Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer To Fabulous - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Another fail to me.    It shows how high the home prices are in Bentonville, and how unaffordable it is to buy something that will fit the family near the center of town.    The house wasn't even big enough to have a decent dining area.    I guess with the budget a full addition to make a bigger kitchen and dining area was out of the budget, but that house is already too small.   

It wasn't even big enough, or equipped correctly for a short term rental, with no dining area.    I wonder if the parents will eventually swap houses with the daughter and family?    

I'm watching the heart warming rerun of the Marrs and helpers redoing the Bella Vista animal shelter.    I love how they show adopted animals, including Joe Looney's cat that he found at the house they redid for the two women to rent.    That cat looked so happy, compared to the abandoned, matted mess she was when Joe and his lovely wife rescued her.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

So, a house just under 6,000 sq ft, in Rogers near the lake.    A budget of $205,000, and Jenny and Dave are disagreeing over if the homeowners can have a bigger island?    Since that was a huge priority for the homeowners, I'm guessing it's just a point in the storyline.   If you can't do the remodel for the budget, then don't do a commissioned painting for the foyer.    And get nice tile, not super expensive tile.       The house was nice before, and nice and trendy after.    I don't see the $205k budget worth of improvement though.  

I could have saved a lot redoing that house.   Forget stuccoing the outside pillars, save thousands.    Instead of redoing the floors, patch in with new wood, sand the finish off of the rest.  Then, put the overall stain in the poly, (they did this on Home Time with their wonderful floor guy Mike), and everything will look same, saving well over half of the floor costs over the LVP.    Take the glass blocks down in chunks, don't damage everything by pushing the entire shower wall down.   Reface the existing cabinets, just replace the island, saving a lot more time and money.    Pick nice finishes that are timeless, not overpriced, trendy stuff that will be out of style very quickly.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
(edited)

They're rerunning some or maybe all of the Welcome Inn episodes.  On HGTV this afternoon. 

I wasn't impressed by the lake house tonight.    The swing for the kid had virtually no room to swing.   The house was all stairs.    I didn't like the fireplace at all.   The kitchen with wood grain cabinets, wood ceiling and wood walls was just too many kinds of wood in the same room. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)

The latest episode I saw was for a couple who met in high school when she was a foreign exchange student and they reconnected and are now married.  They lived in a nondescript tract home probably built in the 70s or 80s with the typical small bathrooms.  I thought Jenny did a pretty decent job and the best part of the house was the back yard which overlooks a park (was formerly a swamp).  They already had a patio but it was low so it was raised and also a nice fire pit was added.

They also stole a little room from the living room to make the en suite bath larger (almost identical to my last house and something I had contemplated doing).

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 2

The episode a couple of seasons ago, where the husband lost his job, and they were moving into the former Dojo?   It's for sale, for $597,000 . They still have the flower mural in the great room/dining area.   I'm amazed at how much a 3 bed 2 bath less than 2,000 sq ft goes for in Bentonville.     It did have a guest bath, I remember they didn't really show that on the original episode.   

On tonight's new one, the wife wants the kitchen gutted, with what look like solid wood cabinets, lots of granite.  I'm hoping they donate the cabinets. They could save a lot by refacing the cabinets, expanding the island and swapping out the counter tops.   It's another house on the lake in Rogers.  The house does have a water draining issue in front of the garage, but the driveway slopes dramatically down hill from the street.  Why does anyone need a main bedroom closet big enough to have a giant island in it?  It's 19 ft. wide.   They seem to be taking the old kitchen cabinets out in sections, so hopefully they're donating them.   

$3800 for a custom stove!   I don't even want to know how much the main closet cost with all of those custom cabinets and the island.  

I thought that this was one of the better renovations.  I loved the deck with the porch swing (and what an amazing view!).  The closet seemed a bit excessive to me but that was what the homeowner wanted (even Jenny thought it was a bit too much) and I liked the way it was split between his and hers.  That mother of pearl looking tile in the shower was beautiful - I wouldn't want it personally but I can appreciate the look of it.  It is obvious that this couple wanted ostentatious.  I thought it was a shame that they tore out all of the old bookshelves in the library (and those did go into the dumpster) but perhaps they were installed in such a way as to make it impossible for them to come out otherwise.

Oh, and I really liked the coffee table/gaming table - what a great idea if you have to put up a puzzle in process or a game in process.

That blue stove was expensive but of gosh was it gorgeous!  I would never want to get it dirty though.

