Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural & Vampire Diaries Mash Up Mafia

• Start Topic

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reb, I don't blame you a bit - the random assignments just landed in such a way that three veterans ended up on the villains, and I think a lot of newer players were on the heroes. Speaking of newer players, we might get joined next round by a few more new faces, some of the other mods have expressed interest in playing.

Reb, I don't blame you a bit - the random assignments just landed in such a way that three veterans ended up on the villains, and I think a lot of newer players were on the heroes. Speaking of newer players, we might get joined next round by a few more new faces, some of the other mods have expressed interest in playing.

Not to mention the fact that we took Spruce and TJ out right away.

Yay for new players! That's fantastic news, stacey! It's fun to watch new minds at play.

*runs and hids*

Reb, I was making no comment on your game, just saying I was anxiously awaiting the next :)

The main thing I wanted was to avoid any no-lynches after Day 1. They only favor the Villains. Obviously lynching a Hero favors them more, but I feel like you have to try.

So no one answered: did anyone see my oh-so-clever hints that I was a medium?

The main thing I wanted was to avoid any no-lynches after Day 1. They only favor the Villains. Obviously lynching a Hero favors them more, but I feel like you have to try.

So no one answered: did anyone see my oh-so-clever hints that I was a medium?

To the first point here, any time we have a game with no clue in the first Day, I do feel it not only stalls the game, but gives a clear advantage to the villains. Now, in this one in particular, we got REALLY lucky that we were able to eliminate two heroes each Night. That is highly unusual for a game with no Serial Killer. I know Reb was trying to get us started and I respect that decision. Again, this is my opinion, so please take it with a margarita-sized chunk of salt, by being told there was no clue in that first story, there was no motivation for any discussion.

What the new players don't necessarily realize is that there are many clues to be found in the daily discussion. This is why I was going to push jessied112 as a suspect after we took out TJ and TMunz. They had both fallen in with my connection of Hocus Pocus and Sarah Jessica Parker (which clearly wasn't a clue to begin with), thinking jessie might be a villain, and they both died the Night after she suggested it. :D

Oh I'm totally in to play just I can't take modding 2 in a row is all! lol

But yes they did, I tried to be as fair as possible with the assignments, because I know everyone always wants to be a villian. (It's way more fun).

@caprice I understand where you're comming from... But at the same time that's why I'm against clues as a mod. If it was up to me I wouldn't give any clues the entire game. While I agree clues motivate the discussion, they motivate it solely to focus in the clues alone. And that to me doesn't feel like your playing mafia, mafia is game play to me, and feeling out odd and unusual behavior. That's why I like trying to throw in some different and not so common powers in my games, gives people something to think about.

• Love 1

Death I felt the worst about Curious Parker - I feel like linking you to another player didn't work out as well as I hoped. I was hoping ou would find each other in thread and create an semi Mason ability and know someone you could trust. It would have gotten intresting had you choosen a villian.

Aw Reb, don't feel bad about my death.  I blame the villains and the fact that I didn't believe The Crazed Spruce would have such bad luck 2 games in a row.

... But at the same time that's why I'm against clues as a mod. If it was up to me I wouldn't give any clues the entire game. While I agree clues motivate the discussion, they motivate it solely to focus in the clues alone. And that to me doesn't feel like your playing mafia, mafia is game play to me, and feeling out odd and unusual behavior. 

Wait now I'm confused, I thought the whole point was to try and figure out the clues from the story.  I'm basing this on the last game we played which was my 1st. Could you maybe give an example of how it would play out with out story clues?

It's a lot harder without clues, but as I've often said, I suck at finding clues anyway.  You have to look carefully at how people are playing the game; who's defending whom, who's rushing to David Lynch whom, etc.  With no clues at all to work with, I think you need much larger games than we've been used to over the past few years, or a steep hero/villain ratio, for no-clue games to work.

