Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

@Rinaldo There's been a lot of chatter about Bernadette on BWW for quite some time. In that thread, the most likely names I saw fitting your criteria were Reba McEntire and Dolly Parton but I have no idea how country music artists would sell to a Broadway audience. (Annie Get Your Gun was a while ago, 9 to 5 was a flop, Bright Star was a flop, and the country artists tend to skip NYC when they come to the Northeast. Still, country music fans are a fervent and loyal fan base and they might turn out for the right project.) Queen Latifah kept getting mentioned too but I don't think of her as that old (especially contrasted with Bette) and she never seemed like a very realistic suggestion.

Now I have to decide... should I go see Donna and David Hyde Pierce anyway or just wait for Bernadette and Victor Garber? 

Also, I'm finally going to see War Paint with my mom on Thursday. She came around. Sometimes endless mailers work. ;)

• Love 1

Billy Magnusson is going to be playing an original character in the live action Aladdin movie.  I've liked Billy in a lot of the things I've seen him in, but I have to hesitate about him appearing in Aladdin.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

4 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I've liked Billy in a lot of the things I've seen him in, but I have to hesitate about him appearing in Aladdin

I actually have mixed impressions of him myself -- his "Spike" in the Durang play (seen in the initial try-out at the McCarter) left me feeling that the character hadn't been fully realized, just impersonated. But I thought he was just fine playing a vain pretty-boy on Kimmy Schmidt, and the only thing I had against his performance as the second Prince in the Into the Woods movie was that I yearned to see the originally planned casting, with Chris Pine in that role and Jake Gyllenhaal as Cinderella's Prince.

But if you generally like him, why not Aladdin?

1 hour ago, Rinaldo said:

I actually have mixed impressions of him myself -- his "Spike" in the Durang play (seen in the initial try-out at the McCarter) left me feeling that the character hadn't been fully realized, just impersonated. But I thought he was just fine playing a vain pretty-boy on Kimmy Schmidt, and the only thing I had against his performance as the second Prince in the Into the Woods movie was that I yearned to see the originally planned casting, with Chris Pine in that role and Jake Gyllenhaal as Cinderella's Prince.

But if you generally like him, why not Aladdin?

It's the idea of a pasty white blond guy playing a role in Aladdin.  I liked Billy when he was on "As The World Turns".  That's the first thing I ever saw him in.  He was also good in an episode of "Law & Order".

But I thought he was just fine playing a vain pretty-boy on Kimmy Schmidt

I thought he was fantastic on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I could have done with Russell sticking around for longer. I still haven't watched Into the Woods yet. As for his casting in Aladdin, we don't know what the role is going to be yet, right? Disney likes to keep things in the family and reuse actors once they have a good relationship with them. As long as he doesn't have a huge part (Aladdin's best friend) that stretches believability, I think it's fine. I could easily see him being one of those princes who comes from a far away country to try and marry Jasmine. I didn't know/forgot that Pasek and Paul are teaming up with Alan Menken to write two new songs. They're really getting a lot of work these days. 

http://www.eonline.com/news/878042/will-smith-is-here-to-grant-your-wish-star-shares-first-cast-photo-from-live-action-aladdin-set

• Love 1

Mean Girls, the new musical produced by Lorne Michaels, Stuart Thompson and Paramount Pictures based on the hit film, will open on Broadway this Spring at the August Wilson Theatre (245 West 52nd Street). Previews begin Monday, March 12, 2018 in advance of an official opening night of Sunday, April 8, 2018.

Mean Girls features a book by nine-time Emmy Award winner Tina Fey, based on her screenplay for the film, music by three-time Emmy Award winner Jeff Richmond, and lyrics by Tony Award nominee Nell Benjamin. Tony Award winner Casey Nicholaw directs and choreographs.

The creative team includes Scott Pask (Set Design), Gregg Barnes (Costume Design), Kenneth Posner (Lighting Design), Brian Ronan (Sound Design), Finn Ross & Adam Young (Video Design), Josh Marquette (Hair Design), Milagros Medina-Cerdeira (Make-Up Design), Mary-Mitchell Campbell (Music Director), John Clancy (Orchestrations), Glen Kelly (Dance and Incidental Music Arrangements), Jeff Richmond & Glen Kelly (Additional Music Arrangements), Howard Joines (Music Coordinator) and Telsey + Co / Bethany Knox, CSA (Casting).

