Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E09: The Knockouts Premiere

• Start Topic

Airs April 13, 2020

The knockouts begin as the coaches, along with a mega-mentor, prepare their artists to perform individually against a teammate; the coaches choose a winner to advance and have one steal each.

Just saw Blake Shelton on the Tonight Show.  Apparently, they're going to try to do something where the coaches give advice remotely (via computer).  Don't know how they'll set up performances to make them all consistent in sound quality.  Maybe have them go to a studio and sing to a track (or remote musicians)?

• Love 1

I haven’t seen the whole episode yet (have to catch the rest tomorrow), but I thought Joei’s performance kicked the 14-yo Waylon Jennings rendition’s butt.

Unfortunately, that was followed by a ridiculously over-sung “Say Something” (a song that gets its power from its simplicity), and a mechanical “Piece by Piece” which: nope. Kelly is the only person I can hear on that song. Not only that, but specifically Kelly on her AI performance of that song. 

Blake isn’t wrong about Spanx.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Amazingly, this two hour episode went almost exactly like I wanted it to go. Minus John picking Mike instead of the deserved winner, Darious.

Going 2nd really hurt both Cam and Tate I think. Cam should have lost in the Battles so I can't say I was surprised at his lackluster performance, but I think watching Todd's energy and pretty spot on Travis Tritt impersonation did him in before he even started. Tate kept it closer, but Roderick's almost flawless falsetto basically forced Nick's hand. I think he probably wanted to ride with Tate but he just couldn't deny Roderick the victory.

No major issues with two steals other than the steal back is getting a little predictable at this point.. 

KO's left

Blake has one between Cedrice and Toneisha

John has one between Mandi Castillo and Thunderstorm. Doesn't take a genius to feel like the loser of that KO is getting stolen.

Kelly has two, some combination of Anaya, Mandi Thomas, Micah, and Tayler. Plus a STEAL.

Nick has two left as well, Allegra, Arei, Jacob and Jon will make up those two KO's. Plus he also has a STEAL to use.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4

For me, the stand out this week was James Taylor. Yes, I'm biased, but, I think he was the best celebrity coach they've ever had.  And, he's so humble.  What a treat!

I also liked a LOT of the song selections and I normally do not.  I thought most everyone did really well, except for one, who did go home from Blake's team.  

I wish the coaches would settle down their banter when they are addressing a contestant after their performance and stop talking to each other. The thing about the earring was too much. It's disrespectful to the artists who should have their full attention at that moment. 

I really liked Todd.  Maybe, because I like the song Anymore so much. 

Also, liked Joei, Zan and Camm Wess.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Unfortunately, that was followed by a ridiculously over-sung “Say Something” (a song that gets its power from its simplicity), and a mechanical “Piece by Piece” which: nope.

Mechanical is a great word to describe it.  Megan is very talented but both in personality and performance she is very robotic.

• Love 4

I don't normally have the patience to watch 2 hours of this show, but, I hung in there for Taylor.  I wish that someone would get together a series that would feature music icons and just let them  reflect and share, with each other.  I'd enjoy it.  Just like Robert Plant says, when it comes to a bunch of old farts like me........I think they have a sense of humor about it.  And, I think they have a lot to offer to younger artists.  I noticed how James Taylor's voice choked up when he was describing what a life of music meant to him!  

• Love 5

There were some really good performances in this episode.  I personally thought Megan and Cammwess were anything but mechanical.  I got the feels from both of them.  But my favorite knockout was probably the last one.  Every week Zan confirms once again why she's one of my favorites this season and Joanna really stepped up.

I also thought Rodrick and Joei were very good.

The only coaches decision that I disagreed with was John picking Mike over Darius.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

So all 4 Saves are going to battle it out, leaving 1. Does that mean there will be one team with an extra person?

That's what happened with the Comeback Artist.  I can't remember her name, but she chose Kelly and was pretty good, but I think she was severely disadvantaged because nobody knew who she was with the lives starting.  I think she lasted two eliminations.

This year will be a little different because the knockout artists will have had at least two performances (plus the knockout that people vote on), so they'll have had at least a little chance for people to already like them.

My dvr recording ended up skipping and freezing and finally dying (we had pretty heavy snow last night), so the last battle saw was Kelly's with John stealing back CamWess.

