Type keyword(s) to search

Lt. Abbie Mills: Lef-tenant Fist-bump

Not liking "The Littlest Leftenant", only because I immediately think "The Littlest Hobo."

Fascinating article/analysis on Abbie Mills and how her character is in a unique position on TV with regards to race, damselling and basically everything people have been arguing about for the past year or so...

Abbie Mills: Dodging the Double Binds of Race and Gender.

Thanks so much for the article, it was a fascinating read. She was so on point with many of her arguments.

• Love 1

(1) Not liking "The Littlest Leftenant", only because I immediately think "The Littlest Hobo."

(2) Fascinating article/analysis on Abbie Mills and how her character is in a unique position on TV with regards to race, damselling and basically everything people have been arguing about for the past year or so...

(numbering mine)

1.  I'm not a fan of the title since Abbie's height is not the most interesting thing about her. [/Cosima]  However, I could totally get behind some Leverage-theft and go with "Twenty Pounds of Awesome in a Five-Pound Bag."  Not that I'm suggesting any more titles . . .

2.  Thanks so much for posting that article; it was amazingly insightful and considerate in its treatment of a complex and often intensely-felt topic.  I'll be sharing it all over the place!

Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 1

My favorite thing she ever said was after zombie John Cho came creeping up behind her like every teen slasher it's coming from inside the house movie ever, and she handcuffed him to the radiator: We have to discuss boundaries.

eta: Interesting article. The author makes a good point that there are resonances to Abbie's character other than the straightforward plot-driven ones. On the other hand, the author didn't address my issue with Ichabod and Abbie getting together: I don't want her to become stupid.

Think about the shows where the ship got together, and how the characters changed when they went from charged friendship to romance. Moonlighting, Bones, Castle, even Scandal - when the brooding starts, both characters lose IQ points, but it's the woman who comes to realize that she wants the guy way too much to hold on to her silly old independence and the immature way she has interests other than, you know, Him.

She still gets to jerk him around, but it's about important stuff, like being jealous of women he's transparently not interested in or becoming obsessed to the point of mania about wedding trivia. Or else, god help her, she's Olivia Pope. And a character who was once kickass gets dragged around by her ovaries by a guy who's gone from grownup partner to grunting adolescent.

Does anyone who's watched even a little bit of Katrina's plotline think that these writers are capable of writing a man and a woman in a relationship as equals? I don't want that for Abbie.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Think about the shows where the ship got together, and how the characters changed when they went from charged friendship to romance. Moonlighting, Bones, Castle, even Scandal

I don't watch Scandal but one important difference between SH and those other shows is that Sleepy Hollow is going somewhere. They've got a whole story to tell and the writers don't need UST to keep our attention. In shows like SH, getting the main characters together doesn't usually hurt the story. I'd say Ichabod and Abbie are closer to Han Solo and Leia (or Philip and Elizabeth from The Americans)  than to Maddie and David.  

Edited by Helena Dax

I don't watch Scandal but one important difference between SH and those other shows is that Sleepy Hollow is going somewhere. They've got a whole story to tell and the writers don't need UST to keep our attention.

That's certainly why I've been watching. It's just that season two has made me question whether the writers get it. There's been a bit too much Katrina in maidenly peril, Ichabod running off like a well-trained dog and Abby warily side-eying them both and going after him to pull his fat out of the fire. Abby subverts cliches. Katrina is one.

I'm concerned that it's because they have an ungendered archetype for Abby (tough urban cop/partner), but Katrina's an object of desire and a girl. I'm tired of seeing awesome woman characters (like, say, a witch who sidestepped the powerless role of women in her time to overcome death, time and evil) become simpering love interests. Not sure any more I trust these folks to avoid it.

• Love 3

With the way the writers seem hellbent on reversing every stride they've made with regards to diversity this year I almost wish that article wasn't there. It will just give the writers a target, lol.

ETA: I read the article - it was amazing and just ... wonderfully stated. It perfectly encapsulates the issue that I see cropping up, which is how people identify with Abbie.

There are many who identify with her as a woman and (and have normalized her as not black - or don't understand what her being black means for the character) and thus desperately want her to subvert sexist stereotypes - not really acknowledging that those stereotypes have NOT played out for black women and that there are OTHER stereotypes that for black women are extremely damaging).

