Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Callahan: Love Is All Around

• Start Topic

JLH did the same thing on The Client List.  It was a nice little fluff show that I enjoyed, until her r/l boyfriend became front and center, and he really turned me off.

I hope she does well here though.

I didn't watch The Client List, but just googled about her fiancee debacle. Um, yeah....again.  Then I remembered why I never really took to JLH....she's always been the type to need her man by her side. I'm hoping she doesn't try to pull crap on CM (since she has the penchant for threatening to quit when her boyfriend demands weren't met). Although this isn't "her show", she is a big enough name and CBS adores her. 

I guess you can all see I am not a "Love" Hewitt fan, lol. 

• Love 3

As far back as I can remember, she's been unlucky in 'love'... heh, and I second the 'neediness' thing being a turnoff. You're right too, about CBS wetting themselves over her. Still, I do think she has chops, and she certainly has enough experience to know how the game is played. Anyone know who her current beau is? Maybe we'll get a twofer! ;)

Here's the spot to gab about the newest member of our BAU. Will she be able to hold her own within our team? What will her special focus be, and most importantly, will she have awesome hair?

Jennifer Love has been known to get involved with her male co stars and she us known to be very needy. I think nore than once, they had broken up with her because of her neediness. I used to love her on "Party of Five" but when she got involved with Carson Daily and then a few after and became so public about the relationships and break ups, I just didn't care much for her. Most men I know love her for her boobs and not because of her acting skills.

i think she is good in a victimy type of role and in romantic type of movies but I cannot see her as a tough FBI agent. I just don't think she has that in her.

• Love 1

I guess I'm the exception (sort of- I mean, I also dig her boobs...she's not “Jennifer Love Huge Tits” for nothing :p) in that I like her as an actress, so I see this as the potential for “Prentiss Pt. 2”, where a great actress props up shoddy writing. I know there's the fear that since Erica Messer didn't want her they won't develop her, but since this is Hewitt, one of the biggest stars in television, I can't see that happening since I doubt Hewitt would sign on if she had doubts about how the writers/producers would handle her.

That said, I do want her to “grow” into the role gradually and not become “the star” right away. Someone mentioned she's great at being vulnerable and I think we ought to see that in full force in the beginning, as she learns just how tough life in the BAU really is. If she starts “knowing all the answers” I'll be turned off right away.

• Love 2

Harry said he was skeptical too until he met her. He's now convinced she'll be awesome. I'm really excited to see how she does. 

*Still would've preferred SMG, tho.

• Love 1

I am willing to give the actress and her character a chance. A lot of people keep saying she isn't a good fit for the show.

Well as far as I am concerned that is all just speculation based on what they know about her as an actress.

We really won't know if she is a good fit or not until we actually see her in the role of Kate Callahan.

And we also need to give her a chance to fit in.Even if she doesn't click right away doesn't mean she isn't right for the show.

Many people either don't know or seem to have forgotten that Emily Prentiss wasn't exactly embraced by the fandom when she first came on board. I wasn't one of them. Even though I did miss Elle I was ok with Prentiss being there. But then when she outed herself as an FBI agent in order to protect Reid, thus earning herself a beating from that pompous ass Cyrus, I fell head over heels in love with the character of Emily Prentiss.

It's a given that they've got to do better by this new character than they did by the Alex Blake character,however they better make damn sure they don't do it at the expense of some of the long time character,because that'll most certainly cause a ton of resentment for both character and actress herself. 

In other words EM and these writers are going to have to do a bit of a balancing act where this new character is concerned.And I will admit to having great misgivings as to whether or not they can pull it off.

• Love 2
(edited)

Harry said he was skeptical too until he met her. He's now convinced she'll be awesome. I'm really excited to see how she does. 

*Still would've preferred SMG, tho.

Willowy do you know whether it was the actress who approached them about being on the show or the other way around.

Edited by missmycat
(edited)
.she's not “Jennifer Love Huge Tits” for nothing

She's actually called that? How dopey, vaguely sexist and gross...IMO, obviously!  

I've always thought that JLH has a highly likable, vivacious onscreen presence, so I'm hopeful she'll come across as less flat and yawn-inducing than many of the show's other female characters have been. I just hope the writers take a few minutes to give her a few salient personality traits and something resembling a specialized niche/area of expertise. Is that too much to ask?! (Yeah, sadly, it very well might be, but hope springs eternal!)  

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 4

I completely agree, MMC.  The blend between the character and the actor is unique with each role, so I see forming a judgment before we've 'met' Kate Callaghan as a waste of energy.  Even trying to extrapolate from an actor's previous roles is an unreliable exercise, as many grow, in both skill and maturity, with time and experience. 