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/So-Fetch-MEAN-GIRLS-Sets-Opening-Date-on-Broadway-20170906

Two-time Tony Award winner Donna Murphy, who takes on the role of Dolly Gallagher Levi in the Broadway revival of Hello, Dolly! at select performances (including all Tuesday evenings), will take her final trip down the Harmonia Gardens staircase in January.

Murphy will play her final performance January 9, 2018—the Tuesday before Tony winner Bette Midler's last bow on January 14. Bernadette Peters, who assumes the role beginning January 20, will play all eight shows a week.

Not unexpected, but here's the confirmation.

http://www.playbill.com/article/donna-murphy-sets-last-night-in-hello-dolly-bernadette-peters-to-play-8-performances-a-week

Producers Tim Levy (Director, NT America) and Jordan Roth (President, Jujamcyn Theaters) announced today that the National Theatre Production of Tony Kushner's epic and seminal masterwork, Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, will return to Broadway for the first time since its now-legendary original production opened in 1993. This spectacular new staging of Part One of Angels in America, Millennium Approaches, and of Part Two, Perestroika, had its world premiere earlier this year in a sold-out run at the National Theatre, where it became the fastest selling show in the organization's history.

This strictly limited, 18-week engagement will begin performances at The Neil Simon Theatre on Friday, February 23, 2018, with an official opening on Wednesday, March 21. Starring two-time Tony Award® winner Nathan Lane and Academy Award® and Tony Award nominee Andrew Garfield, the cast of Angels in America will feature fellow original National Theatre cast members Susan Brown, Denise Gough, Amanda Lawrence, James McArdle, and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett. (Additional casting will be announced shortly.) Two-time Tony Award winner Marianne Elliott (War Horse, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time) directs. Elliott & Harper, the new production company set up by Marianne Elliott and Chris Harper, joins as a producer on the show.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Nathan-Lane-Led-ANGELS-IN-AMERICA-Set-for-Limited-Run-on-Broadway-Next-February-20170907

Back from War Paint... scattered thoughts

I didn't expect to be so taken with them but it felt like a distinct privilege to see Patti Lupone and Christine Ebersole perform. I teared up (just the tiniest bit) at each of their entrances without knowing why. There was just a magic in the air. Christine was fantastic, of course, but Patti was exceptional. I can't believe she said she's retiring from musicals. Her voice is still so good! The breath control from both of them. The belting. I'm more familiar with Patti. I'd say her accent/singing was 50% Pal Joey, 25% Sweeney Todd, and 25% Evita, Helena Rubenstein, etc. I consider myself pretty good at deciphering accents (and I resent those Forbidden Broadway jokes) but I did miss words and phrases here and there, particularly in the early songs. 

The costumes! LOVED THEM. This is a show that deserves a coffee table book. I didn't have as much of a chance to look at the sets. I was either looking at Christine, Patti, or the clothes. 

The ensemble seems to have decent dancers but what little choreography was in the show was weak. While parts of Act I were more fun, with the movement, I actually became more aware of how static things seemed at times. 

I think I've said this before but now that I've seen the show, I can confirm it... this is very much like what I imagine Bombshell would be like on stage. There are a lot of character-driven songs more than plot-driven songs. It's never boring but sometimes it's hard to hang on to the driving force of the story. And while the transitions aren't jarring, the way the show jumps from scene to scene doesn't really give you a chance to breathe. You're invested in one character song (and with Patti sometimes trying to understand the lyrics from context clues) and then suddenly you launch into a different one with Christine. I didn't think any of the music was terrible but it was variable. All of the "advertising" songs were decent from the one at Arden's salon to the Revlon Fire & Ice. The character-songs varied. I think I liked the last few songs better than Face to Face though it ends on a high. I loved the way Christine's belt came out for Pink and the way her Edie growl came out when she was mocking the heads of other brands from Queens and NJ. The songs trying to tackle female empowerment/feminism/whether women can "have it all" came across as the clumsiest. Again, they never lost my attention but I don't know where they were going with "If I'd Been A Man." It was too much to suddenly pack into one song. It wasn't a pacing issue but I felt sometimes that difficult issues needed more time to be teased out instead of all the reminders that Arden was Canadian and loved horses. I got it the first 4 times. The FDA/court case gave the show some real momentum for a moment but then that was lost. Their "war efforts" felt like a weird digression. The show didn't make a compelling argument for why that was significant. I didn't really get Arden sort of mentoring the Fire & Ice girl only for her to stay with that guy. It didn't feel like a plot that was meant to go anywhere except as a way for a well-constructed musical to introduce a character who would later set up how these two women refused to bow to trends to their detriment. I also would have liked to know more about Helena's philanthropy and Arden's history with the suffragettes. I do appreciate that they touched on how they both catered to women and manipulated them and perpetuated beauty ideals while paving the way for female business entrepreneurs but, you know, more of that would have been nice. They also didn't quite reconcile the ways in which they reinforced patriarchal gender norms while challenging them and sometimes when the songs put more overtly feminist things in these characters' mouths, it felt more like the writers talking than the characters. I know people complained about the guys, but I thought they were fine. They were good in their parts and they were there to support the story of these two women. Maybe other audience members are just not used to seeing that? Dinosaurs was one of my least favorite songs but my mom liked it. I preferred the Douglas Sills character to the husband character. 

