Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Metal Clan

(edited)

Wow, way to make your cute niece cry, Lin.

That was on Korra. Lin made it clear she wanted to be left alone and even asked them to leave very calmly, but they acted like Lin didn't have the right to her privacy. Korra acts like she can force people to do what she wants and none of it was her fucking business in the first place!

Then Korra and Lin's bitch of a sister have the fucking nerve to talk shit behind Lin's back! I wanted to throw a rock through my teevee when those assholes smirked at each other!

The biggest travesty is they turned Toph into a corrupt cop who let her spoiled ass daughter get away with robbery and disfiguring Lin, a cop who was doing her job, like it's no big deal! I was sick to my stomach watching that. Did that bitch ever apologize for scarring her sister? Then Lin forgives her, and the show acts like it was Lin's fault their relationship was messed up! What the fuck is wrong with this show?

Yikes. Sorry about that!

Edited by steelyis
(edited)

Wow, spoiler alert. 

Did that bitch ever apologize for scarring her sister?

According to the synopsis of the next episode(which I now felt free to read, thanks) Su does apologize to Lin at the end of the episode.

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)

Wow, spoiler alert. 

According to the synopsis of the next episode(which I now felt free to read, thanks) Su does apologize to Lin at the end of the episode.

In the version I watched she didn't.

Lin lets it go with a past is the past, no apologies needed, sort of attitude. And if she did it's terrible she waited decades to do it, even if it was an accident.

(which I now felt free to read, thanks)

I am banging my head against my laptop right now! I am so sorry! I wanted to know what Lin's deal was and um, well, yeah, jumped ahead. Finding out why Lin was so upset and watching her sister take zero responsibility for it pissed me off so much I went ahead and vomited my outrage haphazardly. Again, I apologize, that was sloppy and thoughtless of me. I'm usually better about not spoiling things.

Edited by steelyis
(edited)

I want to get into it more when the episode actually airs but Lin's not mad about what happened to her face(it didn't scare off Tenzin). She's angry that

it seemed Toph favored Su. The fact is she didn't want her daughter to go to prison and later felt guilty and resigned.

If Su had stayed the same person when she was younger then I can understand Lin being so angry but the fact is Su had changed. And she wanted to reconcile but she chose to stay angry.

That was on Korra. Lin made it clear she wanted to be left alone and even asked them to leave very calmly, but they acted like Lin didn't have the right to her privacy.

No, what actually happened was Korra came to Lin's room very politely and said her niece wanted to talk to her and Lin says(throwing down her newspaper) "You want to talk. Talk." So Opal(in the sweetest way imaginable) tells Lin(sitting with her arms crossed and not looking at her) that she was excited to get to know her because she heard all these great things about her from Su and Toph and was hoping we would be part of her family. Lin says(staring ahead) "Get out." Opal is (understandably) confused and asks "Did I say something wrong?" Then Lin turns to her and yells "GET OUT!" which causes Opal to cry and she runs out.

In the version I watched she didn't.

The Spanish version? Did you understand it?

Then Korra and Lin's bitch of a sister have the fucking nerve to talk shit behind Lin's back!

I wanted to throw a rock through my teevee when those assholes smirked at each other!

Reading the synopsis, what actually happened is

Su's sons want Korra to play power disk with them and Korra says she doesn't know how to metalbend. Su smirks about Lin not teaching Korra how to metalbend, not about what happened the night before

The biggest travesty

is they turned Toph into a corrupt cop who let her spoiled ass daughter get away with robbery and disfiguring Lin, a cop who was doing her job, like it's no big deal!

According to the synopsis of the next episode

"Lin explains that Toph retired a year after the incident involving Su because she felt guilty about her actions and undeserving of the badge.

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)
I want to get into it more when the episode actually airs but Lin's not mad about what happened to her face(it didn't scare off Tenzin). She's angry that

it seemed Toph favored Su. The fact is she didn't want her daughter to go to prison and later felt guilty and resigned.

If Su had stayed the same person when she was younger then I can understand Lin being so angry but the fact is Su had changed. And she wanted to reconcile but she chose to stay angry.

