Type keyword(s) to search

Good Eats: The Return - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Alton is selling his own blend of coffee beans called "multitasker" and recently put a video of his brewing process on youtube.

I find it rather funny because the burr grinder he uses in his process is itself a rather expensive unitasker.

I know a lot of people swear by their high quality fresh ground beans and all, but as someone whose method is dumping some pre-ground coffee from a can into a drip machine and pushing a button I'm always a bit bemused by the effort that goes into getting his morning fix.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Alton announcing the Food Network airings of previously streaming exclusive episodes:

So maybe streaming isn’t going as well as expected?

I will not ever pay for Discovery+ or any other streaming service. I pay enough as it is just for my cable service. I think all these streaming services are nothing more than greed to get more $$ from us....

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, b2H said:

Perhaps, but I also think it's that regular Food Network's ratings have plummeted so they've resorted to putting more stuff back on there.  They did this with "Restaurant Impossible" too.  Fans bitched when the network announced that it was going over to Discovery+ exclusively for new episodes and with the fall in network ratings overall they made the decision to bring it and "Good Eats" back.

I always thought putting fan favorite shows over there exclusively was a bad idea.  My father always used to say that you shouldn't be in competition with yourself or you'll put yourself out of business, which is what they were actually doing.  If their regular cable ratings were that high that they could afford to do that they might get away with it, but they're not.

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I will not ever pay for Discovery+ or any other streaming service. I pay enough as it is just for my cable service. I think all these streaming services are nothing more than greed to get more $$ from us....

I got it free for 6 months with Verizon but it just expired and I'm not going to renew it.  I never watched it anyway.  I did watch those "Good Eats" episodes but that was about it.

Edited by Yeah No
(edited)

I never deleted my record settings, so I had these on the DVR.  Of the two, I enjoyed cold brew better- marrow is tasty, but actually watching an entire episode of cooking it was a bit much.  I did like the idea of using silicone molds for panna cotta - I have one remarkably similar to the one he used, but mine is for football shaped jello.

But, as someone who has finally discovered how I like “normal” hot coffee (2 sugars, skim if I have it, and a few twists from the salt grinder), the cold brew show made me curious to try it.  Maybe I can enjoy it without so much doctoring.  I will probably want to try it at a major national chain shop first- if anyone has recommendations, I’m all ears.

Edited by Chyromaniac
On 6/22/2021 at 9:18 PM, b2H said:

Nope, Dr Pimple Popper already moved back to TV. That was the biggest move when it was launched.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Looks like this really is the end of Good Eats (at least for some time).  Just ahead of the final episode of the season airing on FoodTV, AB made a goodbye post on his FB page:

Tonight at 10pm eastern on Food Network the final new episodes of #GoodEatsTheReturn will air. This is it folks...the big hurrah. 22 years of my life, off and on, and without question the most rewarding work of my career. I thank my crew for their talents and tireless efforts, and to those who have shared my personal life during all the writing and editing, and voice over sessions and late nights and blah blah...thank you for putting up with me. As for the fans...it's been a privilege and I hope the show has brought something positive into your lives and kitchens.

I also thought it vaguely appropriate (especially given the plague) that the final episode was in the dark, post-apocalyptic world that ended the first season of GE:TR.

Edited by QuantumMechanic