At the same time, watching and analyzing how people react to various possible clues is also instructive, and IMHO also counts as analyzing gameplay.  It's one thing for me to say "that clue pointing to me is stupid," it's quite another for someone else to also jump in to debunk it, particularly when it's obvious.

• Love 2

As a newbie trying to get a handle on the group, the clues are helpful. Of course by the time I figured them out it was too late. A couple more games under my belt and that might be different but it definitely feels like being new is a disadvantage. But it's super fun so I'm definitely in for more

• Love 2

@TJtrack99, yes the Haunted Mansion one that Al mentions, and there was one other I have to go back and find...

Well I thought the Haunted Mansion actually might have been the clue.

No, in 2 posts I made sure to use both the words "large" and "small" (including some hey-these-seem-odd-to-me phrasing choices), leaving out medium. 

Maybe this explains why nobody ever gets my clues ;-)

• Love 2

No, in 2 posts I made sure to use both the words "large" and "small" (including some hey-these-seem-odd-to-me phrasing choices), leaving out medium.

... Yeah I missed that and I DID know who you were lol TJ ur too intuitive with ur clues ..KISS! (Love a good Office reference)

Well, I didn't pick up on your clues, but as we were getting ready to kill you I did remark on your power in the villain chat:

I just heard back

Tj is a medium

Must be nice to be an ectomorph..

So far as who has previously modded, I'm tempted to say that all the records are lost. But, of the people here, I did one years ago with the help of a co-writer, @caprice has modded, @HelenaHandbasket has... I'm not sure if @SVNBob has.

Regardless of who's up next, here's the signup sheet (I'm grabbing everyone who has said something that sounded like wanting into the next game, so please correct if I'm wrong; I also only went back to the end of the game, so I didn't catch anyone who mentioned they wanted in before that):

1. @Athena
  2. @egavasc
  3. @Lisin
  4. @RebelliousAngel
  5. @photo fox
  6. @The Crazed Spruce
  7. @BizBuzz
  8. MarkHB
  • Love 4
(edited)

Ok, so all the PMs are out now. And I decided, since I just realized this is going to be a very large round, I'm just going to jump right into the day instead of worrying about a prologue. The first day will be out either tonight, or tomorrow morning. I don't want to make promises on when it'll for sure come out, but hopefully very soon.

In the meantime, I'm here for any questions about the game, your PMs or anything else! Just message me!

Edited by jessied112
  • Love 3

Day 1: The Walking Dead

It was supposed to be just another normal day in Mystic Falls. Elena was moping around the Salvatore mansion, staring longingly at pictures of her dead boyfriend and her dead best friend. Things weren't supposed to turn out this way, she thought. The air felt chilly as she sat on the couch, her head tilted as her eyes kept staring at the pictures. She barely heard her brother and her ex, Stefan, come in until a hand was placed on her shoulder. "Elena," Jeremy murmured as he sat beside her. She barely glanced at him as she tried to tune him out. "You haven't eaten in hours. Come on, you need some food," he murmured. Elena shook her head, even as Stefan sat on the other side, grabbing her arm lightly. "I miss him too, but you know we can't bring him, or Bonnie back," Stefan said gently. Elena finally turned to him, tears in her eyes. "Well, why not? It's been done plenty of times! Look at how many times Jer has cheated death! How we all have!" she cried out. Stefan just let out a sigh as he faced the pictures away from Elena as he gently pulled her up.

"We don't have a witch to do those things anymore. Besides, you're right. We have cheated death too many times and look where it's gotten us," he reminded her. Elena just pouted but leaned against Stefan. "I just miss him so much," she said as the tears started streaming down her face. Jeremy let out a frustrated sigh from behind her. "I miss Bonnie too," he told her. Elena turned to Jeremy then, surely opening up her mouth to express that her hurt was more important, when a crash from outside sounded. All three jumped to their feet suddenly, ears on alert. "What do you guys hear?" Jeremy asked as the two vampires listened carefully. Stefan frowned as he started heading to the door as the knocking started. Opening, he frowned as he saw the two women standing on the doorstep, bloodied and almost half burned. 

