Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E16: Finale Part 1

• Start Topic

Airs May 18, 2020

In the final phase of the competition, the final artists perform in front of coaches Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, John Legend and Blake Shelton to compete for the title of The Voice. Carson Daly ("TODAY Show") hosts.

The idea of cross promotion with Songland by bringing in it's songwriters to help craft an original song for each competitor is genius....and I think that shows off what they can bring better than doing covers,  mainly because you don't compare them to the original.  And it's quite obvious that the production for the "at home" performances has greatly improved.   

Kelly continues to be the poster woman for "au natural"..... she's doing that for her talk show as well..... ladies..... you can be beautiful sans all the gunk.

I wish Nick Jonas would find a better chair .... that's an ugly chair.  I think he's trying to emulate the red spinning chair on the Voice set.  He's made a great rookie showing.....but he won't win his first time out because I believe Micah Iverson will win for Kelly, giving her a fourth win moving her ahead of Adam.  And I voted for Micah.  Camm Wess I strongly considered.  I shouldn't take it out on Toneisha.....but she performed a Journey cover.....that made me temporarily leave for a masked singer rerun. And despite Shane's inspired effort.....it seems as though the backstory is supposed to be factored in.....her original was just a bit weepy.  If it was to make radio,  it would be on a "warm" soft adult contemporary station.   Nothing wrong with that.

I loved the cross promotion with Songland.

I'm sure Micah's original song was nice but I couldn't hear it until the end. I don't know if the music drowned out his vocals or if he was just singing too softly. 

I didn't like Toneisha's original song but I still love her and I'd like her to win.

To my surprise, Camwess was my favorite overall tonight. I enjoyed Todd's original song. I wonder if that was because his was one of the only ones where he didn't write it first so it's a pretty good song to begin with!

• Love 2

I also thought that the cross promotion with Songland was a great idea.  Most of the artists had their own songs and the producers just tweaked it just like they do in Songland.  Then you had the added bonus that Todd used a song by Ryan Innes who was also a Voice contestant.  The song fit him too.

I thought all the contestants did well.  My favorite is still Thunderstorm followed by Micah.  I like both their originals and Cammweiss' original.  Thunderstorm won it for me because I also like his cover.  Honestly, I would be happy if any of them win.

• Love 1

I voted for Thunderstorm...I've loved him since the blind audition with Blackbird and he's really impressed me since with the quiet intensity he brings to all his songs. (See below re:  Micah).  That said, I really feel like Todd has it in the bag because his original song sounded the most like a "real" song--and I don't even like country music that much.  Also, Todd is on Blake's team and Blake fans seem to be very supportive.  While it's true that Toneshia may split those votes, I still think it's Todd's to lose.

Camweiss was good, but I thought both songs were unmemorable and Micah murdered one of my favorite songs, so I am off his train.  Chasing Cars is one of those songs that is beautiful because it is subdued and does not serve itself well to vocal gymnastics.  I feel the same way about "Say Something".  If you want to show off your chops, pick a different song!!!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, leocadia said:

I voted for Thunderstorm...I've loved him since the blind audition with Blackbird and he's really impressed me since with the quiet intensity he brings to all his songs. (See below re:  Micah).  That said, I really feel like Todd has it in the bag because his original song sounded the most like a "real" song--and I don't even like country music that much.  Also, Todd is on Blake's team and Blake fans seem to be very supportive.  While it's true that Toneshia may split those votes, I still think it's Todd's to lose.

Camweiss was good, but I thought both songs were unmemorable and Micah murdered one of my favorite songs, so I am off his train.  Chasing Cars is one of those songs that is beautiful because it is subdued and does not serve itself well to vocal gymnastics.  I feel the same way about "Say Something".  If you want to show off your chops, pick a different song!!!

As I previously posted, Thunderstorm is my favorite.  Micah is my second.  But I have to agree about Chasing Cars.  I was so excited when it was announced that he was going to sing that because it's one of my favorite songs.  I also liked his original.  But it was not good.  Not only did he try to do vocal gymnastics but he was off key doing it.

I also said the same thing when Cammweiss did Say Something.  He tried to do too much with it.  However, at least, he did sing it well technically so I can see why John wanted him back.

I think Todd might win too.  I'm hoping it's Thunderstorm but Todd is on Blake's team.  He's also the kind of singer that Blake's fans like.  He sang a Christian song for a cover.  He's a family man and pastor. 

