Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Lincoln Center Theater (under the direction of André Bishop) has announced that Lauren Ambrose will be Eliza Doolittle, Harry Hadden-Paton will be Henry Higgins, Norbert Leo Butz will be Alfred P. Doolittle, and Diana Riggwill be Mrs. Higgins in its upcoming production of Lerner & Loewe's My Fair Lady, directed by Bartlett Sher.

Well... hrm. Wish I were more excited about this.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Casting-Announced-for-MY-FAIR-LADY-at-Lincoln-Center-Ambrose-Hadden-Paton-Butz-Rigg-to-Star-20171005

Going away for the weekend (very soon) so I don't have time to type more. But if you get the chance to see Desperate Measures (it ends its run at the end of October) take it. It's not the best off-Broadway show I've seen. I think they need some time to settle in (there were some flubbed lines) and also find the humor (this is really important, there are moments that work but they're not there yet with the timing and delivery) but the bones of the material are good. It's an adaptation of Measure for Measure set in the Old West that tries to do an approximation of iambic pentameter. Sometimes the rhymes are clever. Sometimes they are tedious. I wish they'd allowed themselves to just write more prose for the latter moments since it doesn't make that big of a difference to the story if everything rhymes. Some light misogyny in the beginning (blaming a woman, some ice princess stuff) but that quickly gives way to a pretty conventional and fairly pleasant farce with two romantic couples. The real reason to see this is the singing. They've assembled a great cast. Baffingly Nick Wyman's first song is in a high key when he has a great lower register but everyone else sounds fantastic the entire time. They are mic-ed but you wouldn't know it in such a small house. Their voices are so clear. Lauren Molina was great as a sort of Ado Annie/hooker with a heart of gold character even if I missed her soprano. The soprano was lovely. The actor playing Johnny Blood was adorably earnest. And I might be in love with Peter Saide again. The priest was good too but that part is weird nonsense. It's not a perfect show but I recommend it for the singing if nothing else.

2 hours ago, bosawks said:

I’m not going to lie every production of My Fair Lady I’ve ever seen has ended with me wanting to stand on my seat and scream, “Eliza, no, you’re ruining your life!”......

Freddie gets screwed.

• Love 1

The Broadway transfer of The Band’s Visit will offer a limited number of rush tickets for every performance, beginning with its October 7 start at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre.

Twenty $40 rush tickets will be made available for each performance on the day of, in person and on a first-come, first-served basis at the Barrymore box office. There is a limit of two tickets per person.

http://www.playbill.com/article/broadways-the-bands-visit-announces-rush-policy

The new Broadway musical, War Paint, which stars Broadway legends and two-time Tony Award winners Patti LuPoneand Christine Ebersole together for the first time, will now play its final performance on Sunday, November 5, 2017.

Originally scheduled to close on December 30, War Paint will close early to allow Ms. LuPone to have necessary and immediate hip replacement surgery. Upon closing, the musical will have played 236 regular and 33 preview performances at the Nederlander Theatre (208 West 41st Street).

"It is with great sadness that I must leave War Paint to undergo hip replacement surgery. For several months I have been performing in a great deal of pain. My producers David Stone and Marc Platt have provided an incredible team who, through physical therapy, chiropractic and acupuncture, have enabled me to continue on stage," said Patti LuPone. "But the pain has now become too intense and I have no other choice but to leave Christine, John, Doug, and this wonderfully supportive company of actors, who I've had the great privilege to work with for over a year. I will miss them more than I can express. "

Very sad. I hope she's back to her old self after her surgery and it relieves some of her pain. I saw the show in early September and there was no sign of her injury. I can't imagine performing at that level while being in that kind of pain and not letting it show at all.

Last Wednesday I saw the musical version of Benny and Joon which aradia22 posted videos earlier in the thread.

Here's one that gives a good overview of what's in the musical with the song being sung the finale for the show and one of the better ones in the score.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=benny+and+joon+the+musical&&view=detail&mid=6A85401D7DFC52AB2C036A85401D7DFC52AB2C03&rvsmid=C5504280F058CF377E50C5504280F058CF377E50&FORM=VDRVRV

You'll also find videos of some of the songs that aradia22 posted but instead of in rehearsals they're from the show and they definitely work much better than those posted earlier.

Here are my thoughts regarding the musical version:

I liked it much better than the last two musicals that I saw at the Old Globe: October Sky (getting ready for a workshop in NYC in November) and Rain with music by John LaChiussa.   Believe it or not I had never seen the film so I watched it on Thursday night and they did a really good job of capturing scenes from the movie (the defense of raisins—“It’s a Shame”, the grilled cheese ballet, Sam’s bread dance, cleaning the house on roller skates and Sam swinging outside the hospital window).  A lot of the dialogue is directly from the film. 