Could somebody please give a rundown of the players, songs and results?  Thanks!

Edited by Sile

Sile, if you only saw Joei beat Levi and Megan beat CammWess w/ him getting stolen back by John....then you missed:

Mike (Versace on the Floor by Bruno Mars) over Darious (Me and Mrs. Jones by Billie Paul). They both were good, but I thought Darious took this one. Kelly and Blake did too. The way it was edited, I think all the steals were gone when these two sang.

Todd (Anymore by Travis Tritt) easily over Cam (Rumor by Lee Brice). Cam was super psyched out and didn't do as well as he did in the mentoring session. Easy call for Blake.

Roderick (Redbone by Childish Gambino) over Tate (The Scientist by Coldplay). Roderick continues to up the game as a 1 chair turn over Tate who was probably a little off of his best that we've already seen

Zan (The Story by Brandi Carlyle) over Joanna (Angel from Montgomery by John Prine) with Joanna getting stolen by Blake after choosing to not go with Nick on a steal back. These two brought it. Understandable that they would close the show with this KO and that it would result in a steal.

• Love 1

I also agree with all the coaches' decisions except for the Mike and Darius one.  But that is if you only look at this knockout.  If you look at it as a whole, then Mike did stretch himself and his other performances were good.  So I think John based his choice on that.

I think Megan has a very nice tone.  I thought she did well but of course, I'm going to remember Kelly singing her song on AI and nobody can compete with that.  Cammwess sang well too but it was oversung in the Christina A. kind of way.  But I can see why he would get a steal.

Blake had easy choices for both his battles especially the Todd/Cam one.

Roderick keeps improving.

I agree that the best knockout performances was the last one.  I really love Zan here.  Her voice is angelic but powerful at the same time.  Joanna did well too so I can see why she was stolen.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, viajero said:

The only coaches decision that I disagreed with was John picking Mike over Darius.

Me too. Isn't Darius a 4 chair turn? I do think Darius has a better voice but I also think they both over sang their songs. I don't like it when singers add a lot of runs like Christina Aguilera does. Just sing the song, less is more.

I did notice the weird editing where some singers that weren't chosen didn't get the, "coaches so and so is available to steal" from Carson it cut to commercial after the winner was picked and the loser thanked his coach.

I still don't have a favorite.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Sile, if you only saw Joei beat Levi and Megan beat CammWess w/ him getting stolen back by John....then you missed:

Mike (Versace on the Floor by Bruno Mars) over Darious (Me and Mrs. Jones by Billie Paul). They both were good, but I thought Darious took this one. Kelly and Blake did too. The way it was edited, I think all the steals were gone when these two sang.

Todd (Anymore by Travis Tritt) easily over Cam (Rumor by Lee Brice). Cam was super psyched out and didn't do as well as he did in the mentoring session. Easy call for Blake.

Roderick (Redbone by Childish Gambino) over Tate (The Scientist by Coldplay). Roderick continues to up the game as a 1 chair turn over Tate who was probably a little off of his best that we've already seen

Zan (The Story by Brandi Carlyle) over Joanna (Angel from Montgomery by John Prine) with Joanna getting stolen by Blake after choosing to not go with Nick on a steal back. These two brought it. Understandable that they would close the show with this KO and that it would result in a steal.

Thanks for the update!  I did see (kind of, between the stuttering and skipping of my recording) the Mike v. Darious one but it froze for good just as they were starting the critiques.  I'm shocked that Mike was chosen. 

I might be a little biased because I have never seen a really good rendition of a Bruno Mars song.  He is one of my favorites and it's not just his tone or range, but he seems to infuse his singing with so much personality that others just pale in comparison.

Good for Joanna!  Nick's advice to CammWess kind of bit him on the butt here, but I agree with his "Why?" on getting back with an ex.  Given the choice, I'd rather work with a new coach to learn something from a new direction.  They both only had a week with each coach and nothing one on one (that's been shown, anyway) so it's not like there's some tight relationship that has already been built throughout the journey.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Cammwess sang well too but it was oversung in the Christina A. kind of way.  But I can see why he would get a steal.

The irony of this comment is that Christina's performance in the song is so beautiful and understated, with no vocal embellishments, in a very un-Christina way.

• Love 4