Then there are many who identify with her as a black woman and understand the intersectionality and that sexist tropes HAVEN'T happened to black women yet in media and far too often they happen in the OPPOSITE direction, making black women either asexual and too strong (or angry) for a man. Black women in media haven't been "the one the hero risks everything for" or the "object of all affection".

Unless Shonda Rhimes is the producer. Helen of Troy indeed (although I couldn't quite figure out whether that was really a complement or a backhanded compliment... but I digress).

I think that many who tend to identify with ONLY the woman part of Abbie are missing the huge picture - that intersectionality of race and gender MATTER.

I remember Michelle Obama was criticized by white feminists for her focus on domestic issues (health, etc). And that literally spawned a hastag of #feminismisforwhitewomen. You should check it out... because basically it argues that for black women, the sexist stereotype of being a damsel in distress doesn't impact us. At all. We're typically the ones holding it down and expected to carry huge loads and to do it all alone without a man (because we don't "need" them apparently (sarcasm).

On the other hand, the "strong black woman" trope/stereotype is literally destroying our community. The idea that black women aren't feminine or vulnerable (ABW stereotype) or worthy of romantic love is so pervasive in society.

I think that stereotype needs to be dismantled and now.

So I totally get how some women can look at Abbie and see a woman that they NEED to subvert sexist tropes... but since Abbie is a black woman - who decides which tropes to put down first? Or is there even a question of which ones to put down first?

And why should we have to choose? From what I can see, much of the fear is over whether Abbie will turn into a wimpy damsel in distress with no agency if Ichabbie happens. I don't see that happening - but then again, with these writers...

It's a shame that we have to choose. And it's a shame that in order to get a strong, female character - she has to be practically asexual. I guess I should be glad that they've got Matt Barr - at least the show is halfway acknowledging Abbie's hotness (even if I wish he didn't have the past with Jenny).

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2

I think the Voice of Reason choices needed to be merged into one item. If you tally up all of the votes for all of the "Voice of Reason" variants, it's far more than the other options.

Just my opinion (and the scientist in me coming out).

I can't vote for Voice of Reason (though she absolutely is!) because I kind of resent that she always *has* to be. Maybe if certAIN peoPLE would be more reasonable, she could be the Voice of Whimsy or Relaxation every once in a while haha.

• Love 1

Okay, we've added a second question that gives you the option of choosing your favorite "Voice of Reason" version. Keep in mind, we'll still be reading all the comments, so if you have other ideas, we're open to them.

Let's set a modified close date of Friday, November 14 at 8 PM EST. Thanks for participating!

After discussing with stacey, we've decided to narrow down the choices and you guys get to vote again. FOUR of the subtitles all received a high number of votes but it was almost evenly spread out, so those have been chosen as the finalists. The poll will stay open until Friday the 21st and that will be the subtitle chosen.

Because #AbbieMillsDeservesBetter.

• Love 1

I am listening to the SleepyCast part with Nicole. This woman has absolutely no idea how amazing she is. I don't get how she doesn't see it but that's probably what makes her special. I feel for her though, compliments always make me feel awkward and unable to respond adequately. I just genuinely think that in her head she's just like "I'm just doing my job and and having fun". I am in awe of her. I want to see an hour long interview where she describes her process, because i can't think of one wrong thing she's done this season. I just can't. 

• Love 2

Fantique, the past few episodes, I'm not seeing NB quite so perfectly made up and her hair not always perfect as in S1 and early S2. We are being told by producers/writers how beautiful KW is and it seems to me NB isn't supposed to be as beautiful as KW.. The only one who would care who is the most beautiful isn't NB. It seems to me after reading Neil Jackson's comments that KW's role was greatly expanded and her costume went from Colonial to Ho so that she is now 'the most beautiful'. NB's lips have always been a delicate pink without distinctive lipliner-in "Mama", the dark lipliner emphasized them. I'm wondering if KW has enough clout to have NB made less.......

• Love 2

With the falling ratings due to her show, she shouldn't. I think in Succubus, Abbie's hair was done that way (pulled back) so they could do the direct parallel with the Succubus and Hawley... so we'd know the Succubus was mimicking Abbie.

In Mama - I don't remember her hair as much - though it wasn't as awesome...

I think the 3rd episode this season had the best Abbie hair... it was perfectly done...

