Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Chase

Back on the train, Ruby seeks guidance from a new friend and gets a wakeup call from home that leaves her shaken. Meanwhile, Billy continues to lie about Fiona, who raises the stakes to get what she wants.

Airs Sunday, May 3, 2020.

The plot of this show has some good twists and turns. I just wish I cared what happened to these people.

I take it that Fiona wrote all of Billy's material? I'd rather listen to life advice from her - she's certainly a lot more charismatic than he is.

• Love 1

Fiona is cray cray.

Maybe worth letting her have the money if he never has to see her again.

I forget exactly why he withdrew it, mainly to keep her from getting it.  Could have opened a new account though of course that much cash would raise questions.  But would he keep a huge sum just in one bank account or have it in equities too?

So she deleted the wedding day text from Ruby to keep Billy from seeing.  Not smart of him to let her know about the pact, esp. since they were sleeping together.

Now they tug on her motherly instinct strings, even though she basically bailed on the kids as well as hubby just on the basis of 3 letters.

I don’t think the pact alone explains her still carrying out the pact after all the time which has passed.  She wasnt going to go through with the marriage yet now she’s feeling brushed aside because Scooter likes the au pair who replaced her oh so quickly?

Ruby or the writers have some ‘splainin to do.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, scrb said:

So she deleted the wedding day text from Ruby to keep Billy from seeing.

I believe that scene shows us the second time that Ruby had texted RUN to Billy. The first time we saw this was just before her wedding - 12 years prior.

This episode started with "5 years ago" indicating the (at least) second time Ruby texted Billy. I'm starting to think they've probably texted RUN to each other a fair amount of times.

8 hours ago, scrb said:

Could have opened a new account though of course that much cash would raise questions.

Seriously this would have been the smart thing to do. He could have simply opened a new account right on the spot and transferred the money. Fiona is unable to get her hands on it and he's not toting around a ton of cash. I don't think it would have raised questions at the bank. At least not more than withdrawing all of it.

But then the story would be far less exciting and crazy so...I'm just enjoying the ride. 

Extremely excited for the next episode.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, scrb said:

So she deleted the wedding day text from Ruby to keep Billy from seeing.  Not smart of him to let her know about the pact, esp. since they were sleeping together.

The wedding day was 12 years ago, the deletion was 5 years ago. I’m curious what led Ruby to text “Run” 5 years ago. The breakdown Laurence referred to, maybe? (I also wonder if she really had some sort of breakdown or just rebelled in some way.)

They were sleeping together? If you mean Billy and Fiona, I must have missed something because I haven’t seen that implied, at least so far.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

They were sleeping together? If you mean Billy and Fiona, I must have missed something because I haven’t seen that implied, at least so far.

Spoiler

Billy told Ruby that he and Fiona had been working together for 7 years, so of course they've slept together. "It would have been rude not to."

Edited by Blakeston
30 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Billy told Ruby that he and Fiona had been working together for 7 years, so of course they've slept together. "It would have been rude not to."

Sorry that was in the previews for next episode.

Maybe I should have spoiled it.  He just admitted to Ruby that they did.

I didn't catch what video Fiona showed Billy that he was so desperate to grab from her. It was him explaining the pact with Ruby to "run," right? Or, did he make that pact with someone else? I don't get why he was so desperate to get the video from her.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Blakeston said:
  Reveal spoiler

Aha! That would help explain (at least partly) why Fiona is acting the way she is. Well, that and being extremely obsessive, vindictive, greedy and/or just plain nuts.

• Love 2

I was surprised that Fiona admitted who she was to Ruby. I guess she figured the fastest way to get the money was to just tell the truth and then blackmail her.

Ruby is going to be really hurt when she finally sees that video of Billy talking about their pact. I get why they keep invoking rules to avoid telling each other the whole truth but it seems a bit silly to leave your life behind and run off with someone but not tell them what you're actually running from.

I get wanting to sustain the fantasy without bringing the ugliness of their real lives into it, but what do they think is going to happen when they get to LA? That they will just stay there forever and never answer their phones again? That they just turn around and go back to their old lives? The denial is strong in these two.

I think it's realistic for two people who jumped at the chance to escape their current lives but it's getting frustrating to watch them keep lying to each other and tiptoeing around the truth. Heh, or maybe I'm just impatient and I want them to start spilling!

• Love 2

Really this would have been better as a Rom Com movie.  I don't see much here beyond that, not enough so far to justify a whole series.  I feel like the writers are trying real hard to make it cute/amusing like the conversation about their renewed sex life in the car. 

I wonder how many times Ruby texted him before.  And if this is the first time he texted her. 

Obviously Ruby has some other underlying issues based on what her husband said. I wonder if Billy knew about this too. 

• Love 1

I love it. The writing keeps everything unbalanced. Wever and Gleason are both great, individually, and have fantastic chemistry. I just wish the episodes were longer.

• Love 5

I like it too. The first couple of episodes got me hooked getting to know the leads and figuring out which was the bigger jerk. Now, it’s getting into the story and they are both jerks in endearing dumb human ways.  I tend to regress a bit with my college friends so I get it. 
I can’t figure out if Fiona is crazy, after her cash cow, or used to be his therapist who he seduced? 

• Love 1
On 5/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, Stella said:

I believe that scene shows us the second time that Ruby had texted RUN to Billy. The first time we saw this was just before her wedding - 12 years prior.

This episode started with "5 years ago" indicating the (at least) second time Ruby texted Billy. I'm starting to think they've probably texted RUN to each other a fair amount of times.

Seriously this would have been the smart thing to do. He could have simply opened a new account right on the spot and transferred the money. Fiona is unable to get her hands on it and he's not toting around a ton of cash. I don't think it would have raised questions at the bank. At least not more than withdrawing all of it.

But then the story would be far less exciting and crazy so...I'm just enjoying the ride. 

Extremely excited for the next episode.

I wonder why Ruby felt compelled to marry a man she obviously did not like? Was she pregnant? Did she like the guy at first but just liked Billy better?

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 1:52 AM, Grammaeryn said:

I like it too. The first couple of episodes got me hooked getting to know the leads and figuring out which was the bigger jerk. Now, it’s getting into the story and they are both jerks in endearing dumb human ways.  I tend to regress a bit with my college friends so I get it. 
I can’t figure out if Fiona is crazy, after her cash cow, or used to be his therapist who he seduced? 

I think Fiona obviously just cares about the money.  She has made no indication she cares about him as a boyfriend/lover or is jealous in any way.  She just wants the money, has been her focus the whole time. 

• Love 1
On 5/5/2020 at 9:57 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I feel like the writers are trying real hard to make it cute/amusing like the conversation about their renewed sex life in the car. 

Conversations I can't imagine anyone having in real life. The premise of the story is interesting but the dialogue and interactions between Billy and Ruby just don't seem natural.

I haven't finished this episode and I don't think I will continue with the show. Ruby telling Alice/Fiona about the big bag of money was the last straw. I mean, how stupid is she? Of course, I knew as soon as Billy got the bag full of cash that it would be stolen somewhere along the way. 

I can't get over how bad Billy and Ruby must be smelling at this point. Really, with tens or hundreds of thousands in cash, one could easily buy a few t-shirts, some underwear, deodorant, shampoo, and hopefully a toothbrush and toothpaste. I get that it kept the wardrobe budget low and made for easier continuity, but ick. Every time they are in one of their faces-an-inch-apart scenes, I'm cringing.

I'm glad that there are people who are enjoying the show, I'm just not one of them. I'll probably read the rest of the episode threads, though, to see what I'm missing and whether to give it another shot!