Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Extinct

The actor playing Yasumoto is really into the scifi/supernatural role.  He was on Lost playing the ruler of a secret lair hiding from the Smoke Monster.  He is on Helix playing an alien.  And now here he is again playing what seems to be an alien.  He was and is creepy in all three roles.

I wonder if he'll ever be playing a family man with kids and a dog....and a white picket fence.

He also played a murderous father in "The Wolverine"! He does creepy bad guy really well!

I wonder if he'll ever be playing a family man with kids and a dog....and a white picket fence.

If he does, what might be brilliant is have people think there's going to be some horrrrrible twist... and it never comes. He acts "normal" but potentially shady, is a reasonable part of the story, but folks waiting for the other shoe to drop don't get one. *Surprise!*

I am very intrigued about what Yamamoto brings. Is that him in samurai drag in that ginormous picture or is it an ancestor? Was he married to Alan's "sacrificed" daughter, which is why Alan is even still dealing with Yamaoto? So many questions!

If Molly was shown, essentially, doing what Kryger was doing (experiment-wise, with the plants), was that part of her being on the station (to continue PoorDead!Kryger's work) or was that incidental to her own work/experiments? I thought Molly said something about "her" field being similar to John's, like engineering (mechanical or electrical). I, of course, may be misremembering, but I don't really want to re-watch.

BTW, when EBMD comes to the lab, just say this is private project, not a board one, and you're trespassing.

I can't always see all the holes in the science, but this seemed pretty elementary to me. Really, really irritating.

Pre-cracked eggs? Why, now you're just talkin' crazy!

• Love 1

I just wish they would keep the technology balanced.  On some things they are so far advanced than now, but on other things,it's the same as now.  In that time there would certainly be a portable sonogram that a doctor could just pull out of their bag to use and not have to resort to visiting a vet's office.  Just odd, IMO.  And couldn't Molly have texted her husband that she couldn't make it.

I guess I'm scared to get too involved with the show, because I'm afraid its likely to fall apart like similar ones have.  

Maybe she did have a portable ultrasound but it was dialed in to the company's network and would immediately detect who/what she was scanning, thus them traveling to the vet office to use an archaic, unwired US... just a guess...

The technology mismatch doesn't bug that much... I mean in 1994 I never would have thought I'd have the internet in my pocket on a phone that could play movies just about anywhere/anytime I want, communicate with various friends, even do a video chat if I want, check security cameras in my home, check the weather forecast, traffic, look up nearby restaurants, get exact turn by turn driving directions, blah blah blah... and YET NO DAMN FLYING CARS.

I predict that Yasumoto will want his mind transferred to a humanic host just before he dies.

ding ding I bet you win!

• Love 3

... the internet in my pocket on a phone that could play movies just about anywhere/anytime I want, communicate with various friends, even do a video chat if I want, check security cameras in my home, check the weather forecast, traffic, look up nearby restaurants, get exact turn by turn driving directions, blah blah blah... and YET NO DAMN FLYING CARS.

I'm still bitter about the deplorable lack of flying cars. Hello, it's the twenty-first damn century!

• Love 3

I predict that Yasumoto will want his mind transferred to a humanic host just before he dies.

Now that you mention this, it seems totally obvious. I wonder if the show will last long enough for us to see Yasumoto take over Ethan's body because they can't replicate him.

The technology mismatch doesn't bug that much... I mean in 1994 I never would have thought I'd have the internet in my pocket on a phone that could play movies just about anywhere/anytime I want, communicate with various friends, even do a video chat if I want, check security cameras in my home, check the weather forecast, traffic, look up nearby restaurants, get exact turn by turn driving directions, blah blah blah... and YET NO DAMN FLYING CARS.

In the 1960s, when I was very young, my parents were car shopping. I wanted them to get the shiny new Monza on the dealer's showroom floor. They decided on something else, which made me pout and declare, "When I grow up, I am getting a Monza," to which they replied that by the time I grew up, people would be driving flying cars, which made me declare, "Then I will get a flying Monza!"

At least today's cars a little more aerodynamically designed. A 1964 Monza:320px-Flickr_-_DVS1mn_-_64_Chevrolet_Cor

Not trusting Dr. Sam either.  It's clear that Molly's pregnancy is abnormal.  The good doctor probably hacked the ultrasound machine so that it would show an image of some other fetus in their files.  It almost doesn't matter if the baby is human or other because the acting in this show is so flat that all the characters feel like robots to me anyway.

• Love 1

One more thing -- the robot at the museum is wrong about evolution -- it's not always the strong or smart ones that survive. Wolves are much smarter and stronger than pretty much any dog breed.. Dogs were bred for "cute".

• Love 1
(edited)

Ethan creeps me out. (Kid's a good actor). I can't imagine a fake child. What's the point of raising a child if it's a robot? Parenting is about raising a child to adulthood, not keeping a pet. Yeah, they can move its consciousness to bigger bodies, but sorry, future tech people, it's definitely not the same as raising a living, breathing child. Too convenient to turn it off and stick it in the closet instead of hiring a babysitter, LOL.

And the evolution lightbulb moment could definitely be a creepy bit of foreshadowing.

Did his dad instill any Laws of Robotics a la Isaac Asimov so the kid doesn't decide to murder his parents? I hope not -- I want to see him melt down. SO creepy. And the lab assistant is either in love with Halle's husband or her robot kid, or probably both.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2
(edited)

Heh. Miss Gummer is Robota DeMornay in The Hand that Rockets The Cradle.

I get the feeling that "John Woods" would have refused to instill any of the Laws of Robotics in Ethan or any of the Humanichs (or "human-ish"?). He seems remarkably sanguine about the impossibility of any kind of fail-safe anyway. He seems remarkably chilly-blooded about a lot of things, actually. 

One more thing -- the robot at the museum is wrong about evolution -- it's not always the strong or smart ones that survive. Wolves are much smarter and stronger than pretty much any dog breed.. Dogs were bred for "cute."

I'm not sure domesticated animals are evidence for or against evolutionary development; "bred for" is not equivalent to survival, is it?

Edited by Sandman

Differential reproduction changes allele frequencies in a population in addition to mutation and genetic drift. Both breeding (artificial selection) and natural selection involve differential reproduction. And change in allele frequencies is the commonest definition of evolution (not multiplication of species.) The term "natural selection" was a way of saying the exigencies of reproduction would select for some traits (and indirectly, the alleles) and therefore adaptations could emerge (novel adaptations marking novel species) without planning. 

Also, the power of breeding to create new varieties in relatively short times (a human lifespan in the famous Russian silver fox experiment,) is more or less proof of concept of the plasticity of species.