Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Gumboot Becky

• Start Topic

Davia gains unwanted notoriety at her school when a creative attempt to reach her students goes awry. Callie helps Judge Wilson in the aftermath of his son’s death, Mariana crosses a line and meets with the infamous Amanda, Malika tries to make things right with Isaac, and Dennis finally seeks help for his depression.

Is that the right episode description, because the Mariana and Dennis stuff doesn't match what I saw.

Why does Callie always do the thing I'm yelling at the TV for her not to do? I know she helped him, but going with Judge Wilson seemed like a terrible idea. How does she still have her job?

I think it is pretty terrible of Evan to ask Mariana to let her app fail.

I am not sure how Davia became one of my favorite characters.

• Love 3

I could have sworn in the first season that Davia said she taught kindergarten.  Or did I just make that up in my head.    

Gumboot Becky was indeed cringe worthy.  I get what she was trying to do and it was a very cool way to connect the content in the book to something her kids would be interested in.  However, she could have found a video or reached out to folks in the community who do stepping.  If she wasn't comfortable asking Malika for potential leads (I have a vague memory of Malika and her friends doing a bit of stepping during their spoken word  piece at the Coterie performance dinner thing), she could have done some research on her own to find someone.

• Love 3

I am glad the women in Mariana's workplace had a sit down and hashed out their communication issues.  It was a mature move and lessened the perception of them becoming as toxic as some of the men.  Overall Mariana's office isn't as interesting this season as last.   Also, I don't get how making her APP fail will wrest Evan's company out of the control of the board?  The only way he can veto the board is if he has the majority stake in the company, otherwise the board can continue to collectively outvote him on every point.

Is Davia a new teacher?  Cuz that was a rookie, fresh out of Teacher Ed school move.  Also I just had a thought... would a teacher have made that  'fat bitch' clap back video in a blinged out bikini?  My brother in law is a principal in a middle school and he won't even allow himself to be photographed in a group shot at a dinner table with even something as benign as a half glass of wine anywhere within reaching distance.  He is hyper aware of how he presents on social media.

I just got second hand embarrassment watching her. There was a whole bunch of ' just no, girl.' going on with that.  It is like watching mommy bloggers trying to use Black Twitter speak.  That never works well. Personally, I think is a wrong take to presume that the reason she isn't connecting with them is cultural.  When in fact it is patently clear she has lost control of her classroom, period.  Kids that age sense blood in the water.  They respond to authority and charisma.  it is clear she has neither in front of the class.  And I wouldn't necessarily take advice from Malika.  Again, just because Malika is black doesn't mean she knows what will spark for them.  

And I wonder if the Judge has any self awareness now about the need a parents has to make sure the people responsible for the death of their child are punished?

• Love 5

Yeah, her existence as a plus size influencer who does videos in bikini's doesn't mesh with being a high school teacher.  They would have been mocking her for that video more than her stepping.  The Stepping wasn't a bad idea but a video would have been better.  They're high schoolers, not fourth graders.

I thought she was teaching fourth grade or something.  Didn't she bring one of her students home in a previous season?  I do remember that she was a teach for america teacher and her complete inability to know what she's doing fits with that.  Teach for America puts untrained (but highly educated) college graduates in low income classrooms who have no idea what they are doing and are there because they want to "make a difference".  Being a first year (although wouldn't this be her third year) teacher is hard enough, but doing it without having gone through student teaching or observations. . . . .

• Love 3
7 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I could have sworn in the first season that Davia said she taught kindergarten.  Or did I just make that up in my head. 

For sure one of her students was younger than what we saw this week. I remember her coming home with Davia and they fed her and I think she also used their shower, because she was homeless. She seemed really young, there was something about her waiting for her dad. None of the kids in Davia's class this week seem like they'd need to go home with the teacher while they waited for Dad.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, possibilities said:

For sure one of her students was younger than what we saw this week. I remember her coming home with Davia and they fed her and I think she also used their shower, because she was homeless. She seemed really young, there was something about her waiting for her dad. None of the kids in Davia's class this week seem like they'd need to go home with the teacher while they waited for Dad.

