Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: I Was Just Wondering What Makes Dames Like You So Deadly

• Start Topic

As Beth Ann plots to remove April from Rob's life for good, a surprising confrontation reveals a secret that will shock Beth Ann to her core. Meanwhile, Naomi is reeling with anger and will do anything to protect her son, even if it means destroying Simone and Karl's reputation along the way. With some help, Taylor uncovers the dark truth about Jade's past and orchestrates a meeting with Eli in hopes to join forces before it's too late.

Dropping on CBS All Access on Thursday, October 10, 2019.

Lindsey Kraft, who plays Rob's secretary Claire, is not wildly famous, but since her first appearance here, I've thought she was above a small secretary role and wondered if there was more to come for her, and now it has.  I'm not sure I completely buy her confessing the truth to Beth Ann, but it was well-played. And now Beth Ann's bought a gun! We've known since the second episode that the 60s death involved a gun, and I'm happy to see it has arrived.

Naomi smashing all the presents Simone ever gave her was entertainingly dramatic. But her exposing Karl as being gay and having AIDS was horrible on her part. Amy wanting Karl to keep away from the wedding was pretty nasty, too.

I'm not sure where the best place to confront one's lover over her being a crazy criminal is, but I'm pretty sure it's not in the car while she's driving! I guess Eli and Taylor will probably be reuniting; it's nice that he's going to rehab, but while drugs (and Jade) played a big role in their problems, they do have other issues they need to work on.

My guesses for the deaths next week:
Beth Ann (or April?) kills Rob, but they (including Mary) kill two birds with one stone by framing Ralph for the crime.
Karl, near death, asks for Simone's help to die, and she acquiesces, helping him to die at home, with his boyfriend also at his side.
Taylor kills Jade, saving Eli (and Lamar, who we know witnesses the death).

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, CRT said:

My guesses for the deaths next week:

Beth Ann (or April?) kills Rob, but they (including Mary) kill two birds with one stone by framing Ralph for the crime.
Karl, near death, asks for Simone's help to die, and she acquiesces, helping him to die at home, with his boyfriend also at his side.
Taylor kills Jade, saving Eli (and Lamar, who we know witnesses the death).

I had similar ideas, though I was thinking Beth Ann will end up killing Ralph and frame Rob for the crime, letting him spend life in jail as punishment for all he did. Think maybe her and April will end up staying friends and raising baby together.

I think maybe assisted suicide with Karl too, which would be sad, I really like that him and Simone ended up being very supportive of each other.

I would also guess Taylor kills Jade in self defense.

As soon as I saw the first flashback I knew it would end up with Rob's misstress leving the gate unlocked, what a scumbag to blame Beth and make her think she was responsible.

I agree confronting Jade in car probably not the best idea, but maybe lucky Eli didn't do it in house where nobody would be around to help him if he got attacked.

• Love 3

I feel like Beth Ann thought Rob's cheating had something to do with the rift in their marriage after the death of their child. Once the secretary told her the cheating had been happening even when they were a" happy family", Beth Ann knew he wasn't a flawed man just a horrible human being and had to die.  I'm looking forward to his death the most.

I forgot how ignorant people were during the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, it was really sad to watch Simone and Karl be shunned. I don't want Karl to die but this seems to be the way that story line is headed.

Edited by Jessica Yes
  • Love 5

Tommy isn’t mentioned in the predictions above. Our last shot of him leaving the hospital room seemed a bit ominous and not like it was the last. I don’t think anything could stop Naomi from killing Simone with her car, so perhaps Tommy then kills Naomi? Or maybe Tommy manages to put himself between Naomi’s car and Simone?

Might Jade/Irene burn down the ill-fated house altogether, or do we have reason to believe the house still stands?

I’m not sure who kills whom with the Chekhovian gun purchased by Beth Ann, but, although Analeigh Tipton’s character’s abusive husband is too irredeemable to live, and although Rob is just plain irredeemable, Beth Ann’s plans always seem to backfire, so she will not likely live happily ever after. I wonder if Beth Ann’s autopsy will tragically reveal that she too was pregnant. 
In any event, the last scene with April —in which Rob reveals that his wife wanted to be a concert pianist and that he expects his wives to have dinner ready for him when he comes home, and we see the dawn of realization on April’s face— cannot be her last scene. 

• Love 2

Wow, Naomi went nuclear. Psycho bint. At least Jade had an excuse for her behavior. She was likely nuts from birth.

I kind of thought maybe Beth Ann was going to take April to get an abortion. Or back then it probably would've been euphemized as a D&C.

Lol, Tainted Love was perfect.

