Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Gang Tries to Serve a Subpoena

• Start Topic

Reddick, Boseman & Lockhart attempt to adjust to their new landscape as a small subsidiary of STR Laurie, a huge multi-national law firm; Diane encounters a familiar face in court; Lucca is given an exciting, high-profile divorce case.

We're back in the "real world". Can someone fill me in on what is going on with the main guy having the affair with judge Charlotte . I did not see last season. I thought he was back together with his ex at the firm. 

It seems like they should retitle the show "The Fucking Good Fight." I don't have a problem with salty language (being a foul-mouth myself), but they are pushing it too hard. As bad as I am, I would NEVER use that word in any kind of business/professional setting. 

Glad to see MJFox. Also enjoyed David Lee sparring with Luca. The twist ending of David being the smarter attorney on the case was cool, and I loved his scared airplane faces. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Also enjoyed David Lee sparring with Luca. The twist ending of David being the smarter attorney on the case was cool, and I loved his scared airplane faces. 

He may have been the "smarter attorney" but couldn't he have shared his reasoning with his co-counsel?  And somehow the settlement was a done deal by the time he heard of it? 

• Love 13

It seems like the show is less about the political realm at large and more about the law and the absence of it for the wealthy. It remains to be seen how they portray Julius as a Trump lover dropped into a world that shakes his ideals. It seems he was signalling to Diane for help though.

I am just going to forget last season really happened and focus on the here and now...and the end video of them all singing "You Are My Sunshine" was really sweet...

• Love 1

I don't know who this STR Laurie is but clearly they have way, way too much money.

Nope, Luca, I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books either.

Maybe if David Lee hadn't kept Luca out of the loop that divorce case wouldn't have gone sideways.

So is this Memo 618 some Illuminati bullsh!t? Not sure I want to buy into that even for this show.

Lol, when Audra McDonald chimed in everyone else sounded like frogs with laryngitis.

• Love 4
On 4/17/2020 at 6:15 PM, SoMuchTV said:

He may have been the "smarter attorney" but couldn't he have shared his reasoning with his co-counsel?  And somehow the settlement was a done deal by the time he heard of it? 

Also what was with all the racism?!  Was David Lee like that on TGW?  All of a sudden he's this racist asshole?  It was so uncomfortable and weird.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m wondering if Julius will get a message to Diane to look into Memo 618.

Agreed that the divorce case was handled wrong.  David needed to communicate and no way would the settlement go through that fast anyway . 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 6:15 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Not only should he have shared his strategy with Luca, he also should have shared it with his client. But also it’s Luca’s job to be aware of the tax consequences of settling. 

Edited by marny
On 5/10/2020 at 6:07 PM, marny said:

Not only should he have shared his strategy with Luca, he also should have shared it with his client. But also it’s Luca’s job to be aware of the tax consequences of settling. 

Lucca was clear with the client that settling would cost more money. The client didn't choose to quibble over how much. If that motivated her David probably would have told the client about the tax earlier.

How does the tax scenario David was talking about apply? Because if he's describing a tax on income, unless the settlement itself causes the client's income to change, she is going to be paying the tax on that income anyway. So she wouldn't be any better off waiting to pay the settlement in that case. 

I'm sure in the story we are supposed to feel that David was smarter and Lucca did the client a disservice by not being aware of the tax implications he had been secretly focused on. $10M sounds like a lot of money. But for that to be the difference in the tax implications the amount of the settlement itself must be colossal and the additional $10M might be worth it to the client even if David disagrees.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:53 PM, stonehaven said:

It seems like the show is less about the political realm at large and more about the law and the absence of it for the wealthy.

My take is that the show was not meant to be taken as realism, but as allegory. Allegory that totally calls back to the political realm. I have to be careful here because we shouldn't talk politics, but I don't know how to extricate politics from the episode's intentions. And those intentions were to make us think of the "trickle-down" effect on society when our leaders treat subpoenas like toilet paper.

• Like 1