That's so right.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  That kid was definitely upper elementary age, or at the most a 6th or 7th grader. 

1 hour ago, meatball77 said:

Being a first year (although wouldn't this be her third year) teacher is hard enough, but doing it without having gone through student teaching or observations. . . . .

She should be a 3rd year teacher.  Her TFA commitment ended last year, which is why she was so excited to move back home to be with the married guy because he was supposed to end it with his wife.  Then when he said he wasn't going to (duh), she decided to stay on.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

That's so right.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  That kid was definitely upper elementary age, or at the most a 6th or 7th grader. 

She should be a 3rd year teacher.  Her TFA commitment ended last year, which is why she was so excited to move back home to be with the married guy because he was supposed to end it with his wife.  Then when he said he wasn't going to (duh), she decided to stay on.  

Maybe when she re-upped her commitment she got moved to a new school? That could explain who she's struggling with her students now?

That kid who came home with her last season seemed middle school age to me. So it could have been a lower grade in a 6-12 school, but it seems unlikely you'd see that in LA.

7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Is Davia a new teacher?  Cuz that was a rookie, fresh out of Teacher Ed school move.  Also I just had a thought... would a teacher have made that  'fat bitch' clap back video in a blinged out bikini?  My brother in law is a principal in a middle school and he won't even allow himself to be photographed in a group shot at a dinner table with even something as benign as a half glass of wine anywhere within reaching distance.  He is hyper aware of how he presents on social media.

I just got second hand embarrassment watching her. There was a whole bunch of ' just no, girl.' going on with that.  It is like watching mommy bloggers trying to use Black Twitter speak.  That never works well. Personally, I think is a wrong take to presume that the reason she isn't connecting with them is cultural.  When in fact it is patently clear she has lost control of her classroom, period.  Kids that age sense blood in the water.  They respond to authority and charisma.  it is clear she has neither in front of the class.  And I wouldn't necessarily take advice from Malika.  Again, just because Malika is black doesn't mean she knows what will spark for them.  

And I wonder if the Judge has any self awareness now about the need a parents has to make sure the people responsible for the death of their child are punished?

Good point about Davia being a teacher and the 'fat bitch' video. I was just talking to a teacher who said how paranoid she is of people taking pictures of her.  I guess when she started she was told how important it was to never have pictures on social media that show her in any way that people think could be negative.

I don't think the writers know much about teaching. They also had Davia comment about how she picked a book she thought her students would like. Most teachers can't just pick any books they want to teach, they would have to teach to a reading list and standards.

I am hoping the Judge gains self awareness. I am guessing that was the point? But I can't imagine how he can be impartial on any case involving a child's death or drugs right now.

• Love 4

Poor Davia lol, but that was definitely in such bad taste. 

Callie continues to keep getting way in over her head, but then she feels justified because it always turns out soooo well for her. I kind of hope that the judge still presses charges against Malika. I like her, but she and Callie are both so reckless to the point that it's fucking annoying.

Oh sure, just toss in some conflict between Callie and her boyfriend so they can break up, and she can get back with Gael. Gross. 

On 1/24/2020 at 11:14 AM, DearEvette said:

Yes. For someone who always prides himself on rules and following decorum he is behaving very inappropriately. I couldn’t believe he PUSHED Callie as far as he did. I know she’s skinny but wtf. And he’s putting his hands on people because his ADULT SON made the choice to purchase and take pills.....

• Love 2

Not a bad idea Davia, but the execution really needed work. Showing a video or something would have been a better idea. Add me to the list of people confused by what Davias job is, or what grade she is supposed to be teaching. I remember her teaching little kids, but now teaches high schoolers? Did she change grades in between seasons? If I was her, I would be more worried about getting fired for her clapback video than not connecting with her students, schools dont mess around when it comes to their employees social media. And if she is an influencer with any degree of success, you would think her students would have found that by now and would have been making fun of her about that. 

Poor Callie, the one time she isnt sticking herself into ridiculous drama, she gets dragged into some kind of drug sting operation or whatever with her spiraling ex boss! So I guess all of this is so that the Judge can find more empathy for Black Lives Matter and let Malika off with a slap on the wrist.

• Love 1