"Please, you must help us find Sam and Dean Winchester," the older woman begged.

.-.

Meanwhile in Lebanon, Kansas

"Dean? Dean, where are you?" Sam called throughout the bunker, frustrated. It had barely been a week since he discovered his brother's resurrection into being a demon and he had done so much to keep him safe, but now he was gone, just as he had gone to get food and he was worried about him. He had spent all this time searching for a cure for Dean's condition but he had no luck. And now, Dean was gone, probably answering his calling to the evil side and he couldn't do a thing to stop it. If only him and Dean had sat down to work out their many years of issues earlier. Sam crinkled his nose as he slammed the nearest book off the table, watching it fly halfway across the room and skirted by Castiel's feet. Sam jumped slightly, unaware of the angel's presence until then. "Jesus, Cas, don't scare me like that," he muttered. Cas just frowned a little bit. "I am not Jesus, you know. It's a particularly odd expression that you people use, isn't it?" he mused before he took a few steps forward. "I have had no luck in tracking Dean. It seems it has become harder with his new condition blocking my powers." 

"Great, just great," Sam muttered as he clenched his fist, starting to pace the room. It was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. He was so obsessed with finding Dean's cure that he hadn't thought of building stronger traps for him to not escape out of. He just needed his brother back. "Is Crowley having any luck with finding him?" Sam asked hopefully. With a shake of Cas' head, Sam lowered his shoulders, feeling dejected. He sat down at the table, burying his face in his hands. "How are we ever going to find him now?" Sam asked loudly. Suddenly, a familiar voice spoke lowly, causing his head to pop up. "Well, if you weren't such idjits toward each other, this might not be happening." Sam's eyes fell upon two familiar figures, both staring at him with judgemental eyes. "Bobby? Kevin?"

.-.

Somewhere in Wisconsin

The two lonely figures walked along the empty dirt road, searching for a road to turn on. The two were pretty dirty and messy, their movements slow and uneasy. Damon let out a tired sigh as he turned to Bonnie, who looked just as tired. "Where are we, witch?" he asked. Bonnie just glared at her companion and didn't say a word. Don't speak, she thought. It would make the process as painless as possible. Damon resorted to nudging her, and doing it again until Bonnie grew fed up. She stopped in her tracks, spinning toward him as she shoved him into a tree. "I don't know where we are, no I don't know how to get home, and no my powers are not working at the moment," she snapped. Damon held his hands up mockingly. "Fine, fine, I get it. Not a good mood to coming back from the dead," he murmured. Bonnie just shook her head as she kept walking. "I don't even know if we're alive or not. This feels real, but it could still be the Other Side," she said. Damon shook his head, laughing a bit. "Listen, Princess, I have not been to the Other Side as much as you have been, but you even said this felt different and real, and it doesn't look very empty. See? Look, chipmunk," he pointed out a running creature. 

Bonnie shrugged lightly. "So, why don't you explain why we're in the middle of the woods, probably far from home, when we died in Mystic Falls? Really, I'm all ears," she said sarcastically. Damon thought before shrugging. "I don't have those answers. But why don't we focus on finding some people who can tell us where we are?" he asked. Bonnie finally nodded, gritting her teeth. "Fine, and why don't we stay as quiet as possible? I have a headache," she answered. Damon held up his hands once more, nodding. "Fine by me."

.-.