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 3

I also thought Thurderstorm did the best overall, both in this episode and for the season as a whole.  He's also the only one of the finalists whom I think we may hear from in the future.

Toneisha has a fantastic voice, but I wasn't too thrilled by either song she performed in this episode.  Her original was lovely, but was more of a lullaby than I song I would actually listen to.

Todd did what Todd does.  Good voice, but not even close to as exceptional as either Thurderstorm or Toneisha.  He takes no risks or shows any kind artistry, sticking very strictly to what he knows how to do.  In other words, a typical Team Blake winner.

I was a bit disappointed with both CammWess and Micah.  They both faltered during their covers and neither one had an original that stood out to me.  They were both much better in previous weeks.  I would much rather have seen what Allegra, Megan or Joanna could have done in the final.

Thunderstorm should win this rather easily if it was based purely on talent, but I suspect that Todd has it in the bag given the demographics of Voice viewers.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Court said:

To my surprise, Camwess was my favorite overall tonight. I enjoyed Todd's original song. I wonder if that was because his was one of the only ones where he didn't write it first so it's a pretty good song to begin with!

I agree. I did like Micah's cover song but not his original and the same with Thunderstorm. But I liked Camwess cover and original. I thought that was cool that Camwess still had the ticket to the Prince concert and the wristband to one of John's concerts. Man, I wished I had saved all the tickets to the concerts I've been to, some of the artist I've seen aren't with us anymore and my very first concert was The Jackson 5 when I was 14 which was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away:-)

I love it when Kelly gets excited for a singer even if they're not on her team and she starts jumping up and down in her chair. I'm just glad we can't hear her yelling though but it's fun to watch. And yes, I'm a fan of her no make-up look so like many have said before the "make-up artist" on the Voice don't like her very much.

I really don't know who will win but I noticed that this season they made sure that all 4 coaches have a horse in the race for the final.

• Love 2

And I'm really sick and tired of contestants who shove their religion in everyone's face. Because you know if say, a Moslem contestant had wanted to do a worship song they would never allow it. Or something that included Hebrew. But Christianity, oh sure you can have a free opportunity to proselytize to a national audience. For actual, vocal ability and musicality I hope Thunderstorm wins.

• Love 3

I really do not like the fact that they had to have someone from all four teams, and not necessarily the singers with the top four vote counts. There is NO reason for a wild card or 5th person at all. I think it was all because Adam was a baby when he didn't have anyone left on his team and didn't want to even come to the finals.

It isn't fair to the contestants if they lose out so their coaches' egos can be stroked. I think these coaches are adult enough and could have handled it if they didn't have anyone left. Some teams had better singers, period.

I have loved Thunderstorm since the beginning and I hope he wins tonight. I am afraid it might be Todd, who does nothing for me. Nice guy, big deal. Decent voice. But, as has been mentioned, he is on Blake's team and he gets out the vote a lot.

• Love 4

I really think all the finalists are very talented, but, if I have to pick....my favorites are Thunderstorm and Todd. I like Cam too. Toneisha is also awesome. Micah would be my least favorite, but they all are deserving of the money.

It sure has been a different kind of season. Best wishes to them all. A big kink was thrown into their plans this season, but they appear to have risen to the challenge. You have to admire that.

• Love 4
(edited)

I like all of them. It’s hard to choose but if I have to pick one it’s CammWess. I thought Toneisha was great tonight with both songs even though she’s not one of my faves. I really like Thunderstorm and Micah’s voices too.

I liked Thunderstorm’s original song better than the cover song. It was too old and has been done by so many people. 

Todd has a nice voice and would be a good Christian or country artist. I didn’t think he did a great version of I Can Only Imagine though. He should’ve been in a higher key. 

Overall, I’ll be happy with any of them winning, which is rare for me! 

Agree Kelly is rocking the no make-up look. She looks a lot younger and fresher. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 2

I wasn't overwhelmed by any of them in the finale. I like Toneisha, but thought her songs were just okay.  I Can Only Imagine is one of my favorite songs and was disappointed with how Todd sang it.  Out of those left Thunderstorm was the most consistent in my opinion.   

I hope they don't continue with making sure every judge has a contestant in the finale.  As someone above said, it really isn't fair when someone stays only due to the fact that they scored votes within their team instead of overall.

• Love 1

I thought the same thing about Todd's rendition of I Can Only Imagine.  I love that song, but, did not like that arrangement very much.  I'm not sure if he has any control over that or not.