Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: The Blind Auditions, Part 5

• Start Topic

Airs October 7, 2019

Coaches Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani, John Legend and Blake Shelton vie to discover and coach the next singing phenomenon on the fifth night of blind auditions.

I liked Ricky Duran (pimp-spotted 4 chair turn, standing ovation) but really surprised he went with Blake. Did he give a reason, other than referencing Blake's almost half-hearted pitch? When Blake was saying it, I thought he was pretty much conceding that he didn't have much of a chance.

Really surprised at the one-chair turns tonight. I amused myself with imagining the singers thinking "at least you're not Adam."

Kelly was relatively restrained tonight. She makes really good comments when she's in this mode.

Does anyone know how long the coaches make their pitches for during the auditions? Or how long they talk to the ones that none of the coaches turned for? I'd love to hear more substantial comments such as "you picked the wrong song (and why it was the wrong song)" over apologies that nobody turned.

I liked the guy who auditioned as a gift for his girlfriend, the sweet tone of Dairy Farmer girl, and "Riptide" from Flint Michigan.

• Love 2

I usually skip the audition shows and just watch the performances on YouTube. Last night I made the mistake of watching the TV show. Waste of 2 hours. Other than the final contestant, Ricky Duran, I was not that impressed by the rest of the singers. There were a couple who were promising (like the one who was told she sounded kind of like Kelly Clarkson, or the nice looking guy who sang a kind of jazzy song).  But that's it.

A great deal of the 2 hours was about the singers' back stories. Family members who tragically died, growing up in a poor family, immigrating to the U.S., etc.  Singers who put their singing careers on hold because of unexpected pregnancies/tragedies/etc.  THE USUAL.  Sorry to sound hard-hearted, but I'm just not interested in that stuff anymore.  

Is Kelly taking some sort of "upper"? IMHO, that's how she's acting. A little too fast, too chatty, too out there.  Yikes.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, adhoc said:

A great deal of the 2 hours was about the singers' back stories. Family members who tragically died, growing up in a poor family, immigrating to the U.S., etc.  Singers who put their singing careers on hold because of unexpected pregnancies/tragedies/etc.  THE USUAL.  Sorry to sound hard-hearted, but I'm just not interested in that stuff anymore.  

As bad as you think those stories were, most of them were downright whimsical compared to some of the crap they've had people talk about.  I'm only being slightly sarcastic when I tell you I fully expected to hear about the formerly drug addicted singer whose entire family was living in a box under the I-80 overpass (next to dead grandma's body which they buried deep in the rubble) and if the singer didn't get a chair turn they were going to be kicked out of the box and left to fend off the rabid badgers that had taken over their campsite.

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

My secondhand embarrassment for Gwen is at its limit.

Yeah, she really doesn't have much to say except for the same old crap, "I can help you connect with the audience."

Blake is a good sport when someone sings one of his songs. This is the second time that  I remember and he turned around both times. Unlike John who doesn't like anyone singing his songs.

John looks so short in his chair for some reason.

I think the last singer (4 chair turn) picked Blake because of his track record. I don't blame him.

I wish the family was in a room somewhere instead of standing by the stage. Didn't they used to be in the first few seasons?

I'm sick of the back stories.

I wish they would tell us how many spots were left on each team.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I believe that he shrinking into the chair in embarrassment.

I think he is short. In photos he looks like he’s shorter than most people around him. 

He does’t turn around as often as the others. Is he pickier or does he already have a lot of people on this team?

59 minutes ago, Sweet-tea said:

He does’t turn around as often as the others. Is he pickier or does he already have a lot of people on this team?

I think he is being picky, and also avoiding engaging in the competition with the other coaches for contestants he may be able to steal later. It's probably not a bad strategy to let the other coaches fill up their teams and have some of the last contestants all to yourself to choose from.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I wish the family was in a room somewhere instead of standing by the stage. Didn't they used to be in the first few seasons?

Yes, it used to be that way and I liked it better. They could have whatever reaction they wanted to have without being overheard. I generally enjoyed moments of Carsen really seeming to enjoy participating in some of their big reactions. He legit seemed happy for them. I love a dorky over the top happy family.

• Love 1

I thought Joana and Ricky were the best of the night by quite a margin and among the very best so far this season. Both performances were, in John's words, almost perfect.  Among the two I would give a slight edge to Joana for having the guts to take on a The Weeknd song. 

8 hours ago, retired watcher said:

There are too many country singers this season.

And yet in this episode only 3 of the 13 contestants were pure country singers and two of those are pretty much fodder.  I'm no country fan, but I can live with that ratio.

Edited by viajero