I really enjoyed the four principals, all Broadway vets: Andrew Samonsky (Benny), January LaVoy from Enron (Ruthie) and the standouts being Bryce Pinkham as Sam and Hannah Elless as Joon.  Whenever Bryce Pinkham was on stage the musical came alive!  His physical comedy routines were exceptional and he had me snickering to myself constantly. 

I loved the staging with its wide open and cinematic scope and the use of a vertical artistic city diorama as seen from the air as a proscenium backdrop along with the moving of the sets for whatever they needed from stage left to right by the actors--all shown in the video above.  It was then accentuated with a superb lighting design.  It was refreshing to see NO projections used at all.  When they opened the set in Act 2 to reveal the hospital it was just like the movie bathed in blue and then used again as blue skies for the finale scene. ? ? ?

It's not a big musical and doesn't need to be.  It was amazing that there were only 8 actors plus 2 understudies who did everything in the musical and they were all good!  If this was to ever go to Broadway they wouldn’t need to expand the cast, but they’d definitely need a very small theatre like the Booth or the Cort.

The musical had more story depth than the movie since they expanded on storylines especially Benny and Ruthie, but some of it in my opinion needs to be eliminated since the musical is way too long--2:20.  The musical makes clear that Joon is a functioning schizophrenic, whereas in the movie, it’s not clearly defined.  The death of the parents which we see what happens clearly in the movie and leads to Joon's breakdown is muddled in the musical.  They definitely need to work on that scene as the song doesn't do it justice.

The music was okay but there was too much of it and many times I couldn’t understand what they were saying or why it was important.  The movie only had five songs, all popular hits, and maybe they should have done the same here although each one of the principals got a big song to sing that explained who they were.  The only song that I can remember clearly is “Benny and Joon” which was the 1st song that the composers, Nolan Gasser (music) and Mindi Dickstein (lyrics) who I don’t know wrote and it was definitely an improvement over how it was done in the movie.  The other songs except for Bryce Pinkham’s were mostly forgettable.  There was one a baseball song in the auto shop in Act 2, “Home Run Kings” which was awful and needs to go.

This needs more work but not sure whether it would even sell very well on Broadway to make a profit; maybe off-Broadway and definitely something for regional theatres to do.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

the musical is way too long--2:20.

This seems about standard length to me. Unless (A) it played without intermission, in which case it would indeed be way too long a sit, or (B) it just wasn't gripping or fast-paced enough, so that it seemed to be taking too long, no matter the actual timing.

1 hour ago, Rinaldo said:

This seems about standard length to me. Unless (A) it played without intermission, in which case it would indeed be way too long a sit, or (B) it just wasn't gripping or fast-paced enough, so that it seemed to be taking too long, no matter the actual timing.

Yes, 2:20 is a standard length and there was an intermission so I guess you could pick B for the reason.  There were 24 songs with only two, "Benny & Joon" and "It's A Shame" which were the only ones that were reprised.  Some songs could have been eliminated as they either slowed down the story or like "Home Run Kings" was not needed at all.  The story is strong enough without all those songs and in some ways I'd prefer a play with music rather than a full-fledged musical.  I think you just might see this in NYC off-Broadway in the near future as it was directed by Jack Cummings III who does productions in NYC with Transport Group where it had a production in 2015.  It's also being pushed by the Musical Theatre Festival on New Musicals where it was presented in 2016.       

If you like Broadway showtunes but are OK with them being altered a bit, I highly recommend Billy Porter's new(ish) Richard Rodgers album. Sadly he doesn't sing on many of the tracks. But you do get to hear a lot of Hamilton alums plus other notable black artists from Broadway and popular music. I'd say other than Broadway, it has a hip hop/jazz/R&B vibe. Some tracks are better than others. When he sang Edelweiss at Tracie Thoms' concert I cried but it was just alright on the album. In person he probably sang it more straightforward. I still don't get Pentatonix. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Random question... I would like to dive into opera divas of the past. Joan Sutherland, Leontyne Price, Maria Callas... Where to start? I'm interested in their most notable roles (the ones they received praise for) as well as compilation albums with more accessible arias as I usually won't listen to a whole opera at home. I'll happily watch an opera in the theater but except for the few arias where I really enjoy the melody I miss having the words and being able to understand lyrics of the song and the context in which it's performed in the show.

