Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Goodwill Stunting

Evan reaches out to a woman with a mysterious illness hoping that Hank can offer a diagnosis. Elsewhere, Paige and Russell wonder if a new client is a goldmine or liability, Emma helps Hank regain a patient while Evan and Jeremiah realize they have to go to battle with Symphony.

Yay Russell! I hope this means he's back for good! Seems like he should be if he and Paige are going into business together.

Are we suppose to infer that the sister (er, I've already forgotten her name) sold that photo? Because that definitely crossed my mind. Ugh, I can't deal with anymore drama with her.

at least Hank caught the rubbing of the nose thing. GAH. Sister, goodbye, please.

Poor Evan - how are you going to build a hospital!?

no baby drama! hurrah! altho i almost missed baby Sashi's squishy face.

Paige + Ber-GJZAAAYYY = win.

Has this already been discussed - but has MF had a little work done around the eyes? he looked so ... taut.

Evan doesn't have to build a hospital (although I think the show is heading there; He just has to build an imaging center. There are a lot of free-standing places where you can have MRIs, ultrasounds, etc. done without being part of a hospital. You just need the start-up money for the machines and the New Jersey waste management guy is sufficiently grateful if Boris doesn't want to make the investment.

I don't like when the show plays Evan being CMO for laughs. I still think he does a good job. I like how they've portrayed he and Jeremiah working together. Clearly, the business is better than Hank bitching out Evan every minute at the meeting. 

I disagree with Evan though. Exposing the woman as a fraud is still good publicity. If anything, it shows they have high ethical standards. The stuff about the business is interesting.

Divya being typically condescending to Evan is tired, boring, and stupid. She is that unaware that the guy could possibly be mobbed up? 

I don't get this show. I swear depending who is writing it's totally different. They do stupid things, but then you have something like Paige being an actual character and not Evan's Wife On The Show. 

Evan doesn't have to build a hospital (although I think the show is heading there; He just has to build an imaging center. There are a lot of free-standing places where you can have MRIs, ultrasounds, etc. done without being part of a hospital. You just need the start-up money for the machines and the New Jersey waste management guy is sufficiently grateful if Boris doesn't want to make the investment.

Yeah I forgot to say. They don't need a hospital per se, because they can still use the HH ER and absorb those costs, which really, they don't constantly send people to the ER. I liked that Jeremiah and Evan were actually brainstorming and being smart. They could use the other hospital for routine lab work and a new center for the other stuff. They've already had a fake auction, so Paige and Russell could put together a real one where the proceeds are for start up money or something. 

This could be an interesting storyline, but they'll probably play it for typical Evan buffoonery. 

Taking away Emma, who is useless, if this is the show, then it's fine. No baby drama, no Boris drama.

I can't stand the trope of new character is useful to the plot so we have to like her now. Because the flip side of that is main characters now have to act stupid so new character looks good. Evan could have easily floated that she might be lying. If *Hank* couldn't figure out what was wrong? Then something must be up. It wouldn't be OOC for him to have thrown the water on the "patient" either. 

While I'm on the Emma blah, stop with the "really? probably?" And if it's the director, put your foot down and don't let your character talk like that. Also, it's a stupid scene. Her: "I can make my own decisions." Hank: "You're a minor living in my house. I'm responsible for you. You don't have to like it." Problem solved. Though I don't think that going to the party was a huge deal. It didn't seem like the surfer was going to have tons of drugs or anything.

I forgot to add that I was really glad that Hank didn't miraculously solve the dancer's health problem-- because she was faking it! As soon as they introduced that plot, I was rolling my eyes because honestly, I'm sure a neurologist or someone would have floated the same idea before. So at least in that sense, I'm glad that Hank didn't magically discover that she had some kind of super special mysterious condition-- but I agree that it was annoying storyline to service Emma's character.

You would think between Jeremiah, Boris and the New Jersey mob guy, Hank Med could probably afford to build their own imaging center for their patients. It certainly seems like it might be leaning that way.

I'm assuming that TPTBs aren't so forward looking since this show has such a split personality, but Boris has already questioned his "legacy" so the plot is right there for them. 

"Off-screen" they said previously that with HH down HankMed was the only ER in the area, so I'd think that they built up enough good will with the regular residents that small donations from each would be useful too. 

Like everyone else, I'm excited by the Berger-Lawson design consultant business!

I also want Divya's royal blue (maybe purple) pantsuit that she wore with orange heels when she and Hank had to break into the mobster's house.

Loved that Jeremiah has a reasonable solution for the lab results debacle (and Evan, you can charge patients a bit more for lab tests).  As for the MRI issue, how expensive are those mobile vans?  I've had a mammogram in one.  Obviously, rates would need to go up, but that's sometimes the cost of doing business.  Wouldn't a mobile van be more convenient that the hospital and be good advertising?  They could team up with a 'Visiting Angels' type in-home care company and advertise that their patients wouldn't need HH.

(edited)

Stephen Spinella is awesome, that is all. I've seen him in a few plays - this show is always better when they have theater actors guest.

I like that the show is discussing the real life issue of the rising costs of healthcare.  Seems like medical supply/machinery is a lucrative business.  

I just had an MRI and w/o insurance was priced at $1100!  (Lucky I do have insurance that will cover at least 1/2 of that).

I'm confused about the woman who was faking her illness.  How did Hank come up with her false diagnosis after the MRI results? Wouldn't he have seen nothing?

I really don't care whether Emma is lying or not or sold that picture to that gossip site.  I don't find her compelling at all.

Edited by apgold
Evan, you can charge patients a bit more for lab tests

They're already in competition with HH for business. The surfer had dropped HankMed for HH at the start of the show. So it's fair they want to keep cost down to hang on to their clients. 

What about Jill's clinic? Invest in that, it's already there. 

• Love 1

Does Boris have his own medical equipment?  I feel like he does.  Then I feel like I might have made that up. 

I seem recall that in the Cuba plot, he had a mini-hospital where he was living. So it makes sense he'd have similar facilities at home. 

The waste management guy could handle the medical waste disposal if his company has the right certifications.

They also already have medical equipment - like their X-Ray machine and CT scanner. They'd have to buy an MRI machine - which runs in the millions.

That's not a lot of money given the collective wealth in the area though. Could HankMed file for an IPO? They could use the money from selling stock to buy the equipment. 

I'm confused about the woman who was faking her illness.  How did Hank come up with her false diagnosis after the MRI results? Wouldn't he have seen nothing?

From what I could tell, Emma was watching the video that Evan had made of the patient, and could tell by the woman's body language (touching her face, swallowing, etc) that she was lying.  Apparently her mother the grifter trained her on the ways to spot other grifters via their body language.  Or something.

I'm confused about the woman who was faking her illness.  How did Hank come up with her false diagnosis after the MRI results? Wouldn't he have seen nothing?

There was nothing on the MRI. Hank's diagnosis amounted to a fancy name for "you've got these particular symptoms but we don't know what's causing them." It was descriptive of what was wrong, not an explanation of why. It's sort of like going to the doctor with itchy, red skin and the diagnosis is that you've got "a rash."