I was surprised at all the humor. It didn't all land with me. Humor rarely does. I'm a harsh judge. But most of it did. A lot of it was Patti's delivery. She's marvelous. Someone should write her one of those TV shows where people trade sass and wit and barbs. 

It's disappointing the audience skews so much older and really not very racially diverse at all. There were some empty seats in the orchestra and I didn't check out the mezz. I don't know why this show doesn't appeal to more people, especially as interest in the beauty industry has hardly abated. 

@Silver Raven Warn me when it's a NYT article. I'm going to hit that paywall. :)

• Love 3
On 9/5/2017 at 10:14 PM, Rinaldo said:

They did very well to get Bernadette for their next Dolly. My friends and I had been wondering if there was a "lady of a certain age" who was comparable in selling power to Midler (plenty of people mean a lot to theater fanatics and nothing to the wider public), and had the right qualities for Dolly (particularly in this production which for all its color and pizazz is very much on the personal, human scale). They made the perfect choice.

Clearly, I'm going to need to get over some negative feelings about Bernadette. They stem from when I saw her in the Chicago tryout for The Goodbye Girl musical. She was an unhappy camper (the show wasn't great) but that wasn't the problem; the problem was that she let the audience know she was an unhappy camper. Martin Short, on the other hand, gave the show his all and was a charming presence. You could see him struggling against her to give the audience the show it deserved. 

I'd probably be a happier camper if I could forgive her for that, so I have some work to do.

• Love 1

I'm not surprised Bernadette is the new Dolly, but there's been a lot of talk online about the condition of her voice. Back in 2012 when she was doing Follies she could sing the part very well but there was definitely a sort of raspiness there and a sense that she was straining. I hope before agreeing to do eight shows a week she and a vocal coach found a healthy place for her instrument to operate from. I definitely don't want her to go the route of Alice Ripley, who sadly doesn't seem to have much of a voice left after all that Next to Normal required of her.

Some were hoping for LuPone - I'm not sure she'd take a replacement gig or even be an ideal fit as Dolly, but she'd certainly sing it gloriously.

I finally got around to watching Dear Evan Hansen and I have to say that as much as I enjoyed Ben Platt's performance, the whole plot felt really simple. There didn't seem to be much of a subplot going on in the show other than his strained relationship with his mom. The whole thing kind of felt like an after-school special and I wasn't expecting that, given all the buzz the show had. He definitely gave a terrific performance and I was really impressed with his vocal ability but the show wasn't so impressive to me. It was just fine. Some good music but again, a pretty basic plot to fill two acts.

Which you think stands more of a chance of being made: the Sunset Boulevard movie musical starring Glenn Close or the Gypsy movie musical starring Barbra Streisand?

I would assume Sunset Boulevard, but I definitely think Glenn is way too old for the part and doesn't really do the score much justice. I'm not even really a fan of her acting. She won the Tony for the way she played Norma back in the 90's but then the performance in the revival seemed heavily influenced by Betty Buckley's Norma. Glenn played Norma completely differently this time and yet people were going to see her because she was the Tony winner from the 90's. Isn't that kind of disingenuous? A bait and switch?