However, I do share others' concerns about whether this writing team is up to the job.  Even the best actress can't do something with nothing, which is pretty much what they gave JT.  I do think she bore some of the blame, because she didn't exactly bring energy to the role, but she may, herself, have been bored by what they gave her.

Good things:  Bringing in a 'name' probably means that CBS is anticipating more than just one additional season.  And I suspect JLH will give it her best, so we'll at least have someone to love or hate, rather than someone who makes us yawn.  If I have to accommodate to a new character, then I'd just like to care about her, one way or the other.

My hope: That, as a new, same generation, member of the team, she forms a unique relationship with the mature Reid, not flavored by the sense of him being the anomaly that he was when he first joined.  I hope it takes a little while for her to realize his genius, and that she just relates to him as a person.  I hope that she takes over the 'badass' role from JJ.  Or that she's a non-badass who bonds with Reid in a way that reminds JJ that she and he used to be friends. And I really, really hope that she's appalled by the exchanges between Morgan and Garcia, and calls one or both of them out on it. 

• Love 2

, I agree on several levels with most everything in your post, although I do not see her as coming in being all badass, I do like your second take on that scenario, very much!

Secondly, I don't think she is the one to call Morgan and Garcia on the way they speak to one another. That is none of her business. These people have been relating to one another this way for a decade, "inappropriate", or not, that's their vibe and perfectly appropriate, even requisite, as far as they are concerned. She has no business, especially as a newbie, coming in and judging them. 

• Love 2

Secondly, I don't think she is the one to call Morgan and Garcia on the way they speak to one another. That is none of her business. These people have been relating to one another this way for a decade, "inappropriate", or not, that's their vibe and perfectly appropriate, even requisite, as far as they are concerned. She has no business, especially as a newbie, coming in and judging them. 

Willowy,

I think we agree on a lot of things, but definitely not this.  What is said publicly in the workplace affects everyone in hearing range.  That means that everyone is responsible for the quality of their language, and the nature of their exchanges.  If I had been riding in a vehicle with Morgan all this time and been forced to listen to it over speaker phone, he would have long since had an earful from me.  Not acceptable workplace behavior.  And not acceptable to do it in front of those who don't want to hear it.  Time for Morgan and Garcia to grow up.

• Love 3

I hear you and in most cases I would agree. Not with them, though. I feel that at this point it would seem weird for them to suddenly stop, and their halting, uncomfortable, trying-not-to-flirt speech would be even more uncomfortable for everyone. Also don't think it has to do with them growing up, or not. To me, it's an established, harmless repartee, and part of who they are to each other. 

• Love 2

She's actually called that? How dopey, vaguely sexist and gross...IMO, obviously!  

Yeah...I didn't make it up. It's even in the Urban Dictionary.

I hear you and in most cases I would agree. Not with them, though. I feel that at this point it would seem weird for them to suddenly stop, and their halting, uncomfortable, trying-not-to-flirt speech would be even more uncomfortable for everyone. Also don't think it has to do with them growing up, or not. To me, it's an established, harmless repartee, and part of who they are to each other.

Exactly...and I don't even think it's that bad anymore. I don't recall a scene in recent years where Morgan has done anything except refer to Garcia as "babygirl"...a lot of the flirtatious banter- which seemed to occur when no one else was around- happened in S2 and S3...I hardly hear it now.

• Love 1

Mmm I hope they don't go as she's gonna be the new Morgan's "Babygurl" although he has a girlfriend in the show he still flirts with Garcia, nothing can stop him to flirt with Kate.

Maybe we could be surprised and be paired with Reid? 

I wouldn't mind her paired with Reid, since it would actually give him more time onscreen. lol. Even if I don't care for JLH much, if the character is given the chance to work with Reid I'm all for it. 

Others have asked how one knows JLH won't be "good" in the role. I am only basing my opinion on her other acting gigs which didn't impress me. If she blinks and gives the ratty/mousy faced stares I am used to from her, I won't be able to buy her in character. Although I am willing to give her a chance. I am just not convinced yet. 

• Love 2

I wouldn't mind her paired with Reid, since it would actually give him more time onscreen. lol. Even if I don't care for JLH much, if the character is given the chance to work with Reid I'm all for it. 

Yiss. ;)

This is totally 100% unfair, but I'm still holding a grudge against JLH because of Ghost Whisperer kicking JoA off the air.  And I am sure the cast is nowhere near as petty as me, but she basically benefitted from Joe Mantegna losing that job.  So... awkward.  I'll give the character a chance.  

