S39: "Boston" Rob Mariano (Mentor)

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

image.png.10264e7c58ad6c3bc87aa75fb92e975a.png

From CBS.com

Mentor

"Boston" Rob Mariano

Biography

Previous seasons of Survivor: Marquesas, All-Stars, Heroes vs. Villains, Redemption Island (winner)

What specific accomplishments do you think ultimately earned you the moniker of "Idol" when it comes to Survivor?
I've played Survivor four times over the course of nearly two decades. I have seen the evolution of the game and I am proficient in the three main aspects of the game: the social component, the physical component, and the strategic/psychological component. I wouldn't necessarily call myself an idol—I didn't come up with that idea—but I definitely know what I'm doing!

What do you think you can teach the new castaways to help them become Sole Survivor?
I understand the basics: everything from how to start a fire, build a shelter, and catch fish. And the more complex, social dynamics of the game—and of course, different strategic approaches.

How will being a mentor present a different challenge for you than actually competing in the game?
I think the hardest thing about being a mentor for myself is not being able to actually compete. I am competitive by nature, so to stand on the sidelines and watch the game being played is going to be difficult.

Given that you're not playing Survivor in the traditional sense, what element of the game are looking forward to NOT having to endure?
The fact that they can't vote me off will give me time to really enjoy the survival aspect of the game (camp life). My background is in construction so I plan to concentrate on building the ultimate shelter. The best one Survivor has ever seen!

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, cherrypj said:

I worry that he'll lose a ton of weight or get sick and then be ill-prepared for S40.

Oh that never occurred to me. Are 39 and 40 filming back-to-back or was it 38 and 39? If it's the latter, then he and Sandra would have had at least a few months recovery time.

6 hours ago, Goodmantryin said:

Boston Rob and Sandra as "mentors". How lame can you get. Wow! they showed Elizabeth how to start a fire - lol. She acted like she learned the secrets of the origins of the universe.

Here's the thing though, very few survivors bother to learn how to start a fire before coming on the show (go Janet!  Finally!).  And, if others don't know how to start a fire successfully, it may extend her time on the tribe for a while.  If she goes to final 4, it definitely will be of help.  I know that many of us who post on the Survivor forum mention that we would learn how to make fire, but the reality is that we are in the minority-most do not bother with survival skills before appearing on the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Here's the thing though, very few survivors bother to learn how to start a fire before coming on the show

Yes. A lot of them don't even bother to learn in the 39 days that they're there. More than once we've seen people try to learn how to make fire once they found out they were going to be in an F4 tie, and even now that firemaking at F4 is mandatory, we still end up with people at the end who seem clueless about how to do it.

5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Here's the thing though, very few survivors bother to learn how to start a fire before coming on the show

And even for those who do, learning to making fire under ideal conditions at home (no wind, proper kindling, dry wood, etc.) is very different to actually making fire on location (wind, wet wood, etc.)

• Love 2

On the season where Rob won the million dollars, he suckered 2 or 3 mindless young girls who did nothing during the 39 days except take up space into thinking that if they went to the final three with him, they would have a chance of winning against him. Fools. He got the million and they got nothing. I give him credit for that but not for saying "Survivor is my life" on the season when he got inured and had to leave the show. If survivor is your life, then you need to get a life.

58 minutes ago, Goodmantryin said:

I give him credit for that but not for saying "Survivor is my life" on the season when he got inured and had to leave the show. If survivor is your life, then you need to get a life.

Well given that he met his wife on Survivor and they had a family together and seem happy.  Plus, probably, all his income comes from Survivor.  How can anyone say what constitutes a fulfilling life for someone else?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Goodmantryin said:

I give him credit for that but not for saying "Survivor is my life" on the season when he got inured and had to leave the show

That never happened.  He's never been medevaced.  He's either made the finals or been voted out pre-jury.

1 hour ago, Goodmantryin said:

On the season where Rob won the million dollars, he suckered 2 or 3 mindless young girls who did nothing during the 39 days except take up space into thinking that if they went to the final three with him, they would have a chance of winning against him. Fools. He got the million and they got nothing.

Well, one of those 2 women wasn't so mindless.  She was going to turn on him and take the other girl (who was more passive) to the finals, so he voted her out first...and replaced her with Special Agent Pink Panties.

The passive one got third place and at least $85K.  That's nothing to sneeze at.

• Love 13