In a dark, abandoned warehouse

Two, beady eyes popped out from the darkness, focused on a male sitting in a chair, hands tied up. The poor human looked around, fear instilled as the smell of sewer and death penetrated the room. "Please, help me," he cried out. The monster was staring at him and it was most unpleasant. Finally he stepped out of the shadows and the poor boy looked surprised; he looked so normal, so friendly. He just smirked as he walked to the tied up boy, bending down to look at him. "Why, hello there," he drawled out, his mouth curved into a sinister smile. "Just let me go. Please, I won't tell anyone that I was with you, whoever you are," he begged. The person in question just shook his head, his hand reaching out to stroke his cheek lightly. The boy flinched, trying to look away but unable to do so. "There, there, don't be afraid. I have a surprise for you. A friend on mine wants to say hello," he soothed before straightening up, turning and whistling lightly. "Come out and play, my pet," he called. Seconds later, a second figure emerged, his black eyes staring at the play toy in the chair. "Have some fun, dear Winchester." In response, the boy screamed as the oldest Winchester wildly lunged at him from the darkness.

.-.

The Living:

Athena

stacey
egavasc
Lisin
RebelliousAngel
photo fox
The Crazed Spruce
BizBuzz
MarkHB
TJtrack99
CuriousParker
Dougal
TMunz
SVNBob
JayKay

Ok, so that's Day 1, y'all. There is one clue in the story, just to start us all off. I'll give it some time, I'll say roughly 48 HOURS to discuss, lynch, do whatever. 

• Love 1

Yeah, the tracking thing made me perk up, too. But then @CuriousParker dropped the chipmunk research and whoa. I also thought maybe it could be Lisin because of the "Princess," and she's Wonder Woman, Princess of Themyscira. But now that seems too obvious. Also considered it was BizBuzz because she has a crown in her icon. I don't trust any of my clue interpretations since I could even link it to me, since Alvin is the most famous chipmunk and he wears an "A" which rhymes with both syllables in my name. But I know that it's not me, so.

I'm basically sleeping with a knife under my pillow tonight.

• Love 2

I'm going to do what I usually do when I don't know the shows in question: try to put together a list of the characters in the story so we can get a handle on who's who, and add up what we're dealing with.

"The Walking Dead"

• Elena
  • Stefan
  • Jeremy
  • Mystery woman #1
  • Mystery woman #2

Lebanon, Kansas

• Sam Winchester
  • Castiel
  • Bobby
  • Kevin
  • Crowley?

Wisconsin

• Bonnie
  • Damon

Dark warehouse

• Dean Winchester
  • Mysterious other
  • Captive boy

Nicely enough, that makes 15 characters for 15 players!  Now we just need to figure out the alignments and whether there's a SK involved.

• Love 4

I can assure you, there will be no track clues in this game, as I am a Hero. As for what I think:

-Turning the pictures around (in the first paragraph) could be a sneaky clue for egavasc, whose name is backwards.

-There are a few mentions of food/hunger, but I'm not sure who that'd point to

-Princess and chipmunk both stood out to me as well, though I'm also not sure about them

-The Other Side was capitalized, which means it's probably a reference from a show. But just in case, well, there are a lot of possibilities. The one I know best is the Aerosmith song, and they do have another big single titled Angel.

I'm with Mark in not totally understanding who everyone is or their alignment. The Night 1 story should be helpful for that.

• Love 2

I can help a bit with The Vampire Diaries characters;

• Elena - ostensible heroine (*snort*) of TVD, teenager who is now a vampire
  • Stefan - one of the Salvatore brothers, who was Elena's boyfriend off and on; vampire, around 160-170 years old
  • Jeremy - Elena's brother, who has indeed died a bunch of times. Not a vampire, actually a vampire hunter. But good friends with some vampires.
  • Bonnie - Elena's best friend, who is a witch.
  • Damon - the other Salvatore brother, who has ALSO been Elena's boyfriend off and on; also a vampire, and slightly older then Stefan

At the end of last season (long story short here), Bonnie and Damon apparently became trapped on The Other Side, and are presumed dead. They don't like each other very much.

• Love 1

Hmmmm, one has to wonder why one would choose to sleep with a knife under their pillow. I mean, that is a little drastic, no? Baseball bat maybe, but knife? A knife would produce blood, and after all, we are talking about vampires, is there some hidden agenda with choosing a knife?