It's nice that they have given her a past in the FBI that is somewhat defined already.  And does that mean undercover work for cases this year?  I wonder if they even tried for Mary Page Keller/"Katie Cole."  And if the name similarity is on purpose?

• Love 3

I think that JLH has a very endearing personality when she meets people. She seems very upbeat and I'm hoping she will bring some good energy to the show. She's a bubbly enough person that I think she and Erica probably hit it off well and I think her exuberance might encourage the writers to give her more attention. I just sort of got the impression that the writers and Erica were never very enamored with Jeanne and that there may have been some subconscious resentment toward her for taking Paget's place and that they never really felt all that inclined to write for her. It sounds like it was starting out that way with Jennifer, but that she made a good impression.

Now, I just hope they don't overdo it and have the show become all about her. I remember on Stargate: SG1 when Ben Browder joined the cast. They made the show almost all about his character and really crammed him down our throats. Now, I like the actor and I remembered him fondly from Farscape, but he was honestly my least favorite of all of the cast on Farscape and his character on SG1 seemed quite similar in many ways.

As for Garcia and Morgan's behavior, while it is between them and other workplaces might allow their banter to go on, in a federal LEO position, there is no way they would be allowed to carry on like that. If it made other employees feel uncomfortable-- which I'm certain it would-- then Hotch would be told to put a stop to it. It's one thing if they bantered only in front of the team, but when it is done in front of police and other people then it gets to be a problem. They have toned it down a bit, but it was very bad for awhile. It's just not the sort of thing the FBI would tolerate. You'd be surprised at how petty some of the people in a federal office can be and the stuff over which they get their knickers in a wad. 

I'm wondering what sort of character Katie will be. Obviously she'll have to be a good actress and be tough enough to have handled undercover work. Although undercover work does not always mean someone is a great profiler. While I do like JLH's bubbly personality, I think as a character that might be annoying. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Love 2

If you doubt JLH's acting ability go watch her episode of Law & Oder: SVU, "Behave" [season 12; episode 3]. Fantastic performance. Many people who doubted Jennifer's acting were completely turned around & had a greater respect for her after this episode. Even the producers of SVU weren't too sure but Jennifer just needed and proved she deserved the chance. Producers were also blown away. 

A review of that episode. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I dearly hope that they handle the introduction of Kate Callahan better than they did the introduction of Alex Blake.

I've always believed it was a huge mistake the way Blake was introduced. We didn't get to see her struggling to try and fit in.The way we saw Prentiss trying to fit in and than later Rossi.

To me Blake's introduction showed that EM and her writers were either too lazy or lacked the creativity to give her a proper introduction.I suspect it was probably a combination of both. That and the fact Erica Messer was never really invested in the character in the first place.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 4

It is not about whether JLH can act or not but can writers do a good job in writing her.

JT is a good actress. The writers just didn't know how to utilize her. But then again, it also has to do with the actress and how she approaches the scenes. Sarah Shahi talked about Amy Acker recently and why she loves her and enjoys watching her. She said she loves how Amy goes against or does the opposite of what the script says.

• Love 2

I think with Blake, someone (not sure if it was JT or Erica or whoever) wanted to make the character completely different from any other previous female agent. They succeeded, but not in a good way. I liked that she was a calming presence, but she often came off as bland and boring. And I do blame all of that on the writers.

We don't know what they're going to do with JLH's character, but unless they give us some insight into her character and qualifications early one, they'll run the risk of backlash against her. With Prentiss we learned right away that her mother was a diplomat and she'd been in the agency for 10 years. Then in the second episode, her first full episode, we learned that she was fluent in Arabic and had lived in several middle eastern countries. By her 3rd episode we learned that she resented her mother's way of doing business. "I hate politics." She was by no means more prevalent in these episodes than any other character, but we still learned about her past, her capabilities on the job and something about her character and personality as well. We didn't get that with Blake. However, with the current writers, I don't feel we get good characterization of any of the team anymore.

• Love 2

Never watched an episode of this show. When I heard JLH would be joining I started watching repeats on A&E and ION Television. Good show. So the producers have JLH to thank for me even checking out this show. 

• Love 1

I just hope that the crew and CBS don't hype her too much and turn some fans off. Let her acting speak for itself. I just hope the writers are up for it.

So, what do we know about the character so far? She's in her mid 30s (or at least the actress is), she did undercover work...

I wonder if she will usurp JJ's place as Erica's favorite. Erica may find she relates to JLH more because

1. She's bubbly and very positive

2. She's a mother

3. She's a brunette.

I do hope they keep her intro and story more like they did with Paget's.