Edited by aradia22
12 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Random question... I would like to dive into opera divas of the past. Joan Sutherland, Leontyne Price, Maria Callas... Where to start? I'm interested in their most notable roles (the ones they received praise for) as well as compilation albums with more accessible arias as I usually won't listen to a whole opera at home. I'll happily watch an opera in the theater but except for the few arias where I really enjoy the melody I miss having the words and being able to understand lyrics of the song and the context in which it's performed in the show.

Do you want entire performances, or just the arias?  You can find arias on YouTube, but probably not full performances.

Finally got around to listening to the new Sunday in the Park with George album on Spotify (Jake Gyllenhaal/Annaleigh Ashford). I think I probably would have enjoyed the show but I'm OK with not having seen it. I am glad that they recorded the cast so I can experience it in some way.

Annaleigh's humor comes across and I'm curious about her mugging and physicality in person. I'm not quite sure about her Southern accent for Act 2. Is that Cajun? While Annaleigh is a fantastic singer, I did miss Bernadette at times. 

Gyllenhaal sings relatively well. I can hear the influence of Patinkin but he isn't trying to outright mimic him. I think with Patinkin he sounds very effortless even when he's doing things that are difficult (fast patter, going into his upper register, bringing a lot of intensity) which makes him great at parts like Che or George because you're unsettled. You never know what could happen. Gyllenhaal is similar but different. It reminds me of seeing him in Constellations. He was doing a lot, very capably but you could feel the effort. It's like watching two circus acts. With one, you know it's difficult but it's done so smoothly and effortlessly it's almost like magic. Whereas with the other you're impressed with (or perhaps it's impressed upon you) how much effort is put into executing the act.

I do think it sounds a bit... cold and distant compared to the original cast album. I'm not sure if the direction was more... intellectual or it's something in the casting or the orchestrations/production of the album. It was just something I felt. The meaning and themes came through clearer but I lost some passion and poignancy. 

The strong ensemble casting made "Gossip" and "The Day Off" pop. Even "It's Hot Up Here." I'm curious how that was on stage and who specifically was singing. I don't know the voices of the ensemble well enough to pick them all out. The guys are easier to pick out (Boykin, Elder). Is Claybourne Elder the soldier they like or the other one? Sometimes I feel like I can figure out which one is Ashley Park. I think this sort of score suits her voice better than The King and I. I still think she was an oddly strident Tuptim. I can hear Erin Davie sometimes too. 

I'm curious how "The Dog Song" read in person. Does it come across as funny? To me on the album it sounds unsettling. Though when the little lap dog starts singing I was amused by how much Jake sounded like a muppet. 

"We Do Not Belong Together" is one of my favorite tracks on this new recording. "Beautiful" and "Putting It Together" and "Move On" also came across very clearly. 

How do people feel about the "modern" half in Act 2? There are great songs in Act 2 but story-wise I'm never that fond of having a second generation. It feels a little... obvious.

The Broadway musical Anastasia is set to implement a new box office rush policy beginning October 24. The production will offer 10 $42 tickets, released at the box office each morning. Tickets will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. On two-show days, both shows' rush tickets will be on sale at 10am.

This new rush policy is in addition to the digital lottery currently running.

DEAD. First Waitress. Now Anastasia. Thank you, theater gods.

I didn't know there was a theater forum. I have just started going to see Broadway shows. I am not sure that I like most of these shows, but I love the experience of going to NYC, the theater, and dinner. Early this year, I saw Cate Blanchett in The Present, Wicked, and Sara Bareilles in The Waitress. I am going to see Denzel Washington in The Iceman Cometh and Josh Jackson in Children of the Lesser God next year.

• Love 3

Alex is still kind of oversinging but otherwise a lot of fun. Hailey Kilgore's vocals are not there yet. She's clearly got a great voice but she doesn't have a firm control of it. I mean, just contrast her vocals to someone like Lea Salonga who has power but also technique. Kenita is the only one who seems like she's acting so far because she is brilliant and fantastic. I think I might hold off on seeing this for a while until they get into their groove. Still 100% going to see this but I think they need more rehearsal time and to get in front of an audience. Curious they didn't show the love interest at all. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, aradia22 said:

@SimoneS Welcome! Also, please tell me you like Sara Bareilles in Waitress. The Iceman Cometh is a commitment. Plan ahead when it comes to dinner.

