Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Parents Just Don't Understand

• Start Topic

(edited)

OF COURSE Paul had his head so far up his ass that he found Debbie Gibson's music offensive and referred to it as "noise." I remember that Debbie Gibson was lauded during her heydey because she was the youngest female to write, produce, and perform a number one song (Foolish Beat, which wasn't even her best song). Anyway, she wrote "Only in My Dreams" when she was 14 so I think the subject matter was age appropriate. Maybe it didn't change the world, but it's still pretty relatable for teenagers.

Other awesome songs used in this episode:

I Ain't No Joke - Eric B & Rakim

White Lines - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I continue to enjoy Dee and Harrison's growing friendship. What I really like is that the writers have made this relationship and its evolution believable. If you had told me at the beginning of the season that Harrison would defend her in public and refer to her as his family, I would have thought naaaaah. But after seeing how their friendship has grown over the past few months, it felt totally believable when he did it.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OF COURSE Paul had his head so far up his ass that he found Debbie Gibson's music offensive and referred to it as "noise." I remember that Debbie Gibson was lauded during her heydey because she was the youngest female to write, produce, and perform a number one song (Foolish Beat, which wasn't even her best song). Anyway, she wrote "Only in My Dreams" when she was 14 so I think the subject matter was age appropriate. Maybe it didn't change the world, but it's still pretty relatable for teenagers.

Seriously. Considering Bow's very recent forced breakup with Bryce is it at all surprising that she related to Only In My Dreams? Paul was just being a misogynistic asshole for dismissing music aimed at young women.

• Love 2

I loved Bow's friends being supportive, and not telling her what music was cool, or trying to sway her to their favorites. They brought a variety and encouraged her to find what she liked on her own. Nice moment.   

• Love 12

I loved Bow's friends being supportive, and not telling her what music was cool, or trying to sway her to their favorites. They brought a variety and encouraged her to find what she liked on her own. Nice moment.   

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by their behavior here. They're usually rather passive-aggressive in their little putdowns of Bow and her lack of knowledge of how things work in the "real" world.

I continue to enjoy Dee and Harrison's growing friendship. What I really like is that the writers have made this relationship and its evolution believable. If you had told me at the beginning of the season that Harrison would defend her in public and refer to her as his family, I would have thought naaaaah. But after seeing how their friendship has grown over the past few months, it felt totally believable when he did it.

I've been enjoying too though with this episode I was afraid it would go to far and they'd start looking at each other in that way. The way that means they're considering each other as romantic partners. I sure hope the show doesn't go there because it would be IMO, such a sitcom cliché. Dee and Harrison do make good friends though because they're more alike than they realize.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5

At the end of the episode, Rainbow is listening to "My Box" by Owen Chaim.

15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Does anybody know the Name and Artist of the Rap song that Alicia and Paul were listening to on Johan's tape player?

It was "I Ain't No Joke" by Eric B. and Rakim.

• Love 2

I loved this episode.

Bow has great taste.  If you are going to be converted to rap then Eric B. And Rakim are the ones to go for.  To this day 'Eric B. Is President' stands out as one of the best rap songs ever written or performed, imo.  

I came in the door, I said it before
I never let the mic magnetize me no more
But it's biting me, fighting me, inviting me to rhyme...

I mean, Rakim wrote those lyrics when he was 17 years old... Dude.

Anyhoo...  I also loved how damned long that telephone cord was when she was hiding in the closest.  LOL.  Takes me back.

Also, Alicia and Paul were just too much.  Chocolate and Milk?  I wanted to die for those kids.

Loving the relationship with Dee and Harrison.  Gary Cole continues to have so much fun in his role.  And these two are a perfect foil for each other.  His pep talk was terrible but awesome.  Also, they manage to dress Alicia in some seriously heinous 80s fashion... I don't remember it being that bad.  But I thought Dee's fancy dress was dead on 80s. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 3/18/2020 at 12:39 AM, AnimeMania said:

Does anybody know the Name and Artist of the Rap song that Alicia and Paul were listening to on Johan's tape player?

The one with all the bleeped out lyics that had them against Bow listening to rap? I didn't recognize it, I suspect it's something they made for the show.

Oh the never ending trails of parents trying to understand their kids music! That was a really good episode, I really liked seeing Bow explore different types of music and Paul and Alicia being really music judgy and then realizing that they were acting just like their parents did about their music. 

I also thought this was a nice episode for Bows friends, I thought it was sweet of them to let Bow listen to tons of their music and choose what she likes best, no judgement. I mean, Paul and Alicia could have used that as a lesson! Dont diss Eric B. and Rakim and their whole genre out of hand, and dont be saying crap about Debbie Gibson! 

I continue to love the friendship between Harrison and Dee, its been built up so well over the season, and you can really see how much they connect with each other, despite their many external differences. 

Also, did you know that Harrison has a Ferrari? He rarely brings it up, but I thought I would share!

• Love 11
On 3/21/2020 at 9:24 PM, possibilities said:

It bugs me that it was okay for Johan to listen to that music, but not for Bow.

I thought they did say it was going to stop but you are right, he had been listening to that for months and they never commented. 

And Debbie Gibson rocks. That is all.

• Love 1