Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: King Of Wishful Thinking

• Start Topic

It's University of California, Los Angeles.

NOT University of California in Los Angeles.

Screams "fake" right from there.  College-level students and graduates usually know the correct name for their alma mater.

Whenever they have catfish victims on Dr. Phil, he loves to point out the error in college and university names as an indicator that the scammer is a scammer.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

It's University of California, Los Angeles.

NOT University of California in Los Angeles.

Screams "fake" right from there.  College-level students and graduates usually know the correct name for their alma mater.

Facebook wrote that clause, adding the "Studied at" … and "in".  "Studied at" sounds odd too, implying that you may not have graduated, like Mark Zuckerberg "Studied at Harvard University in Boston, MA" (and dropped out).  I graduated and list my degrees on LinkedIn but cannot alter the "studied at" on FB other than to leave it blank.

I have some genealogy software that also writes sentences that pull together data like names of baby, mother & biodad.  It adds words like "married" or "wife" when you're referring to someone's mistress, one-night stand or sperm donor recipient.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, deirdra said:

But yes, if someone says they went to John Hopkins University, or University of Boston, you know they didn't.

They might have stopped to go to the restroom in the admin building.  Oh, wait . . . that would be "went in" - not "went to."

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

They might have stopped to go to the restroom in the admin building.  Oh, wait . . . that would be "went in" - not "went to."

I went to UCLA (and bought a sweatshirt), lol.

I worked at Johns Hopkins University and you would be surprised how many employees call it John Hopkins, ugh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I went to UCLA (and bought a sweatshirt), lol.

I worked at Johns Hopkins University and you would be surprised how many employees call it John Hopkins, ugh.

As a native-born "Baltimoron," this is like fingernails on a chalkboard.  Wherever we lived around the country, I developed a habit of calling the local TV stations to correct the pronunciation of their news anchors who read stories about "John Hopkins Hospital." 

• Love 3
(edited)

I went to grad school at Johns Hopkins in Bawlmer, Merlin and walked by Johns' statue every day (Homewood campus).  I also corrected newspeople, explaining that Johns was a family name.  Maybe this is where Williams/Weeyums got the idea for his first name.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I went to grad school at Johns Hopkins and walked by Johns' statue every day (Homewood campus).  I also corrected newspeople, explaining that Johns was a family name.  Maybe this is where Williams/Weeyums got the idea for his first name.

I miss that campus and I miss people correcting me when I would tell them where I worked as in them repeating it back to me, "Oh you work at John Hopkins," sans the "s" in Johns.

I had a question about David the magical phone he gave Lana, he said that phone had an app that allowed them to communicate...wouldn't that app be available on every phone in the world? Is David that stupid? Does he know how phones work?

David has been communication with Lana for 7 years and he never thought to give or send her a phone until now?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I had a question about David the magical phone he gave Lana, he said that phone had an app that allowed them to communicate...wouldn't that app be available on every phone in the world? Is David that stupid? Does he know how phones work?

He probably wanted to make sure she had the same phone brand and the same app as he used so she would have no excuse to not use it. He would have paid for the phone, the app, set up the find-my-phone feature so he could stalk her better, and possibly is paying the phone/internet bills, since she is poor and shy.  I suspect Lana is sharp enough to pull the SIM card and tell David via the pricy Dating Site that the phone was stolen.

• Love 2

Tonight I am going to watch ep. 13. I am way behind you folks but I forced myself not to binge watching.  😁

Regarding Lana, I suspect she works for something similar as this which appeared on my fb timeline as sponsorized item:

https://www.cloudworkers.company/en

Interesting job description. What do you think people, should I become the next Lana? 😂😂

"As a chat moderator you would be tasked with taking part in, and maintaining, online text-based chat conversations on one or more online social community platforms. The aim of the game is to create a fantasy experience designed to entertain the customers, cultivate a rapport, make them feel good about themselves and make them want to come back for more fulfilling fantasy experiences. All of the chat platforms our moderators work on are accessed via an online chat interface that allows you to communicate with customers no matter where you happen to be."

• LOL 1