• Like 1

I thought the living room was good before the reno. I hate the puddled curtain look;  it just looks like the designer measured wrong and looks messy. Also hate how designers seem to love white couches; how do people function with a white fabric couch? It would be dirty in no time. Yeah, yeah, it’s “easy to clean” but who wants to clean their couch every week?

That closet was something. Loved the wallpapered ceiling; that was a nice touch. I appreciated that there was a his and hers aspect to that massive closet. 

The kitchen was also amazing, but of course, white fabric upholstery on the kitchen chairs and bench. A couple meals, esp with grandkids, and that furniture is dirty. I also wonder about all those open shelves, I call them dust collectors. Or grease collectors; it’s amazing how greasy decorative things get in a kitchen (I’m thinking of the trend to put stuff on top of the cabinets back in the day. When I packed up my parents stuff, all their Knick-knacks up there were greasy, and my mom was fastidious about cleaning.)

That porch swing was amazing.

• Like 1

Not a fan of open shelves either, for the same reasons.  I also question the white upholstery but I'm sure that the housekeeper that this woman undoubtedly employs can keep it clean...LOL!

I liked the transformation of the little cedar cabin.  I wasn't sure about painting the exterior but I think that it looked very nice at the reveal.  The interior looked huge compared to what it was initially - who knew white paint could make a space grow (plus taking that stove and bumping it out where it wasn't taking up any of the available space in the room was a huge asset).  I'm normally not a fan of kitschy style decor but the plate rack that was made looked great in that space and also fit in with the style of the decor.

Not sure I would trust my early teens boy with that much freedom but apparently this woman knows her child and feels comfortable with him having his own access in and out of the house (although I felt him having his own kitchenette was a bit much - I would have rather seen what they did with his bathroom which was barely shown...or I slept through it).  I did like the murphy bed/movie screen.

• Like 1

I'm watching an episode where they are renovating great grandparent's house for a young couple about to get married. Not sure why they even needed Dave and Jenny since father of the bride owns a construction company and seems to be doing all the work. Which explains the pile of money needed to do this renovation. Everything got changed around. It doesn't look like the same house at all so not sure why it needed to be a family house.

• Like 1

They really did change that house from top to bottom!  I couldn't believe they took a beautiful old farmhouse and turned it into a rather cookie-cutter house that you could find in any upscale community - but the bride loved it so I guess that was her choice.  I liked what they did the week prior with barn better.  I understand gutting and renovating the interior but was sad to see that they tore that beautiful front porch off.

Maybe the bride just wanted to be on television?  Her brother is a pretty big artist (and the whole family was so sweet) who was paying for all the renovations - perhaps after her health scare they wanted to let her have her moment in the spotlight.

• Like 3

I just started watching old episodes of this show. Is it my imagination or is Jenny constantly irritated with her husband? He doesn’t seem all that bad to me, at least he’s not a gigantic buffoon like the guy on “100 Day Dream Home.” Jenny just seems to have a perpetual sigh and eye roll ready for anything he says.

(edited)

I think the eyerolls and sighs are part of the show, and the characters they project.    I noticed Jenny seems tired a lot, so between the show filming, the kids and farm, I bet they're both sleep deprived. 

I was surprised at the size of the house the aunt and uncle bought, and the tremendous amount of renovations and the expense.   I guess that side of the family is pretty well off. I know the aunt wanted a gigantic closet, but that was so oversized.   With all of the built-ins and custom features that house was a major reno.   

I noticed on reruns that there are episodes where Chris is managing the project, and they're 'super busy'.   I'm guessing Rock the Block or other out of town episodes, like the Home Town Takeover shows in Colorado.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I think that is just part of their dynamic between the two of them - perhaps exaggerated a little for the show.  It is obvious that they have a great relationship - I just think he's a lot more laid back than she is.  They do have a full plate with their large family, their businesses and the farm - good thing that there is plenty of family around that seems to love helping out!

• Love 1

I remember a scene where Dave had built an outdoor fireplace or pizza oven out of stone. He stood in front of it and asked Jenny how she liked it. Jenny said something to the effect that she loved what she saw- and that meant she loved everything she saw, including Dave. It was sweet.

• Like 1
(edited)

New, "Marrs Family Farmhouse Renovation".     Moving things around, giving Jenny a closet that used to be the main bedroom.  Plus getting the daughter a horse, building a pole barn, tons of renos on the house, adding a huge main ensuite complete with big shower, standalone tub, and big sauna.      

I know this may sound picky, but stairs need a handrail, and they didn't put one in.    Thre kid's rooms are nice.  I can't believe the twin sons are 13.  Sylvie is getting so grown up.  I love the girls' bathroom.   Luke's new room is so fun.  I wonder how well the giant painting in the tack room will hold up with the temperature variations?   