I don't think she was angry about the scar either, but I was. I thought it was wrong she committed a crime and thought she didn't have to answer for it when Lin tried to arrest her. Then she ended up scarring Lin trying to get away.

No, what actually happened was Korra came to Lin's room very politely and said her niece wanted to talk to her and Lin says(throwing down her newspaper) "You want to talk. Talk." So Opal(in the sweetest way imaginable) tells Lin(sitting with her arms crossed and not looking at her) that she was excited to get to know her because she heard all these great things about her from Su and Toph and was hoping we would be part of her family. Lin says(staring ahead) "Get out." Opal is (understandably) confused and asks "Did I say something wrong?" Then Lin turns to her and yells "GET OUT!" which causes Opal to cry and she runs out.

Lin was standoffish since they came to the city. She made it clear she wanted nothing to do with her family, right or wrong, she did not want to interact with them. Then Korra decided to bring Lin's niece there and force Lin to make nice with her family because Korra thinks Lin should make nice regardless of Lin's wishes, again, right or wrong. Lin was curt when she said get out the first time, but she didn't shout. They should have left once it was clear she was done listening instead of acting like she owed them more of her time.

Personally, I don't think she should cut her sister's kids out of her life because she was angry at her sister, but she had a right to be left alone if she wanted to be left alone.

The Spanish version? Did you understand it?

In the version I saw she never directly apologized for hurting Lin. As far as I know no one even knows she gave Lin the scar.

Reading the synopsis, what actually happened is

Su's sons want Korra to play power disk with them and Korra says she doesn't know how to metalbend. Su smirks about Lin not teaching Korra how to metalbend, not about what happened the night before

Would Korra have smirked and talked shit behind Lin's back if she wasn't mad at Lin? Korra and Lin fought wars together, they are supposed to be friends and I think it was fucked up she let a person she barely knows talk shit about her friend. I thought it was tacky.

Edited by steelyis

I was also very disappointed in how Korra acted in this episode, and how the whole thing around it was written. When people have a real, deep problem with someone else, there's usually a good reason why, especially if it's family. Korra assumed whatever Lin was mad about MUST be something small and petty and stupid, based just on having met her sister and thinking she seemed nice. She really betrayed Lin there, taking the side of someone she had just met over someone she's known for a few years. When people are so upset with their closest family that they don't talk to them for 30 years and refuse to see them, that's not a history you want to go poking at with a stick. I really didn't like the attitude the show was pushing that everyone has to kiss and make up because the notion of family is more important than anything they ever did, because that's an attitude that can really hurt people in real life. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I like Lin but I don't think Korra was out of line. Korra had respected her wishes and agreed to not tell anybody she was there but Su's guy found out she was lying so they had to fess up. Then when Lin acts like a huge bitch Korra could have written it off as being her usual cranky self but she was genuinely concerned and wanted to know what was bothering her. I don't see her betraying Lin at all. Yes, it's not her business but she wouldn't butt in if she didn't consider Lin a friend.

Would Korra have smirked and talked shit behind Lin's back if she wasn't mad at Lin? Korra and Lin fought wars together, they are supposed to be friends and I think it was fucked up she let a person she barely knows talk shit about her friend. I thought it was tacky.

She was too far away so I couldn't tell if she was smirking. Would she have if Lin hadn't been a huge asshole to the nice, naive girl she befriended? Yeah. Korra and Lin have always had a contentious relationship and they've grown to respect each other but Lin was being horrible.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

If Su had stayed the same person when she was younger then I can understand Lin being so angry but the fact is Su had changed.

Has she, though?  Her partnership with Varrick made me wonder.  And her offhand remark about the Earth Queen makes me wonder if eventually, she'll stage some sort of coup.

Korra acts like she can force people to do what she wants and none of it was her fucking business in the first place!

Pretty much no character development whatsoever and we're on BOOK 3 so her speech to the Earth Queen had no impact on me because she's also tried to force the airbenders to join, the Earth Queen just was worse about it so Korra could look better by comparison.

