Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Leaving the Station

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Way too expensive

Are you the one who makes the decision?  I said they could have, meaning if the people who do make the decision thought it was worth the cost.

11 hours ago, Driad said:

Are you the one who makes the decision?  I said they could have, meaning if the people who do make the decision thought it was worth the cost.

This show was given an abreviated season and had it's cast hugely cut. Spending what it would cost to film a quick phone conversation that would add nothing to the plot isn't worth it to production. Dor that matter rhey coyld have had the ghost of Russell's secretary there too. But again it did nothing for the plot and the money could be spent better elsewhere.

Fans tend to forget that it's a business as well as entertainment.

• Love 3

My point was simply that the people who actually make the decisions could have chosen to do things differently, if they considered it important enough.  Some of us may have wondered at the expense of some scenes this season (e.g. the congressional hearings with so many actors) but fans are not the ones who decide.

9 hours ago, Driad said:

My point was simply that the people who actually make the decisions could have chosen to do things differently, if they considered it important enough.  Some of us may have wondered at the expense of some scenes this season (e.g. the congressional hearings with so many actors) but fans are not the ones who decide.

They certainly could have, but clearly they didn't think showing a character who left two years ago was worth the effort. There are probably viewers who barely remember Nadine, and it's not like she was important to the plot. It wouldn't have been unrealistic to see Nadine appear at the wedding, but it's also not unrealistic that she wouldn't have appeared.

I would have liked to see Nadine too, but if the actress wasn't available it wasn't meant to be.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

clearly they didn't think showing a character who left two years ago was worth the effort. There are probably viewers who barely remember Nadine, and it's not like she was important to the plot.

True. Just because we still have fond memories of Nadine doesn't mean the majority of the current audience did. Maybe they even did a social media search to determine if that was so.

I've had a question come up in a few episodes this season.  Behind the president's desk, there was a photograph of a woman.  It was visible in the final episode (as well as several earlier ones). 

Does anyone know who that woman is?  Is it a famous person or just a photo Tea brought in from home?

On 12/9/2019 at 12:27 PM, Dowel Jones said:

By the way, the whistle stop tour, although cute, would have been mostly useless.  People don't vote to ratify amendments; legislatures do.  And, if experience holds, most people don't write their state legislators in support (or opposition) of any issue.  I hardly think that the President would have the time to take an extended train trip to states that opposed the Amendment.

I watched this on Netflix so I am late to the discussion but this show has always been aspirational, based on things that can happen in real life but with outcomes that are very unlikely, and the portrayal of what we (as a country) do, and how, very rosy and far from reality. So it was a Hollywood way of telling people that we can make things happen by getting involved. I enjoyed some (most?) of the show although it made me extremely mad to see how the politics were one-sided "we are always good". The ending was consistent with that vision.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, Calvada said:

How can Daisy afford to take months off?  I must have missed the explanation of her being Independently wealthy.  

That was probably a glorification of public service. People who work in the White House, any government position, even the senior staff, don't make a lot of money, not enough to living on savings. That's one reason why we see them writing books, going on TV to be a talking head after they leave, or becoming lobbyists, which is forbidden in some cases but still happens, when they are hired as "consultants". That's when they make money.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:37 AM, cameron said:

I thought that Bess's dress was hideous.  At first I thought she was wearing a robe before getting dressed for the wedding.

Whoever dressed her the whole sixth season deserves a kick in the butt.

Hi fans of Madam Secretary--

I too was captivated by the last season! Honestly the whole series captivated me--and that's why I'm doing a study on its effects on viewers. I'm a communications researcher, and I'm hoping to crowdsource some help. We're hoping to do a study that measures the effect of Elizabeth's leadership--as a strong female lead--against any episode where the males are in charge (as a control). I've been going through the series again trying to find the best stimulus (Elizabeth in control) and control (men in control) episodes that still are reasonably dealing with the same issues/on the same end of the political spectrum so that we can control for as many variables as possible. Who better to ask than the superfans? What have you got--what episodes should I be taking a closer look at?

On 8/18/2020 at 11:38 PM, itsagriff said:

Hi fans of Madam Secretary--

I too was captivated by the last season! Honestly the whole series captivated me--and that's why I'm doing a study on its effects on viewers. I'm a communications researcher, and I'm hoping to crowdsource some help. We're hoping to do a study that measures the effect of Elizabeth's leadership--as a strong female lead--against any episode where the males are in charge (as a control). I've been going through the series again trying to find the best stimulus (Elizabeth in control) and control (men in control) episodes that still are reasonably dealing with the same issues/on the same end of the political spectrum so that we can control for as many variables as possible. Who better to ask than the superfans? What have you got--what episodes should I be taking a closer look at?

One episode where Elizabeth is in charge is Season 2, Episode 1 - The Show Must Go On