Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: REWATCH: Valley of the Twenty-Something Guys

"There are no available men in their thirties in New York. Giuliani had them removed along with the homeless." - Miranda

Carrie discovers the limitations of going out with a twentysomething hunk. Charlotte's boyfriend has a sexual favor to ask; Samantha comes to the sobering realization that she'll always be older than her boy toy.

Topic opens Monday morning, June 30.

First off, the superficial: I loved Carrie's hair in this episode -- actually in everything after the pilot it has looked great. I always thought the dark roots look from the later seasons was awful. Next, why was Miranda wearing a tie? Was that ever an "in" look for women? I get that she was supposed to be this tough, no-nonsense career woman, but why was it necessary to remove all traces of her femininity? And I liked the blue dress Carrie wore for her "thing" with Big. Great color, very simple and elegant. And that was Raylan Givens on my TV!

In these early episodes Carrie's finances were put right out there. She left $20 for a round of drinks for Big and his icky friend, and then in her voice-over said she'd left her cab fare at the restaurant and had to walk home in $400 shoes. I'd forgotten that this was part of the earlier episodes. I wish they'd kept this up. I've griped many times that it wouldn't have taken much to make the series more realistic from that perspective -- just a line like that one here and there.

This was the first episode where I really bought the close friendship between the 4 women. That scene in the cab was hilarious, starting with Carrie dropping everything and telling Charlotte to meet her in 10 minutes. Miranda's analysis of the whole situation about how there would be a shift in power, but the question was would it be in Charlotte's favor or her boyfriend's cracked me up. Carrie informing the cabbie that "a cigarette is in order!" made me laugh, and of course Samantha's input of "it's fabulous" and telling the rest of them to lighten up was funny too. And poor Charlotte, completely overwhelmed and horrified that it was becoming the topic of a panel discussion.

I also thought the morning-after scene at 20-something Sam's apartment was funny too. I've been in situations similar to that, where you're partying all night, having a great time, and then the sun comes up and all you can think is, "OMG what the hell have I gotten myself into?" and "I'm old enough to know better," and "I need to get out of here immediately!" The random roommate appearing out of nowhere, plus poor clueless 20-something Sam singing his "Unicorn Woman" song and using the last of the TP as a coffee filter were perfect additions to that scene.

Carrie played it so cool with Mr. Big in this episode. Leaving him $20 for the next round of drinks and telling him to just have a guy's night with his newly-dumped friend, and then telling him to call her for dinner when she ran into him later...she handled both of those situations perfectly, even though she was unsure of herself. And the scene with her having Miranda listen to her message was good too (funny that there were land-lines set up at the restaurant...before the age of smart phones). Many women do tend to obsess about little things when it comes to men. I did it when I was single, and I even do it now and then when my husband does or says something I can't figure out. But then she owned it and said it was pretty sad that she was having Miranda try to decipher Big's message to figure out if he "sort of" liked her. Later on, she let those obsessive tendencies completely take over, which probably contributed to their break-ups.

• Love 2

She left $20 for a round of drinks for Big and his icky friend, and then in her voice-over said she'd left her cab fare at the restaurant and had to walk home in $400 shoes. I'd forgotten that this was part of the earlier episodes. I wish they'd kept this up.

I agree. Carrie was still pretty relate-able and level-headed at this point.

Even when I was 20something, I never encountered any guys as clueless and completely slobby as Sam and his roomie, but it's Timothy Olyphant, so whatever.  And YUM.  (Though I think he's much sexier now on Justified than he was back then.)

• Love 1

Had to laugh, as if Samantha would only date men older than her after this, just so she could be younger.

Carrie did seem to be playing Big pretty well there, holding off any "thing" with him until it could just be the two of them on a "date."  I love that she kept her coat closed when she ran into Big the next morning so he couldn't see that she was still in the dress she wore the night before and obviously spent the night elsewhere.  Lol'd that she didn't have cab fare, but could buy $400 new shoes.  I guess back then cabs didn't take credit cards. 