Looks like JLH sits next to Shemar at the table reads btw.

Now, I just hope they don't overdo it and have the show become all about her.

I'm always nervous when showrunners hire a new/replacement actor who is well established and not just a newbie.  Oftentimes, when a network or show executive is sooooo in love with an actor (actor's reputation) they will offer that actor the sun and moon in their contract in order to seal the deal.

That's usually in the form of contract guarantees in addition to money.  How does the new actor appear in the credits--alphabetically as one of the regular cast or does he/she get the "and ..." at the end...or "featuring..." or some such special mention. 

Also, a lot of the big names won't agree to sign on unless they are guaranteed to be in some agreed percentage of scenes, or guaranteed that a certain number of episodes will feature their character.  These guarantees are part of why Lawrence Fishburne's rookie CSI character quickly became "Super Ray".

I am hoping that "Criminal Minds" will bring JLH into the fold without so many ridiculous contract guarantees, but JLH is somewhat famous for making demands on her writers/producers.  Time will tell. 

• Love 1

I like what I can see of Kate's hair so far. And LOL. The way JJ is tipping her head reminds me of my dog when I make weird sounds. I'll make a strange sound at him and he'll cock his head to the side and look at me.

• Love 3

I don't think it'll be any kind of special secret that this will become Jennifer Love Hewitt's show, for better or for worse. Let's be honest with ourselves, Hewitt's the biggest name the show has ever had- even bigger than, I'd say, Mandy Patinkin in his day- so I'm prepared for the time she'll take over. I only hope that it becomes gradual and it's not at the expense of other characters, but I'd like to think that since Hewitt knows a thing or two about getting a hit on TV, she already knows not to force herself right away.

Oh, and if Hewitt can make Reid the breakout star he deserves to be, then all the better. :)

• Love 1

Daniel, I don't understand your logic. How could JLH's "takeover" of the show not be at the expense of at least some of the other characters? How can her takeover of an ensemble show help break another character big? The only character she will be able to break will be her own, IMO.

• Love 4

Daniel, I don't understand your logic. How could JLH's "takeover" of the show not be at the expense of at least some of the other characters? How can her takeover of an ensemble show help break another character big? The only character she will be able to break will be her own, IMO.

Perhaps I should qualify it and say that I hope she doesn't replace anyone of prominence this season- next year or the year after that is when I can accept her gradually taking over from some of the other characters, who I think at this stage might be better off going on the outs (especially David Rossi- it's no longer believable that he'd be a fit in the field). As for Reid, if he gets paired with Callahan, his star would benefit as Callahan's screen time increases (since likely his would too).

• Love 1

I'm not wanting any imbalance either, but I do hope if she's paired with Reid that it opens him up to exploring himself more, and that we get to see that. I'm for anything that shows more Reid, regardless. 

• Love 2

I agree that Rossi ought to have segue to another role, he is too old to be in the field, but his expertise could be used on a daily basis. I simply do not see the hewitt character coming in to prop up Reid, or anyone else. JLH will have negotiated to be there for herself, nothing else. The Reid character, as TPTB have demonstrated over the years, fluctuates between being a touchstone (seasons 1-4) to being dispensable and possibly non-essential. They threw a bone to fans this season end by injuring him while he was being manly and in charge, but I jest betcha when things start up again, it will be Reid-neutral. No scar. No story here.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'd have to see it onscreen first, but the one character I'd see Hewitt interacting with the best would be Reid, because they're both geeks with that lovable awkwardness. I just can't see her relating too much to the other characters.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 3

Well, maybe if JLH really likes Matthew she might put in a good word for him and mention him in interviews as someone cool. That might at least give him a little more notice and help boost his career for later.

(edited)

It will be interesting to see how Jennifer gels with the rest of the cast. This cast isn't known for holding grudges on new people. They embraced Rachel like crazy, even considering how she was brought in to the show and who she replaced. So if the cast doesn't bond well with Jennifer, I chalk it up to more personal differences than anything. 

I haven't been able to get a good vibe on this yet (how Jennifer is being blended into the cast), but they have only been back on the job one week. But without anything to support it at the moment, I would genuinely be surprised if Jennifer pulls Matthew along into her star orbit and gives him much, if any, public notice. 

I'd have to see it onscreen first, but the one character I'd see Hewitt interacting with the best would be Reid, because they're both geeks with that lovable awkwardness. I just can't see her relating too much to the other characters.

