snow and ice.  

I'm wondering if Bernadette bought a lot of the furniture that was shown in the finished product, because they were custom to her taste?     That's my guess.    I wonder if the older furniture was going to be recovered and go upstairs to her daughter's part of the house, or sold or passed along to someone else?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I missed the beginning few minutes of tonight’s epi. Did Caitlyn inherit that house? They kept mentioning just her and the two little sons. Was she divorced or widowed? Just curious.

I really like Bryan. He has a good sense of humor. I like Sarah better here than I did on Renovation Island.

• Love 1