The Waitress was my favorite show. It was funny, well acted and choreographed. I liked the songs. I thought Charity Angél Dawson was the standout as Becky and that Sara was stellar as the lead. Her experience from community theater showed as her acting was as good as her voice. I was struck by how much better she sounded live than on her recordings. Her voice was strong and she had much more range than I expected. My favorite of her performances was to the end when Jenna was singing "She Used to Be Mine." I got the shivers.

We usually go to matinees so thanks for the tip on making early dinner reservations for The Iceman Cometh. I did expect the theater to be packed, but had not thought about the restaurants.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

@SimoneS I'm glad you liked Waitress. For The Iceman Cometh I mean that unless they make cuts, I think the play is very long. It can be 4-5 hours. 

4 or 5 hours? Yikes. I hope they cut it down. Not sure I can sit through a play that long.

I already saw Falsettos once when it aired in cinemas over the summer, but I just saw it again on Great Performances last night on PBS.  In the movie theater, it was my first exposure to the score, and I think William Finn can always be a little tricky the first time through - I loved the show and many of the songs, but I was definitely playing "catch-up" a little and knew I wasn't picking up everything the score had to offer.  I got the cast recording earlier this month, though, and have been listening to it quite regularly, so I was ready and raring to go for last night's airing.

So much love.  I think the show is fantastic (even if the actual "falsettos" thing itself doesn't make a ton of sense to me,) and the production does a fabulous job bringing it to life.  I love the agitation and idiosyncrasies of the characters manifesting themselves in the music, the spare set with the block pieces is used really effectively, and pretty much every cast member is amazing.  Particular shoutouts to Stephanie J. Block for "I'm Breaking Down" (duh!), Andrew Rannells for "The Games I Play," and Christian Borle for the whole damn thing.  This is one that'll stay on my DVR for quite a while.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, angora said:

even if the actual "falsettos" thing itself doesn't make a ton of sense to me

It makes no sense, period. In various online forums over the years, I've offered money to any fan of the musical who can offer a coherent definition of the meaning of "falsettos" as used here, and I've never had to pay. It's consistent (as I see it) with Finn's overall sloppy craftsmanship, throwing in bits that he wants and never mind if they fit or not.  But I said my piece about the show when it played at the movies last summer, and I'm once again delighted that those who like it have such a good video rendition to enjoy. The production is certainly an excellent one.

I have She Loves Me and Falsettos on the DVR. For some reason in my house we keep getting a new DVR every few months so I've lost countless old movies, live specials (Dirty Dancing, Grease, The Wiz), and other filmed plays (Lady Day, All the Way, Act One). 

These will hurt if they go away. I wish there was a way to actually preserve them the way you used to be able to record things to VHS. 

Sacramento Music Circus announced the summer schedule for next year.  I have a problem with one of the shows.

Singin' In the Rain (I have a feeling they won't actually use water)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (This is the one I have a problem with, because of its rapey storyline, but I guess I'll go see it as part of the season ticket.)

Newsies (This is the one they do every year for kids.  I'm happy with this choice.)

Gypsy

Mamma Mia!

Little Shop of Horrors

They said last year that they can't put on productions that are currently on Broadway or doing major tours, so they have to do old war horses.  Still, they do a good job of mixing it up each year.

Edited by Silver Raven

For me, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers works because it ends with a moral (or at least the movie does). Whereas a lot of other stories implicitly condone all the stalking, aggression/persistence, and general "nice guy" behavior by never addressing it as a problem. Seven Brides is like... nope, they were all being dicks. Adam is the most stubborn and the story makes him the outsider, not the protagonist. He misses the birth of his first child and he's estranged from his family. I also think it's significant that even though there's a happy ending, he and Millie have a baby GIRL and not a son. 

Is it the most progressive story? Obviously not. But relatively speaking, I think it ends up being better than others and if they stage it right, the dancing should be fantastic. 

• Love 1

Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo are attached to the development of Moulin Rouge! The Musical.  Part of the charm of the movie is the anachronistic music, this article says they're going to use old songs instead of writing new music (one of my biggest complaints about Sister Act).

Choreography by Sonya Tayeh is going to be ... interesting.  I hope she can do a good tango.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Aaron-Tveit-and-Karen-Olivo-Lead-Developmental-Lab-for-MOULIN-ROUGE-Musical-20171031

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-THE-BOYS-IN-THE-BAND-Will-Come-to-Broadway-This-Spring-with-Jim-Parsons-Zachary-Quinto-Matt-Bomer-Andrew-Rannells-More-20171101

Damn, that cast. Ryan Murphy... wow. Both A+ on playing a long game and making all these connections and also helping to cultivate talent so everyone gets excited about these casts. 

That is awesome.  I would so love to see that.