Whimsy
  • Start Topic

image.png.eaf834b96813cb7250391e054929d4ba.png

From CBS.com

Janet Carbin

Biography

Hometown: Neptune, New Jersey
Current residence: Palm Bay, Florida

Hobbies: Body surfing, softball, and rowing lifeguard boats.

Pet peeves: Laziness and being wasteful.

Three words to describe you: Aggressive, enthusiastic, and vivacious.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Saving many lives in the ocean and of course, my kids and my grandchildren.

Who or what is your inspiration in life?
Tina Turner. She walked out and made no excuses—and made it big.

What's one thing we wouldn't know from seeing a photo of you?
I come off tough and stern... not true.

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
Stephenie, because she's athletic.

What's your primary motivation for being on Survivor?
It's my dream. And the money!

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
Because I can read people and I have the necessary skills, athletically and socially.

I think Janet was the MVP of episode 1.  

She got the tribe organized.

She made fire without flint.

She nailed the grappling hook on her first try.

She helped Kellee figure out how to deal with Handsy Dan.  

At first sight, she was probably looked at as an early or even the first boot by most of her tribemates, but she totally turned that around and showed herself to be a valuable likable tribe member. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think Janet was the MVP of episode 1.  

She got the tribe organized.

She made fire without flint.

She nailed the grappling hook on her first try.

She helped Kellee figure out how to deal with Handsy Dan.  

At first sight, she was probably looked at as an early or even the first boot by most of her tribemates, but she totally turned that around and showed herself to be a valuable likable tribe member. 

Yep, in an episode heavily featuring 'rookie mistakes' (I guess to emphasize the need for mentors, ha ha), she made none - quite the reverse. I hope she goes far.

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Love 3

I was actually impressed that the older woman got a likable, capable edit for once.  I know the argument will be 'well it helps to be likable', but really, older women don't always get the best treatment when it comes to portrayal.  I don't think being that unlikable or weak has much to do with it.  I kept waiting for the editors to turn it around and suddenly she became bossy or demanding or fell once during a challenge (and have Probst make a big deal about it on the sidelines).

We'll see what next week brings, but definitely one of my favorites so far.

• Love 2

When I heard her say that as an older woman she knew she had a target on her back so she planned to stand out,  I screamed nooooooo.  But that was because I thought she was going to stand out by being bossy, telling everyone where to put the machetes, losing the fishing gear, supervising the building of the shelter  and spreading their clothes all over the beach.   It never occurred to me she was going to stand out by being awesome.  Fantastic!

• Love 10
10 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

When I heard her say that as an older woman she knew she had a target on her back so she planned to stand out,  I screamed nooooooo.  But that was because I thought she was going to stand out by being bossy, telling everyone where to put the machetes, losing the fishing gear, supervising the building of the shelter  and spreading their clothes all over the beach.   It never occurred to me she was going to stand out by being awesome.  Fantastic!

I had the same initial reaction.  I was afraid she was going to stand out in a negative way...,basically go full Reem.

Then, when I saw she was going to try to make fire without flint, I realized she had the right idea.  When she succeeded, I was really happy for her.  She is my favorite, so far.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 4

I watch the show with my 13 and 15 year old boys who tend to favor the younger male players (Wendell is their favorite).  But they both think Janet is awesome and the best player there right now.  They were impressed when she said she managed 130 lifeguards, awestruck when she made fire, and completely won over with the grappling hook.  (Jack is their second favorite though, so they haven’t strayed too far from trend).

But I love that they loved Janet!

• Love 9

I really liked Janet and I'm glad she was able to prove her value to the tribe.  Hopefully, she will have a good strategic game, too.  Is this the first season that was cast since the old casting director left or was fired? The contestants seem a lot more like "real people" than the past however-many seasons of models and younger people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

I really liked Janet and I'm glad she was able to prove her value to the tribe.  Hopefully, she will have a good strategic game, too.  Is this the first season that was cast since the old casting director left or was fired? The contestants seem a lot more like "real people" than the past however-many seasons of models and younger people.

Yes, this is the first season not cast by Lynn Spielman (not sure if that's how you spell it).  So far I'd say it's an improvement. 

• Love 3

Janet is an awesome human being. I felt terrible for her during this episode. 

There's a lot about her to like, but what impressed me the most was how direct she is with people. After the vote, she went right up to Dan and addressed what went down head on. All the other cowards on the tribe were talking about him behind his back, only to backstab her. Then, when missy and Elizabeth lied about everything to Dan, Janet went right up to them and addressed them head on. And she did so firmly but without being aggressive or angry, which is not easy to do when someone is lying about you. I am very impressed with her. 

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Janet for the win. Hell, I would consider chipping into a go fund me account for her.

They need to bring back the America's Favorite Player Award.  

Janet, Kellee, and Survivor are all trending on Twitter.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

They need to bring back the America's Favorite Player Award. 

I agree. This season is leaving such a terrible taste in everyone's mouth, what with virtually every player and Production as a whole looking like utter shit now, and bringing back America's Fave, which surely Janet would get, might mitigate some of that.

In any case though, I have no doubt she'll get the Sia money so at least there's that.

I am so fucking impressed with her. This tweet I about her really encompasses why:

• Love 11