Sad note, but happy for him, Joe Looney is retiring.   I hope he enjoys retirement.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I didn't understand the NO windows in the Owner bedroom. I couldn't do that, I need to see outside and by law there needs to be egress to the outside directly in my town in the building/remodeling codes.

On 3/6/2024 at 5:32 AM, sadtvjunkie said:

I didn't understand the NO windows in the Owner bedroom. I couldn't do that, I need to see outside and by law there needs to be egress to the outside directly in my town in the building/remodeling codes.

Yes,  I can't see how a windowless bdrm is legal either...maybe windows were adjacent enough for code?

On 3/7/2024 at 2:46 PM, sheetmoss said:

Yes,  I can't see how a windowless bdrm is legal either...maybe windows were adjacent enough for code?

Perhaps because there were ample windows in the closet and the office?  I like a dark bedroom so that wouldn't be an issue for me sleeping-wise (I live in an RV and during the summer my windows are covered in order to keep as much of the heat out as possible so I'm used to living in a black hole).

• Like 1

Until now, I was perplexed that the Marrs wanted a home in Italy. This makes more sense—it’s a job, in a remodeling-restrictive country (hello, YouTubers!), hundreds year old stone house, no language, no consistent schedule because they’ll go back and forth home/here, lots of obstacles, you know, like an HGTV show.

The only appropriate thing at this point is the little schlep Italian-style cheap truck. And Jenny shit all over that.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to seeing the end product although I call foul on them starting the sheep pen when there is so much to be done.  I think that was just done to show how much Jenny likes sheep!

I'm sure it will turn out to be lovely.  I like the concept of the homeowners expanding their business to protect against future disasters like the pandemic.

I think that her giving Dave a hard time about his truck is just part of the dynamic between the two of them.  He never seems to take it personally or gets offended - more he just seems to laugh about it.  He also said that he was going to ship that truck back to the United States so obviously this isn't a one-time thing for him to make odd purchases.  Honestly I think having one's own vehicle would beneficial if they are going back and forth.

• Like 1
(edited)

I don't understand how the Italy project is going to work.   The owners want to run the cheese business out of the cheese store, right next to the house that they want to do vacation rentals for?    That doesn't sound possible.  And they're obsessed with doing wine storage in holes in the walls, when they don't even have a kitchen, and they're months behind.   

What is the point of putting holes in the wall to hold wine bottles, and they're ten feet off the ground?  

At this point, I'm only watching some episodes to see what they're wasting time and money on. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I don't see any reason the cheese people can't have a rental. I gather they are near Florence. I know people who have rented homes in the countryside near Florence.

• Like 1

I was hijacked by two Emma Thompson films (thanks, TCM), but I thought I saw them in Montepulciano, one of my favorite places to stay, so you get the idea of why I’d watch these goofballs—Tuscany. We drove by that marble area—if it’s the one Michelangelo used—see, Jenny, lotsa marble. Ei.

The project is a goat rodeo, albeit not all their fault (long distance, Italy) with “friends” wanting to combine retail and hospitality and when will they be on site? Ratings and remodel hijinks. 

(edited)

I'm guessing just like the Welcome Inn series, we've been seeing a six episode advertisement for the Italian villa whole house rental.   

There's no way they can do bed and breakfast or individual room rental.   I wonder how they'll combine renting the house, and the cheese business, and the massive amount of maintenance the livestock, cheese and the property will take.   How much can that villa rent for, when the remodel was over 500,000 Euros, plus furnishings, and purchase price?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

Yep, story hijinks as well. Someone from the family will be minding and moving the cheese regularly. Imagine I’ve paid a lot to rent the house (how many bedrooms?) and Sr. Cheese is around early morning. Naw, the family moves in—change of plans!—because the Marrs made it so bellisimo. Whatever.

(edited)
On 11/15/2023 at 5:43 PM, Barlowe said:

The intro to the latest episode was weird and unnecessary.

Jenny asks the oldest son if he knows they’re renovating Malachi’s family’s house? And then asks if he remembers he met Malachi in kindergarten as if this is a childhood friend that the son had lost touch with. But then it’s said that this is a child that regularly hangs out with their children and during the tour it’s mentioned that Jenny and Dave have dropped Malachi off at the house before.

I just don’t get why they had to stage the intro that way.

I just saw this episode and I'm confused why the dad's year-long military deployment necessitated the parents moving in and demoting the two boy children to a smaller room across the house (former dining room) that didn't have a closet. Not to mention an entire wall of basketball hoops. 

