Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Last Comic Standing Room Only

Unseen footage includes performance highlights, fan favorites, interviews and behind-the-scenes moments.

Lachlan's choice of Rod Man last week as the one he's funnier than is put into new perspective this week, as they clearly have some friendly history together. I also notice that the two of them will usually try to sit by each other. I'm guessing Lachlan chose Rod Man thinking nobody else would and he'd still be safe, or knowing that Rodman is one of the stronger comedians and can handle himself, and would still be safe.

I know one comedian whose name I didn't catch..Dylan something maybe? must be saying to himself, 4 of my jokes made a list of the top 50, and I still didn't get in...

Seeing some of the ones who didn't make the cut again brought home to me that the judges made 4-5 bad choices. for top 10 That's a lot of mistakes. 

I'm rooting for Lachlan for the win. He's my kind of comedian. And I'll take either Joe Machi or Rod Man as the other finalist.

• Love 2

This made all of the top 8, top 10 really, very likable.  The only ones who made me laugh out loud during their new footage segment were Joe Machi and Monroe Martin, but I really do want to root for all of them.  I enjoyed their shop talk, and despite his brash persona I got the impression that Jimmy Schubert really means all the supportive stuff he said last episode (about how no one in the top 10 is a loser regardless).

It also gives you a good sense of just how difficult this business is.  A lot of us knew DC Benny and Rocky Laporte before this, and despite that they couldn't support themselves on comedy alone.  That's really tough when having your own Comedy Central appearance doesn't save you from a day job.

• Love 2

I wish instead of doing a top 50, where they repeated many jokes we had already seen in previous episodes, they had just shown us stuff from comics we didn't get to see through the audition rounds.  I'm still sad Erin Jackson and Tracey Ashley (I think?) didn't make it further.

• Love 3

I agree I would have liked to see other jokes besides repeats of the same ones in the top 50. 

I am not a big fan of Rocky LaPorte, but I like all the others left OK.  (He really is a lot like Rodney Dangerfield, which they mentioned) Really Aida and Jimmy Schubert were my least favorite of the top 10, so they eliminated the ones I don't like first. 

My favorites are Lachlan and RodMan. 

I thought it was funny, they mentioned Rod Man and Karlous Miller had on similar looking shirts, but then Monroe Martin had one on like it as well.  It was like some shirt designer struck it big as the official outfitter of all the African American male finalists. 

I like Joe Machi, but just watching him on stage makes me nervous.  He doesn't move, he is bugged eyed, makes me so tense. 

Tim Northern was very funny. Maybe he will be back next season. He made the joke about siamese twins connected at the hand that always win Red Rover. He also said something funny about an eye patch.

• Love 2

I have a tough time staying interested in this show.   I DVR it, and it takes me a while to figure out if it's a repeat of an episode i already saw, or a "new"  episode that re-cycls bits from previous episodes.  The last one, with the top 100 -   I saw half of it already, didn't I?  

Anyway - Jimmy Schubert is gone, so maybe I can watch some more.  He annoyed me, the sound of his voice is so abrasive.   he reminds me of my uncles playing cards,  smoking cigars and drinking whiskey, while LOUDLY giving their opinions on everything. 

• Love 1

I think next week is a new episode. They played 2 countdowns in one week. Bad scheduling for sure.

Imagine me rolling my eyes at the idea that NBC can't even plan it's FILLER episodes correctly.

• Love 1

I have a tough time staying interested in this show.   I DVR it, and it takes me a while to figure out if it's a repeat of an episode i already saw, or a "new"  episode that re-cycls bits from previous episodes.  The last one, with the top 100 -   I saw half of it already, didn't I?  

Anyway - Jimmy Schubert is gone, so maybe I can watch some more.  He annoyed me, the sound of his voice is so abrasive.   he reminds me of my uncles playing cards,  smoking cigars and drinking whiskey, while LOUDLY giving their opinions on everything. 

I'm with you there!  I think I may have to hold off until they're down to the final few. I'm having a hard time following it between people who are featured on the commercials, the 'special' episodes, and the comics who have actually moved to the next round. Although I agree with you on it being more tolerable now that Schubert is gone as long as he STAYS gone (as in, not on the next however-many special episodes and please keep him out of every commercial).  Can't stand that guy.

