Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Bad Boys

• Start Topic

Alicia and Paul try to deflect Johan's interest in going to cop camp and one day becoming a police officer. Meanwhile, Rainbow gets her first role as a school safety patrol and quickly realizes that with great power comes great responsibility.

Original air date: 4/7/20

I enjoyed the episode overall (as I usually do, plus any Daveed Diggs sighting is a win for me) but the whole “Paul embarrassed himself and learns a lesson he’ll forget next week” shtick is wearing thin. I need a  break. It’s so frequent that it sort of reminds me of the shell of a character Jessica became on Fresh Off the Boat, and the first season is way too soon for those kind of character assassinating shenanigans.  

• Love 7
7 hours ago, JeezumCrow said:

I enjoyed the episode overall (as I usually do, plus any Daveed Diggs sighting is a win for me) but the whole “Paul embarrassed himself and learns a lesson he’ll forget next week” shtick is wearing thin. I need a  break. It’s so frequent that it sort of reminds me of the shell of a character Jessica became on Fresh Off the Boat, and the first season is way too soon for those kind of character assassinating shenanigans.  

I agree, I get the show is trying to lay ground work for Bow's life and what leads her to being a doctor and meeting Dre. HOWEVER... they are also in box thinking and running on TV show cliches trying to keep that on par with where the characters will end up in the next 20 years. 

That Denise calendar you guys. That calendar. 

I loved Bow and her friend walking from the hall in their safety sashes to Mabo Italiano. Of course even sweet little Bow would love having a fancy title that she can humble brag about. Did narrator Bow mention that she was a doctor lately? But since this isn't Black-ish, she realizes what she is doing and corrects herself. 

I figured they would be an episode about the complicated relationship between the black community and the police, but this was an interesting way to do it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Another good episode, but I am constantly thinking that these characters are nothing like the future characters portrayed on Black-ish, especially Alicia.  

Out of curiosity (and as someone who’s never seen Black-ish), what does adult Johan do as a profession? And how are these characters different on Black-ish?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Another good episode, but I am constantly thinking that these characters are nothing like the future characters portrayed on Black-ish, especially Alicia.  

I decided early on to think of these series as being in different universes with characters with the same names. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, elle said:

I decided early on to think of these series as being in different universes with characters with the same names. 

Same here. I really enjoy mixed-ish but black-ish has really gone downhill. Keeping them as completely separate shows with people who happen to have the same names makes it much easier to to ignore the differences.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Victura said:

What does adult Johan do as a profession?

Adult Johan doesn't work - he depends on others to take care of him, and they resent him for it. 

He mooches and couch-surfs and recently got kicked out of France (presumably for being too snooty - he has expensive tastes).  I think that's a pretty realistic outcome for a kid who left a commune and then spent a lot of time with a rich grandpa.  Adult Johan still has the mindset of a child in the commune (expecting that other people will take care of him), but he also wants fine wine and other luxuries.  Unfortunately, he hasn't matured enough to realize he either needs to contribute to the group in a communal way (developing skills he can share/barter) or become financially independent in a capitalist way (getting a job so he can buy the things he needs/wants). 

I like Adult Johan a lot, but he has a lot of growing up to do. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Victura said:

Out of curiosity (and as someone who’s never seen Black-ish), what does adult Johan do as a profession? And how are these characters different on Black-ish?

As stated above Johan doesn't work, he floats around.  Paul is not that much different, but Alicia is so much nicer as a young woman, also she is an attorney with a good job and they live in a very nice house living a pretty normal life.  Black-ish portrays her as a bad smelling main stream hating woman.  I don't think I have ever heard mention of her being an attorney on Black-ish  IMO Andre is an ass, he treats his son badly and I could never see a sweet young woman like Rainbow is portrayed ending up with him.  I should do what others have mentioned here and just think of them as different people.  I do that with Young Sheldon.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

As stated above Johan doesn't work, he floats around.  Paul is not that much different, but Alicia is so much nicer as a young woman, also she is an attorney with a good job and they live in a very nice house living a pretty normal life.  Black-ish portrays her as a bad smelling main stream hating woman.  I don't think I have ever heard mention of her being an attorney on Black-ish  IMO Andre is an ass, he treats his son badly and I could never see a sweet young woman like Rainbow is portrayed ending up with him.  I should do what others have mentioned here and just think of them as different people.  I do that with Young Sheldon.

That's the problem with Prequel series. They want to try and give origins to things, but then go about making it look like they are COMPLETELY different people. Both Mix-ish and Young Sheldon show that for some odd reason these characters are just going "turn into these people" when nothing is hinting or has been talked about WHY the characters ended up like this. I reminds me of the best criticism that was given by someone to Mike Judge when King of the Hill went off the air about Bobby and Dale. Saying after getting all the background for 12 years, how the HELL did the characters turn out the way they were. Judge just responded: "It's how we liked writing them." Basically saying: "Who cares if it never makes sense." 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I agree the continuity between the shows is incomprehensible, but I like all the characters on mixed-ish so much better than on black-ish, that I'm just relieved it's possible to enjoy the new show and not have TWO shows where everyone is annoying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7