It makes me wonder what kind of Norma she'd bring to the big screen.

Of course on the flip side, Barbra Streisand has been working on this Gypsy project for years and probably already has her vocals recorded so all that needs to happen is for her to show up on the set and then to pull some CGI wizardry after the fact to make her look younger in the earlier parts of the movie. She can just mime along to the tracks she recorded 10 years ago. I really doubt anyone would hold it against her. Casting all the other parts would be a bit of a nightmare though....

Lynne Meadow (Artistic Director) and Barry Grove (Executive Producer) have announced that Manhattan Theatre Club will produce a new Broadway production of Saint Joan, written by Nobel Prize in Literature and Academy Award winner Bernard Shaw and directed by Tony Award winner Daniel Sullivan (Lillian Hellman's The Little Foxes, Proof), starring three-time Tony Award nominee Condola Rashad (A Doll's House, Part 2, "Billions").

Saint Joan will begin previews Tuesday, April 3, 2018 ahead of a Wednesday, April 25, 2018 opening night at MTC's Samuel J. Friedman Theatre (261 West 47th Street).

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/SAINT-JOAN-Starring-Condola-Rashad-Will-Bring-Religious-Icon-to-Broadway-This-Spring-20170912

I watched the filmed on stage Newsies film on Netflix yesterday and I came away kinda meh about that show. I had only heard the big songs from the show so a lot of it was new. The dancing was first rate and Jeremy Jordan did a great job (as usual). I wasn't all that into the unnecessary romance between his character and Kara Lindsay's character but he did a good job selling it. Her, not so much. I had never really seen Kara Lindsay performing before, and I wasn't all that impressed. She stuck out as much too modern rather than a 1899 woman, even one who was a career girl.  

1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

I watched the filmed on stage Newsies film on Netflix yesterday and I came away kinda meh about that show. 

I missed it when it was in theaters (both times!) so thanks for letting us know that it's on Netflix now!

I will always have a soft spot for Jeremy Jordan because of Smash and I remember loving the original Newsies movie so I am looking forward to watching this!

• Love 3

Mean Girls. Get ready. I figured Tina Fey would also write the lyrics too (who understands these characters and this story more than the screenwriter herself?) but she's only writing the book. I suppose writing broadway lyrics isn't something she's used to? But she did write lyrics for songs in 30 Rock. 

Edited by JustaPerson

But the songs in 30 Rock had only to be embodiments of various kinds of existing songs she wanted to satirize; they didn't have to embody genuine character and situation. That's a particular discipline all its own (as many a newcomer has failed to realize), so I salute her for her humility and good sense.

• Love 1

I think it's a great idea that Tina Fey didn't decide to write the lyrics. The songs in 30 Rock/Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt serve their purposes but I have much more faith in Nell Benjamin than Tina Fey or her husband in writing lyrics. I'm trying to hope for the best as far as the music goes. I think he does pastiche pretty well but he's never written a melody that's really grabbed me as something that proves he'd be able to write a great score. I'd be much more enthusiastic about Mean Girls if say, someone from the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend team was responsible for the music and lyrics. That said, from that one promo clip, Taylor and Ashley seem to be decent casting. Of course it's Broadway and people are often cast older (except for maybe Spring Awakening, Billy Elliot, etc.) but I can suspend my disbelief enough to buy them as high school students about to go to college. The girl playing Karen reads older though. Maybe it's just that she reminds me of Sherie Rene Scott.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Amazon Original Series THE ROMANOFFS , co-produced with Weinstein Television and created, written, directed and executive produced by nine-time Emmy award winner Matthew Weiner (Mad Men), has added Andrew Rannells, Corey Stoll, Paul Reiser, Janet Montgomery, Mike Doyle and JJ Feild to its slate of guest stars joining the series. The Romanoffs is a one-hour contemporary anthology series set around the globe featuring separate stories about people who believe themselves to be DESCENDANTS of the Russian royal family. Weiner is set to direct all episodes. Eckhart joins recently announced Academy Award nominee Isabelle Huppert (Elle), Golden Globe nominee Marthe Keller (Marathon Man), Emmy nominated Christina Hendricks (Mad Men), Emmy nominated John Slattery (Mad Men), Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire), and Amanda Peet (Togetherness). The series will debut on Prime Video in the U.S. next year.

Hrm. Okay...?