I was also very disappointed in how Korra acted in this episode, and how the whole thing around it was written. When people have a real, deep problem with someone else, there's usually a good reason why, especially if it's family. Korra assumed whatever Lin was mad about MUST be something small and petty and stupid, based just on having met her sister and thinking she seemed nice. She really betrayed Lin there, taking the side of someone she had just met over someone she's known for a few years. When people are so upset with their closest family that they don't talk to them for 30 years and refuse to see them, that's not a history you want to go poking at with a stick. I really didn't like the attitude the show was pushing that everyone has to kiss and make up because the notion of family is more important than anything they ever did, because that's an attitude that can really hurt people in real life.

It was clearly none of her business, this was a personal family issue between them.

The biggest travesty

They're really trying to turn every parent into a complete jerk/asshole/etc.

• Love 1
(edited)

It was clearly none of her business, this was a personal family issue between them.

When the person who came along to protect her is actually more immature than her and being a bitch to the mother of a potential recruit, without any explanation, then it is her business.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

When the person who came along to protect her is actually more immature than her and being a bitch to the mother of a potential recruit, without any explanation, then it is her business.

Exactly, Lin was only there to protect Korra, that's it. Lin doesn't need to be nice to anybody to do that, and thank god, because Lin isn't known for being super nice any way! Lin literally could have stayed in her room the whole time and Korra could have recruited the airbender without any issues. Korra should have focused on doing that, not inserting herself in a decades long family feud

where one sister acts like a spoiled brat and walks away Scot free after committing a crime and disfiguring her sister

that had nothing to do with why Korra was there. If she had then Lin wouldn't have been put in a position to be bitchy in the first place.

I'm going to reserve judgement about what's under spoiler tags until the actual episode airs, but I will say this.  Korra had every reason to call out Lin for being a bitch to Opal, and this is coming from someone who's usually annoyed with Korra, but damn...if Lin needed to snap on someone, she could have took her frustrations out on Korra for interfering.  Opal, I believe, was sincere in wanting to get to know more about her aunt and did not deserve to be yelled at.  

On another note I am now imagining a Maury Povich-"You are not the father!" situation with Toph and her two baby daddies!

Right?  Then again, considering Toph's nature to buck tradition, it almost shouldn't come as a surprise that she would have two kids by two different daddies.  With that said, what is up with the original characters turning out to be not the best at parenting?  Aang showing favoritism towards Tenzin (albeit not intentional, but still), and now Toph's too-laid-back attitude towards parenting, resulting in a strained relationship between the sisters, with major bitterness coming from Lin.  I wasn't expecting them to be absolute perfect parents, but damn.  It would be the funniest thing if Zuko, the one with quite possibly the worst upbringing, turned out to be the best parent from the original Gaang.  

Nice to see Kya ripping loose with the waterbending.  Good grief, these current White Lotus SUCK.  They were of no use to Kya, who was holding her own just fine, until Zaheer managed to get the upper hand.  

• Love 1

what is up with the original characters turning out to be not the best at parenting?  Aang showing favoritism towards Tenzin (albeit not intentional, but still), and now Toph's too-laid-back attitude towards parenting, resulting in a strained relationship between the sisters, with major bitterness coming from Lin.  I wasn't expecting them to be absolute perfect parents, but damn.

I don't know if it's intentional or a way to create drama.  However I can see how some of the dysfunction can occur.  Firstly, it could be the kids feeling like they are trapped in their parents' shadow.  You parents saved the world.  One parent was an Avatar whose job was to keep the world in balance.  You dad was the last known airbender;  then you're the last airbender.  I can see Aang unintentionally playing favorites with Tenzin due to the airbending connection.  All things airbender rested on little Tenzin's shoulders until his children were born.  Of course we haven't heard about Katara's side in all this.  To be fair, Aang wouldn't know much about  families and conventional parenting since he was raised by monks and not his real parents. 