With the falling ratings due to her show, she shouldn't. I think in Succubus, Abbie's hair was done that way (pulled back) so they could do the direct parallel with the Succubus and Hawley... so we'd know the Succubus was mimicking Abbie.

In Mama - I don't remember her hair as much - though it wasn't as awesome...

I think the 3rd episode this season had the best Abbie hair... it was perfectly done...

Ummmm.. Male perspective here. I love you all, you know, (especially  you, Phoenics  ;)  ). That being said, Hair? Really?  Enough from me...

• Love 2

DJG1122, I remember NB looking a little different in Heartless but I too attribute it to the fact that there was meant to be a succubus link and that guest actress' hair would be really hard to style and mimic NB's when it's down. As for in Mama, why would putting an emphasis on her lips make her less attractive? Also, both Jenny and Abbie who usually don't have coloured lipstick on both had the same lip colour this episode and looked closer to their mother's darker lips so maybe they were trying to play up the resemblance between all three.

I don't know...if the writers and KW with making a sexual object out of Katrina that's their problem. I OTOH have too much respect for the character of Abbie and NB to want them to play up how sexy she is, she naturally looks hot even in her token t-shirt, jeans and jacket. I like that her wardrobe is not hiding her body but at the same time it's not about trying to be sexy. She has plenty of other attributes. I can see other people's misgivings about the show wrt portrayal of races and gender even if I don't understand them but I really don't think Sleepy Hollow is about selling a beauty standard. I think that's taking it... too far doesn't even cover it. NB is the co-lead, even if they are not as proficient at telling her side of the story as evenly, and there is simply no competition between her and KW. They're not even playing the same game.

• Love 2

I haven't really noticed any trend in Abbie's styling and so couldn't begin to ascribe meaning to it, but I will concur that her hair in the third episode this season was beautiful. I actually texted my friend about it at the time, because it looked so good. If I had hairdressers tending to me everyday, that is what I would want my hair to look like. Nicole Beharie is so lovely that she looks good in any style though. Plus, she's absolutely adorable in a baseball cap too.

• Love 1

Ummmm.. Male perspective here. I love you all, you know, (especially  you, Phoenics  ;)  ). That being said, Hair? Really?  Enough from me...

Awww - *blushes*...

Hair is almost a religion for us sistas.

• Love 1

DJG1122, I remember NB looking a little different in Heartless but I too attribute it to the fact that there was meant to be a succubus link and that guest actress' hair would be really hard to style and mimic NB's when it's down. As for in Mama, why would putting an emphasis on her lips make her less attractive? Also, both Jenny and Abbie who usually don't have coloured lipstick on both had the same lip colour this episode and looked closer to their mother's darker lips so maybe they were trying to play up the resemblance between all three.

I don't know...if the writers and KW with making a sexual object out of Katrina that's their problem. I OTOH have too much respect for the character of Abbie and NB to want them to play up how sexy she is, she naturally looks hot even in her token t-shirt, jeans and jacket. I like that her wardrobe is not hiding her body but at the same time it's not about trying to be sexy. She has plenty of other attributes. I can see other people's misgivings about the show wrt portrayal of races and gender even if I don't understand them but I really don't think Sleepy Hollow is about selling a beauty standard. I think that's taking it... too far doesn't even cover it. NB is the co-lead, even if they are not as proficient at telling her side of the story as evenly, and there is simply no competition between her and KW. They're not even playing the same game.

While I'm not sure of the hair as proof of them trying to play up KW at NB's expense, I do need to point out in the Deliverance episode that the men walking in the hospital gawked at Katrina - and ignored Abbie. That rankled the mess out of me. I might say that it was a plot device to show Ichabod's reaction - but it felt contrived and out of place given that NB is stunning (and KW looked death warmed up in that scene). It just FELT like the writers were trying to knock everyone over the head with KATRINA IS THE HOT ONE - and I am SO not here for that.

If they had done this from the Pilot - we wouldn't even be having this conversation because I wouldn't have made it past the pilot.

I've just seen this kind of stuff too many times on tv shows - where they try to prop up a character by making another one look dull. Hopefully that's not happening here - but the scene I mentioned above makes me nervous.

I'm going to try to stop thinking the worst - my blood pressure keeps spiking, lol.

• Love 2

Abbie is just as hot as she ever was. I was actually irritated when they took her out of her sheriff's uniform and put her in boots with a higher heel, tighter t-shirts and tighter pants with NO explanation as to why she was now plainclothes vs uniformed. 

