Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E13: Daniel Radcliffe, Alan Cumming, Miriam Margolyes, Sharon Horgan, Craig David

• Start Topic

Joining Graham on his sofa tonight: British actors-turned-Hollywood stars DANIEL RADCLIFFE and ALAN CUMMING, together on the West End stage in Beckett's "Endgame"; the irrepressible MIRIAM MARGOLYES, talking about the latest series of “Call the Midwife”; actor and writer SHARON HORGAN ("Catastrophe", "Pulling"), starring in inspirational real-life drama "Military Wives"; and singer-songwriter CRAIG DAVID, performing a track from his classic album "Born To Do It" (celebrating 20 years since its release).

This is one for the ages! 

Graham's response when Miriam Margolyes asked him if he has a foreskin killed me.  Then Alan Cumming starts talking about a face cream made from foreskins.  You know none of this was covered in the pre-interview. 

After Sharon Horgan mentioned she'd used the "c-word" in some interview, Graham quipped "carrot?"  It was in context, and Margolyes pointed at him and said, "He's quick."  He really is.

Then when they were doing time-traveling Daniel Radcliffe, Graham started pulling up the photos but Radcliffe poked at Margolyes and asked if she's familiar with the concept, and she said she wasn't, and he explained it to her.  That's the sort of thing that I love about this show.  I'd swear they're sitting in my living room.

Also, in another thread I said I needed a third to join Ricky Gervais and Helena Bonham Carter as best couch sitters.  Margolyes it is.

• Love 8

Oh my Lord Miriam Margolyles was a hoot.  Graham was even helpless.
I love Alan Cummings ,my tv is programmed to tape anytime he’s on anything plus I read his book but  did not know he’d been married to a woman. 
Very good couch. 
I agree about Ricky, a favorite of mine. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Add Ricky
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I agree about Ricky, a favorite of mine. 

I love him too, but for this purpose, it's his posture on the couch that counts.  And I just realized that Margolyes does the same thing--leans back with her hands/arms resting on her torso, always listening intently. 

I have to say that I'm not generally a fan of vulgarity, and especially of the "oh look how the old lady is saying inappropriate things" variety, but Margolyes doesn't offend me.  She seemed to be genuinely curious about Cumming's bisexuality, for example.  (About which Graham commented, "Oh now she's interested."  I love those two together.)

• Love 4

As soon as I saw Miriam Margolyes and Alan Cumming in the line-up I knew that the show's motto would be 'fasten your seat-belts'. Each of these two is a force of nature on their own but to put them on the same couch requires nerves of steel.

The fascinating thing about Margolyes is that she can say something incredibly crass and then follow it up with something incredibly sweet and poignant - it's almost whiplash-inducing. But that is what makes it come across as genuine and not an act. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Each of these two is a force of nature on their own but to put them on the same couch requires nerves of steel.

I was cracking up when she talked about how she thought his accent was less thick and he pointed out that he was doing an American accent on TV.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I have to say that I'm not generally a fan of vulgarity, and especially of the "oh look how the old lady is saying inappropriate things" variety, but Margolyes doesn't offend me. 

She's not doing it to shock; it's her natural state, hee.

21 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I was cracking up when [Margolyes] talked about how she thought [Cumming's] accent was less thick and he pointed out that he was doing an American accent on TV.

That might have been the highest point in a show full of high points.

The drug-drop story was kind of amazing.

• Love 8
On 1/18/2020 at 1:18 PM, athousandclowns said:

I love Alan Cummings ,my tv is programmed to tape anytime he’s on anything plus I read his book but  did not know he’d been married to a woman. 

If you liked his book, he narrates the Audible version.

I love Daniel Radcliffe (I've seen him live on stage a number of times and he's amazing, but I also love him on Graham's couch) and Alan Cumming is a favorite too.  (I saw him in Macbeth, and I had been talking with his bodyguard during intermission, so at the stage door, his bodyguard told him "That's the one I was telling you about" and he signed a poster and Playbill for me!)

Miriam is a bit hit or miss for me, depending on who she is with.  I still think she and Will.I.Am were the best thing ever, and will always love that episode.  Sometimes I think she's a bit tone deaf, and she doesn't always seem to think through her statements (such as that she fucked her way onto Call the Midwife--I'm presuming that it was something like that) and how they will be viewed.  She is essence justifies the idea that sexual favors for parts is acceptable in the entertainment industry.  But other times I love her, so, as I said, hit or miss for me.

I love the idea that Daniel Radcliffe tried to rescue a dog, and people with that dog are repeatedly mistaken for being homeless.  (And how he started to explain how the dog came into his life, realized that it wasn't germaine to the story, and skipped to the important part.  And how Alan uUmming was the one to prompt the story, not Graham.)

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 3

Really, would anyone have been surprised if Miriam actually WERE part of a London gang that was using a channel-facing gun emplacement as a multi-million pound drug drop? "Colorful life" doesn't quite cover how insane some of her exploits have been.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Really, would anyone have been surprised if Miriam actually WERE part of a London gang that was using a channel-facing gun emplacement as a multi-million pound drug drop? "Colorful life" doesn't quite cover how insane some of her exploits have been.

It does seem to fit Miriam Margoyles especially well, hee.