Toph obviously was a rebel and thought living her life the opposite of how her parents tried to raise her didn't completely work out with Su and Lin.  Based on spoilers as to what caused the rift between them, I can understand Lin's distance.  In their case I also think it's about lifestyles and desire.  Lin was hurt when Tenzin left her for Pema, and perhaps she was jealous that her sister had the home and family she might have wanted but sacrificed for her career in the RC police.

We don't know what Sokka was like as a parent, assuming he had children at all.  So far there has not been any mention of cousins in the Water tribe for Tenzin's kids. 

Nice to see Kya ripping loose with the waterbending.

Indeed!  Katara taught her well.

I loved the whole look of the Metal City.  However they are asking for trouble by mentioning it was the safest city in the world!  I liked how the whole goal in the culture is to encourage people to reach their potential.  I am curious about Su being set up to remove the Earth Queen.  There is no love nor loyalty to her and in her opinion, she's not part of her world of progress.  Verrick's appearance also makes me think something is going down before season's end.  I wasn't expecting to see him so soon, but with him in the mix, anything could happen.

No one seems to have mentioned this, but since Opal is an Airbender, does this mean she never was an Earth/metal bender?  That on it's own must have been difficult considering the rest of her family are.  I can't remember if it was mentioned if Su's husband and eldest son were either - only that they were architects.

• Love 1

Not when her business should be finding the airbenders, NOT inserting herself into family drama that does NOT concern her at all.

Lin made that very clear when they were coming here.

She's supposed to do her Avatar duty NOT playing Jerry Springer with family drama.

• Love 1

Not reading the spoilers, Lin probably has a legitimate reason to be antagonistic towards Suyin.  Since it's personal, yes, she doesn't have to reveal that to anyone else.  Lin, however, is 50 years old, and dealing with teenaged Korra and teenaged Opal.  If her problems with Suyin are so severe that she can't even show kindness to Suyin's children, then as soon as they found her on the ship (because Korra actually tried to respect Lin's wishes, but was caught in a lie), Lin should have decided to stay on the ship.  "I'm sorry, but me and my sister have history that I wish neither to deal with nor discuss."  If Korra persisted after Lin reasonably told her to back off, then Korra would be in the wrong.  Instead, Lin comes into the city and acts like a petulant child, making snarky comments and lashing out at the wrong people.  Unfortunately, no matter how good your reasons are, when you act like an ass, no one will give any validation to your legitimate concerns.  It's the same reason why I couldn't get behind Korra in the Book 2 premiere.

On a different note, the fight between Kya and Zaheer was awesome, especially the part when she pulls him down mid-flight with a wall of water.  Her throwing ice out of that ring of water reminded me of Tarrlok doing the same thing with his water shield, which is still the coolest water I've seen on the show.

• Love 1

Not reading the spoilers, Lin probably has a legitimate reason to be antagonistic towards Suyin.  Since it's personal, yes, she doesn't have to reveal that to anyone else.  Lin, however, is 50 years old, and dealing with teenaged Korra and teenaged Opal.  If her problems with Suyin are so severe that she can't even show kindness to Suyin's children, then as soon as they found her on the ship (because Korra actually tried to respect Lin's wishes, but was caught in a lie), Lin should have decided to stay on the ship.  "I'm sorry, but me and my sister have history that I wish neither to deal with nor discuss."  If Korra persisted after Lin reasonably told her to back off, then Korra would be in the wrong.  Instead, Lin comes into the city and acts like a petulant child, making snarky comments and lashing out at the wrong people.  Unfortunately, no matter how good your reasons are, when you act like an ass, no one will give any validation to your legitimate concerns.  It's the same reason why I couldn't get behind Korra in the Book 2 premiere.

I might have felt the same way if the show hadn't made Lin's niece so doe eyed just to make Lin look like a puppy kicker.

At first I was shocked by Lin's outburst too, then I realized moments later what the show was doing and it pissed me off. I hate being clumsily manipulated so it instantly made me sympathetic towards Lin. I know Korra is a kid’s show, but I think when it starts dealing with subject matters like serious family conflicts, child soldiers, and genocide, then it should try to do better than using cheap narrative tricks.