Friday, October 20, 9 pm-12 am ET
Roundabout Theatre Company’s acclaimed revival of She Loves Me at Studio 54 starring Zachary Levi. Along with Tony winners Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski and Gavin Creel Get your VANILLA ICE CREAM ready and experience the romance of this iconic Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick comedy classic. This was the revival that made Broadway history as the first ever ON BROADWAY show that was livestreamed.

Friday, October 27, 9:00-11:30 p.m. ET
The acclaimed 5 time Tony nominated Lincoln Center Theater revival of Falsettos on Broadway at the Walter Kerr Theatre starring 2 time Tony winner Christian Borle along with Tony nominees Andrew Rannells and Stephanie J. Block. Get ready to laugh and cry as we visit the life of a dysfunctional Jewish MODERN FAMILY set at the cusp of the emerging AIDS crisis.

Friday, November 3, 9 pm ET
This year’s acclaimed revival of Noël Coward’s Present Laughter at the St. James Theatre starring this year’s Tony winning Best Actor in a Play himself Kevin Kline. Get ready for an evening of laughter as we explore the life of a self-obsessed actor about to embark on a commitment tour in Africa.

Friday, November 17, 9-10:30 pm ET
Pulitzer Prize winner Paula Vogel’s acclaimed Award winning smash hit play Indecent on Broadway starring Katrina Lenk at the Cort Theatre. In this powerful and inspirational play about how art is so important, go behind the scenes of Sholem Asch’s controversial drama God of Vengeance on it’s road from Europe to Broadway (which on it’s Opening Night all the actors got arrested).

Friday, November 24, 9-11:30 pm ET
Roundabout Theatre Company’s acclaimed Broadway premiere production of Irving Berlin’s Holiday Inn at Studio 54. Get ready for a night of romance, thrills, and spectacular staging in this acclaimed production starring Tony nominee Bryce Pinkham and High School Musical favorite Corbin Bleu.

Yesssssss... Jesus Christ, finally. 

http://newyorkbroadwaytours.com/pbs-announces-airdates-for-broadways-falsettos-indecent-holiday-inn-more/

• Love 2

Speaking of The Goodbye Girl (which I was on September 10)...My iPod decided to play a song from the score the other day: Martin Short performing "I Think I Can Play This Part." The lyric, by David Zippel, is characteristically ingenious--it develops the conceit that Short (who plays a struggling actor) is auditioning for the real-life role of Dad to the young fatherless girl (who, in effect, implicitly assumes the role of a director or casting director). The music by Marvin Hamlisch is lovely, serving the tender lyric perfectly, and the ingenuity of the execution serves to make one wish Zippel were heard from more often. (The warmth and sense of commitment from Short also offers everything that Bernadette Peters' performance didn't, even given that her character is meant to be defensive for most of the show.)

Edited by Milburn Stone

The dancing was first rate and Jeremy Jordan did a great job (as usual). I wasn't all that into the unnecessary romance between his character and Kara Lindsay's character but he did a good job selling it. Her, not so much. I had never really seen Kara Lindsay performing before, and I wasn't all that impressed. She stuck out as much too modern rather than a 1899 woman, even one who was a career girl.

I only watched the bootleg of the show but I remember also feeling very underwhelmed with Kara as the journalist girlfriend. I don't even remember if it was a role in the original movie but she felt pretty superfluous to the plot.

What did you think of the staging of the strike? That was one part of the show that really left me cold. Every other scene in the production had what felt like at least 20 or 30 guys jumping around and dancing all at the same time, but for the big scene where we were supposed to feel the impact of thousands of Newsies striking in New York and filling up the streets, all we get to see is a couple of heads behind a tiny fence? It just seems like a really big missed opportunity for the moment in the story that everyone shows up curious about.

Here's the 1st San Diego review of Benny and Joon which is very positive.

https://timesofsandiego.com/arts/2017/09/17/terrific-transition-from-movie-to-musical-benny-and-joon-at-old-globe/

Photos here:  https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-First-Look-at-BENNY-AND-JOON-The-Musical-at-The-Old-Globe-20170913

I have several friends who have seen it and liked it.  One said this: "It was very charming and the singing and acting was well done. I don't feel it's Broadway bound without taking out some of the songs. I told the Globe ,in my questionnaire, that there were too many songs. Some were great, others were not and this made the musical seem to drag a bit. I loved the original movie, and this was true to it as well."  I won't be seeing it till towards the end of the run on October 11th which is when I'll express my feelings about it. 

