Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Everybody Loves Ray, Man

Hank feels there may be more to Ray's new chef's seemingly drunken behavior on the job, while Divya treats a NASCAR crew chief whose anxiety has a dangerous turn. Jeremiah is concerned about the future of HankMed's new lab, and Divya makes a decision about the future while Hank talks to Emma about her own.

Jeremiah's crush is ridiculous. What could these two possibly have in common with each other? There is no chemistry at all.

I wish Evan and Page would just start hitting each other. They argue about everything. I smell a divorce coming.

Nail Emma inside a wood box and ship her back to St. Louis via a very slow train.

If you remove the Divya and Emma parts this was a fairly good episode.

I expect Jeremiah to get involved with the burlesque dancer with the cough once they set up Hanklab or he might take his daily lunch break there instead of the restaurant! Lots of comedic potential there.

I don't know where the Evan and Paige storyline is going but at least they're fighting about something that feels real instead of lazy writers syndrome.

Officially tired of Emma. I don't care about her drama. I know Hank means well, but she's almost a legal adult and he's not her father.

Evan and Paige fighting over their businesses is way more legitimate than some of their other arguments. The Ray storyline feels a bit weird to me but I need some time to figure out just how to articulate why.

I'm tickled by Jeremiah in the burlesque club-- though the coughing entertainer seems like a throw-back to another era; is she going to have TB?

Because I'm at the same stage/place in life, Divya's story speaks to me. Of course, some of it feels over-exaggerated (the nanny has one foot out the door because he wants to take a child development class? Uh ok, Divya. Clearly that person has noooooo interest in caring for your child.) but for the most part I get where she's coming from.

• Love 1

I don't know why they felt the need to bring in Emma. There's plenty of storyline with the main characters, the HankMed business, Evan/Paige and patient-of-the-week. Emma just drags everything down. So soap opera - "long lost sister" - I wonder how many other soapy cliches we can toss in there before the season is over.

(edited)

I do not understand why anyone with HankMed would consider partnering with Ray after he broke his chef's nose. The show has been hinting that Ray might be a shady mob-type character -- maybe he is, maybe he isn't. It is clear though that he has a violent temper and tends to see things in black and white. I wouldn't want this man as my landlord and certainly not as a business partner. So of course Evan was happy to smoke cigars and have a boozy schmooze with Ray in the fantastic belief that Ray is susceptible to Evan's usual shtick. It seemed Evan finally awoke to the danger at the end.

Jeremiah continues to be the most enjoyable character on the show. I would love to see a relationship bloom with his waitress friend. I hope they don't separate them by sending her off to physical therapist school (undoubtedly sponsored by Jeremiah).

I would like to see a meaningful storyline with Boris. I like Campbell Scott and he was a pivotal character in the first season from the pilot onward. Without Boris, there would be no HankMed. They also seem to have dropped Evan's political career storyline. Either of these would be so much better than the dreary Emma stuff. Her crap seems so predictable. She'll likely sell a pic or bit of gossip about a HankMed client, thereby violating patient confidentiality and inviting a lawsuit. Get rid of her, already.

Edited by BungalowSummer
  • Love 1

Great to see Spencer Grammer as the car driver. Miss her from Greek.

Thank goodness Divya wasn't an ass to her nanny at the end. Jeremiah continues to be great. Emma can go already.

I don't know why we are supposed to think Ray is so threatening. One call to Boris and he's done.

Emma is annoying. I was annoyed with her dinner conversation with Hank. Yes, Hank, pick the 17 year old girl you've known for 5 minutes to be your go-to person while you continue to mock Evan. Hope it backfires big.

Divya continues to bug. Most people would be happy that their nannies want to get more education to help their child. Jeremiah continues to delight.

I think Divya figured it out in the end.  She was being uptight about all the nannies she's had because she's bummed out they get to spend time with Sashi instead of her.  So she decided to switch to working part-time.

• Love 1

Nail Emma inside a wood box and ship her back to St. Louis via a very slow train.

Seconded.

Also, I'm going to go minorly off-topic here, but my family and I run a SIDS foundation and I could NOT get past the crib. Divya is a medical professional and should absolutely know better: No bumpers, blankets or pillows. I wanted to scream.

I know Hank means well, but she's almost a legal adult and he's not her father.

Disregarding that this storyline is useless, almost a legal adult is still not a legal adult. And her father is Hank's father, who is useless as a father. Technically the mother is the only adult legally responsible for her, and it seems like she ran away from home, so the mother could call the cops and report her missing. Hank invited her to stay there, so he's responsible for her. So what if he wants her to think about college? She's not obligated to go. This storyline is stupid because they could all get in a shit legal mess since no one is technically this girl's guardian.

Evan and Paige fighting over their businesses is way more legitimate than some of their other arguments.

And this is normal arguing that doesn't require therapy. I actually think Evan was right, because working as consultants without a contract is asking for trouble. Do they need to be licensed? What about reliability? Insurance? etc. But, this is also one of those things where Evan needs to stfu and let her succeed/fail on her own. It doesn't really have to do with 'taking over the Hamptons'. What if Ray decided he didn't like what they chose for the house and refused to pay? If he didn't sign a contract, they're screwed. Even if you say it was an 'oral contract' they probably wouldn't get the total amount back. This wasn't particularly well-thought out. You can't just 'go into business' as the show itself has showed in S1.

I do not understand why anyone with HankMed would consider partnering with Ray after he broke his chef's nose.

I liked that Paige called out Evan on his new Ray-love because he was cautious before. But, Evan did say on the show to Jeremiah that if they can't find a place for the lab, then that's it for HankMed. So leasing a building from him was a dire move, but it's only leasing a building. There's still legal protections. Evan clearly didn't want to partner with Ray as soon as Ray brought it up. Ray pushed him into it. Which is silly and contrived, but it's not that bad of a contrivance for a tv show. 

When the show focuses on Evan/Paige or things to do with HankMed, Jeremiah, or the case of the week, it's actually not that bad. It's all the other stuff and making the characters stupid for the plot that grates. 

I kind of felt bad for Jeremiah. As soon as he told the waitress he was a doctor, she was suddenly all interested in him. I certainly don't have anything against exotic dancers, but it's a legit worry about having a medical lab in the same location if they are admitting patients regularly. 

I would expect the exotic dancers place would only be open at night when no one is going to the lab for MRIs.  I mean, do guys go there on their lunch breaks?  Doubtful.

I'm not sure why this is even a plot point, except for whatever the Jeremiah/waitress story line is supposed to be.

I would expect the exotic dancers place would only be open at night when no one is going to the lab for MRIs.  I mean, do guys go there on their lunch breaks?  Doubtful.

Not necessarily. Some places do have breakfast and lunch specials if food is served. Jeremiah went during the late afternoon it seemed. But it's a stupid plot point since if your only running a lab and not an outpatient service then who cares?

I'm tickled by Jeremiah in the burlesque club-- though the coughing entertainer seems like a throw-back to another era; is she going to have TB?

TB would be too common. I mean, we've all heard of TB before. However, I guess there's some wild-ass way someone can contract it.

Does anyone see Jeremiah as growing? Or does he stay the same despite his new experiences?

I'm sort of losing patience with him, though it's kind of clear that he has at least one bonafide "condition". He's proven that he can be open-minded. Just wish a little behavior modification would accompany his new realizations.

I wonder how the decision was made to get Divya out of those short, tight dresses?

Two weeks in a row without Boris. Less absurdity and just the usual fluffy sillines with pretty locales and colorful clothing.

She probably has some pneumonia caused by fungus that is between the walls that all of Hank Med patients will end up being in contact with. That way Hank Med will have another set back.