Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: #1 Mom

On 1/2/2020 at 11:56 PM, paulvdb said:

I know what they're going for with Marcus but how does he get kicked off the ski team for breaking up a party at his place of employment? And Justin just leaving him in jail, even if Marcus claimed he didn't want help is super shitty.

• Love 6

I did NOT see the subplot with the doctor and Serena coming. I guessed that she wasn't with one of the twins, but didn't expect it to be him. I'm glad they didn't make the characters kiss or do a love scene, because it would have been too icky.

I'm peeved - can't Jenn have ANYTHING that isn't someone's sloppy seconds?

Justin and Kat have great chemistry. Can't believe he was the one-note character from the first episode that I wanted to write off initially. I like the depth he's been given. I did NOT expect Kat to say she wasn't sure she loved him.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 10
On 1/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

I did NOT see the subplot with the doctor and Serena coming. I guessed that she wasn't with one of the twins, but didn't expect it to be him. I'm glad they didn't make the characters kiss or do a love scene, because it would have been too icky.

Nor I. What a creep that guy is. Good for Serena, proving people without bipolar disorder can still be super dysfunctional. 

• LOL 1

OH MY GOD THIS FUCKING FAMILY

Hey Carol, maybe Mitch doesn't want to move in because poor Serena needs some boundaries?! It's already super inappropriate that her coach and her mother are dating--now you want him to move in? And on that note, it is also inappropriate for the doctor to ask a patient out. Like, I think he can actually be reprimanded for that.

I love Jen. I still think it's weird that she was so pissed at Kat for dating Justin but I still love her.

OH MY GOD THIS FUCKING FAMILY

• Love 3

Jenn wasn't pissed about Kat being with Justin, per se, but because she hadn't been the first choice again. Apparently, somehow, Jenn has been coming in second to Kat her whole life.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, slf said:

Jenn wasn't pissed about Kat being with Justin, per se, but because she hadn't been the first choice again. Apparently, somehow, Jenn has been coming in second to Kat her whole life.

That is my interpretation. It was more of a last straw kind of thing. For their entire friendship it has been Kat #1 and Jenn #2. And Jenn was about to be #1 for a change, with Justin, and then BAM Kat decides she likes him and he, like everyone, chooses her over Jenn. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

That is my interpretation. It was more of a last straw kind of thing. For their entire friendship it has been Kat #1 and Jenn #2. And Jenn was about to be #1 for a change, with Justin, and then BAM Kat decides she likes him and he, like everyone, chooses her over Jenn. 

I’d prefer to think that it was more about Jenn thinking she was about to be #1 in skating when BAM Kat’s baby sister bursts into senior skating and becomes the new darling. It just irritates me they went with the cliche of two best friends falling out over a guy. 

1 minute ago, Dani said:

I’d prefer to think that it was more about Jenn thinking she was about to be #1 in skating when BAM Kat’s baby sister bursts into senior skating and becomes the new darling. It just irritates me they went with the cliche of two best friends falling out over a guy. 

Your way would be infinitely better but given the show I can't imagine these writers thinking of it. It would have been kind of interesting to see Jenn who has always been stuck in Kat's shadow suddenly having to deal with being stuck in Kat's little sister's shadow. Yikes! Talk about a slap in the face!

I'm noticing that most of the storylines I'm interested in a) won't happen and b) won't happen because the majority of them have nothing to do with Kat. And I actually don't hate her character, I just think everyone else's stories are more interesting. Probably because they are actually struggling while Kat is struggling in the way main characters do where you know it's all going to work out of them. 

Like, did anyone, at the beginning of this season, really think that Kat and Justin wouldn't end up skating together? That that other skater was ever going to be a real contender for his partnership? Or that Kat wouldn't end up skating at whatever championship they ended the season on? Or that she wouldn't get the guy? 

• Love 3
On 2/2/2020 at 10:41 PM, Mabinogia said:

How could Jenn believe that she would be #1 to Justin? Everyone knew that Justin had only one night stands, so why would he be different with Jenn? And Jenn saw that Justin was interested in Kat in ep1! Well, people who have a crush, can't be rational.

However, we were shown that a promise to have sex with Jenn didn't interest Justin who preferred to throw darts (and flirt) with Kat. And it told even more that when Kat said she was going home, Justin went to his room, instead of going to Jenn.       

In this episode Jenn finally realizes two things when she is visiting Justin. When Justin says he is leaving and doesn't seem to care about his skating partner and girlfriend who is sick, that is, he seems to behave like a jerk, Jenn's obsession about him is suddenly over and she decides to accept the doctor's invitation to coffee.

But in the next moment Jenn realizes that Justin's behavior is caused by his injured feelings and he really cared about Kat and Jenn, so characteristacally, is ready to give him empathy. 

Otherwise a good scene but it's hard to understand why Jenn didn't realize Justin's feelings towards Kat before or even from the beginning.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:08 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

And on that note, it is also inappropriate for the doctor to ask a patient out. Like, I think he can actually be reprimanded for that.

Umm...you lose your license for that.

• Love 1