Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: The Maze

Katie ignores Greg’s warning and takes Anna-Kat through a terrifying zombie-themed maze at the annual Halloween carnival. Once inside, Katie quickly regrets her decision and sends Anna-Kat to find help. Meanwhile, Greg has entered a pumpkin carving contest and is ready to go head-to-head against the previous year’s winners.

From the episode description I was not particularly excited for this episode, but they actually came through. The scenes in the maze were surprisingly hilarious.

The actress playing Maria (Chloe Brown Mueller's assistant) is such a good actress, I notice she does these really subtle small movements with her face to convey different emotions and it was interesting to see her in a new light in this one.

• Love 9

This episode was better than I expected it to be.  I loved the maze, it was very well done and reminded me a little of some I've been in over the years, but better.  That combined with Katie's natural volatility created some very funny moments. That means a lot since this is the one of the only "family comedies" I have left * since "The Middle" and "The Kids are Alright" are sadly no longer with us.  

* Edited to read "one of the only family comedies I have left" because I forgot about "Young Sheldon".

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 7

I didn't get why Taylor was being so hostile and defensive towards her mother. I mean, I know she's a typical teen but it seemed like something else was going on here. I kept expecting some kind of reveal, like maybe she and Trip were planning on having sex that night or something. It just seemed like she was extra hostile for no particular reason.

Oliver screams like a girl! I think we've heard him scream like that before but it's still hysterical.

Where has Cooper been this season? He's one of the show's best characters, after Trip.

• Love 16
53 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't get why Taylor was being so hostile and defensive towards her mother. I mean, I know she's a typical teen but it seemed like something else was going on here. I kept expecting some kind of reveal, like maybe she and Trip were planning on having sex that night or something. It just seemed like she was extra hostile for no particular reason.

Yeah, you think that was what they were going for since that has been in the background not only the last few episodes, but the end of last season. Instead it's: "Well, she is a typical teen, she over reacts to everything." Yes, and trust me as a high school teacher I've seen over reactions where you want to go: "Seriously, where do you think that was going to get you?" Least they replied: "I thought I get what I wanted." Here it was like Taylor is pissed off, down right annoyed and well... you get nothing, just: "We have to use the kids for some reason, I mean we got Cooper, so Oliver is set? What about Taylor? Um... let's just have her angry for some reason, we'll figure out a reason later why." 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Oliver screams like a girl! I think we've heard him scream like that before but it's still hysterical.

Where has Cooper been this season? He's one of the show's best characters, after Trip.

3 hours ago, readster said:

Yeah, you think that was what they were going for since that has been in the background not only the last few episodes, but the end of last season. Instead it's: "Well, she is a typical teen, she over reacts to everything." Yes, and trust me as a high school teacher I've seen over reactions where you want to go: "Seriously, where do you think that was going to get you?" Least they replied: "I thought I get what I wanted." Here it was like Taylor is pissed off, down right annoyed and well... you get nothing, just: "We have to use the kids for some reason, I mean we got Cooper, so Oliver is set? What about Taylor? Um... let's just have her angry for some reason, we'll figure out a reason later why." 

Katy has a history of being extremely controlling and intrusive (remember when she was reading Taylor's text messages and refused to stop even after Taylor asked her to stop?) so I get where Taylor is coming from. She is finally 18, she wants to be left alone.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, chitowngirl said:

Taylor’s in that awkward part where she is 18, so legally an adult, but still in High School.

In a high school that oddly also has an elementary school in it. I’ll never understand how that exists that all 3 kids are in the same school. 
They seemed to have written the character of Taylor as a loud (I am convinced she is incapable of talking without shouting), dim witted, combative teenager. I haven’t seen her mature one bit on this show. 
I have 2 teen girls and if they were anything like Taylor I’d be in therapy. 

Edited by OpalNightstream
  • Love 1

I really liked this episode. Oliver is usually unbearable so its nice when they humanize him a bit. Loved him agreeing to go through the maze..."let's pretend to scream and maybe cry and pee a little" lol. 

Trip was pretty cool and supportive under pressure when Taylor needed him. I wish they would smarten her up a little, though the moment with Katie at the end was sweet.

I will forever adore Greg. He just wanted a fun pumpkin carving competition. His look when the principal unrolled all his knives was hilarious.

• Love 3

If Taylor truly believed it was ok to cut off another driver because "my boyfriend needs ginger ale," then she is really the most clueless and selfish person on the planet.

She was REALLY lucky it was only Doris she cut off.

• Love 2
On 11/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, SnarkySheep said:

If Taylor truly believed it was ok to cut off another driver because "my boyfriend needs ginger ale," then she is really the most clueless and selfish person on the planet.

She was REALLY lucky it was only Doris she cut off.

Sadly that kind of stuff is not that uncommon anymore, especially here in CT.  Even worse was the narcissistic self-absorbed woman that honked me nastily when there was road construction and we were being narrowed down to one lane.  Everyone was politely observing the unwritten rules of the road in which the first person in one lane merges, then the first person in the other lane merges, etc.  Of course, when I got there she didn't like it that I was signaling and angling to merge in front of her, because after all she is the princess of the road and no one for any reason no matter how obvious and justified can merge in front of her, so she sped up and honked at me loudly as I did.  The nerve of her!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2