Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: O Captain, My Captain

• Start Topic

Frank goes back in time to uncover his connection to Faye, as Debbie's day with Claudia's daughter goes awry; Carl takes extreme measures to toughen up his new group of cadets; Ian struggles to connect with Mickey after their blowup.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 1/5/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I'm with Lip - Ian shouldn't be proposing to Mickey again if he doesn't really want to get married. The fact that Ian countered with "but I just spent all day talking myself into this" proves my point. You shouldn't have to talk yourself into getting married. Either you want to or you don't.

As shitty as it was for Mickey to go find a new boyfriend and immediately move in with him, what did Ian expect? You can't tell someone you want to get married and then change your mind at the last minute and think that nothing in your relationship is going to change. Did he really think that after that happened, he and Mickey would just go back to the way things were?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm with Lip - Ian shouldn't be proposing to Mickey again if he doesn't really want to get married. The fact that Ian countered with "but I just spent all day talking myself into this" proves my point. You shouldn't have to talk yourself into getting married. Either you want to or you don't.

As shitty as it was for Mickey to go find a new boyfriend and immediately move in with him, what did Ian expect? You can't tell someone you want to get married and then change your mind at the last minute and think that nothing in your relationship is going to change. Did he really think that after that happened, he and Mickey would just go back to the way things were?

If I may; you are using too much logic and common sense to analyze these situations. These are the Gallagher's where there is no logic and/or common sense. Besides that, the entire production is way beyond the expiration date.

ETA: The scenes with Frank handcuffed to the bed and "allegedly being tortured" 🙄  are totally asinine.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Ok so the only thing that got me interested at all this episode was trying to remember where I’d seen Deb’s new sex partner before (the daughter not the mom). Can anybody help me out?

otherwise-bs storylines 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lgprimes said:

Ok so the only thing that got me interested at all this episode was trying to remember where I’d seen Deb’s new sex partner before (the daughter not the mom). Can anybody help me out?

otherwise-bs storylines 

Her name is Alison Jaye. I'm not familiar with any of her work.

Her IMDB here: https://tinyurl.com/yfylfger

• Love 1
6 hours ago, preeya said:

Her name is Alison Jaye. I'm not familiar with any of her work.

Thanks!

i haven’t seen anything listed on her IMDb, she must just remind me of somebody else. In any case, I enjoyed her acting more than any of the regulars in this episode, even though her storyline was so predictable I could see it coming in last week’s previews.

• Love 2

Maybe because even in the past when it had its problems this show had some  amount of nuance to it.    Now it is just jumping from one storyline to the next.   Maybe because I kinda liked the idea of Debbie and the older woman even though the show did a similar story with Lip and his college professor.   But at least that story had some.....like I said nuance before it blew up so you understood when it did.  This is just Debbie throwing a grenade at something because she is a Gallagher and that’s what they do.    That is getting kinda......old. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
What is up with my autocorrect
  • Love 5

I'm puzzled by the selective updating of the opening credits. Naturally they had to edit out Fiona and they've made other small changes over the years like when Karen left the show. But now they've got an adult Debbie and the new Liam along with Frannie but they still have Season 1 Carl and Ian. They look like such babies! Carl was about the same age then that Liam is now. Why don't they have updated footage of them? 

And that's really the most interesting thing about the show right now, which is creatively bankrupt. I can't believe it's episode nine already because it doesn't feel like anything has happened this season. The writers are floundering desperately trying to come up with material for most of these characters. Where did this mobile nursing unit idea come from, it just came out of nowhere. Every week it's some dumb new wacky scheme for Kev and Vee. Next week they'll be onto something else and there will be no mention of the nursing van.

Lip and Tammy's story is the one that feels the most organic but it's just not that interesting. Still couldn't care less about Tammy. Did Debbie say she was on strike "up until a few weeks ago?" So is she back at work now? How does she have all this time off? 

If it weren't for Ian and Mickey I'd probably have bailed on this season.

• Love 3

Brad is kind of a scumbag for suggesting Lip keep the money from the ATM, because the person withdrawing the money had a yoga mat.  That was out of character.

