Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Kill Beale: Vol. 1.

• Start Topic

‘Can’t be just about the job, G. At some point the job ends.’  Sam

I can’t be you, Hetty.  I don’t think I want to be you.  Close(?) to what Nell said  

G also said something close to that when having a drink with Hetty. 

Will have to watch again to see if Kensi had a comment along those lines.  Deeks was with LAPD for a week wasn’t he?

Are ‘they’ telling us to enjoy while we can?  If that is what it is, I might find myself watching the show a little differently.  Instead of missing the old show I might find myself enjoying it more.  Then again, I could be all wrong on the ‘supposed messages.’

Seeing Hetty again made me smile. 

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 1

I have been one of this shows hold outs that it was still a good fun action show that knew its characters but this episode lost me.   Not the Beale stuff because he has always been stronger and braver then the team gave him credit for.    The Nell stuff really annoyed me because from day one she has wanted to be an agent  and that has suddenly stopped and  Hetty has in fact been grooming her to take over for her and for years the show has in fact been showing how she is a good fit for the job.  Now suddenly Nell is not doing either.   The show has become more a romance then an action show where Nell is unable to do her job because Beale is in danger.  

That is not This show.

That has never been this show.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I have been one of this shows hold outs that it was still a good fun action show that knew its characters but this episode lost me.   Not the Beale stuff because he has always been stronger and braver then the team gave him credit for.    The Nell stuff really annoyed me because from day one she has wanted to be an agent  and that has suddenly stopped and  Hetty has in fact been grooming her to take over for her and for years the show has in fact been showing how she is a good fit for the job.  Now suddenly Nell is not doing either.   The show has become more a romance then an action show where Nell is unable to do her job because Beale is in danger.  

That is not This show.

That has never been this show.

Unfortunately, while this hasn't been this show, in reality (and yes, NCIS LA has been beyond reality in many ways) people do let their feelings get in the way.  Nell has been showing cracks for the last season or so.  This "falling in love" thing has taken her in a different direction, away from becoming the next Hetty. We've seen glimpses of the Nell she could have become, but we've seen the Nell with the squeaky voice and the one who hasn't been able to cope as well.  

4 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

pretty sure someone in wardrobe hates her 😞

OMG, absolutely. And this idiot on the NCIS LA FB page keeps saying this is how she dresses in real life.  Seriously, how can anyone dress like this in real life?  Where would they even find this style, short of making it themselves?  Apart from that, does LA get cool enough to wear a pretty heavy corduroy pinafore under a butt-ugly, not even matching shirt like that, ever?  

6 hours ago, Ellee said:

‘Can’t be just about the job, G. At some point the job ends.’  Sam

I can’t be you, Hetty.  I don’t think I want to be you.  Close(?) to what Nell said  

G also said something close to that when having a drink with Hetty. 

Will have to watch again to see if Kensi had a comment along those lines.  Deeks was with LAPD for a week wasn’t he?

Are ‘they’ telling us to enjoy while we can?  If that is what it is, I might find myself watching the show a little differently.  Instead of missing the old show I might find myself enjoying it more.  Then again, I could be all wrong on the ‘supposed messages.’

Seeing Hetty again made me smile. 

Kensi and Deeks have been hinting this for a while?  Last season it really started when she went into that missile silo.  And he especially, has been on about starting a family. They have all evolved, a lot. 

I'm guessing it could go a couple of ways, they find a new "Hetty", but I think it would be very hard to replicate her, They spent the first few seasons building innuendo about her life and all the things she did before joining NCIS. After watching this episode, I feel we could see her swan song with the episode ECO is writing.  

The other way it could go is G taking over, but, Sam has a huge impact on G, and we might even see him actually reconcile with Alex and ride off into the sunset with Anna.  Cheesy, though, for sure.  

Other random thoughts about this episode:  

Did I miss, in the really crappy earlier parts of the season, which I've only watched once, because they were so crappy, that Beale had actually left NCIS?  I knew he was in San Francisco, but I didn't realise he wasn't really coming back.  Or maybe, because I knew he was only out for a 5 episode arc. 

If Deeks was away for this episode, will he breeze back in for the next, or will he be MIA again?  These random "LAPD Assignments" really suck.  In some way, it makes me wonder if the stupid IA investigation still is going to get dragged out.  The writers really should have made him cross over to being an agent so long ago.  

If this is called Kill Beale: Volume one, why is the next called Mother?  When will we get Volume 2?  Is their going to be a second?  Or did they just do the play on words with Kill Bill and just left it open?  I kind of thought, with the episode name, it would have worked better with Beale not being saved by the end of the episode.  

Thoughts about "Mother", at least ECO helped co-write the episode.  There is the continuity of the fact that he has been on the set for almost the whole show, as opposed to some of these writers, who haven't seemed to have watched previous seasons and can't keep anything straight, so it is hoped he keeps things aligned better than some of the current writers. 

59 minutes ago, LittlePeas3 said:

And this idiot on the NCIS LA FB page keeps saying this is how she dresses in real life.  Seriously, how can anyone dress like this in real life? 

I'd challenge this person to post photos of Renee Felice Smith out and about wearing said outfits in real life.  And I don't mean on her way home from the studio, running late, couldn't be bothered to change after shooting out and about.  That doesn't count.

That ruffly pale rainbow striped blouse under the rust colored corduroy jumper dress was an absolute new low.  It made her look like the nanny for Keebler elf royalty, and that was the required uniform.

I actually liked this episode.  I've always had a soft spot for Beale.  I also had the suspicion that this fancy job at the "Think Tank" was just a cover for a deep undercover operation machinated by Hetty from the beginning.  Et voila, it happened.  This is similar to when on the Mothership, Tim went to interview with that tech firm that was headhunting him and we were all convinced the $$$ and fancy perks were seducing him to the dark side, and it all turned out to be an undercover mission.

I loved that Beale named his home assistant "Hogwarts."  So, so very Beale.

• Love 2

I said it before (if not I should have or someone else did and I agreed) that the writers make things too complicated. It wasn't that I disliked the episode, but Hetty sent Beale on a "secret assignment," so they had to get him back--and they wanted his return to be special. Why can't the agents--when the actors are unavailable--just go on routine assignments in DC or at another NCIS office?

The episode wasn't horribly bad. I do think the evolution of Nell has been happening gradually the more she's in the field and the team is involved in risky missions. After all, she was seeing Nate for a long time, and a lot has happened the past few seasons to the team. I did sense that a little of her anger had dissipated by the end when she and Kensi were reviewing things with Hetty - but I think Hetty looked at Nell differently after her outburst. 

My favorite in this ep were the conversations between Callen and Sam. Callen's got something on his mind, and if the writers don't let him get it out, I'll be hugely disappointed, again. Loved Sam's reference to Pinocchio and Callen becoming a "real boy."

Also liked most of the scenes between Kensi and Nell and even the dopey tech whiz kid who wasn't.

Didn't miss Deeks at all.

6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I loved that Beale named his home assistant "Hogwarts."  So, so very Beale.

And I loved Callen's comment about his 12-year old self maybe liking the decor of Beale's apartment.

• Love 1