Type keyword(s) to search

I wasn't into this one for a while, probably because it was entirely about romantic relationships, which generally don't interest me. 

But then Penelope and Max got up there, and I was in heaven.  Her one-woman show about the word "no" was a delight.  As was him there for a couple of months and then gone for a couple of months being her dream (sing it, sister).  His proposal was great.  It's wonderful to see commitment other than marriage get positive representation on TV; it just happened on Grace and Frankie, too.

"Should we just jump off the roof?" when they were all hiding and thought Leslie was about to propose to Lydia was perfectly delivered.

And then it was so sweet from then on -- Lydia's explanation of home, that it was Leslie's idea to put Roberto's ashes in the rooftop garden, Elena saying she knows Roberto would have accepted her, and that makes her miss him even more.

One pet peeve:  Alex joins the millions of people who either don't know or don't care what anniversary means; you have one annually, not monthly.

• Love 6
On 4/28/2020 at 10:06 PM, Bastet said:

"Should we just jump off the roof?" when they were all hiding and thought Leslie was about to propose to Lydia was perfectly delivered.

I fell out. Justina Machado has great comedic timing.

• Love 4
On 4/28/2020 at 9:06 PM, Bastet said:

Oh I don't think they were worried about him proposing.  The conversation was about trying to get the top off and doing something they had waited so long to do. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Oh I don't think they were worried about him proposing.  The conversation was about trying to get the top off and doing something they had waited so long to do. 

Talk about getting the top off is what caused everyone to burst out of their hiding place.  "Should we just jump off the roof?" was before that, and since everyone who'd come up there  assumed the "Together Forever" sign was going to be the backdrop for a proposal (rather than about keeping Roberto with them forever), I assume that was the initial thought when those two appeared.

• Love 1

A proposal and sex often go together, but all this parsing isn't necessary.  All I was saying in my original post was that since everyone else had been ruled out, when Leslie and Lydia showed up, they all thought that's the couple the rooftop was set up for.  So "Should we just jump off the roof?" was in response to Lydia/Leslie being the couple, and they didn't want to be there for it (any of it - proposal, declarations, nookie, etc).  The line was perfectly delivered, and I was merely referencing the context of it in praising that delivery.

Their horror upon thinking they were taking Lydia's top off prompting them to spring out and reveal their presence to make it stop was funny, too.  It was a wonderful comedic lead-in to what became a beautifully emotional scene.

• Love 2

Max is a bit full of himself, huh? I mean, he's hot and all but he sure knows it. At least Penelope will only have to put up with ignore his ego for half the year or less. Poor thing. 🙄

Alex joins the millions of people who either don't know or don't care what anniversary means; you have one annually, not monthly.

Yeah, I think the problem is there's not another word in English that captures the concept of celebrating a romantic but arbitrary passage of time. Using, for example, quarter or semi-annual seems too technical or business-like. One would think the greeting card industry would've come up with something useful by now.

So "Should we just jump off the roof?" was in response to Lydia/Leslie being the couple, and they didn't want to be there for it (any of it - proposal, declarations, nookie, etc).

Ditto comments upthread, I also figured it was because they didn't want to listen to Lydia and Leslie having sex or even just making out. That's a line Abuelita already threatened to cross during the episode about boundaries.

This show has lost it for me.  Elena, take a shower because you look dirty and smelly. Her hair was so greasy this episode and she was so sloppy dressed.   Syd can go at any time, she is annoying AF.  

I also don’t buy that Penelope landed Max and I’m even more annoyed that everything is so trite and perfect for them.  As a single middle aged mom myself, that just doesn’t really happen a lot and I liked her just being single.  But no.  She got the perfect hottie.  Of course she did.

This show used to be relatable and real.  I love grandma and Alex and Dr. Schulmann (sorry I can’t remember his name on this show but he was also a doctor on Mindy lol).

I did like P eating the pudding cuz who can pass up a chocolate pudding cup???  😋

Dr. B making the whole big thing for Lydia to say goodbye to Roberto was really sweet. Dr. B might be a dork, but he is a really nice guy. 

The various romantic dates were decently funny, but everyone's combined horror that Lydia and Dr. B might be...taking it to the next level, was hysterical. 

So I guess Penelope and Max are just going to keep it casual, so the kid thing wont be an issue? I like them together just fine, but I feel like I still dont quite get this relationship. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Dr. B making the whole big thing for Lydia to say goodbye to Roberto was really sweet. Dr. B might be a dork, but he is a really nice guy. 

The various romantic dates were decently funny, but everyone's combined horror that Lydia and Dr. B might be...taking it to the next level, was hysterical. 

So I guess Penelope and Max are just going to keep it casual, so the kid thing wont be an issue? I like them together just fine, but I feel like I still dont quite get this relationship. 

I think their version of committed is not living together (though they could still live together & not marry) & he goes on his work trips for however long they are, but they’re in a monogamous relationship. I don’t get the sense that they’re seeing other people.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So I guess Penelope and Max are just going to keep it casual, so the kid thing won't be an issue? I like them together just fine, but I feel like I still dont quite get this relationship. 

I get it. My mom has a boyfriend who lives in Spain, she lives in Seattle, they see each other every few months and the've now been together for thirteen years. My mom loves it. She swore she'd never marry again after she divorced my dad when I was six, and what she really wanted more than anything was to be independent, not live with a guy, and yet still have somebody. Eventually she found that. 

I think this kind of committed relationship where both people can still be as independent as possible is something that exists and is not explored nearly enough on tv or in movies. People assume that you MUST want to get married or that just having someone can't be satisfying enough if the relationship isn't "going somewhere." But sometimes that's exactly what both people want. (I think people assume that women in particular can't really want something like that, but I think especially if two people have already raised kids and/or been divorced, sometimes they really do want just that kind of relationship where you don't put demands on each other).

Though, in this case, it's a little weird that Max apparently wanted kids badly enough for them to break up over it, because I guess that's really not the case anymore? That's been conveniently brushed under the rug.

• Love 6
On 5/3/2020 at 4:01 AM, ruby24 said:

I get it. My mom has a boyfriend who lives in Spain, she lives in Seattle, they see each other every few months and the've now been together for thirteen years. My mom loves it. She swore she'd never marry again after she divorced my dad when I was six, and what she really wanted more than anything was to be independent, not live with a guy, and yet still have somebody. Eventually she found that. 

I think this kind of committed relationship where both people can still be as independent as possible is something that exists and is not explored nearly enough on tv or in movies. People assume that you MUST want to get married or that just having someone can't be satisfying enough if the relationship isn't "going somewhere." But sometimes that's exactly what both people want. (I think people assume that women in particular can't really want something like that, but I think especially if two people have already raised kids and/or been divorced, sometimes they really do want just that kind of relationship where you don't put demands on each other).

Though, in this case, it's a little weird that Max apparently wanted kids badly enough for them to break up over it, because I guess that's really not the case anymore? That's been conveniently brushed under the rug.

I think relationships like these can work, especially when it's so easy to stay in touch with technology. The biggest issue would be worry that the other might cheat, but that happens with married people living together too. Being apart so much would definitely make that easier, but you just have to trust your partner and have open communication about your wants and needs. 

Max may want children but there is no guarantee that he will find someone that he cares about who feels the same way. I mean, he's handsome and funny and seems like a nice guy, there's no reason why he couldn't, but life is funny sometimes.