And that’s it.  That’s all I can think to say about this episode.  It was total garbage.  I would never watch this show today if if was just coming on.  Hopefully I’ll just finish out this season and have enough willpower not to get bogged down in the next—and I’m sure there will be a next season.  All you have to do is wave money at the actors, and they perform like circus monkeys.

• Love 3

Brad is kind of a scumbag for suggesting Lip keep the money from the ATM, because the person withdrawing the money had a yoga mat.  That was out of character.

I think this comes from the "hipster" invasion to the South Side attitude.  I was born and raised in San Francisco so I kind of understood what he meant. Lol after all this is "Shameless" - too. 

3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

And that’s it.  That’s all I can think to say about this episode.  It was total garbage.  I would never watch this show today if if was just coming on.  Hopefully I’ll just finish out this season and have enough willpower not to get bogged down in the next—and I’m sure there will be a next season.  All you have to do is wave money at the actors, and they perform like circus monkeys.

Tammy wants to pay the hospital bill while Lip wants to be a deadbeat.  He is right that the hospital is gouging them.

She also doesn’t want Lip to be a negative role model for the kid.

So it’s okay to rip off that guy with the motorcycle because he’s some wannabe hipster with money.

He is a doctor but not a real doctor, just a chiropractor.

🙄

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, scrb said:

Tammy wants to pay the hospital bill while Lip wants to be a deadbeat.  He is right that the hospital is gouging them.

The dialogue went like this:  "It's the hospital bill. Childbirth, emergency surgery, ICU... How much? Thirty-six hundred."

IMO: $3600. for all that is definitely NOT gouging.

• Love 7

You're right.

But in the real world, the bill would be much more, for all the days Tammy was in hospital.

I think even a regular birth, without any complications, would run over 5 figures.

Neither Lip nor Tammy are in jobs which typically have health insurance.  So the hospitals would often charge uninsured people higher rates than the rates negotiated by insurance companies.

Maybe the producers/writers don't have a good handle on what it costs.

They did kind of go into health care didn't they, with the clinic V and what's his name was running, then the difference between the full medication price and insurance copays.

They were kind of making a statement, to have all those red state (MO) teens driving up to Chicago for the cheap abortions.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, scrb said:

You're right.

But in the real world, the bill would be much more, for all the days Tammy was in hospital.

I think even a regular birth, without any complications, would run over 5 figures.

Neither Lip nor Tammy are in jobs which typically have health insurance.  So the hospitals would often charge uninsured people higher rates than the rates negotiated by insurance companies.

Maybe the producers/writers don't have a good handle on what it costs.

They did kind of go into health care didn't they, with the clinic V and what's his name was running, then the difference between the full medication price and insurance copays.

They were kind of making a statement, to have all those red state (MO) teens driving up to Chicago for the cheap abortions.

Tami has health insurance.  It was the second scene of the show:

Lip:  “How much?”

Tami:  “Thirty-six hundred.  That’s after insurance.  How are we going to pay this?”

I don’t think that the writers/producers have a good handle on anything, except maybe the cost of what the hospital would be after insurance (part of what I do is looking at hospital bills).  

I don’t see how the hospital would be gouging them regardless.  Gouging requires intent to be exploitative.  Emergency surgery and days, if not weeks, of staying in the hospital seems like it could reasonably cost five figures.  If the cost of health care is high due to a number of factors, that’s another story, but without information of what the good or service is worth, there’s no way to ascertain whether it’s gouging.  

I think the statement they were making about abortion and red states was about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face.

Before that whole thing with the prescription pad happened, I thought that operating a mobile clinic that offered low-cost medical services was one of the more entrepreneurial moments of this show (right up there with Anne and her family offering vegetarian tamales when they couldn’t access meat).  It was even a little funny for Kev to need some time to say good-bye to the painted Vee and Svetlana.  And then—boom—the anvil drops, and everybody’s got to get schooled.  