Lucy Liu has the best wardrobe in this. You can tell she's having fun wearing those over-the-top clothes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Lucy Liu has the best wardrobe in this. You can tell she's having fun wearing those over-the-top clothes

In this episode I especially loved the gold “Givenchy” (according to Simone) dress she wore when they learned they were blacklisted and forced to leave their club (wish I could have found a more complete picture):

5F8F971A-B561-4046-9146-97D36FC708FE.jpeg

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Is this series a one and done or could there be a second season?

Maybe. Yes but no? “How Marc Cherry Hopes to Follow in Ryan Murphy’s Footsteps with New Series ‘Why Women Kill’“ (variety.com/2019/scene/news/marc-cherry-ryan-murphy-footsteps-why-women-kill-1203296920/) towards the end of the article:

Cherry also pictures the series continuing in the same vein of a Ryan Murphy-style anthology. “If we are so lucky as to get a second season, I will wipe the slate clean and start with all-new characters and all-new situations,” he revealed.

“My hope is to establish a sort of repertory theater company and use all of the actors from season one as I can get to do it. That opens up the option for new actors to come along,” he continued. “Ryan Murphy absolutely gets credit for showing how that idea would work. It would be like ‘American Horror Story.'”

Davenport is all in for the anthology idea…

• Useful 2

When were the first handheld remote keyless entry systems put in cars?  I was taken aback when Simone used one.  To my recollection, in 1983, the "new" technology had a keypad at the door and not a fob.

Otherwise, a fantastic episode!

This show is just amazing to me! Why CBS is hiding this show on their All Access lineup is beyond me.

They should have aired this on regular primetime hours where a bigger audience could watch this gem. I think they could have really garnished a big following for this show.

I have never liked or cared for Lucy Liu, but her character on this show has stolen my heart. She's killing it! 

For me, there's a perfect blend of drama, comedy, suspense, and mystery. And I love the bright color schemes of the 60s and 80s storylines.

I will miss it when it's over.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The scene in the club with Simone and Karl was very well done.  Of course Naomi spilled the beans about Karl’s HIV status so the club booted him and Simone but they handled it as only they would.  The club is certainly going to throw out the glass Karl drank out of and more then likely give the table a good wash down.   I am seeing this whole thing going down as Karl asking Simone to help him commit suicide.   My guess is that her story may end with her running off with Tommy.

Jade (not her real name) is a full on psycho so my guess is Simone (and Eli) are going to end up killing her.  

If Beth Ann doesn’t murder Rob then their is no justice.  The dude deserves it so so much.  I mean he has been cheating on her fir a very long time and her let her believe she was responsible fir the death of her daughter.  That is cruel on a whole other level.  Beth Ann won’t kill a pregnant April but she would kill a cheating husband.

Sing it with me.

”Tainted love...”

• Love 1
On 10/13/2019 at 4:53 PM, shapeshifter said:

In self-defense? Could be. 

I think she will go to that agent to ask for her money since she's co-authored Eli's screenplay, and at some point will go full psycho. So that Afro-American lawyer woman will have to kill her (Gosh I even don't remember her name, that timeline didn't work for me at all).  

Tommy is a goner for sure, and so is Karl (I think the assisted suicide theory is true). 

In the 1950s we already know that  Beth Ann will kill the violent neighbour and  either Rob will take the blame to redeem himself, or she'll be cleared, because that definitely will be self-defence.   

Edited by skotnikov

I wish there was more to this show, too. Damn. And I only started watching late last week.

I wonder if Tommy put himself in front of his mother's car.

I knew that there would be other women killing people, in addition to, or instead of the main characters. I also figured that Rob had been cheating for years. Poor Beth Ann thought he cheated because they lost their daughter, so if she got rid of the mistress, things would be okay - I thought he would just find someone else to cheat with.

I love Simone, and her husband - it took an incredibly sad, but lovely turn (between them). She should cancel her daughter's wedding - everything that she paid for. 

39 minutes ago, Anela said:

I love Simone, and her husband - it took an incredibly sad, but lovely turn (between them). She should cancel her daughter's wedding - everything that she paid for. 

But we love Simone and her husband in large part because they are not vindictive. 
Also because they are fun and stylish. 😉

7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But we love Simone and her husband in large part because they are not vindictive. 
Also because they are fun and stylish. 😉

Yes, but they still should have cancelled it. She didn't care that her stepfather was dying, although I guess the wedding means they would no longer be responsible for her anymore. She's a part of someone else's family now. 

• Love 1

The daughter probably is how Simone was at that age.   Remember Karl is her third husband.    I am thinking Simone didn’t cancel the wedding because she loves her daughter and sees alot of herself in her and does want her to be happy.   Plus she is her husband’s problem now.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2