Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

So am I. This episode was so tedious, I can't imagine anyone casual sitting through it, unless they're big RumpBelle or Belle fans, or the ones like us that want to obsessively comment and post.

• Love 2

I am sad for this low rating ( serie low?) but the rating are bad for all others shows yesterday! Hope, it bounce back next week.

I am happy that CS cannot be blame they been mia for two weeks in a row!

• Love 1

So am I. This episode was so tedious, I can't imagine anyone casual sitting through it, unless they're big RumpBelle or Belle fans, or the ones like us that want to obsessively comment and post.

I don't even think Belle fans got that much out of it, but I could be wrong. It's not Belle or even Rumbelle that made me wanna turn my TV off, it was Merida. I could not give two fucks about what was going on with her, the clans, her brothers, her William Tell moment. Like seriously, not interested in this story that doesn't fit anything on the show at all.

• Love 4

Once continues to impress me, I mean going up against the World Series no less and it managing to be THAT stable is incredible. Next week it's gonna go up because there's gonna be no competition, and definitely no more WS.

I feel bad for Fox though now they're gonna have to go back to the horrible scheduled programming.

• Love 3

There's nothing sad about it That's just how the math works. Some people may argue that Nielsen is outdated but you can't argue with their methodology. It is sound. Years and years of alternate studies and surveys support the veracity of Nielsen data. If anything, Nielsen data has become more accurate with advances in technology such as DVRs and streaming video.

Nielsen doesn't sample in apartment complexes, college campuses and their surrounding communities, and/or any community with a gate. Their sample(s) also include a much larger of Hispanics, inparticularly Hispanic males, than the overall population. And that's just the beginning of their problem.

• Love 3

Once continues to impress me, I mean going up against the World Series no less and it managing to be THAT stable is incredible. Next week it's gonna go up because there's gonna be no competition, and definitely no more WS.

I feel bad for Fox though now they're gonna have to go back to the horrible scheduled programming.

Empire is single handedly saving that network.

• Love 3

Nielsen doesn't sample in apartment complexes, college campuses and their surrounding communities, and/or any community with a gate. Their sample(s) also include a much larger of Hispanics, inparticularly Hispanic males, than the overall population. And that's just the beginning of their problem.

It's kinda ridiculous that they don't sample in apartments and college campuses, since they fit in that audience demo that all the advertisers crave.  There are new college apartments being put up every year in my town.  That's hundreds or thousands of people not being measured, and it's not close to being a big city like LA, NYC, etc.  Even when we were busy in college my group of friends didn't miss our shows.  Sometimes we watched shows like Friends in groups just so we could hang out.  I remember the episode where Ross and Rachel first kissed.  Our group could hear someone on the floor above cheer when it happened, so it wasn't just us watching.  Football games especially OU, OSU, and the Dallas Cowboys were always watched in groups of both girls and boys.

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1

I remember that episode of Friends as well when it aired! I wonder if the college thing may be because they don't trust college students to update their viewing logs -- or at least I could see that being a reason back in the day when you had to actually update a viewing log for Nielsen. What really needs to happen is someone needs to come along with a better mouse trap and give Nielsen some competition. The system is so antiquated for current viewing trends, but since they have the monopoly on ratings, everyone just defaults to them. It's a bit ridiculous.

Loved something on TVbytheNumbers in the comments when someone said, "Poor TGW went fractional!" I didn't know fractional was a term, but now I do. So last night, Blood and Oil went fractional. Let's hope Once isn't on it's way to that. I don't think it is. The ratings aren't great, but they're still level, which is more than ABC expects from some of its other shows.

So last night, Once got a 1.5, Blood and Oil got a 0.8, and Quantico got a 1.2. Once won the night for ABC easily and has been pretty consistent in that spot so I'm not worried. That being said, I don't know who is giving A&E notes for their scripts, but something has to be done if they don't want to slip more and maybe even try to get ratings up a bit.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think it's an extra episode order. The schedule is showing that it's 5x08 and then 5x09 airing one after the other on the same night, instead of 5x08 and 5x08 part 2.

I think the reason 5x09 was filmed at the same time as 5x08 is because 5x09 was pushed up to air on the same date as 5x08, and unless they wanted to shorten the post-production time for 5x09 by 11-12 days (which is bad for a show that relies so heavily on CGI), they had to have units filming concurrently.

From what I can tell, ABC didn't give OUAT an extra hour, ABC just scheduled two OUAT episodes to air on the same date because of the awards show that was going to preempt their (OUAT's) normal run. I think we're getting two episodes, 5x08 and 5x09, on the same night, not one two hour episode.