I don’t really care if someone on this show takes money that isn’t theirs—and it’s immaterial, because the bank would have reimbursed Yoga Mat regardless—but Brad is supposed to be this big AA guy, and one thing that they teach in AA is that “it’s a disease of attitudes.”  He would have urged Lip not to take the money or it puts him one step closer to a drink.  I don’t think it’s more ethical to steal from someone with a yoga mat.  No one has any idea what kind of life that woman has because she possesses something that you can get for $10 at Wal-Mart.  Maybe her back hurts and she doesn’t have health insurance, so she does yoga for free instead.  

I don’t feel as bad for the guy with the motorcycle, because it’s totally bogus that he wouldn’t have gotten a second opinion.  So, if he wants to get price-gouged, because maybe the time it takes to get a second opinion doesn’t pass the test of comparative advantage, that’s his business, his option.

There are tornadoes in Chicago, right?  I wouldn’t mind if they all got taken out in a tornado for the series finale.  I’m joking.  Of course Deb’s use of a plastic straw is going to kill us all first.  😶

• Love 2

This show has always had problems with continuity, especially when it comes to weather in Chicago. They run around in shorts at Easter, they wear jackets and hats one night and tank tops the next day (OK, that one could happen, lol).

In this ep, did anyone notice Ian's tan leg cast as he went downstairs at the beginning of the show change to a black walking boot as he opened the door to see Mickey and Byron on the street?

I'm basically hate watching at this point. 

• Love 2
On 1/6/2020 at 12:31 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

.  All you have to do is wave money at the actors, and they perform like circus monkeys.

Why shouldn't they? That is literally their job. If they aren't performing like circus monkeys on this show -- it would be some other show.

Will Frank actually face consequences to something he can't even remember doing? Or will he slip away like the cockroach he is? Tune in next week and find out.

Lip and whatshername can't really carry this show. They make me miss Fiona (Emmy Rossum) more and more.

I love Carl -- he's such a little beast!

Ian and Micky are still my favorite couple. They have such adorable chemistry !!! 

Debbie is dipping into the underage daughter? This won't end well.

Seems to me having so many girls asking for abortions is making the pro-life argument that some people use abortion casually like it was birth control.  I would think that teens today are more responsible than that.  I believe there are statistics showing teen pregnancy is lower than ever.  Does the law in Missouri prevent teens from buying condoms?

Edited by cdnalor
Spelling
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, taanja said:

Why shouldn't they? That is literally their job. If they aren't performing like circus monkeys on this show -- it would be some other show.

I don’t have any beef with any of these actors riding this gravy train until it’s dry.  TV is not a bad way to make a buck.

But I have more respect for those in show business who walk away when it’s time (Seinfeld, there was not a third Sex and the City movie, etc).  If they stick around to collect a paycheck for this dreck, as my grandma would say, I’m going to tease them about it.  At least they’re getting paid—I’m still trying to drum up my excuse for watching.  😩

• LOL 1

I don’t have any beef with any of these actors riding this gravy train until it’s dry.  TV is not a bad way to make a buck.

But I have more respect for those in show business who walk away when it’s time (Seinfeld, there was not a third Sex and the City movie, etc).  If they stick around to collect a paycheck for this dreck, as my grandma would say, I’m going to tease them about it.  At least they’re getting paid—I’m still trying to drum up my excuse for watching.

It's really our fault. The writing has gotten so lazy they're just going through the motions. But as long as we keep watching they'll keep cranking them out because they're still making money. 

I believe there is still potential for good stories, they just need better writers. 

• Love 1
On 1/7/2020 at 4:26 PM, cdnalor said:

Seems to me having so many girls asking for abortions is making the pro-life argument that some people use abortion casually like it was birth control.  I would think that teens today are more responsible than that.  I believe there are statistics showing teen pregnancy is lower than ever.  Does the law in Missouri prevent teens from buying condoms?

Lower in some states like Colorado where birth control is accessible and free. Also they have sex ed classes. Like real ones. Not abstinence only shit.
condoms are not 100% in prevention and some dudes won't wear them. Also Missouri has only one abortion clinic. Just one in the entire state. 

• Useful 1