Type keyword(s) to search

One Day at a Time in the Media

Season 4 premieres March 24

After a celebrated new season pickup following a passionate fan campaign, Pop TV today announced that the acclaimed series ONE DAY AT A TIME, will return on Tuesday, March 24 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT, following all new-episodes of the final season of SCHITT'S CREEK before moving to 9 p.m. ET/PT, starting on April 14.

• Love 4
(edited)

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will suck having to watch only one episode per week, though. lol

Here is the release for the season:

Produced by Sony Pictures Television, the award-winning comedy inspired by Emmy® winner Norman Lear's 1975 series of the same name will continue to tell the story of the Cuban American Alvarez family throughout 13 original episodes. This season will find Penelope (Screen Actors Guild Award® winner Justina Machado) exploring a surprising relationship, her mother Lydia (Emmy, Grammy®, Oscar® and Tony® winner Rita Moreno) experiencing a religious crisis – as well as revealing the details of her surprise trip to Cuba with Dr. Berkowitz (Stephen Tobolowsky), and Schneider (Todd Grinnell) finding his relationship with  Avery (India de Beaufort) growing deeper. Meanwhile, Elena (Isabella Gomez) begins to prepare for college and Alex (Marcel Ruiz) starts to date.

https://press.poptv.com/releases/ODAAT_Premier_Date

Episode descriptions:

https://press.poptv.com/onedayatatime/episodedescriptions

Spoiler

401 - “CHECKING BOXES”

After a census taker comes to the house, the Alvarez family reflects on their relationships, and what else the future may, or may not, have in store.

402 - "PENNY PINCHING"

After a disastrous evening, Penelope realizes she needs to change her relationship to money and do the unthinkable: buy something new; meanwhile Elena struggles to make it to an important e-sports match.

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 1

I wonder how many episodes are filmed, or if production will have to be halted? They started filming at the end of January. There will be 13 episodes.

Nevermind, they have stopped production:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/stranger-things-one-day-at-a-time-shutting-down-production-coronavirus-1203537244/

Maybe they will end up pushing back the season if the episodes can't be filmed in a timely manner. The first episode is supposed to air on Tuesday...

https://tv.avclub.com/one-day-at-a-time-s-gloria-calderon-kellett-on-season-4-1842396196

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

That looks like...promotion?  Thank you PopTV. 

The video calls with everyone in-character is genius. I like the realistic portrayal of Penelope, who is an NP now. She is on the front lines.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, emcmac87 said:

So they confirmed in this video that they had shot 6 episodes before the quarantine, of a 13 episode order. So I guess next week will be the last episode? 

Yes, Pop is calling it a mid-season finale.

That's terrific.  Gloria Calderón Kellett has been at the forefront of talking about how and when production can resume safely, and she talks about the needs of everyone from high-risk legends like Norman Lear and Rita Moreno to the PAs.

Also,thank you, @ShortyMac, for your postings keeping us abreast of behind-the-scenes news and other goodies.  I don't use social media other than occasionally checking in on a very few Twitter accounts, so I'd miss much of this otherwise, especially the deleted scenes and bloopers you post in the relevant episode threads.

• Love 3

Loving this show is so hard.

It sounds like the rest of season 4 won't be filmed.  If they film again, it'll be for a Season 5.  However, Pop TV looks to be bowing out of scripted television so if the show lives on, it'll likely be on another one of CBS's properties.  So the showings on CBS could make or break the show going forward.

https://telltaletv.com/2020/09/gloria-calderon-kellett-on-why-the-cbs-debut-of-one-day-at-a-time-is-a-big-deal-exclusive-interview/

Hmm.  If CBS promotes the show, and gives it a chance to find a new audience/for the old audience to find it, this could be a good home for it.  But, like Calderón Kellet says, that has traditionally been a big IF for shows about/run by BIPOC people.  And this is CBS.

It was inevitable that the original plan for the second half of season four would have to be scrapped; they were going to continue it as if the pandemic hadn't happened, and then catch up with real time in season five.  That would have worked had COVID life only lasted a few months, but it's not possible now.

But hopefully we can get a season five.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:37 PM, chitowngirl said:

Since scripted series are slow to start up this fall, CBS could benefit by running this from the beginning and build some audience. Starting on broadcast TV in the middle of the story will make it hard to get new viewers.

It was supposed to begin on CBS tomorrow, but today’s Covid postponed Patriots- Chiefs games is now scheduled for tomorrow on CBS at 7pm ET.

https://www.nfl.com/news/postponed-patriots-chiefs-game-being-planned-for-monday-night-pending-results-of

One more reason to hate COVID-19, but the fundamental problem is how there isn't enough interest/support for shows like this in any time.  I am glad to have had the experience for the time it lasted, though; I watched the original because it was there, but this reboot I truly loved (and I watch very little new fictional programming these days).  At least the way we left the extended family is a positive one, and we can imagine realistically good things for everyone's futures.

But, damn.

• Love 3

From Episode 8:

Meanwhile, Schneider enlists Alex to help him build a crib and baby-proof his apartment.

Why Alex, when Elena is the one to have not only shown a propensity for and interest in handyperson skills but previously worked as Schneider's assistant?  I hope this of all shows would provide a reason beyond sporting a penis.

From episode 13:

(As noted by Kellett, this one had “a twist where Elena wants to stay in L.A. after actually getting into Yale!”)

These things are always hard to pull off, where a character who would logically go away to school instead decides to attend a local university (so they can remain a regular part of the show).  I'm curious to know what Elena's reason would have been.

I know their original plan was to film these remaining episodes as set back before COVID existed, then rejoin reality in season five.  With COVID being an utter disaster a lot longer than many hoped at the time that mindset was announced, I just can't imagine them still doing so if the show had not been cancelled.  But since I watch almost no new fictional programming, and the one show I do watch, The Conners, incorporates (with frustrating inconsistency) pandemic life, maybe it's actually common to put out programming that exists either in the recent past or in an alternate universe so it need not be addressed; it would be very weird to me, but maybe not to most.

I'm just sorry not to get the chance to find out.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Why Alex, when Elena is the one to have not only shown a propensity for and interest in handyperson skills but previously worked as Schneider's assistant?  I hope this of all shows would provide a reason beyond sporting a penis.

Ha.  Probably just because Elena is busy with the church storyline in that episode.

I would have loved to see the road trip/telenovela send off and the one with Lydia's singing. 

• Love 2