And the part that gets me is Korra thought little miss 'look at me, ain't I adorable's,' Pollyanna nonsense was going soften Lin. That's not Lin, that has never been Lin, and Korra should know that by now. But Korra sees what she wants to see and thinks the world and the people in it should bow to her every whim or else they're stupid, mean, and wrong. And need to be punched.

Worst. Avatar. Ever!

• Love 2
(edited)

But Korra sees what she wants to see

You mean that she wants to see that the chief of police is still adult who is still capable of being reasoned with? If Lin told them right away to go away then I would agree Korra was crossing the line but she told them to stay. Lin has a right to feel how she feels while Korra has the right to say that it sucks.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
(edited)

You mean that she wants to see that the chief of police is still adult who is still capable of being reasoned with? If Lin told them right away to go away then I would agree Korra was crossing the line but she told them to stay. Lin has a right to feel how she feels while Korra has the right to say that it sucks.

My problem with that is I don't think Korra has the right to get in Lin's face with an opinion about something she knows almost nothing about. It seemed to me she approached the situation like this, "I think Lin's family is cool, therefore I think Lin should think they're cool too!" That's incredibly arrogant to me.

And, yes, Lin let her niece speak her piece, which she wasn't obligated to do, and Lin rejected her efforts then firmly told her to leave. That should have been that. Instead, Miss Doe Eyes pouted and mewled in disappointment that her overly sweet words and flattery didn't have their desired effect, which I found manipulative and childish on her part. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I don't totally blame the kid, because Korra convinced her it would thaw Lin's attitude, but it didn't, and that's on Korra for getting the kid's hopes up. I do, however, blame the kid for whimpering and running out in tears because a woman she just met shouted at her. Because, let's be real, Lin is practically a stranger and Lin's rejection shouldn't have been that devastating. I also fault Korra for declaring a woman she fought beside in life or death situations would die miserable and alone because Lin didn't respond to Korra's scheme the way Korra wanted her to.

Edited by steelyis
(edited)

I do, however, blame the kid for whimpering and running out in tears because a woman she just met shouted at her.

Her aunt whom she always heard great things about from her mother and grandmother and whom she had admired and wanted to meet.

And, yes, Lin let her niece speak her piece, which she wasn't obligated to do, and Lin rejected her efforts then firmly told her to leave. That should have been that. Instead, Miss Doe Eyes pouted and mewled in disappointment that her overly sweet words and flattery didn't have their desired effect, which I found manipulative and childish on her part. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Or she could just be a naturally sweet girl who was expressing her real feelings and should not be blamed for whatever issues Lin has with her mother. 

I also fault Korra for declaring a woman she fought beside in life or death situations would die miserable and alone because Lin didn't respond to Korra's scheme the way Korra wanted her to.

How are we to judge Korra for what she did is when we as viewers were all disturbed by Lin's behavior and also wanted to know what was bothering her(even watching the next episode that leaked online). Korra cares about Lin and wanted to help her. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Her aunt whom she always heard great things about from her mother and grandmother and whom she had admired and wanted to meet.

Lin doesn't owe the kid anything just because the kid heard second hand stories from her family about Lin. And I find it curious Lin's sister and Toph apparently didn't tell the kid Lin has a surly side. It might have dulled the shock of Lin's antagonistic behavior if they had. But considering what we learn later it wouldn't surprise me they recounted a very whitewashed version of their relationships with Lin.

Or she could just be a naturally sweet girl who was expressing her real feelings and should not be blamed for whatever issues Lin has with her mother.

Then she shouldn't use her natural sweetness and light to manipulate Lin into "getting over it" and making nice.

How are we to judge Korra for what she did is when we as viewers were all disturbed by Lin's behavior and also wanted to know what was bothering her(even watching the next episode that leaked online). Korra cares about Lin and wanted to help her.

I judge her because if the situation was reversed and Korra was angry and bitter at someone like, say, her father, then no one and nothing would be able to make her not be bitter and angry until she was god damn ready. Her friends know better than to even try. But god forbid anyone else act the same way around her then they're just mean or stupid.