It's hard to know what Kate is going to be like, because we have nothing to go on yet. But if she was a star undercover agent, I would be surprised to see her character being a lovably awkward geek. Those kind of agents tend to be more hard charging, like Elle, Emily or new JJ. Of course, nobody ever would have thought that Elle would bond so well with Reid, and they are a twosome I love so very much. But Elle was definitely not like Reid; she just appreciated him for the man he was. So if Kate and Reid develop an Elle/Reid like friendship, that would make me happy. 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well, maybe if JLH really likes Matthew she might put in a good word for him and mention him in interviews as someone cool. That might at least give him a little more notice and help boost his career for later.

Zannej, how pathetic would it be if MGG goes from being a 10-year costar on a show to someone who has to suck up to a new "star" to get any attention? 

Edited by normasm
  • Love 4

Thankful for this site, because it gives me great diversion when I have too much work to do to allow me to write FF.  So, today, I was thinking about the introduction of characters, and how that happens when a show is new, and how it changes----or seems to, anyway---when a show is established and only the character is new. 

At the beginning of any show, the characters seem to be drawn in broad strokes, often with dialogue that provides exposition, either from the character himself or from another character talking about him.  Something along the lines of Reid's (paraphrasing)  "I read 20,000 words a minute, I have 3 PhDs....yes, I am a genius."  He told us.  Same as they told us he was 24, same as JJ explained her role as the media liaison, etc.  We don't mind it, because it helps us to figure them all out.

Later on, if they're successful at getting us to invest in the characters, we look for the subtleties, those things that let us get to know these people just a little bit better, just a little more deeply.  An insight into their past, or a hope, or a desire.  We no longer want the broad strokes, because they wouldn't ring true.  Season 6 isn't the time to learn that Morgan has experience with explosives---that's something that was rightly told at the beginning.  But it's okay to find out that he likes to rehab properties, because that's something that might not have come up before.

With Blake, they seemed to bypass the broad strokes altogether, and go right for the subtleties.  All we knew was that she was a linguist, and that she had some history with Strauss and the 'Amerithrax" case.  And then they let a whole season go by without giving substance to any of that. And then, not a bit more substance through the next season, until the final moments of the final episode.  I couldn't invest, because neither she, nor they, had told me who she was.  Any nuance was lost on me, because it took place against an essentially blank canvas.

So I'm actually hoping that they will give this new character a history.  She doesn't need to be the focus of an episode for them to provide some exposition,but it's okay if she is.  Just tell me who she is, and make me care, one way or another.  She is said to be someone with an undercover history, but I hope they don't make her, or her history, too secretive.  They need to put it out there enough for her to seem real, and worthy of our investment. 

My comments are not about the actress, nor specific to the character, but about the process.  I hope they handle it well.  The integration of Emily Prentiss is evidence that it can happen. 

And, just a word of encouragement not to become riled about the character's prominence, or that of JLH, before any of it has happened.  It wouldn't do her, or us, any good to start the season feeling adversarial.  (There's plenty of time during the season for that!--kidding!)

• Love 4

NICE post, JMO!

I hope they make her a little, for want of a better word, sneaky. If undercover is her bag, out of necessity she would have to be proficiently convincing in an endless array of professions and lifestyles (a la The Pretender). She would also have to be adept at keeping secrets, sharing misinformation, and acting natural while doing all of this. Could make for some interesting team dynamics and a kind of storytelling that we haven't really seen within the BAU.

How nice would it be if Reid were the only one to see through her, to be the one she could never fool. :)

• Love 3

Willowy wrote:

I hope they make her a little, for want of a better word, sneaky. If undercover is her bag, out of necessity she would have to be proficiently convincing in an endless array of professions and lifestyles (a la The Pretender). She would also have to be adept at keeping secrets, sharing misinformation, and acting natural while doing all of this. Could make for some interesting team dynamics and a kind of storytelling that we haven't really seen within the BAU.

How nice would it be if Reid were the only one to see through her, to be the one she could never fool. :)

I could definitely buy into that.  And, if Reid were the one not fooled (although I don't think anyone can fool Hotch), it would make for an interesting interplay between him and the others, on the one hand, and he and Kate on the other.  Great thought---now just see if you can instill it into the right mind!

• Love 3

Guys, if he knew something about a newbie that smelled off to him,he would go immediately to Hotch, maybe to the whole team. He would not hold a newbie's secret out against the whole team. Unless they make NewReid. God, please do not allow this.

• Love 3

Ha, no, of course he'd share it, just thinking it would be cool if he were always the one to call her on her bs. There could be a whole thing of her going "Damnit, Reid!" when he'd figure her out, every time. :)

• Love 4