Pulled over from spoiler speculation thread since there is no spoilery content.

I was going from this tweet of Adam's, for what it's worth: https://twitter.com/AdamHorowitzLA/status/652612076435845120

This sounded to me like an extra hour was added.  The original series pick up in June was for 22 episodes, and this extra hour makes it 23, I believe.

Edited by Selina K

I guess we'll have to wait until 5B to know for sure. If 5B has 11 episodes, no extra hour was added. If it has 12, then 5x09 was an extra hour and they had to re-count both parts of 4x08 as one episode again to make their already pre-determined 100th episode (5B's premiere) remain the 100th episode.

Pulled over from spoiler speculation thread since there is no spoilery content.

D'oh! I should've pulled this over here to begin with. Thanks for bringing it to the right spot :)

I was going from this tweet of Adam's, for what it's worth: https://twitter.com/...612076435845120

Honestly? I think that's Adam spinning things.

All of this is really inconsequential (the epitome of tomato, tomat-oh ;), but I would think if it really was a special two hour episode, ABC would've announced it like that in their press spin rooms just like last season's actual two hour episode (4x08) was advertised as such. But that hasn't been the case so far. It's showing up as episode 5x08 and episode 5x09 airing on the same night.

Plus, if the spring premiere is scheduled to be the 100th episode, which they (A&E) have been saying it was going to be during summer interviews (I think I read it an SDCC TVline interview they did with the show runners) then the spring premiere has to be the 12 episode of season 5 or their count will be off.

If 5x08 and 5x09 are considered a single two hour episode, then episode 11

"Swan Song"

, which has been announced as the fall finale, would actually be episode 10 of season 5, and thus episode 98 of the series in total. And that, as a result, would make the spring premiere the 99th episode of the series, not the 100th. So, for the 100th episode to be the spring premiere, the fall finale, episode 5x11, must be episode 99, and so, 5x08 and 5x09 must be episodes 96 & 97 respectively.

And once again, I' m struck by how much none of this matters, so I'm moving on ;)

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 1

Here's the Wikipedia list of episodes, which makes it clearer. Sort of. Not all the air dates on finalized on that one. But if you look at season 4, they considered that two-hour Frozen episode to be one episode. I'd guess that they would do a similar thing for this two-hour episode as well to make it work.

I'm assuming they assign the episode numbers when they break the season in the writers room in May, and then they stick with that episode number throughout the season no matter what. If anything, they have to for planning reasons when it comes to production anyway and you're planning an episode that may not start shooting for a bit. ABC probably decided at the last minute to make this a two-hour episode, which is why it counts as one episode and not two for production reasons. If you look at the link above, you'll see there's a discrepancy in season 4 too -- there are some nights where an episode was two hours long and counted as two episodes, but the one they decided to super size after the season started is counted as one episode even though it also was two hours. It's really just a production accounting issue more than how many actual hours of the show have aired.

Edited by sharky

I've always considered 4x08 to be one episode. Both parts share the same production code. Unlike the 3b finale, which is considered two episodes because of separate production codes. The only thing that might cause confusion is how Operation Mongoose shares a title but has different production codes (so they're separate episode too).

Not gonna lie, I get a bit annoyed when people use the episode numbering as though Smash the Mirror were two episodes.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

I am still banking on a 1.0 and possibly lower by 5B.

We may get a Season 6, but that will be it. There is only so much of the same ol', same ol' the target audience will take before walking out completely.

Big in-ep drop isn't good:

8:00 p.m.

ABC – Once Upon a Time
Viewers: 5.06 million (#3), A18-49: 1.6/ 5 (#3)

CBS – 60 Minutes
Viewers: 14.85 million (#2), A18-49: 2.3/ 7 (#2)

NBC – Football Night in America, part 3
Viewers: 17.02 million (#1), A18-49: 6.1/18 (#1)

Fox – The Simpsons
Viewers: 3.50 million (#4), A18-49: 1.5/ 4 (#4)

———-

8:30 p.m.

ABC – Once Upon a Time
Viewers: 4.63 million (#3), A18-49: 1.5/ 4 (#2t)

CBS – Madam Secretary
Viewers: 11.15 million (#2), A18-49: 1.5/ 4 (#2t)

NBC – Football Night in America, part 3
Viewers: 23.99 million (#1), A18-49: 8.4/24 (#1)

Fox – Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Viewers: 2.66 million (#4), A18-49: 1.2/ 3 (#4)

Total viewers for the hour were up a smidge from last week, 4.85M from 4.82M.