She's a hypocrite.

That being said, sometimes you have to let people work out their issues on their own, you can't force them to do it when you want them to do it.

And If Korra really cares about Lin then I think as a friend Korra shouldn't have said Lin would die miserable and alone. Who says that to a friend who is going through something so painful they can't even bear to give that pain a voice? No, Korra was more concerned about strangers, granted nice strangers, but still strangers, than her friend.

Smh. It's baffling to me how willingly Korra dismissed Lin's obvious pain like it didn't matter because Lin was being mean to people Korra just met.

(edited)

I would have liked this episode a lot better if it had been used to show Korra had matured by having her sidestep the family drama and keep her eye firmly on training Opal. She doesn't know what happened but she does know despite how surly Lin can be she's loyal, if she hasn't spoken to her sister for 30 years then there has to be a good reason for it.

Making Opal so sweet backfired, I might have sided with her if the Show didn't try so hard to paint her as a poor abused flower being stomped on by mean ol' Lin.

I'm still having a big problem with how Team Avatar are dealing with the new air benders. I keep waiting for a Air Monks verses Air Nation debate that might never happen, just because they're air benders that doesn't mean they have to be monks

Edited by patchwork
  • Love 2

But it's so much more respectful to realize that Lin has her own problems, she doesn't want to talk about them, and that's ok. Korra doesn't have any special claim to get to know everything about Lin's life. It's a larger societal problem, to think that you should be able to "fix" everything for your friends, and that everyone should work through their problems and get along with everybody. Sometimes a relationship is toxic and everyone is better off letting it lie. And like steelyis said, I'm disturbed that they're modeling "being a meddler is the right thing to do" in a kids' show, especially one that is usually really good about showing nuance and maturity in relationships.

(edited)

I'm still having a big problem with how Team Avatar are dealing with the new air benders. I keep waiting for a Air Monks verses Air Nation debate that might never happen, just because they're air benders that doesn't mean they have to be monks

I'm intrigued by this too.  In Aang's time (170+ years ago) the Air nomads had a long established tradition in how they lived their lives.  That was wiped out when the Fire Nation slaughtered them.  With this Airbender comeback, we have benders who had lives, lifestyles and responsibilities long before getting their bending.  Having all of them pick up where the old Airbenders left off could be a bigger challenge.  Tenzin's attempts at recruiting benders brought up the issue of how many people may not want to live exactly like the old benders did.  Should all of them get the arrow tattoos when they become masters?  Should they have to be vegetarians?  Should they give up their airbending children to the temple monks to raise and train?  I am expecting some new Airbenders may choose to compromise in how to live their lives.

As for the Korra butting into Lin's  issues with Su, I agree that Korra was wrong to try to patch things up since she didn't know why Lin was upset with Su and it was rather mean to tell Lin how bitter and alone she would be.  However Lin was wrong to chew out Opal.  She had nothing to do with what went on between her aunt and her mother and just wanted to get to know Lin as family. 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2
(edited)

She has a right to mind her own business that doesn't concern her and deal with actual pressing issues like the new airbenders and having powerful convicts coming after you.

I would have liked this episode a lot better if it had been used to show Korra had matured by having her sidestep the family drama and keep her eye firmly on training Opal.

Which should have happened considering we're in Book 3, but unfortunately the last 2 books don't seem to have any lasting impact on her at all whatsoever, she just gains new power with a DEM in the climax and then moves on doing her usual stuff.

Edited by FAU
  • Love 1
As for the Korra butting into Lin's  issues with Su, I agree that Korra was wrong to try to patch things up since she didn't know why Lin was upset with Su and it was rather mean to tell Lin how bitter and alone she would be.  However Lin was wrong to chew out Opal.  She had nothing to do with what went on between her aunt and her mother and just wanted to get to know Lin as family.

Why does Opal's desire to know Lin trump Lin's desire to be left alone? Why does Lin's feelings matter less than Opal's? Because Opal is earnest and cute that gives her the right to force herself into Lin's life even if Lin doesn't want it?