And more Carrie unrealism - not realizing that her 20-something boy toy would have a roommate because Manhatten apartments = usually pretty damn expensive (which is why I never understood how at least two of Carrie, Charlotte and Miranda didn't share one - Samantha seemed sucessful enough to afford her own - maybe Miranda too, if she was working in "big law" and making even a low six figure income).

Would a guy seriously just come out and ask a girl he's dating to have anal sex?  I don't think they'd even had 'regular' sex before then.  I would think that would be something posed more 'in the moment,' but  then, I never had a guy ask me such thing when I was just dating either.  I remember that cab conversation being pretty fun, especially with the cab driver listening in.  I wouldn't have thought Miranda had experience with anal either, but it sounded like she did.

• Love 2

This episode is classic just for Carrie telling the cab driver that they were "talking about up the butt here".  I literally laugh out loud every time I watch that scene.

• Love 1

I never encountered any guys as clueless and completely slobby as Sam and his roomie, but it's Timothy Olyphant, so whatever.  And YUM.  (Though I think he's much sexier now on Justified than he was back then.)

Yeah, maybe she shouldn't have written him off so quickly - he definitely is getting better with age.

I have never had a new-ish boyfriend ask for anal, but is the whole "balance of power" a real thing? It seems to me either you want to or you don't.

On the other hand, I have absolutely enlisted help in deciphering a man's messages, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

I thought Carrie played it very cool with Big in this episode and I love the "Damn, it would've been so cool if I hadn't looked back." But I hate hate hate when she gives him the crossword clue. That is so annoying. Like when someone comes up behind you while you're playing Solitaire and says, "Red seven on black eight." I WILL GET THERE. If I wanted your help, I would ask. Ugh.

• Love 1

I love that she kept her coat closed when she ran into Big the next morning so he couldn't see that she was still in the dress she wore the night before and obviously spent the night elsewhere.  

I didn't notice that - nice catch.

And more Carrie unrealism - not realizing that her 20-something boy toy would have a roommate because Manhatten apartments = usually pretty damn expensive

I didn't think she thought he had his own place. It seemed more like she'd ended up there with Sam in a drunken haze, hooked up with him, and didn't give much thought to her surroundings. Then in the cold hard light of day she had a look around and realized where she was. 

• Love 1

I remember this being the first episode that I really, really liked.  Everything about it just delighted me the first time I saw it.  As mentioned above, the up-the-butt cab ride will always be a series highlight and truly cemented for me how these women were really friends.  Carrie's interactions with Big were great.  And get the fuck outta town, Timothy Olyphant, who I would bend over for in a quarter of a nanosecond.  I wouldn't even mind the skeezy apartment and roommate.

This episode was the first SatC episode I ever watched. Thankfully it was only four episodes in so I hadn't missed much.

Had to laugh, as if Samantha would only date men older than her after this, just so she could be younger.

Carrie did seem to be playing Big pretty well there, holding off any "thing" with him until it could just be the two of them on a "date."  I love that she kept her coat closed when she ran into Big the next morning so he couldn't see that she was still in the dress she wore the night before and obviously spent the night elsewhere.  Lol'd that she didn't have cab fare, but could buy $400 new shoes.  I guess back then cabs didn't take credit cards. 

And more Carrie unrealism - not realizing that her 20-something boy toy would have a roommate because Manhatten apartments = usually pretty damn expensive (which is why I never understood how at least two of Carrie, Charlotte and Miranda didn't share one - Samantha seemed sucessful enough to afford her own - maybe Miranda too, if she was working in "big law" and making even a low six figure income).

Would a guy seriously just come out and ask a girl he's dating to have anal sex?  I don't think they'd even had 'regular' sex before then.  I would think that would be something posed more 'in the moment,' but  then, I never had a guy ask me such thing when I was just dating either.  I remember that cab conversation being pretty fun, especially with the cab driver listening in.  I wouldn't have thought Miranda had experience with anal either, but it sounded like she did.

