Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: End of the Line

• Start Topic

In and amongst the abuse that the current season has received, is the call for Dave Erickson to be brought back as show runner, my timings are a bit sketchy, but I believe it was towards the end of season two and most of season three, that the show was absolutely awful, I remember almost quitting over it.

The end of season three and first phase of four seemed something like an amazing rescue, if I remember correctly, how quickly we forget the disappointing times of a persons reign, only to hold them up as a solution to the current predicament.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

It is on my DVR.  I don't think I will watch it.   Those after shows seem like spin more than anything else.

It doesn't matter if the writers are happy with Season 5, the ratings and criticism don't lie.  The product isn't good.   I wouldn't expect them to say that Season 5 sucked and so did their writing.  

I've managed to watch five minutes of my recording. I feel so embarrassed and uncomfortable watching the show. Poster child for cringeworthy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

In and amongst the abuse that the current season has received, is the call for Dave Erickson to be brought back as show runner, my timings are a bit sketchy, but I believe it was towards the end of season two and most of season three, that the show was absolutely awful, I remember almost quitting over it.

The end of season three and first phase of four seemed something like an amazing rescue, if I remember correctly, how quickly we forget the disappointing times of a persons reign, only to hold them up as a solution to the current predicament.

To me, only the beginning of season one was good.  The premiss of that show was bringing the beginning of the apocalypse,  the second they were on the boat and far from any civilisation that premiss was over.

Season 2 and 3 was the inverse of 4 and 5.  In 2-3 the actors were bad and the plot could have been interesting with a little more polish.  In 4-5 The plot was bad but the actors were good.

Finally I have been watching this show only to laugh about it.🤔

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The idea that Grace wouldn't know she was pregnant after three months really surprises me.   I suppose it is possible for her to know and not tell anyone, but that doesn't seem logical.  Why would she want to put her pregnancy/baby at risk?

Not to defend this idiocy, but she seemed awfully convinced she had radiation poisoning/a tumor from the power plant meltdowns.  As laughable as mistaking a pregnancy for that may be, well hell, it's not like she can google her symptoms if she's never been pregnant before and doesn't know what to look for.  If she hasn't been eating well, she probably didn't have the most regular cycle either even if she had a way to keep track.

I always wonder in stories like this when it's been months and years since civilization ended if these people even know what day it is anymore or specifically how much time has passed.  I can see how it could get tough if you're on the move a lot like these people have been without access to current calendars and or easy access to any official recordkeeping.  No bank clocks, no TV, no internet, after the first year or so no new calendars, no nothing.  I mean, I lose track of days now when the kids are on break if I'm not working or have appointments to keep.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Not to defend this idiocy, but she seemed awfully convinced she had radiation poisoning/a tumor from the power plant meltdowns.  As laughable as mistaking a pregnancy for that may be, well hell, it's not like she can google her symptoms if she's never been pregnant before and doesn't know what to look for.  If she hasn't been eating well, she probably didn't have the most regular cycle either even if she had a way to keep track.

I always wonder in stories like this when it's been months and years since civilization ended if these people even know what day it is anymore or specifically how much time has passed.  I can see how it could get tough if you're on the move a lot like these people have been without access to current calendars and or easy access to any official recordkeeping.  No bank clocks, no TV, no internet, after the first year or so no new calendars, no nothing.  I mean, I lose track of days now when the kids are on break if I'm not working or have appointments to keep.

This where those shows does not make sense.  You don't need internet to use these:

You can manage everything you have mentioned,  also acquire knowledge from cd, hard disc, other devices that are around...  Use camera, Draw stuff, listen to music, see videos, make security, consult maps, etc...

Just too bad ants all ate them.

image.thumb.png.c99e1f42d03b9a1d93ea039d55478302.png

Edited by heisenberg
  • LOL 2

Morgan "dying" is reminiscent of Glen "dying" by the dumpster on TWD. Are they pulling our chain again? Of course, unfortunately, this line of thinking reminds me of Glen's true death scene. Ugh, that was so disturbing, thanks Negan.

The horse being taken down was truly awful. 

• Love 1
On 10/2/2019 at 8:54 AM, icemiser69 said:

There still should be plenty of books around.

Also.  Maybe ants ate all them too.