Edited by dbklmt
  • Love 1

Complete cast for Bright Star tour announced

As previously announced, Carmen Cusack, who earned a Tony nomination for her work in the original Broadway production, will reprise her performance in the central role of Alice Murphy.

Several original Broadway cast members will reunite with Cusack for the Los Angeles run including Jeff Blumenkrantz, A.J. Shively, Allison Briner-Dardenne, Patrick Cummings, Stephen Lee Anderson, Maddie Shea Baldwin, Patrick Cummings, Max Chernin, and Richard Gatta.

New to the production are David Atkinson, Jeff Austin, Kaitlyn Davidson, Devin Archer, Kelly Baker, Audrey Cardwell, Robin De Lano, David Kirk Grant, Donna Louden, Kevin McMahon, Alessa Neeck, Robert Pieranunzi, and Michael Starr.

“Live from Lincoln Center” Will Air Broadway Shows

If you missed some of Broadway’s recent hit shows in the theatre, don’t worry—you can still catch them on TV! PBS has announced airdates for its upcoming series Broadway’s Best on PBS, which includes recent Broadway productions taped in their entirety. Each presentation takes place on a Friday evening. Check local listings for details.

The airdates and times are as follows:

She Loves Me
October 20, 9-11:30pm
Laura Benanti, Zachary Levi, Jane Krakowski, and Gavin Creel star in the classic Harnick & Bock musical comedy romance set in a Budapest perfumery.

Falsettos
October 27, 9-11:30pm
Christian Borle, Andrew Rannells, and Stephanie J. Block star in the William Finn/James Lapine musical that takes a hilarious and poignant look at middle-class family dynamics revolving around the life of a gay man, his wife, his lover, his soon-to-be bar mitzvahed son, their psychiatrist, and the lesbians next door.

Present Laughter
November 3, 9-11:30pm
The Noël Coward comedy stars Kevin Kline as a self-obsessed actor in the midst of a mid-life crisis. Juggling his considerable talent, ego and libido, this leading man suddenly finds himself caught between fawning ingénues, crazed playwrights, secret trysts and unexpected twists. With Kate Burton, Kristine Nielsen, and Cobie Smulders.

In the Heights: Chasing Broadway Dreams
November 10, 9-10pm
An encore presentation of a documentary chronicling the story behind In the Heights,  Lin-Manuel Miranda's first Tony Award-winning hit in 2008.

Indecent
November 17, 9-11pm
Paula Vogel and director Rebecca Taichman's drama inspired by the true story of the controversial 1923 Broadway debut of Sholem Asch's God of Vengeance.

Irving Berlin's Holiday Inn
November 24, 9-11:30pm:
The story of Jim Pinkham, who leaves the bright lights of show business behind to settle down on his farmhouse in Connecticut…but life just isn’t the same without a bit of song and dance.  Starring Bryce Pinkham, Corbin Bleu, Lora Lee Gayer, and Megan Sikora.

PBS has also announced that their 2018 Live from Lincoln Center series will feature four episodes centered around performances by Broadway favorites Stephanie J. Block, Sutton Foster, Leslie Odom Jr., and Andrew Rannell sat The Appel Room at Jazz at Lincoln Center. The tapings take place in December. Get more information at LincolnCenter.org

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

The new Broadway musical, War Paint, which stars Broadway legends and two-time Tony Award winners Patti LuPoneand Christine Ebersole together for the first time, will play its final performance on Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 8:00pm. Upon closing, the musical will have played 300 regular and 33 preview performances at the Nederlander Theatre (208 West 41st Street).

And... it happened. Disappointing. It wasn't a terrible show. The audience just wasn't there for it. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com//article/WAR-PAINT-Will-Put-its-Best-Face-Forward-For-the-Final-Time-this-December-Closing-Announced-20170921

• Love 1

The Daily Mail's Baz Bamigboye reports that WAR PAINT's Patti LuPone will star as 'Joanne' in COMPANY when it hits the West End next autumn.

The news comes on the heels of WAR PAINT's Broadway closing notice earlier today.

LuPone told the Mail she is doing the show because of Marianne Elliot, adding "She's a visionary."