I think there's a possibility that Shubert might be coming back because the audience gets a chance to vote on bringing someone back.  I like him so I don't mind.  I'd rather have him back than Aida Rodriguez.

I thought it was funny, they mentioned Rod Man and Karlous Miller had on similar looking shirts, but then Monroe Martin had one on like it as well.  It was like some shirt designer struck it big as the official outfitter of all the African American male finalists.

Ahahahaha. This made me laugh harder than some of the jokes this season.

It was nice to see some of the jokes that we skipped though it would have been better to slow down on the invitationals and semi-finals and just have longer rounds where we could have seen the jokes in the context of the longer sets.

I agree that the contestants seemed more likable seeing them in a more casual setting and getting their individual profiles. Though the intros that the announcer did were atrocious. Horrible across the board. 

I like Rod Man but I don't think he's the kind of comic you follow. I think he tells a good joke once in a while and I like him but I don't actually laugh at most of his material. The "field sobriety test" joke got a few barks of laughter out of me. He strikes me as the kind of comic I'd watch do a shorter set on comedy central but I don't think I would have tried to track down his standup outside of that set.

I do like DC Benny but I don't think all of his stories are that funny. Sometimes instead of a joke, it feels more like some anecdote your friend tells you. He comes across more like a comedic actor than a stand up.

I think Karlous Miller's real selling point is what Keenan mentioned about his command of the stage. I think I also prefer his more straightforward joke construction when you compare it to Rod Man and DC Benny.

Rocky LaPorte doesn't have the best jokes and for me his delivery stops me from enjoying most of them. I like to be surprised by jokes and the pauses take the zing out of the punchlines. I think the times that I've liked his sets I've just been beaten into submission by an endless round of unfunny jokes. They tend to put him at the end, don't they?

I still don't get Nikki Carr. I think she shouts most of her jokes. Most of her material isn't funny. And she's very hammy.

Joe Machi is one of the remaining comics that I can say that I genuinely like. 

Monroe Martin doesn't feel like he's quite ready to win yet but he has a lot of potential. I think it's mostly a delivery issue. I like him more than some of the veterans because I think he has more room to improve than they do. With DC or Rocky, either you like them or you don't. At this point, they aren't going to change.

Along with Joe Machi, Lachlan is the other contestant I genuinely like. 

Reliving the jokes just made me wish they'd chosen different finalists. Guy Branum's and Joe Zimmerman's jokes still made me laugh the second time around. From the countdown, they seemed to like Randy Liedtke. It's a shame he didn't get through. The lame jokes still didn't make me laugh. Too much Dana Eagle. Damn it, every time we saw "Tell it to my balls" girl was one time too many. Also, I feel like the way they organized the countdown, they don't understand which jokes are actually better than others. 

• Love 1
Reliving the jokes just made me wish they'd chosen different finalists. Guy Branum's and Joe Zimmerman's jokes still made me laugh the second time around. From the countdown, they seemed to like Randy Liedtke. It's a shame he didn't get through... Damn it, every time we saw "Tell it to my balls" girl was one time too many.

If one of them was the guy with the "don't smile at a wolf" joke, I totally agree. There were some decent comics left by the wayside. I'm also disappointed there were only two women finalists. Deanne Smith is better than "Tell it to my balls", I think she took a gamble there for short-term gain but it took away from her normally more intelligent material and ended up backfiring.

Speaking of backfiring, I think sandwiching in the "special" episode(s?) at this point kills the momentum of the series and will lose them a bunch of viewers. As you mentioned, having longer rounds showing more of the comics in the early going would have made the whole thing more enjoyable. It's had a very rushed feeling, and now they seem to be just delaying the last half of the season for no apparent reason. I don't think there's a summer sweeps, is there?

Yeah, it's been hard not to notice all the vinyl/pvc/pleather/faux leather, especially in alternating panels with regular fabric. Is this a thing? Just a coincidence? The result of misguided, stereotyping stylists? A car upholstery product tie-in?

• Love 3