Was living in Manhattan in 1997/1998 as cost prohibitive as it is now, though? I know there was a moment later on in the series where Carrie mentioned that she lived in a rent-controlled apartment, and it seems that Charlotte and Miranda had been living in the city for some years. Also, Carrie lived downtown (in the West Village, if I'm remembering correctly). It wouldn't have been as expensive as, say, living on the Upper East side.

Yeah, maybe she shouldn't have written him off so quickly - he definitely is getting better with age.

I have never had a new-ish boyfriend ask for anal, but is the whole "balance of power" a real thing? It seems to me either you want to or you don't.

On the other hand, I have absolutely enlisted help in deciphering a man's messages, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

I thought Carrie played it very cool with Big in this episode and I love the "Damn, it would've been so cool if I hadn't looked back." But I hate hate hate when she gives him the crossword clue. That is so annoying. Like when someone comes up behind you while you're playing Solitaire and says, "Red seven on black eight." I WILL GET THERE. If I wanted your help, I would ask. Ugh.

I loved that moment, too, because I've had moments like that. I also loved that moment in the cab when the driver hit what could be assumed was a pothole and Charlotte yelled "What was that?" Miranda and Sam's response of "A preview!" had me dying.

She left $20 for a round of drinks for Big and his icky friend, and then in her voice-over said she'd left her cab fare at the restaurant and had to walk home in $400 shoes. I'd forgotten that this was part of the earlier episodes. I wish they'd kept this up.

I thought they did do it throughout the series, though. Carrie lived on credit, lived in a rent-controlled studio, charged tomatoes on her credit card. 

Also, Carrie lived downtown (in the West Village, if I'm remembering correctly). It wouldn't have been as expensive as, say, living on the Upper East side.

I remember that Carrie lived on the UES, but the actual brownstone that starred in the exterior shots of her apartment is in the West Village. Can someone confirm?

• Love 1

ktwo, you are correct:

Carrie Bradshaw, New York’s most fabulous single lady, lived in a $700 a month rent controlled apartment on the Upper East Side (245 E 73rd Street, between Park and Madison to be exact). Carrie’s iconic brownstone was the setting for many scenes on the show and where she sat looking out the window while writing  her sex column. Even though it was supposed to be the Upper East Side, the building used for exterior and the famous front stoop of her apartment is actually in the West Village (was originally filmed at 64 Perry St in the first three series but moved over to the grander looking steps next door).

I remember that Carrie lived on the UES, but the actual brownstone that starred in the exterior shots of her apartment is in the West Village. Can someone confirm?

Ahhh. Thanks for the correction. I thought that Carrie lived in the West Village.

22 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

$700 A MONTH?! Holy crap, even for 1998 that's a fantastic rent!

It was the last era of being able to move there and "make it" without needing five roommates or like as shown in the series Girls many now have parents somewhere covering half or all of their rent. 

• Love 2

I thought that Carrie lived in the West Village.

It would make more sense for her to live in a neighborhood like that. Or at least somewhere a bit more funky than the UES.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BBHN said:

It would make more sense for her to live in a neighborhood like that. Or at least somewhere a bit more funky than the UES.

Heh. Maybe that’s a metaphor for Carrie throughout the entire show, who pretends to be a confidently single sex columnist, but is actually just dying for a rich man to sweep her off her feet.

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, ktwo said:

Heh. Maybe that’s a metaphor for Carrie throughout the entire show, who pretends to be a confidently single sex columnist, but is actually just dying for a rich man to sweep her off her feet.

Oh I ALWAYS got that vibe from Carrie---she was like the small town girl who came to the big city of Manhattan to live out her sophisticated fashionista/experimental journalist dreams.

She tried so hard to be as cool, experienced and confident as Samantha, and as snarky and wisely cynical as Miranda, but deep down she was mostly a Charlotte at heart, only without the modern innocence and open aspirations of becoming a rich housewife. I honestly thought she was an interesting mixture of all the girls lumped into a wacky package, but at her core I felt she was mostly a Charlotte, even though Miranda appeared to be her closest confidante.

• Love 8