Don't get me wrong. I am all for Nicole Beharie showing off her beautiful wares but I loved that they had the female lead who was a cop actually wear a cop uniform and still be beautiful. Her beauty was natural, she wore the uniform well and she seemed 'real' to me in the best way possible.

Hmm... I have to disagree I freaking hated that uniform on her. I think the colour looked off because of the filter they use to make everything more drab in Sleepy Hollow. Literally, my first thought when I saw her out of it was "ah, much better! I hope they burn that fugly thing". I don't it's because it didn't suit Nicole, I think it's because I literally have never seen anyone look good in those when they're not "TV-fied". 

While I'm not sure of the hair as proof of them trying to play up KW at NB's expense, I do need to point out in the Deliverance episode that the men walking in the hospital gawked at Katrina - and ignored Abbie. That rankled the mess out of me. I might say that it was a plot device to show Ichabod's reaction - but it felt contrived and out of place given that NB is stunning (and KW looked death warmed up in that scene). It just FELT like the writers were trying to knock everyone over the head with KATRINA IS THE HOT ONE - and I am SO not here for that.

The thing is, this wasn't about saying, 'oh my god she's so hot'. It was more like well... she's wearing a corset that makes her boobs pop out of her top like they're running for their lives!!!! Of course men are going to stare. You put a stunningly beautiful girl in sweats and a below average slutty girl in skimpy clothing, most guys are going to stare at the below average girl like they've never seen a woman before. That's just what happens. I didn't get the feeling that it was "ooh, everyone is stunned by her beauty" so much as "in this century, super tight corset = slutty something for halloween". PS: not saying KW is ugly, just trying to illustrate a point.

I get that Katrina's... well mostly everything, is irritating right now because it feels like we are spending way too much time on a character that brings nothing we want to see to the table. However I find it unlikely that the writers are seriously putting on a rigged beauty contest here. I think that the last thing they think about is "we have to make sure Katrina seems prettier than Abbie". I really, genuinely doubt that, it's just not what this show is about. They are not fighting for Ichabod's love.

Katrina's relevance depends on the hold she has on Ichabod as his wife so they feel the need to underline why he finds her attractive. Abbie is as important as Ichabod, they don't need to sell us her appeal, we already got it. To me this is a case of trying to overcorrect rather than trying to shoot down Abbie. 

I think Abbie's backstory is much harder to write and explore in the present because it requires a lot more smarts and sensibility to weave her story as it's also very close to the mythology of the show in terms of interference. With Crane it's all about the gimmicks and the historical mumbo jumbo but Abbie's story is always rooted in an emotional ground and a much more serious subject matter. I think that they have to try to be careful and plan a lot more in advance with Abbie and her family's story than with Ichabod because there are a lot of places they can go and it will probably be hit or miss. I suspect that's the reason they took so long to get to an Abbie backstory episode. They also had to rewrite because if she had been in purgatory, all there was to do there was explore backstory and find out why her. 

• Love 1
Hmm... I have to disagree I freaking hated that uniform on her. I think the colour looked off because of the filter they use to make everything more drab in Sleepy Hollow. Literally, my first thought when I saw her out of it was "ah, much better! I hope they burn that fugly thing". I don't it's because it didn't suit Nicole, I think it's because I literally have never seen anyone look good in those when they're not "TV-fied".

Oh I'm not saying the uniform was pretty but she made it work. For me, putting her in sexier clothing is much more TV-fied than letting her wear an actual uniform.  That was my beef.  I thought oh c'mon Fox. Don't be so.....FOX.  LOL

• Love 1

About the hair: I noticed in S1 Her hair sometimes looked better or worse, even in scenes that were consecutive. I put it down to the humidity affect where even the most styled and shellacked hair can take on a life of it's own.

Haven't noticed the lip liner.

I love NB's look - she's beautiful and beauty is not a finite resource on the set of SH. They could put her in a burlap bag and she would still be beautiful.

• Love 2

Awww - *blushes*...

Hair is almost a religion for us sistas.

I'm pretty ignorant about women (whether white or WOC) I confess. Being married didn't uncover the mystery completely I'm afraid.   Being engaged on this site is  definitely a learning experience, to be honest, Thanks for your patience and consideration, I really appreciate it. 

