Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Cheat

I admit - I laughed every time they poked the dog with the broom.  And, I laughed even though it was obvious Violet would be outside the door when Freddie told her to come right over. 

I am still loving this show, Ash notwithstanding.  I wish they would give him some reason to be there, as you said.  I also loved them poking the dog with the broom and "turning him on the side that still has fur" just killed me! And Violet is shameless, love her!

The laugh track is killing me a little. Ash is a bit of a prop with no adjacency of his own. He is cute enough for them to flit over, but not too cute to strike them speechless. (Due to GoT: I still see the actor as evil. He has crazy eyes.)

"laugh track.

So agree.  I thought British sitcoms were a bit more subtle but this laugh track is the kind that drove Woody Allen nuts in 'Annie Hall.'

But how can you not love Derek Jacobi and McKellen?  They do make the perfect couple.  Can't wait for the Christmas episode.  And can't believe Ash is the same actor who plays Ramsay.

(It's funny, when they mentioned 'Dr. Who' it made me think of the character Jacobi played in that episode of 'Frasier,'  a washed-up actor who was in a cult sci-fi show.)

"Fine: I know why Ash is part of Vicious. At some point during the development of the series, someone said, "As much as we would all love watching Ian McKellen, Derek Jacobi, and Frances de la Tour doing nothing but insulting each other for a half-hour every week, on paper this seems like a show that younger audiences may be too dumb to appreciate, because they don't see three genius stage actors but, instead, a bunch of oldies, so we'd better add someone a bit more fresh-faced. Can anyone young people would recognize from Game Of Thrones do comedy?"

The problem with that bit of snark is that Iwan Rhoen's first appearance in Game of Thrones, the episode "Dark Wings, Dark Words" aired on April 7, 2013. The first episode of Vicious aired in Britain on April 29th. Kind of unlikely he was cast and filmed the first season in 3 weeks time, or that his role as top psychopath on GoT would convince anyone to cast him as Ash.

And it's just flat wrong. Ash's role is as that of the classic sitcom straight man who grounds the show so the other characters can be as wacky as possible and it not grow tiresome. He's as important to the ensemble as Jacobi and McKellan (arguably more important than de la Tour, wonderful as she is). Same as you can't build an entire show around a Jack and Karen (and to a lesser extent Grace) without a Will to keep the whole thing from being over the top ridiculous. Rhoen is believeably sweet, adorable, and doing a great job with a thankless role. Further, if he was as limited an actor as you say, how is he so believeably chilling on Game of Thrones and so endearing on Vicious?

I liked this episode better than the first one. There seemed to be less shouting the lines, which if it were someone filming a stage play, I would expect that, but it seemed super OTT for me.

I am still loving this show, Ash notwithstanding.  I wish they would give him some reason to be there, as you said. 

Right, like say his mail keeps coming to Freddie and Stuart's flat and he always has to get it from them, then gets sucked into their craziness, or something. I loved his line about him not wanting Violet to make him try on Speedos again.

Love this show. The stories and premise are ridiculous, but the zingers are outstanding, esp when delivered by McKellen, Jacobi, and de la Tour. I'm really enjoying the theatricality of the performances. One of the draws for me in any TV show is the performances, and these three actors are thrilling.

I agree that Ash sticks out like a sore thumb. His presence is absurd. But it just goes with the rest of the absurdity. As long as we have the three main stars, I'm happy as a clam.

Freddie and Stuart go shopping for a new coat for Freddie's Dr Who fan club event. Meanwhile new neighbour Ash seeks advice from Violet and Penelope on winning back his ex-­girlfriend.

I just discovered this show and I absolutely adore it (and I'm kicking myself that I missed the first one). I'm a big fan of the Britcoms from way back so the whole feel of it is like a comfy old sweater. I sat through this whole episode wondering where I'd seen the actress who played Penelope before (she was Bunty on one episode of Keeping Up Appearances). I'm amazed I know them all. 

I thought Rhoen did just fine as Ash. I agree that logically he should have some reason to keep interacting with these older characters but I'm so used to this sort of thing in British sitcoms it didn't really phase me. Like Stuart working at the department store to pay for the coat - that's awfully corny and not very realistic, but I just sort of went with it because the lines are so funny and the acting is so great. It's silly, like Are You Being Served. It doesn't have to be realistic if it's this funny.

(edited)

I wish they would give him some reason to be there, as you said.

Maybe the reason is that he just can't stay away from that flat.  The guys are just fun to hang around. It's not logical but if it was me, they couldn't get rid of me. 

Freddie's description of Ash's girlfriend also make me laugh.  I really hope that they film series 2 soon - I think the hold up is just Ian is busy filming many many films.

Edited by M. Darcy

Beautifully perceptive piece, Tara! For me, while I feel you've really nailed the one "gnat in the ointment" (not major enough to be a fly) with this show, Ash justifies his existence simply because he gives McKellen, Jacobi and de la Tour so much to react to. It may even work that he does seem to be such a blank. It means they aren't reacting to a human being, they're reacting to their ideas and fantasies and objectifications. To make him interesting (or even intelligible) might ruin that.