• Love 3

Why does Opal's desire to know Lin trump Lin's desire to be left alone? Why does Lin's feelings matter less than Opal's? Because Opal is earnest and cute that gives her the right to force herself into Lin's life even if Lin doesn't want it?

Exactly, Lin made it very clear where she stood on the issue.

• Love 2

Still not getting the hate on Opal.  It was Korra who approached HER to try to talk to Lin - thinking Lin would be willing.  It's obvious Opal is being characterized as a shy and (almost painfully) naive girl who thought Lin would be receptive to her.  She probably would not have approached her at that moment if it weren't for Korra's interference.

(edited)

It isn't hate for Opal so much as it is hate for the manipulative way the show is using Opal to make the audience think Lin is in the wrong here. While Lin has been shown to be a hard woman she isn't unreasonable. Korra just assumed Lin's reasons for her behavior was petty which is an insult to both characters and their relationship.

Also, why is Korra still being so naive to just accept things at face value? It's as if the whole ordeal with her uncle, dad and Tenzin never happened. I would expect her to have a dash of skepticism at this point regarding family disputes.

Edited by Gervi
  • Love 3
(edited)

Still not getting the hate on Opal.  It was Korra who approached HER to try to talk to Lin - thinking Lin would be willing.  It's obvious Opal is being characterized as a shy and (almost painfully) naive girl who thought Lin would be receptive to her.  She probably would not have approached her at that moment if it weren't for Korra's interference.

I don't hate Opal, but the way she was written annoyed me. The show made Opal sickeningly saccharine so Lin would look irrational and unreasonable in comparison. So much so Korra got to righteously declare Lin was going to die miserable and alone.

It was manipulative and it threw Lin under a bus.

ETA: Gervi got there first and pretty much sums up all my feels.

Edited by steelyis

I don't hate Opal, but the way she was written annoyed me. The show made Opal sickeningly saccharine so Lin would look irrational and unreasonable in comparison. So much so Korra got to righteously declare Lin was going to die miserable and alone.

It was manipulative and it threw Lin under a bus.

ETA: Gervi got there first and pretty much sums up all my feels.

Unfortunately that's not the first time either, like in the last book, they made everyone stupid, especially Lin and the police force completely brain dead to portray Mako as the only rational person there.

I'm annoyed at the way the writers have to manipulate the narrative so the viewers would feel a certain way about a certain character/situation.

Jesus, the spoilers are still clear as day with no tags in some posts at the top of this thread. Could someone edit it? I'm legitimately bummed, I deliberately avoided reading anything to do with the leaked episodes.

(edited)

Jesus, the spoilers are still clear as day with no tags in some posts at the top of this thread. Could someone edit it? I'm legitimately bummed, I deliberately avoided reading anything to do with the leaked episodes.

Are you seeing the spoilers in my posts? I see them all as tagged in the browsers I use so I can't tell which ones need to be edited. Plus, I'm not sure if it's allowed to delete/edit posts after they've been replied to.

Damn, I wish I hadn't put those spoilers up in the first place!

Edited by steelyis

I'm annoyed at the way the writers have to manipulate the narrative so the viewers would feel a certain way about a certain character/situation.

Yes, it makes me irritated. Lin might have been gruff when we first met her, but she was just plain mean to Opal, and it felt like a supposedly adult character lowering herself to be unwarrantedly mean. Lin's a cop, if she doesn't have more control over how she expresses her emotions, she'd be a really poor one, and I know she's not, so it was really blatant changes to a character in order to create some plot tension.

Yes, it makes me irritated. Lin might have been gruff when we first met her, but she was just plain mean to Opal, and it felt like a supposedly adult character lowering herself to be unwarrantedly mean. Lin's a cop, if she doesn't have more control over how she expresses her emotions, she'd be a really poor one, and I know she's not, so it was really blatant changes to a character in order to create some plot tension.

Ita.

It's like the people running the show don't know how to make conflict happen organically anymore.

It's terribly contrived drama unfortunately.