Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E23: Reunion Part 3

• Start Topic

On 12/27/2019 at 12:43 PM, heatherchandler said:

But, is age-shaming really a thing?  How can you try to shame someone because they are older?  Do people get hurt by hearing that they are older?  She is teasing them because they are older... is this hurtful??  No. 

I am trying to imagine someone calling me "old" or "older"... and I feel nothing.

I think people get too upset about what other people say.  Who cares what other people say?  I always think, does this person's opinion matter to me?  And it never does, so I go on with my day.

On 12/27/2019 at 1:50 PM, sasha206 said:

When it is used to be hurtful, yes age-shaming is a thing.  While I'm all over this thread talking about how I think Kelly is right when it comes to age and long extensions,  I wouldn't go up to someone and tell them, "You're too old to wear that hairstyle."  Like I would never tell someone they're too fat too wear a certain outfit.  Both may be constructive criticism, both are obnoxious and essentially shaming the other person. 

Emily's not even intending to provide constructive criticism; her comments are intended to hurt. And it's just stupid.  In many cases, one could argue that fat can be helped/minimized.  You can't change your birth year.  

Will be fun when she gets to be their age and experiences it.  Edit: She's really not all that far off from experiencing it, which makes her comments even dumber to me.

I personally find body shaming more icky than age shaming. I can see teasing about someone's age, but not body. I could see how both are hurtful though. I used to have a friend only 3-4 years younger than men who'd CONSTANTLY tease me about being old. It got old. I don't think she meant it to be mean. She normally gave me compliments, called me beautiful, etc. But sometimes it got to me being made out to be the grandma of the group even if I knew our age gap was small. My sister is also a few years younger than me, and so our some of my other friends. I think part of what makes the body comments more hurtful is the fact we all know we only get older in time.

The older I get, the more I try to avoid even joking about anyone being old. So many of us, especially women, feel old way before we ever are. 

I think there is a difference between Emily's jokes and the way Kelly will grab a woman's hair and say it looks like shit or they need to get on hormones. Emily doesn't have that vicious side. The meanest thing she's done imo is pushing Shane to reveal whether or not he passed the bar in front of everyone.  

I thought the only woman who saw menstruating as a flex was Brandi Glanville. I didn't realize there were other women/Housewives like that, so silly. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1