• Love 1
(edited)

I promise if Princess is a clue it's not for me! I'm a hero! 

Wisconsin stands out for me, only because Lebenon Kansas is a legit location in Supernatural and Mystic Falls is a real place on TVD but Wisconsin is nowhere near normal for TVD and we've got two characters from TVD wandering around there. I don't know if the actual clue is Wisconsin (or what that would even mean) but I'm betting the clue is in that part of the story. Since I know Princess doesn't refer to me, it could be BizBuzz because of the crown (even though it stands for the Queen of likes! Love you Biz!) however I'll say that "Princess" is kind of standard Damon speak so it didn't stand out to me at all on first pass. It could be pointing to the chipmunk thing, which did stick out to me, but I'm not sure what it all means! Wah! 

ETA that Tracking thing is appealing too... hmm. Maybe my Wisconsin theory is crazy. 

Edited by Lisin

ETA that Tracking thing is appealing too... 

I mean, I know I write clues that are too hard, but Castiel just actually says the word "tracking." That's a little too obvious to be a clue. And it's not like needing to find someone would be odd in the story.

Pshaw! I'm just trying to be friendly! I've never played this before so I don't want to get off on the wrong foot :)

I'm into my Wisconsin theory. However it's useless as I have no clue where it points (aside from Spruce) which maybe is SO mean that it's true? 

Hey now, baseball bats are lumpy. And mine's made of wood. Which kills vampires, and I think that some of them in the game are supposed to be heroes. Surely you aren't implying that it's worth the risk of staking some innocent hero, @BizBuzz!

I just have to jump in here and say I have SOOOO many things I want to say right now to all of you, but I can't, so I'm jotting them down for the end of the round.

Other than that, I'm happy it's only been one day and it's going far better than I'd ever expect. So, carry on!

• Love 1

...which was apparently our cue to stop the discussion?  :)

In looking at the Wisconsin Chipmunks page, and resisting the siren call of Wisconsin's more famous animal, I noticed that one of the predators listed was the red fox, and since we don't see anyone named Sanford, or even Fred, in the player list I have to wonder if it's pointing to @photo fox.

• Love 3

Now, now, I'm a hero! Chipmunks are squirrels, and have nothing in common with us foxes.

The chipmunk's most prominent feature is its stripes. Bees are also striped, which makes me think of @BizBuzz. Plus, she'd fit the princess clue, with the crown and all. Sorry, biz!

Geesh - paranoia is running rampant.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

So wood seems to be a general topic around these parts.  As much as I hate it for @The Crazed Spruce , there has to be something to it.  It might surprise you that chipmunks like to chew wood.  Maybe that is a backhanded way of saying something about what has happened, or is going to happen to TCS?  (So sorry dude, you know how I feel about you!)

Calling all heroes, are we going to David Lynch today or wait for our next clue?  Our window is closing today, right?

Well, typically we go No Lynch on Day 1 anyway. But I have liked all the clue discussion.

I just have to jump in here and say I have SOOOO many things I want to say right now to all of you, but I can't, so I'm jotting them down for the end of the round.

The curse of the mod - seeing exactly what's happening and not saying anything about it! Enjoy!! ;-)

I don't think I want to lynch on the first day. And I can't tell if TCS' unconvincing response to the accusations [;)] is because he's actually a villain or because he's got first man down fatigue and has bleakly already accepted death. Doesn't seem right.

There's also the possibility that since there's only one clue, Wisconsin and chipmunk combined would count as two.

I don't know why, but the whole wood thing keeps nipping at me. 

So I have done some investigating on @Athena

She is the goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, just warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.  However, there is a story that when she competed with Poseidon to be the deity of Athens, her offering to the people was the first domesticated olive tree.  This brought wood, oil and food.  Hmmmmm ...

Also, did you know that Athena was responsible for the construction of the Trojan Horse?  A little misdirection much?