• Love 2

Haha! Don't worry about it, you're better off not knowing. It gives me a headache, even being a girl and black. Then again I am an anomaly in my family because I couldn't care less about my hair looking good. Everytime I see my mom/aunt/cousin/grandma, they literally look like they're going to cry due to the state of my hair. It's hilarious.

• Love 5

I think Nicole looks noticeably more beautiful this season. Her makeup, wardrobe and hair especially has looked a lot better. I wonder if they got new costume/makeup people? I also think she may have lost some weight because she definitely looks more petite than last season.

However I find it unlikely that the writers are seriously putting on a rigged beauty contest here. I think that the last thing they think about is "we have to make sure Katrina seems prettier than Abbie". I really, genuinely doubt that, it's just not what this show is about. They are not fighting for Ichabod's love.

I don't think it's about fighting for Ichy's love, but about fighting for the audience's love. They want to sell the character as quickly as possible. I believe that downplaying Abbie's beauty and propping up Katrina with neon signs "LOOK HOW SEXY! LOOK HOW HOT! Who would look at Abbie, when you have a REAL WOMAN like that?" is very much about shooting down Abbie. The message is clear: all men naturally fall in love with Katrina, the Most Beautiful. She is Goffman's favorite and so should she be with the audience.

• Love 1

I don't think it's about fighting for Ichy's love, but about fighting for the audience's love. They want to sell the character as quickly as possible. I believe that downplaying Abbie's beauty and propping up Katrina with neon signs "LOOK HOW SEXY! LOOK HOW HOT! Who would look at Abbie, when you have a REAL WOMAN like that?" is very much about shooting down Abbie. The message is clear: all men naturally fall in love with Katrina, the Most Beautiful. She is Goffman's favorite and so should she be with the audience.

This exactly.

I think Nicole looks noticeably more beautiful this season. Her makeup, wardrobe and hair especially has looked a lot better. I wonder if they got new costume/makeup people? I also think she may have lost some weight because she definitely looks more petite than last season.

I agree with this - although there were a couple of episodes where she didn't look perfect... but I definitely think the writers/showrunners are trying to amp up the sexy.

I hope that Nicole didn't feel pressured to lose weight to fit a certain ideal though... but she is noticeably smaller this season - in the legs/hips for sure.

About the hair: I noticed in S1 Her hair sometimes looked better or worse, even in scenes that were consecutive. I put it down to the humidity affect where even the most styled and shellacked hair can take on a life of it's own.

Haven't noticed the lip liner.

I love NB's look - she's beautiful and beauty is not a finite resource on the set of SH. They could put her in a burlap bag and she would still be beautiful.

That's a good point about weather - this is Wilmington, NC... humidity is rough there...   

The switch with Abbie was really evident a few episodes into the first season - but this I think is normal with leading ladies. All of a sudden, Abbie is wearing false eyelashes, heavy black liner and lip gloss. She looked great, but it's telling in TV land that they did that. And yeah, she's lost a ton of weight, which I have to wonder - where did you lose the weight from? She was tiny already! But again, this is nothing new with actresses in shows/movies. It's sad, but very normal in Hollywood.

• Love 1

It looks like Nicole gained weight for this role, but now she's back to her normal size. If you compare pictures of her before SH and now, you'll see she's just that teeny tiny.

• Love 1

Perhaps they were just stunned by her poor fashion sense.

The less charitable explanation is that men and boobs are like dogs and squirrels.

No less true I'm afraid... Sorry Men, but it has to be told like it is. Not boobs in particular, just whatever part of the body they're into. Disclaimer: I don't hate guys; it's just sometimes my guy friends say the grossest shit ever about other girls and I'm like "Hello! Still here. I can hear you"

Another reason why Nicole Beharie should be crowned queen of awesome. I knew there was a reason why I liked her.

http://www.vogue.com/873119/heres-to-you-mrs-robinson-ten-questions-for-42s-nicole-beharie/

Just realised that the baseball scene in season one could have been a callback to her role in 42.

Edited by fantique
  • Love 1

Now that Abbie's (and her family's) hard work has been rendered moot and the apocalypse has been averted thanks to the Crane's magical faith and love for themselves, I guess Abbie can now follow her original plans and go on with her life. She can join Joe at Quantico and hopefully be valued by her partners, unlike now.

• Love 3