She will star opposite Rosalie Craig in the musical, beginning performances at the Gielgud Theatre on September 26, 2018 via Elliott & Harper Productions.

COMPANY centers on commitment-phobe 'Bobby,' the five married couples who are his best friends, and his three girlfriends. For this production, the character of 'Bobby' will be changed to 'Bobbie' - to be played by Craig - and the "Barcelona" number will feature 'Andy' instead of 'April.'

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Ladies-Will-Be-Lunching-in-London-Patti-LuPone-Rosalie-Craig-to-Lead-COMPANY-in-the-West-End-20170921

11 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Wow, I can remember when Ashley Parker Angel was on "Making the Band", when they were putting together the boy band O-Town. he's from Redding, a small town in Northern California, not far from where I grew up.

Yes, O-Town! I still remember their big hit "All or Nothing"!

• Love 1

The Color Purple tour cast & tour dates announced

Producers announced the first North American tour and full casting of the Tony Award-winning Broadway revival of THE COLOR PURPLE. Performances will begin October 7, 2017 in Schenectady, New York at Proctors and the tour will have its official opening October 17, 2017 in Baltimore, Maryland at The Hippodrome Theatre. The tour will visit more than 30 cities in its first year on tour. Check out a complete tour route for the 2017-18 season below!

Cast members from the 2016 Broadway revival lead the touring company, including Adrianna Hicks (Aladdin, Sister Act - Germany) as Celie, Carla R. Stewart (Ghost - National Tour, Rent - Regional) as Shug Avery and Carrie Compere (Holler If You Hear Me, Shrek the Musical - National Tour) as Sofia.

They will be joined by Gavin Gregory (The Color Purple - Revival, The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess) as Mister, N'Jameh Camara (X: Or, Betty Shabazz v. The Nation) as Nettie, J. Daughtry (The Color Purple - Revival, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical) as Harpo, along with Darnell Abraham, Amar Atkins, Kyle E. Baird, Angela Birchett, Jared Dixon, Erica Durham, Bianca Horn, Gabrielle Reid, C.E. Smith, Clyde Voce, Nyla Watson, J.D. Webster, Brit West, Nikisha Williams and Michael Wordly.

Samantha Barks & Steve Kazee to star in Broadway musical verson of Pretty Woman

Producer Paula Wagner announced a new musical based on one of the most beloved romantic comedies of all time, Garry Marshall's Pretty Woman, which will arrive on Broadway following its World Premiere stage production in Chicago in the spring of 2018.

PRETTY WOMAN: THE MUSICAL has original music and lyrics by Grammy Award winner Bryan Adams and his longtime songwriting partner Jim Vallance, book by Garry Marshall and the film's screenwriter J.F. Lawton, is directed and choreographed by two-time Tony Award winner Jerry Mitchell and will begin performances Tuesday, March 13, 2018, for a strictly limited 5-week engagement at Chicago's Oriental Theatre (24 West Randolph Street, Chicago, IL).

PRETTY WOMAN: THE MUSICAL will begin performances on Broadway in the fall of 2018 at a Nederlander Theater to be announced.

I saw Hello Dolly with Bette Midler today. Everyone else was in except one person... I think it was the girl who played Minnie. It was very good but not perfect. Loved the costumes. She can still sing but her tone is different, sometimes unpleasant. I think it felt a little corny/cheesy at times. I'm not sure if that was a matter of performance or direction. It needed to be a little tighter in the choreography and the delivery of some of the jokes. The material isn't that dated but it needed more of a punch. Gavin Creel was the one person I loved completely. He gave 125%. I think if you play it straight, it feels like community theater but if you give it that little extra, it feels like it still has life and it's vital and fresh. It's the difference between doing Fosse choreography lazily and doing it with energy. Everyone in the cast had their moments but it just didn't come together completely the way I wanted it to. Very enjoyable but if I'd paid full price (Bette prices, mind you) I would have been disappointed.

Here to chat if anyone wants to discuss. 

Sooo, somebody emailed me the YouTube of the Cats Tony performance which I don’t think I’ve seen since the 80’s.

All I can say is Bravo La Buckley, her utterance of “look” with the half smile is just, sigh....

And I don’t even like Cats.

YouTube for a musical theatre fan is nirvana.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 1