At the end of season 4 they end up near by a hydro-electric dam.   I used to make the manuals to operate them when we had finished making the control panels.  It is about 1/2, 3/4 inch thick and very simple to follow the steps.  If one of those "survivors" took the time to open it, they would have been able to bring back power to a very large area in only a couple of minutes... 

They are able to build a crashed plane or make a balloon with a beer but they are not able to make basic things that would bring civilisation back.

Edited by heisenberg
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The group should have pulled together instead of being separated and taken out Virginia a long time ago .  I felt the same way on the other show with the Negan creep. I gave up on that series after Glenn was killed. This season of FTWD was pretty much a waste of time,I kept hoping it would get better,but it didn't.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

They did find that river which should have helped them stay alive for at least a few weeks with water alone.  They probably could learn how to fish as well.   There has to be berry bushes around somewhere close.

As unfamiliar with a location as a person who lives in 'Liverpool UK' can be, aren't there plenty of farms, estates that the group could inhabit in Texas?, with plenty of accommodation for all, and plenty of viable land with which they could grow food enough to keep the group alive for the short term, never mind the long, hard slog times ahead?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

As unfamiliar with a location as a person who lives in 'Liverpool UK' can be, aren't there plenty of farms, estates that the group could inhabit in Texas?, with plenty of accommodation for all, and plenty of viable land with which they could grow food enough to keep the group alive for the short term, never mind the long, hard slog times ahead?

In short, yes. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

With also a Walmart, Best Buy and Home Hardware near by.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:00 PM, icemiser69 said:

I have no clue where they are now.  Are they still within walking distance of the dam?

I don't either, They have listened to much of the Traveling Wilburys.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Finally watched this and it is, indeed, the end of the line for me. Too many characters, most of whom I don't care about at all. The ones I do like aren't in it much (and economics ensures that the newcomers are featured more than the, more expensive, earlier ones). Daniel, who I found the most interesting, has changed so much at the whim of the writers that he bares no resemblance to what he was. I don't care if Morgan lives or dies; he'll probably live, even though he shouldn't. And I've had it with cosplay villains, both here and on the mothership.

I thought this (article linked to below) nicely summed up one aspect of the season finale that I found a little confusing - all the group's talk about is there water near by?

One minute, one character was saying, there was water near, at another time, no.

Then at times, they were filming by a River, but later on would express amazement when Dwight told them there must be water nearby.

The show kept flip flopping on the whole "is there water near the group or not" story line.

John Dorie at one point did mention that there was a fishing hole (which implies water) by Humbug's Gulch, but when they get there, there was no water(?)

The following link is Re: season finale of "Fear The Walking Dead":

Here Is the Dumbest Plot Hole on Television in 2019

Excerpts:

Oct 5, 2019

By Dustin Rowles 

...What Fear the Walking Dead has that the other two shows do not, however, is the year’s dumbest plot hole. 

...For reasons that do not need to be explained, they settle upon a place called Humbug’s Gulch, formerly a Wild West Attraction in the pre-apocalypse days.

Garret Dillahunt’s character (John Dorie), who used to work in these attractions, notes that it’s perfect for them. “There’s plenty of room for us, and there’s a fishing hole nearby.”

They know how to get there because another character played by Jenna Elfman has lots of maps, which would presumably also show sources of water.

So, the Good Guys head off to Humbug’s Gulch (where they cross a bridge)... 

Meanwhile, a character named Tom who is filming the fuel tanker collapse from on top of the bridge (don’t ask) also falls into the river below and dies.

Once across the bridge, the Good Guys drive a little further before they run out of gas. They decide to walk the rest of the way to Humbug’s Gulch.

Once they arrive, however, they find that it is overrun with zombies and therefore uninhabitable. “There’s no food or water,” one of the Good Guys says, recognizing that without immediate help, they will die.

...(skip other examples from article from the episode where the characters are around water but keep saying they don't know where to find water)...

... In other words, somehow no one realized there was water nearby, despite the maps in their possession that clearly show a river; despite the fact that Garret Dillahunt specifically said there was a “fishing hole nearby,” despite the fact that their convoy ran out of gas in clear sight of a river, and despite the fact that they crossed a bridge to get to their destination, where one of the characters fell into the river and died.

• Love 2