Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Everybody Happy Now!

• Start Topic

Demi Moore was great in this.  

Lenina Crown was the perfect mix of disbelief, fear and arrogance.   One of the things I disliked about the book was ironically the character of John but here the show wrote him as almost sympathetic in caring about his mother but wanting to be a part of the savages that were in the verge of rioting.  

Welcome to New London John

• Love 2

First off...killing of Demi Moores character was a mistake. She was interesting and I was excited to see her navigate the world she came from after living so long with "The Savages"

But what exactly did she need an Alpha+ for? He didnt help them get through the barrier, she and John went through just fine on their own. And is it genetics that gets you through the barrier? Because I presume that John was born in the Savage lands so nothing was done to him to make him one of them.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 9:25 PM, Primal Slayer said:

First off...killing of Demi Moores character was a mistake. She was interesting and I was excited to see her navigate the world she came from after living so long with "The Savages"

Actually, that character didn't live too long in the book -- she died from other causes -- so I won't miss her that much. Did not recognize Demi Moore at all! 

On 7/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Welcome to New London John

The first time I saw that place name on screen, I thought -- are we in Connecticut? 😉

• Love 1

This show made a mistake (and maybe it was a budget thing) focusing so much on the real Earth and people who aren't much different than our real life, instead of exploring the actual Brave New World. It's a meh uprising. Finally fast forwarded through a lot of the stuff from the checkpoint to the actual entry through the barrier.  Though I did hear the cringy "this is our land" uttered by what appeared to be a white woman who lives on what I assume is the Earth and probably North America, so.....

It's not clear to me why the Savage Lands park exists or why the people who are in the "old days" show do the show. I had assumed it was a living, for people who didn't have many choices. So not sure why the rebel woman saying they are no longer there for the amusement of the privilege said that. Can't they just not do the show?

At least we are back in the interesting place. John isn't helping himself any by acting like the stereotype they expect. I guess we are supposed to feel for him because he is "authentic" and authentic people are super emotional and feeling, because to live you have to feel, blah blah blah. When he cracks the glass of the room/Brave New World society, that was a bit of an anvil.

Gave it three eps. Will try one more to see if it breaks out of the cliches and tropes it has bound itself in.

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 1

How many bullets did John make, they were firing multiple rounds from submachine guns. He was making bullets for all the guns in many different calibers. John should be upset since he made the bullet that killed his mother.

Or did the people already have guns and bullets. The lady that killed his mother has rifle with a laser scope, why would that be part of the Savage Show they were putting on. Why did they need John making bullets or did he just put real bullets in the prop guns, why couldn't the revolting actors just do that themselves?

• Like 1

Bernard, "If we live through this, I'll be monogamous with you." I admit it; I laughed.

On 7/19/2020 at 5:12 PM, Chaos Theory said:

One of the things I disliked about the book was ironically the character of John but here the show wrote him as almost sympathetic in caring about his mother but wanting to be a part of the savages that were in the verge of rioting.  

I agree. John was sympathetic to me from the first episode. I didn't realize this was the same actor in the Solo movie. I think he's excellent in this, and it's obvious he was miscast in Solo.

Comparing the show to the book so I'll use spoiler quotes.

Spoiler

I also like how they modernized Lenina compared to the book. It's almost if she's taking over Bernard's curiosity from the book and Bernard in the tv show is taking some of Lenina's personality from the book. However, both characters have shown interests outside of their stations so that may change in future episodes.

I thought this episode did a great job of showing how the New Londoners would be terrible at coping outside of New London. Both Lenina and Bernard showed independence at some points and fear and ignorance in other moments. These flashes of humanity made them more sympathetic at different points in time, and sometimes they displayed opposing characteristics at the same moment which gave them dimension.

I feel like this show is starting to diverge from the book due to the addition of the uprising plot. We'll see how I feel by the end of the season. This show may end up turning into an homage instead of a translation. I still think this show is very engaging, but I would like more world-building than what's been given.