The bunk-beds were weirdly positioned so the younger boy with the smaller bed is definitely going to have a hard time getting in and out of that bed every day. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 1
(edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 9:56 PM, buttersister said:

Yep, story hijinks as well. Someone from the family will be minding and moving the cheese regularly. Imagine I’ve paid a lot to rent the house (how many bedrooms?) and Sr. Cheese is around early morning. Naw, the family moves in—change of plans!—because the Marrs made it so bellisimo. Whatever.

I can't imagine renting a 3 bedroom house for the price they want for it.   Any excursions are by various vendor, so extra (at least that's the usual way they do that), and all you get to do at the house is stare at the sheep, and see the cheese making, with samples, and probably an offer to ship some home at a hefty price.  I can't believe how expensive the initial house and land purchase was, plus 500,000 Euros reno, plus building the cheese processing and aging building.   

So, the homeowner finally admitted they have no money for furnishings, so Jenny goes antique shopping?   And Dave is going to build the table, and turn a heavy door into a headboard.  I'm getting splinters just looking at the rough wood on the headboard.    They can't do the pantry until later, because of budget.    This never occured to anyone months ago?   Why did they have to get custom everything?  Hand made and hand painted tiles?   The kitchen with custom everything must have cost a bundle, so get semi-custom, and save a lot.   So, the renters will actually use a kitchen that size?  I doubt it.  Custom wall paintings all over, they could have sourced second-hand store paintings a lot cheaper, or street market paintings a ton cheaper, and they fit the house look.  

This is so similar to their Welcome Inn project, 3 bedrooms, whole house rental only.    Totally blew through the budget. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
(edited)

I recorded it so I could ff through the stupid stuff and ads.

WTAF was that wine window? Yes, I ve seen them in Florence. With a ton of foot traffic and full-time wine pourers. Here? A joke. With a shaky ladder someone uses one-handed while holding a glass of wine. Idiots.

$500 for a headboard? LOL! Goofballs.

Budget management was totally unprofessional, but keeping with these two.

What I learned? Jenny is a pill. You may already have known that.

Edited by buttersister
Autocorrect 🤬
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Why did they have to get custom everything? 

I asked the same thing but I did notice in the beginning talking head segment, Jenny mentioned that the owner (Rebecca?) wanted high end finishes everywhere so that may have been more a directive than a choice by Jenny.  But that made me ask why spend for high end finishes in a rental house?  I'm not suggesting you go cheap but there is a happy medium.  If (when) something gets broken, it will be difficult and expensive to replace custom made fixtures.

Unless I missed it, they never said what was in the other building right next door which looked to be on the same property.  My thought is that is the owner's house (or at least their second house if they live in Florence most of the time) and they'll be around to deal with the cheese and the sheep occasionally.  I do think the entrance to the cheese cellar was on the outside of the house and that there was no access from inside the house, so the owners would not have to go in and out of the house.

I actually googled it after the finale.  If looks like you can rent the whole house for about 4,000 euros for 5 days.  If you had 6 people split that, its about 670 euros per person.  A hotel at 150 euros/night would be 750 for 5 days.  Granted, you could have two people in the hotel room for 750 but the house would give you access to a kitchen and more space.  I actually thought it would be listed for more than that.  If they rented it every week, it would take them 2.5 years to recoup their renovation budget so they would still need to recoup the purchase price.  Unless that cheese makes them a lot of  money, it will be quite some time before they see any profit.  Plus, the website says its only available for rent between May and October.  I have no idea what they are doing with the property the rest of the year.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but there must be some rationale for it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I was very confused about the layout of the farm.     It looked like the cheese building was removed from the main house, and totally separate.  I wondered about the second big building, but it wasn't mentioned at all.  Maybe caretaker's cottage?  

LOL, just like most HGTV shows, scripted, producer-driven and not as the “story” is presented. The trade is seeing locations and designs. Especially the non-cookie-cutter ones. Few, non-cookie-cutter ones.

Adding high-end, artisan-made materials was a choice—instigated or approved by the clients. The side story was Dave building stuff and Jenny’s “deal” shopping. Like the expensive headboard? Or maybe that was her choice—to not buy an affordable headboard but an expensive door and make it a TV project. Still think she’s a pill. ACK, THESE NAPKINS! The editors are over her.

• Like 1

From what I've gathered watching, I think the owners plan to use it as an event space as well. They talked about cheese and wine tastings, and that outdoor dining area kinda looked like it could also be used by a small wedding party. I can definitely see it as like a destination wedding space, with the wedding party staying at the house, and the kitchen was big enough for a small catering team. So there could be other uses that help them recoup their costs sooner. 

• Like 1