Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Notorious AF

Julia’s dirty laundry is aired for the world to see when a video goes viral and she is forced to team up with Isaac to combat the situation. As Roxy forms a bond with 11-year old Izzy (guest star Bryce Lorenzo), who has some serious gymnastics potential, Edie meets with Dr. Bechley regarding his case. Meanwhile, just as the relationship between the sisters begins to grow stronger, a shocking new witness comes forward to testify in the trial in the all-new “Notorious AF” episode of ALMOST FAMILY airing Wednesday, Oct. 16 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (AFM-103) (TV-14 D, L, S)

I binge-watched the original Australian version of this a weekend or so back....the American version is sticking unbelievably close to the original. So far the only real difference is Roxy is a gymnast instead of the star of a children's tv show.

ETA: Since they're sticky so close to the original plot I wonder if they'll use the twist at the end of the Australian version.....

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2

Since they kept everything else pretty much the same I'm not sure why they decided to change that one thing. Especially when they don't seem to know anything about being an Olympic gymnast. Being in the TV business they probably know more about former child stars or they can just ask the actress about it since she was one. 

They could've kept everything the same with her parents being her managers and living off her money and getting her embarrassing acting gigs to keep her relevant. I actually thought it was brilliant when I saw the promos for this show that they cast a former child star to play a former child star. Did they think it was too real? Did Emily not want to play it? 

• Love 4
On 10/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, NeenerNeener said:

binge-watched the original Australian version of this a weekend or so back....the American version is sticking unbelievably close to the original. So far the only real difference is Roxy is a gymnast instead of the star of a children's tv show.

To me the dad not being dead is a huge change and one I don’t like.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I binge-watched the original Australian version of this a weekend or so back....the American version is sticking unbelievably close to the original. So far the only real difference is Roxy is a gymnast instead of the star of a children's tv show.

ETA: Since they're sticky so close to the original plot I wonder if they'll use the twist at the end of the Australian version.....

I binged the Australian version and didn't like the ending. I hope the American version changes it. 

I just don't get what Julian's end game is to using his own sperm. Unless he didn't have any other sperm to use??

54 minutes ago, greekmom said:

just don't get what Julian's end game is to using his own sperm. Unless he didn't have any other sperm to use??

There are multiple cases of this happening on real life and none of the doctors have provided any compelling defense. I think one said it was accidental and another that he only did it when a donor didn’t show up which makes no sense so who knows what his motivations are going to be.

• Useful 1

I think Edie's case kind of muddles things too, since he could have legitimately been an anonymous sperm donor.  I tend to want to set that situation aside and see if he lied on the profile or switched out samples or if he just donated sperm in his own clinic and used it when requested as well as the other actual fraud situations.  I, too, want to know what was really going on in Dr. B's mind.

ETA: I'm glad that Leon is alive in this version.  There is a chance that these questions might be answered.  In the Aussie version he was basically off the board immediately.  There was no real opportunity for any kind of questioning.

Edited by ouinason
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ouinason said:

version.  There is a chance that these questions might be answered.

Other than being a sociopath I don’t find any explanation would be adequate. Even though we didn’t get a deathbed confession he was not shocked by it so it was done with intention and there is no legit reason for a society to betray his patients on such  basic level. 
At least when Law and Order ripped one of these stories off in the 90s everyone was aghast.

I was ready to write this show off, but somehow I keep liking the episodes *just* enough to make me keep watching.

They've toned down Roxy a lot and she's more bearable. Yeah, she has her faults still but she's not quite as obnoxious and I can't imagine what it's like to miss out on a real childhood (both in terms of social interaction and healthy mental growth) so I give a lot of her leeway on things. Especially because her parents do seem awful. I really thought the mom would have a change of heart but she ruined any sort of goodwill at the end going to volunteer to testify.

I think I would like this show a lot more if it wasn't hundreds of Bechly Babies, and limited to like, 10 or something. There would be enough family dynamics and wacky interactions and relationship struggles if there were just 10 people who were all suddenly siblings. Because I weirdly liked Julia and Sam having to face head on that they had hooked up, but I felt like the show didn't want to think beyond that with the idea that if there were 100 people it was possible several of them had hooked up. Not to mention the whole "rises to the level of sexual assault" thing. Keeping it smaller would have helped remove some of the overall ickiness from the premise.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Grammaeryn said:

Did they explain who leaked the information to the reporter in the first place? I’m guessing hottie doctor and hoping it wasn’t the dad to set up a remorse defense.

I have been waiting for them to address this. They keep showing the scene with the reporter in the previouslies, but maybe that's just a way to summarize the show. Someone else clearly knew what he was doing and talked, that has to be an interesting story.

1 hour ago, shantown said:

I think I would like this show a lot more if it wasn't hundreds of Bechly Babies, and limited to like, 10 or something. There would be enough family dynamics and wacky interactions and relationship struggles if there were just 10 people who were all suddenly siblings.

Yeah, I think I would too. It seems a bit weird right now, because Edie, Roxy, and Julia keep talking about being sisters, but they are not more related than anyone else. Why are we only seeing them bond and no one else?

• Love 5