It improved from last week in the hours and it was an overall solid episode.

Once is one of the best rated shows on their network, it's not going away for a while. Especially not when ABC is struggling in literally almost their entire line up of Veteran/New shows. 

Once being as stable as it is, truly is a great thing for the network.

Edited by Hookian
  • Love 2

Well, the episode did rely mainly on the guest characters. At least the 1.5 rating is stable. I'm already preparing for next week's ratings. I always worry about 2 hr ratings doing well (or maintaining the same ratings for both halves).

• Love 2

Still the best rated drama for the night and TVbytheNumbers said it "continues its steady run." I guess I'll take what I can get. I know people say that the ratings are a reflection of the episode, but I really think they are sometimes a reflection of the episode the week before. With the dud last week, it will be interesting to see what happens the rest of the season after this good episode. That being said, yea, that half hour drop isn't good.

ETA this from a TVbytheNumber comment. Updated and revised! ;)

original.jpg?w=800&h

Edited by sharky
  • Love 3

On the plus side if it drops during the 2 hr episode for episode 9 then episode 10 will automatically get a rise as we all expect it will. I'll be shocked if the second hour gets a 1.4 to be frank it would still be leagues better than the programming on right now in that slot on ABC.

If you guys literally look at ABC's entire line up than you would know that you should never be scared for this show. It's the best rated drama after the Shonda trio.

Edited by Hookian

Still the best rated drama for the night and TVbytheNumbers said it "continues its steady run." I guess I'll take what I can get. I know people say that the ratings are a reflection of the episode, but I really think they are sometimes a reflection of the episode the week before. With the dud last week, it will be interesting to see what happens the rest of the season after this good episode. That being said, yea, that half hour drop isn't good.

I think a lot of factors go into an individual ep's rating -- competition, how it's advertised, the previous week's ratings, if it's a holiday, etc. This ep started higher than last week's but lost a lot of viewers and ended up with fewer viewers at the end than last week. The show is in zero danger of being canceled, but an in-ep drop is never good, because it shows that people actually overcame their inertia and turned the channel. 5x03 & 5x05 also had big in-ep drops -- the Camelot-guest-focused ep & the Henry/SQ-focused eps. I think people get bored if the focus isn't on the core characters. Take note, A&E!

And, ha, thanks for the Bingo card! Too funny.

ETA: Oops, I got 5x03 & 5x04 mixed up. 5x03 was the Charming adventure.

Edited by Souris
(edited)

I think the 2-hour Once will improve ABC's performance in the timeslot (because B&O is doing dreadful), but the people who already have a show they watch at 9 may change the channel and Once may get a new series low.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

I think the 2-hour Once will improve ABC's performance in the timeslot (because B&O is doing dreadful), but the people who already have a show they watch at 9 may change the channel and Once may get a new series low.

Yeah, I think the 9 p.m. hour will take a hit b/c of The Walking Dead.

• Love 1

On the plus side it guarantees that 5x10 is going to get a rise in ratings. :)

So look forward to a definite increase for 5x10, from 5x9's ratings.

I honestly think more people will be looking at the mere focus that holy crap this show did twice as good as the show that is now on the slot, then really a 1.4/1.3 for 5x09. If that's the case I expect it back at a 1.5 by 5x10.

Edited by Hookian
(edited)

At least the choice to have 509

be a stand alone Merida + Mulan Rouge adventure

may pay off, since even if people change the channel at the end of 508 to watch the Walking Dead, they can watch 510 with no problem.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

Still the best rated drama for the night and TVbytheNumbers said it "continues its steady run." I guess I'll take what I can get. I know people say that the ratings are a reflection of the episode, but I really think they are sometimes a reflection of the episode the week before.

That or maybe at best a reaction to the promotion of the episode, it hardly ever can be a reaction to the episode before it aired. Always find that argument funny, particular seeing how much promotion often differ from what actually is shown in an episode. Unless you're extensively spoiled about an episode you can easily be mislead about it by the promotion done, and I doubt that much of the audience is that spoiled. But with thick fan and shipping googles on reason and facts tend to take a break.

I think people are probably watching on DVRs and maybe Netflix. All though how weird that they randomly promoted S4 on DVD? Is that something they usually do? Are people not buying it or is it because Frozen was the big thing and Disney is clamoring them to promote it?